• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
so if a person

1. has some high tech GPS tracker stashed in their bike seat, and is able to
2. locate their stolen bike at some particular address and
3. cops won't do shit of course

what do you do then? some of y'all are talking like this tracking device is a great idea, are you rambo'ing into some thieves house or what? just curious about what the next step in that plan is
Why do you think the cops won't react? Makes the job so much easier.

The new electric cargo bike of my co-worker had a built-in tracker and the cops were happy they could track down the stolen bike. They found it in a van with some other bikes and arrested the owner.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Also, make sure you are pulling the serial number off the bike and getting that insured if you are really worried about losing a bike. At least that way you can get your money back...depending on whatever the deductible is.

Or just buy cheapo bikes to keep bike thieves from trying to steal your bike.

Doesn't work. someone stole my $50 Walmart bike from in front of a borders store.

Joke's on them. Riding that bike was torture.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Also, don't be a cunt and fly drones over houses and look into people's gardens.

Are you guys serious with this shit? It's probably a waste of time but there is nothing wrong checking backyards from afar.

Also cut it out with the gendered slurs. Makes you look like a trashy, misogynistic piece of shit.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
It wouldn't really prevent your bike from being stolen, and I don't know if a similar system exists in Canada, but the French law now mandates every new and second-hand bike sold by professionals to be tagged using one of the recommended 'anti-theft' systems. Basically, a unique number is securely written on a bike and stored in a database with the name of its owner: if it's stolen and if the police recovers it, they can track the owner through the database, to give them back their bike.
Are you guys serious with this shit? It's probably a waste of time but there is nothing wrong checking backyards from afar.
The idea feels very strange: here in France, as far as I remember, you can't fly a drone over someone else garden or over somewhere pedestrians walk. A couple of years ago, someone filmed the city of Nancy with a drone, I think they did it to promote their drones business. Instead of clients, it was the gendarmerie who came knocking on their door 🤓

Last edited:

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
The idea feels very strange: here in France, as far as I remember, you can't fly a drone over someone else garden or over somewhere pedestrians walk. A couple of years ago, someone filmed the city of Nancy with a drone, I think they did it to promote their drones business. Instead of clients, it was the gendarmerie who came knocking on their door 🤓

Well hopefully OP knows the laws in their country. I think it's likely a waste of time but people are getting way too personal about it. Calling them a creep says more about the poster than the OP.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
-After work I'm going to take my drone and do a grid by grid aerial search of all the backyards in this area.
Your bike being stolen is no reason to invade other people's privacy. This is why drones should be illegal, too many people start snooping. How would you feel if someone peeked into your backyard just because someone stole something and you live in a certain radius?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
locks don't really stop thieves

they only keep the average person honest
Yup, last year I left mine locked in front of an art gallery in broad daylight and returned a few hours later to find that some arse had cut straight through the lock and had off with my cheep bike.

police were as unhelpful as possible

Tricky Diver

Oct 28, 2017
UK / USA
User Warned: Hostility

Also cut it out with the gendered slurs. Makes you look like a trashy, misogynistic piece of shit.

I'm a misogynistic piece of shit because I argued against flying a drone over people's homes and looking into their gardens? Yeah - you and OP are complete assholes (is that gender-neutral enough for you?).

Well hopefully OP knows the laws in their country. I think it's likely a waste of time but people are getting way too personal about it. Calling them a creep says more about the poster than the OP.

After a cursory glance through the thread, nobody called/insinuated the OP was a creep, but advised him against using a drone because it's "weird", "extreme" or otherwise a generally bad idea. OP seems to be the one who assumed that others were accusing him of being a creep and steered the discussion in that direction. Using your logic that does indeed say more about the OP and yourself than anyone else in this thread - another red flag in addition to his refusal to see sense, lack of empathy with respect to why some people may be upset / annoyed by this, and his ridiculous and completely disingenuous analogy to looking out of a plane when landing at an airport. OP does not seem to be acting in good faith and while I'm no expert I seriously doubt the OP would comply with all the proper aviation and data/privacy regs when flying the drone.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I'm a misogynistic piece of shit because I argued against flying a drone over people's homes and looking into their gardens? Yeah - you and OP are complete assholes (is that gender-neutral enough for you?).
You don't have to play dumb, I'm sure you're smart enough to keep up. Like my extremely easy to understand post said, I called you misogynistic because you used a misogynistic gendered slur. I don't care if where you live is a decade behind on social politics, you can personally do better.

Women don't appreciate that word, so wether you're talking to a man or a woman, drop that ugly word from your vocabulary if you don't want to be called out as a piece of shit.

After a cursory glance through the thread, nobody called/insinuated the OP was a creep,
One of them was you, genius.

There is literally no excuse you can make for this that makes the behavior not creepy.
I didn't say anything about perving.

At best it's rude, annoying and invasive. At worst it's pervy, dangerous and creepy.

Last edited:

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Your bike being stolen is no reason to invade other people's privacy. This is why drones should be illegal, too many people start snooping. How would you feel if someone peeked into your backyard just because someone stole something and you live in a certain radius?
let them?

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
Is there a local "stolen bikes" -group on some social media platform?
Bike theft is rampant in my city, helped by there being a lot of bikes around, so there's a FB group where people share pictures of bikes that were stolen (with some identifying info) and pictures of bike that are found and suspected to be stolen. There's a lot of people keeping a semi active watch over marketplaces and the like and report if something's found. It's not always successful, I haven't found my bike that was stolen last month but many others have.

locks don't really stop thieves

they only keep the average person honest
Locks are a good deterrent, but you're right. My last bike was locked and in a locked bicycle carage, and was still taken. There's a problem with organized bike theft in my city.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
Check Craiglist, Gumtree etc. My mate had his bike stolen and it was advertised on Gumtree a week later. He offered to buy it and meet up in the city centre in full view of everyone. Double checked it was his bike and then asked if he could test ride it up and down the street. Guy said that was fine so he just went up the street. On way back he shouted 'you're a fucking cunt' and then just cycled off. What could the thief do? Best story I heard in a long time.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I remember a friend having his bike stolen, spent a few days looking at online sites and lo and behold he saw it for sale.

Contacted the police and managed to get it back.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I got a bike stolen, locked up too. It was one I'd had since I was a preteen and i was like 22 at the time, so I figured godspeed to whoever ended up with it. Most of the parts needed to be replaced.

If they did the work to refurbish the thing, they might have ended up putting in more money to the stolen bike than a new bike would've cost lol.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's why I only ride piece of crap rust buckets living in the city. Just not worth it.

Those things usually don't get stolen if you lock them. (As has been said, locks only prevent people looking for a quick ride, not actual thieves.)

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
One of them was you, genius.
It's always a bit weird having to explain this because it seems so obvious, but calling a behavior creepy (nevermind "at worst creepy", which is what the poster you quoted did) doesn't equal calling the person a creep. Like, if you do something stupid, it doesn't mean you are stupid. Even the smartest people in the world sometimes do stupid things.

Our behavior does define us in large part, but doing something one time doesn't make you what you do.

I'm not personally against OP checking for backyards for his bike and I wouldn't call it creepy in this case, as long as OP only checks for the bikes, but in general I do think it's really good that at least in my country there are rather strict rules related to photographing private property and also rules related to flying drones in general. Generally speaking if someone were to fly drones in people's backyards, I would call that very invasive and creepy behavior and I do understand how someone might call the OP's behavior creepy.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I would highly suggest not confronting anyone by the way. Kids got killed tracking down their iPhones and wanting them back - it's not worth your life. If you are able to track hand it off to the cops.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
You don't have to play dumb, I'm sure you're smart enough to keep up. Like my extremely easy to understand post said, I called you misogynistic because you used a misogynistic gendered slur. I don't care if where you live is a decade behind on social politics, you can personally do better.

Women don't appreciate that word, so wether you're talking to a man or a woman, drop that ugly word from your vocabulary if you don't want to be called out as a piece of shit.
Apologies, I don't want to derail the thread, but I do find the above a little bit too harsh.
Not everyone that uses that slur is to automatically be labelled as a "piece of shit".

I understand suggesting people not to use it, that's fair and I refrain from doing so myself; assuming someone is a piece of shit because they use that word is very toxic, imo.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
You can turn in a police report and watch the stock on Craigslist/Gumtree/etc and your local pawnshops, but it's likely it's a goner and you will need to get another bike. For your other ideas of flying a drone around backyards, I do not know if there are privacy/drone laws in Canada/NB, but you might consider looking into those before flying over people's homes. For the future, consider a GPS tag.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a motorbike this year and had it for exactly one week before it got stolen and I unfortunately did not have insurance when it was stolen so that was $7k down the drain. I'm not sure what it says about me that I tried to look for it but certainly nowhere near as hard as you seem to be looking for your bike lol. I'm not swimming in cash either, that was a big drain in the little money I had but I guess I just took it as a loss and moved on. That's my advice.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Apologies, I don't want to derail the thread, but I do find the above a little bit too harsh.
Not everyone that uses that slur is to automatically be labelled as a "piece of shit".

I understand suggesting people not to use it, that's fair and I refrain from doing so myself; assuming someone is a piece of shit because they use that word is very toxic, imo.
If you're still using that word in 2021…yea I think it's fair to say. I know many people have a vanishingly small amount of respect for women but not using a word that demeans half of our planet's population regardless of if you're using it to insult a man or a woman is the absolute least you can do.

It's one of the few slurs that people still find acceptable on this forum and it's absolutely mind boggling to me that it often goes completely unchallenged. I know that's because it's a worldwide forum and many places are far behind on social politics, but we don't use slurs against sexual orientations or races simply because they're common in some countries.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
My bike got stolen once, so did my brothers and my parents speed bike on a tour.

I lost my bike at a train station, after my last day of school graduation party. Ironically I got pulled aside by 2 cops thinking I was looking for a bike to steal while looking for mine. I told them it was the other way around but never got my bike back.

My brothers bike got stolen at his school, locked and stalled in the bike rack. We reported it but heard nothing.

Both very expensive speed bikes were stolen from my parents when they stopped for a short hike and break during a biking trip while on vacation. Bikes were locked and taken anyway, the local police station didn't speak english or pretended not to speak it and were too occupied with a soccer match on tv to care or help.

Luckily they were insured.

Best advise is get a second hand bike or an inexpensive bike for cities and lock them with a sturdy lock and hope for the best.

Do you go on bike trips with a good bike, look for payed bike storage with security, train stations usually have them.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know the dude who writes this comic. I'm gonna personally tell him this is dumb as fuck

You'd be a bit late to the party. After posting that comic, the guy (dubbed Bike Cuck by the internet) got dunked on for quite some time. There's a YouTube video by DaftPina talking about the mentality of the guy when he made it and how he dealt with the internet fallout afterward.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
It's one of the few slurs that people still find acceptable on this forum and it's absolutely mind boggling to me that it often goes completely unchallenged. I know that's because it's a worldwide forum and many places are far behind on social politics, but we don't use slurs against sexual orientations or races simply because they're common in some countries.
I've always found the acceptability of this word to be pretty weird... I realize it's used in other countries and "doesn't mean the same thing" but like... it has the same roots. I sure wish I'd see it used a hell of a lot less than it is.

Oct 30, 2017
MOst ulocks are useless against angle grinders, which these days is the most common tool of a dedicated bike thief.

However, the best you can get is still worth it to some extent, as the aim is to slow them down enough that they won't bother with it. i.e. make it more difficult to steal than the one next to it.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvMPh6JBBI

I'd still never leave a really valuable bike chained up in public though; anything over about ÂŁ700 is coming with me.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Antagonizing another member over multiple posts, false equivalence about gendered slurs
I mean, it works both ways, and it isn't particularly hard to find you doing the same in other comments. So maybe ease off the criticism of using that word a touch.

e.g.
We both have wives who are stern and masculine so I doubt she would take any shit from him. I shouldn't wonder if he's a dick to her, it would only be my business if it was true and I doubt it tbh.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
If you're still using that word in 2021…yea I think it's fair to say. I know many people have a vanishingly small amount of respect for women but not using a word that demeans half of our planet's population regardless of if you're using it to insult a man or a woman is the absolute least you can do.

Apologies but no, I don't think it's "fair to say" that someone is a piece of shit because they use that slur.

Like I said, I am not advocating for free usage, people should be "educated" or made aware of what the word is, etc. but it does not equate to someone being a piece of shit in my view.

I guess we agree to disagree and close the parenthesis.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Is "dick" not a gendered slur?
Do you think it carries the same weight? Has there been any type of campaign to halt the use of it because men find it repugnant and offensive? Do you think people would continue to use the word cunt if it had no shock value?

I know you think you found a clever gotcha, but you're sadly mistaken. It says quite a bit about you that you honestly believe these are equal in any way. Dick has a dozen other meanings and was literally a common name and shortened version of Richard until recently. Cunt has one meaning, and a hateful past.

An excerpt from Dictionary.com:

"USAGE ALERT ABOUT CUNT
All senses of this word are vulgar slang and are very strongly tabooed and censored. The meanings that refer to a woman and a contemptible person are used with disparaging intent and are perceived as highly insulting and demeaning. There are many words used to refer to people in sexual terms. However, to call a person a cunt, especially a woman, is one of the most hateful and powerful examples of verbal abuse in the English language."

Dick is a "slur" (lol) in the same way that cracker is. I'd you're offended by it, you're probably a male that is trying to be offended by it.

But let's be honest, you're not offended by it. You're either trying to look smart or you're still annoyed at me from some other run in.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think it carries the same weight? Has there been any type of campaign to halt the use of it because men find it repugnant and offensive?

I know you think you found a clever gotcha, but you're sadly mistaken. It says quite a bit about you that you honestly believe these are equal in any way. Dick has a dozen other meanings and was literally a common name until recently. Cunt has one meaning, and a hateful past.

An excerpt from Dictionary.com:

"USAGE ALERT ABOUT CUNT
All senses of this word are vulgar slang and are very strongly tabooed and censored. The meanings that refer to a woman and a contemptible person are used with disparaging intent and are perceived as highly insulting and demeaning. There are many words used to refer to people in sexual terms. However, to call a person a cunt, especially a woman, is one of the most hateful and powerful examples of verbal abuse in the English language."
In both circumstances you are referring to someone's genitals as a negative thing. The only difference is some arbitrary line you've drawn about what's "too far". Please also consider the context of the culture of the person that said it - for example, "cunt" and "dick" as insults in the UK are so far detached from original reference that it's almost irrelevant. It's very different than the US.

I personally have no issue with using either, but at least I'm consistent.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
In both circumstances you are referring to someone's genitals as a negative thing. The only difference is some arbitrary line you've drawn about what's "too far". Please also consider the context of the culture of the person that said it - for example, "cunt" and "dick" as insults in the UK are so far detached from original reference that it's almost irrelevant. It's very different than the US.
And again, would you find it acceptable to use other slurs on this forum because they're common in certain countries?
I personally have no issue with using either, but at least I'm consistent.
Well golly, what a surprise. Who saw that coming?!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

This is hilarious to read as an Australian

Pila

Oct 31, 2017
First they steal OPs bike and now they steal his thread too

Yeah, drones wars and now the whole cunt debate, no one cares about poor OP and their bike lol. ^^

Sorry dude about your stuff, try to forget about it. Flying your drone and think about it for days won't do good for you imo. People suck, move on.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And again, would you find it acceptable to use other slurs on this forum because they're common in certain countries?

Well golly, what a surprise. Who saw that coming?!
You went in pretty hard on someone to the point of being offensive yourself, pointing out that they shouldn't use gendered slurs (despite being happy to use gendered slurs yourself - that is exactly what "dick" is).

And then you infer that the USA, of all places, is comparatively progressive because they treat the word more negatively than other places. At that point, along with the dictionary.com quote, you're losing the argument.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
User Warned: Hostility toward another member
You went in pretty hard on someone to the point of being offensive yourself, pointing out that they shouldn't use gendered slurs (despite being happy to use gendered slurs yourself - that is exactly what "dick" is).

And then you infer that the USA, of all places, is comparatively progressive because they treat the word more negatively than other places. At that point, along with the dictionary.com quote, you're losing the argument.
Lmao, Jesus Christ. I honestly don't think you actually believe the bullshit you're typing so you can keep it to yourself and stop pretending to be offended.

I hope you can get over whatever I said in the past that bothered you, because you've already admitted that those words aren't the cause.

I adore how I'm "losing the argument" because I quoted the dictionary. Good lord lmao, fucking clown.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the Apple Air Tag thread people mentioned wanting to put them on their bikes.

I designed and 3D print a little compartment integrated into a bike reflector, I sell it on Etsy.
Hit me up if you're interested.

I don't know how effective an Air Tag bike recovery would be, but people buy my thing.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, Jesus Christ. I honestly don't think you actually believe the bullshit you're typing so you can keep it to yourself and stop pretending to be offended.

I hope you can get over whatever I said in the past that bothered you, because you've already admitted that those words aren't the cause.

I adore how I'm "losing the argument" because I quoted the dictionary. Good lord lmao, fucking clown.
What I'm upset about is you being so aggressive to that other user in the first place, unfairly accusing them of being a piece of shit. It wasn't necessary, and was hypocritical given that you are also happy to use gendered slurs yourself.

What I will say is that I shouldn't have quoted your comment from that other thread. I think finding that inconsistency was relevant, but posting it was probably too far, so I apologise for that.