• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.chimerascomics.com/win-comic-book-store/

$

WHAT MAKES A GREAT COMIC BOOK STORE?
What makes a great comic book store? Tell me what you think, and I might give you my store.
You read that right.
I'm giving away a local comic shop. The inventory, the fixtures, the goodwill, the customer base, six years of history…and it can all be yours. Think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

WAIT, WHY?
Since 2013, Chimera's Comics has brought its signature service, selection, and style to Oak Lawn. I recently faced the hard fact that I can no longer give it the attention it deserves, because I'm spread thin between my duties as an attorney, Chimera's Comics La Grange location, and the new publishing branch of Chimera's Comics.
There has been a comic book store in Oak Lawn since I was a baby. It's where I grew up. But the store needs someone there who will love it and take care of it the way I can't anymore.
I want someone who will love it, someone with passion and ideas and ambition to make this store amazing. Is that you?

HOW DOES IT WORK?
All you have to do is apply. There will be a small application fee, and you will have no more than 500 words to answer one question:
What makes a great comic book store?
I will choose the best answer, and give that person a chance to live their dream.
This is not a raffle, not a drawing or a lottery. This is entirely merit-based and I will decide the winner in my sole and absolute discretion.

LIMITED TIME ONLY – AND EVEN MORE LIMITED SPACE
I will accept application starting February 1, 2019. I will announce the full terms, conditions, and rules then.
But you can't wait to enter – the contest ends either February 28, 2019 OR when I receive 2,000 applications – whichever happens first.
Sign up below and I will email you the moment we start accepting application, so you can be one of the first to apply. Remember, time is limited and so are the number of spots – so you'll want to apply ASAP.
This email list will be the first place I announce the contest is live, so you'll have the best chance of getting in.
Now is your chance to seize your destiny. Live your dream. No more "buts" or fears or "what ifs" or "if only." I will remove the barrier to you and your dream. Are you brave enough to take it?

Keep moving forward,
Carmelo Chimera

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need a plane ticket to Chicago and a ghost writer stat

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I will stop selling comics, because comics are dumb. We will only sell Funko Pops of comic book characters.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is the store profitable? Someone gets it but then is stuck with rent and utilities they can't afford to pay?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
So they aren't giving away the location + inventory, just the inventory?

That's what I'm getting from it, yeah. Seems like you'd still have to pay rent and utilities on the place.

Running a comic shop could be fun, but it certainly wouldn't be easy, and there's not a lot of profit in it.

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
I used to go to their LaGrange location when I lived in that area. It was a nice store that did a good job avoiding an overwhelming inventory of Funko Pops and action figures. But it was best to stay away from the shop during their various gaming nights because those would take over the whole store. I wish whoever gets it luck. Running a comic shop these days is rough.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"pay me money to ask to take over my retail shop in a business famous for not making any fucking money, because I can't be bothered"

nerds are actually going to do this

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly and he wants applications ASAP before he gives out all the terms and conditions. That with we accept apps on the first, but sign up and we'll email when we start accepting? I don't trust this guy with my e-mail or an app fee.

Though I do wonder what the gift tax on this would be.

No gift tax. The giver of gifts does not have to pay tax on gifts until the value of gifts he/she has given in their lifetime exceed $11,180,000.
The recipient would not pay taxes.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
No gift tax. The giver of gifts does not have to pay tax on gifts until the value of gifts he/she has given in their lifetime exceed $11,180,000.
The recipient would not pay taxes.
I was thinking State not federal. Did a tiny google search on Illinois, but the info was dated 2013 and couldn't be bothered to really try to find a more update answer. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this was under the limit.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So 2000 times that application fee can make a pretty nice sum, especially if it's something like 10$.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking State not federal. Did a tiny google search on Illinois, but the info was dated 2013 and couldn't be bothered to really try to find a more update answer. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this was under the limit.

Ah yes, good point. Looks like there is no gift tax in IL, but amounts gifted in excess of the federal annual exclusion will reduce your IL estate tax lifetime exclusion limit.

But yeah, I highly doubt that the inventory is worth enough to make a significant impact.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
If he just wants the application fee to cut down on spam, he should just hold the money on something akin to bond until after the contest is over.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
The small application fee is to make up the cost of selling the thing. Someone is doing the same thing with a mansion in Canada.

Still, cool opportunity for someone to take over a fun business out of nowhere. Not big on comics and nowhere near Chicago to take the risk myself. Good luck to anyone going for it

Fishious

Oct 27, 2017
At first glance this seems pretty cool, but ultimately the fine print is going to be what makes or breaks this. What does the winner get? The inventory and fixtures or the location as well? Does the winner take on the company's existing debt? If it doesn't include the physical store is the winner expected to keep the business at that exact same location and for how long? I'm not familiar with Chimera since I'm not from the area, but apparently they have 2 locations and a publishing arm? Is the new owner essentially going to be totally independent, a franchisee, or something else.

I'll admit I'm more than a bit suspicious, especially since I don't think 500 words is enough to determine if somebody will be a good store owner. I'd personally use that as stage 1 to get the word out and alert potentially interested parties. Ultimately I'd want to narrow down the potential candidates to a reasonable number and then conduct interviews. You know, assuming this isn't all a scam.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
This is a great location. I used to frequent it when i lived in the burbs of chicago. Its really close to a train station to chicago and is in a decent litte downtown area. Best of luck to whoever gets it

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just a comic book shop? Because if it is, I ain't touching it with a 100 mile pole.

There's a reason most comic stores have gone out of business, y'know.....

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just a comic book shop? Because if it is, I ain't touching it with a 100 mile pole.

Yeah, it's all digital nowadays, or you can just order the physical versions online and pay less. Myself, when I was still buying them, I would go to my local shop, but I went there because the owner was cool, and because I like to support small businesses (that I like). There was no "need" to go there, though.

I could see running a store if you're debt-free, semi-retired, and just want something to do. Otherwise, it's not really a good business to get into.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Okay, whoever is going in on this, I want to know your business model...and if you will be willing to buy my mint condition issues of the nineties Gambit miniseries?

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This a trap, I bet they hemorrhage money.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I'm gonna submit a 500 word essay of just a single word. Or phrase repeating. That should be original right?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

If there's one thing I learned from listening to Comic Conspiracy, it's that you have to be 100% on your Marvel and DC numbers to maintain a comic store.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I dont want none simply because its chicago. I'd never be warm again. Though the close proximity to both the Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct studios as well as Galloping Ghost arcade has made me consider that area in the past.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
So he said he MIGHT give it away and there is an application fee?

If lawyers weren't known for their honesty I might be suspicious