• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What say you?

• #TeamCutContent

Votes: 294 26.4%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 179 16.1%
  • #TeamMod

Votes: 366 32.9%
  • #TeamARG

Votes: 274 24.6%

• Total voters

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Checking reddit that poster seems to only post about this, which is fishy. Also, I am pretty sure even if it is console only secret, you can datamine PS4 games too.
I will only accept it as real if that is actually Yoko Taro himself shitposting and showing cut content from an internal build.
You know I... wouldn't put it past Yoko Taro.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has only played a couple hours of Nier (something I plan to rectify eventually), which part is the hidden door? The smaller one in the wall, or the larger one at the end that leads into the rotating hallway?

If it's the latter it would be easier to fake, but if it's the former, that's really interesting since the enemies follow a bit into it (suggesting all the AI pathing, etc, checks out).

Everything from the first door that's hidden in the wall.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
If it's real it's an astonishing find. If it's fake it shows a level of modding that was previously not thought possible in Nier.

Very exciting.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

I see, thanks. That's super interesting then, a lot of new geometry and animations that seem to fit with the rest of the environment.

If Nier can't be modded this way, I'd almost wonder if they made it themselves in Unreal or whatever (with the original assets). Would have to believably recreate the game's combat and such though. This is impressive either way, a great fake or a legit secret.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Some are saying it might in a specific patch that the dataminers don't have access to.

It's been a while since I've used a PS4, but there's a way to see what update a game is running right?

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You know the thing is I could totally see Yoko Taro getting a team to help him add a fake secret into the level and then posting it anonymously on Reddit just to fuck with people

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Lance McDonald is such an authority on hacking and data mining, so if he doesn't have the means to add something like that with a mod then I have to believe it's unmodded. I feel like every game developer has the duty to add shit like this though. I want new things to be discovered all the time, years after release, through pure chance.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
only accessible in the Switch version

There are playstation buttons, so either PS4 or PC (The user in question says PS4)

Some are saying it might in a specific patch that the dataminers don't have access to.

*if* it is real, that's the most likely explanation i would say.

Maybe this is the start of the marketing for Nier 3.

Can you believe it's been OVER 5 YEARS??? and not even an announcement yet.
Us Taro fans are starving.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is weirdly interesting. Even if it just turns out to be an ad for new mod tools or whatever, I'm intrigued.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
The way the person types and the mentioning of his mom in one of his past comments makes me think this is just some kid so I'm going with real. Maybe it's some old unpatched version of the game that you can no longer access if you're up to date. Either way, interesting stuff.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
The original poster of the videos has also confirmed it is for the PS4.

It isn't impossible for the PS4 version to have differences. Undertale for example has slightly different content for each console version. And knowing Yoko Taro... well...

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Can it not be tested to see between version differences if its the ps4 or pc version? Ie antialiasing frames etc?

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
something to note is that Lance never says if they feel like its fake or not. just explains the state of modding

also I love how the reddit thread is also secretly a thread for everyone shout how many times they've completed nier

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That's fascinating. I have two main theories about this, both involving cut content rather than a secret EE.

1: he's playing the game off the disk and never once updated the game, and this is some content that was cut from the game at launch and meant to show a more expanded copied city.

2: He's playing the latest version and this is some cut/changed DLC entrance that was accidentally left in the game and somehow triggered.

However, neither of these things really make sense to me, since this is something that he's been able to very clearly repeat multiple times…

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
adding a turd to the latrine, what if this is gonna lead into being a creepypasta

they often start like this

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
Could be some kid that's really good with blender? The amount of work though to get it to line like that gameplay tho...

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i hope this is real cause that's really cool. i dont remember all those enemies in the copied city tho and it seems absurd that it was found this way and no one can replicate it yet.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot how good the animations were in this game. She moves like a ballerina/gymnast. So Flippy and flexible.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been going back and forth on if this is real or not.

I am starting to be convinced it's fake, but I'm still not sure how. If it's blender or something built in another engine it would take an insane amount of effort and talent to create such a 1:1 copy. It just doesn't seem possible.

I'm thinking that someone has cracked environment modding and hasn't told the rest of the community yet. If I wanted to pick anywhere in the game to mod in such a way and make it look legit, I would pick the copied city due to the lack of texturing, and OP deflecting with "mom didn't want me to take up too much space" is just way too suspect.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could be some kid that's really good with blender? The amount of work though to get it to line like that gameplay tho...

Nah, this is leagues beyond that. It's game footage it would be too much to replicate the amount of footage as a fake like WAAAY to much

The real issue is that if it's a mod then someone has way more knowledge of the game than a whole community who's hobby is modding the game. They can create stuff no one else can which is for so many reasons on it's own staggering and unrealistic

The most common assumption is it's an easter egg or potential DLC area patched out of other version and the PS4 version with a later update. OP claims to be on version 1.00. Extracting the PS4 assets is hard enough because they're not the same as the PC assets and no one has really bothered prior to this really but it doesn't match the known PS4 extracted assets.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I LOVE things like this.

So just to confirm;

1) other folks have gone to this location and the prompt doesn't show up?

2) do we know where it goes??

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
I'm ready for this to be faked, but I do still love it.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
2) do we know where it goes??

BlandUnconsciousCuscus-max-1mb.gif

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Very cool. Very bizarre. Very "I'm tempted to dig out my PS4 disc, play offline to get no update and see if I can repeat this before the inevitable disappointment of it not being true".

Regardless of how this turns out, its very cool. Either it's real and there's more of Nier Automata than we're aware of, it's fake and someone has very lovingly crafted this which shows impressive amounts of work and we can see what their talents can be used for elsewhere or it's real, but modded in and the tools are much more advanced than we realised and the modding scene can start to explode.

Although on the other hand, this is a Yoko Taro game and between #TeamReal and #TeamFake I'm on #TeamYokoTaroIsPersonallyFuckingWithUs

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's pretty interesting! I wonder if there's something story relevant in the church or if it's "just" architecture.

I could see it being an ARG leading into Nier 3.