• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many fans have recreated old Mario games in different engines or in different styles. But one fan and his young kids are doing something different. They're creating a totally original Mario game based on the animated segments from the popular Super Mario Bros. Super Show and it looks amazing.

The fan game is being developed by Jesus Lopez, an animator who has worked on various video games including The Simpsons Tapped Out, Ducktales Remastered and Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero. He is working alongside his two young children, who are helping with artwork and programming. He has been working on the project for nearly three years.

edfzwczukzllqwnvz1pd.gif

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Even if this doesn't get C&D'd by some miracle, they probably should have made an original game based off a fake video game cartoon, because holy fuck this looks like a ton of work for something that they'll never see a single cent from.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's made from scratch, it won't get C&D. It's not stealing any assets.
isn't it still using the likeness of mario?

Even if this doesn't get C&D'd by some miracle, they probably should have made an original game based off a fake video game cartoon, because holy fuck this looks like a ton of work for something that they'll never see a single cent from.
yeah that's what i'm thinking, it looks gorgeous, it'd be a shame if it never comes out as an actual game. making it based on original characters would have been the better move.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Even if it were an original game, they're unlikely to become rich with it or anything

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't it still using the likeness of mario?

It is but you're allowed to use other characters for parodies or joke purposes. I guess this mainly depends on if it's too close to the original SMB show (and if nintendo even still cares about it) but i'd say it's unlikely for this to get C&D.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even as a kid i thought the show's aesthetic/animation was ugly af. very impressive but at the same time ... yuck

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It is but you're allowed to use other characters for parodies or joke purposes. I guess this mainly depends on if it's too close to the original SMB show (and if nintendo even still cares about it) but i'd say it's unlikely for this to get C&D.
It's a very interesting case. I mean yeah, it's definitely Mario and Company, on the other hand, Nintendo has such a strong disdain for the American-made stuff it'd hard for them to imagine them speaking up and saying "Hey, that's OURS". It's true, technically speaking, but it's a little funny to think about. It;s so different from the source material I'd almost say they're protected by parody.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a parody, it is literally Super Mario.
They're not doing it for the money though
How many times do people need to repeat it: It isn't about money! It is using the work of somebody else, without there agreement. Like anything in the world, you can't just use the stuff of other people.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow looks great, too bad the guy couldnt just keep his mouth shut, this thing is nuked out from orbit weeks end

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
This looks incredible! Sadly, Nintendo will be douchebags and threaten with a C&D. Nintendo would be smart to look into funding this project alongside the creators.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Willing to eat crow but I dunno why people assume this is gonna be C&D'd. The only fan games I've seen C&D'd are games that bold-facedly ape/remake games and direct assets of existing Nintendo titles, like the Super Mario 64 Unity remake and Mario Battle Royale.

If Nintendo had beef with fan games they'd have shut down Mario Fan Games Galaxy years ago. Hell we'd have Super Mario Flashback shut down years ago. I don't really think Nintendo give a shit that someone's making a fan game that has Super Show's aesthetic.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
biggest problem here is that Nintendo isn't the only company with an interest in moving against this sort of project

the show was made by DIC and Saban and distributed in the US by Viacom

good luck navigating all that

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this kinda makes me sad too, that nintendo is so un-adventurous when it comes to the art style of 2D mario games.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
King Koopa was the Mario villian of my childhood, not this modern day Bowser. I hope this game makes it!

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how that works. They're using the intellectual property. That's straight up a version of Mario. If it were a parody it'd have to be legally distinct like making a character called Plumber Man who's orange and has a P on his hat or something.
Tell that to the website that has literally been hosting hundreds of Mario fan games for over a decade and has been well known for a long time, without Nintendo taking any real action.

Y'all are kinda fearmongering right now.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if this is the next Super Mario Maker 2 DLC tileset we all didn't see coming

Sean Noonan

Lead Level Designer at Splash Damage
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
UK
Interesting... wonder how long it would have before Nintendo/DHX Media jumps on it.

Asking for a friend...