• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Update on the situation

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(Update 8/9/2020) : https://www.resetera.com/threads/someone-has-been-emotionally-abusing-me-for-months-and-i-don't-know-what-to-do.248440/#post-42087720 )

This person is a good person. They care deeply about so many people and causes and for the longest time I considered them a true friend. Only recently am I realizing how much emotional weight I've had to carry because of them. This is partly because I went into therapy because of this and am now understanding more about myself.

I feel like I have two options here- cut them out of my life as much as I can, or let them know what they've done to me for the last few months because I know 100% that they have no idea, and I know they could grow and learn from this as I have (I'm worried they could be treating others in this way as well). I'm just scared at what their reaction will be.

In any case I know the right move is to distance myself from them, which I've done. I feel like I owe it to them to tell them how they're behaving. But I can't tell if that's me wanting the satisfaction of that confrontation or if I genuinely want them to grow. I just don't know what to do.

Last edited:

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
if you care about the relationship you should tell them, but be ready to walk away if they aren't willing to own up to how they've hurt you. ultimately it doesn't do you any good to suffer if it's for nothing
I feel like I need a little more detail here though

this too. how have they been hurting you in such a way that you're still convinced they're good people? are they even aware of what they're doing?

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If it's unintentional, you should probably talk to them about it. I feel like I need a little more detail here though. How are they stressing you out while also being a really good person that you considered a true friend?

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you think they'll grow and learn from it, I'd definitely talk to them about it. If they truly care about people, they'll be willing to be introspective. If they're hostile about it, be ready to drop the friendship. Sorry you've had to put up with this, OP.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
You can ghost them if you have a legitimate fear WRT how they might react, esp if it entails possible violence.

You don't owe them a thing.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
if you care about the relationship you should tell them, but be ready to walk away if they aren't willing to own up to how they've hurt you. ultimately it doesn't do you any good to suffer if it's for nothing

this too. how have they been hurting you in such a way that you're still convinced they're good people? are they even aware of what they're doing?
Sorry I'm being vague on details y'all. They are not aware of what they're doing. I don't want to get into specifics as I don't want this to get back to them.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to say anything because I do not know the person or the kinds of things they have been saying/doing. But I know if between my best friends I would really want to know if I was hurting them in any way and vice versa. A big part of me says to talk to them especially if you value the person.

On the other hand I know how the struggle to bring some stuff up. There are a couple things with some loved ones that happened in the past between us that wasn't very great and I honestly think talking about it would reopen some wounds and make things worse.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It must be real rough.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I'm being vague on details y'all. They are not aware of what they're doing. I don't want to get into specifics as I don't want this to get back to them.

You don't owe us anything, just as you don't owe that person anything.

If you honestly think they could grow from it, and it would give you (not them) catharsis, I think it's worthwhile to tell them. If they react negatively in any way, you cut them out of your life immediately.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks y'all for the kind words.

You don't owe us anything, just as you don't owe that person anything.

If you honestly think they could grow from it, and it would give you (not them) catharsis, I think it's worthwhile to tell them. If they react negatively in any way, you cut them out of your life immediately.

I think you just solved it for me. I felt like it would be wrong to bring it up if only I was getting catharsis, but honestly I really need that, and if they are as true a friend as I hope they are they will grow. That makes so much sense to me. Thank you.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017

I think you just solved it for me. I felt like it would be wrong to bring it up if only I was getting catharsis, but honestly I really need that, and if they are as true a friend as I hope they are they will grow. That makes so much sense to me. Thank you.

I hope it's helpful, but most of all I hope the outcome is beneficial for you. I know things a grim a lot of times right now, but I still hold out hope that people can be better.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Just be careful in setting your boundaries, it can be easy for these things to turn round and end up being you comforting them for feeling bad in how they treated you, and you don't want to end up in a situation were they are acting like the victim. You need to try and shut that stuff down early if it starts, though it is easier said then done. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Those are the telltale signs of a narcissistic person, someone who cares about a lot of things and is very vocal about them but sucks out the soul of their close ones and forces a huge emotional burden on them. You can try and tell them, but if this person has made you feel like that systematically for a long time, I'm afraid I don't have hopeful words to say about your relationship with this person.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just be careful in setting your boundaries, it can be easy for these things to turn round and end up being you comforting them for feeling bad in how they treated you, and you don't want to end up in a situation were they are acting like the victim. You need to try and shut that stuff down early if it starts, though it is easier said then done. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.
That's a great point. I can easily see that happening. I will definitely watch out for that.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Those are the telltale signs of a narcissistic person, someone who cares about a lot of things and is very vocal about them but sucks out the soul of their close ones and forces a huge emotional burden on them. You can try and tell them, but if this person has made you feel like that systematically for a long time, I'm afraid I don't have hopeful words to say about your relationship with this person.
I'm not blameless in all this- I kept giving and giving and giving to them- but I have hope they're not actively aware of how used and abused I feel.

When I told a few of my friends about my realization they weren't surprised and told me they warned me about them numerous times and I would brush it off. I don't even remember doing that but it makes sense.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Look, sometimes there's a dynamic between people that just isn't healthy. I don't know this person but it's not in your best interest to consider the worst of outcomes, and it certainly isn't a good idea to start psycho-analyzing on your own here: narcissists are far and few between (I'm saying that because some comments here are pretty wild...), and most of the time we're simply dealing with a situation where the dynamic has been established and communication is bad. This is fairly common if you're the type of person that avoids conflict (I'm seeing you "brushed it off" whenever you were made aware of something not right); we tend to compromise with ourselves in order to keep our relationships good and stabile.

My rule of thumb is to never to compromise on my own happiness in other to make someone else feel good about themselves. Likewise, I stay away from people who makes me feel insecure about myself. That is fortunately a rare thing, but we have all been in love with someone who couldn't return that affection.

Unless this reaction you fear is due to a knowledge of violent tendencies or otherwise, I think you should simply confront this person. Refrain from being judgemental and explain your side of this ordeal. It is good to write down what you need to say and how. You may experience a willingness to change, or you may not, but at least you made the attempt to better the situation and you also get to become more relaxed about confrontations, which will inevitably occur in life. Yes, you're likely to be met with a verbal reaction if this person isn't the wiser about their behaviour; I have rarely met a person who admits to bad behaviour if that hasn't been the intend; in my experience that reaction is natural and it mostly comes down to confusion or the person wanting to avoid the feeling of shame (that is, that suckerpunch-feeling that strikes them when they suddenly realize they have hurt someone). Some feel outright betrayed by such accusations. Sit through the reaction. I have had confrontations where people wanted to throw me out the door and 10 minutes afterwards we laugh. When our emotions run wild we tend to behave irrational, but as long as it isn't violent it's just words, and I don't think words have much weight if they're based in impulsive reactions.

It isn't your responsibility to teach them anything. What is your responsibility is your well being. If you want to continue to have this person in your life then change is needed. You have to ask yourself if that's in your interest. Secondly, that can only happen through communication. We do not know what the other person is thinking, and we will never learn if we don't talk.

Should you choose to confront the person, I would advice you to have one sentence in mind in case the situation turns into a debate about who did what and why. You can even use it if you're experiencing them drifting off subject. It's simple, and it goes like this: "This is about my feelings. I'm not scared to lose a bad friend; I'm scared to be in a bad relationship".

It's important to make them aware of the fact that you're not judging them but rather explaining yourself. Again, many people don't like to be considered bad or mean, and if this person indeed has many good qualities then it may be harder for that person to understand how this has come to be. Therefore you need to keep making it about you because that's exactly what it is: it's about you and this person can't be allowed to make it about them before they understand what you feel.

Just keep in mind that it isn't about winning. I'm not directing that at you; you have nothing to lose, seeing as you don't mind distancing yourself, as you write. I'm saying it because this person may feel like they have to win in the moment. For pride or otherwise. People with a competetive mindset don't like to feel like they're losing the situation. But you have to control the situation. Honestly, think of it as a balancing act and just listen and note whenever things steer away from feelings and becomes about judging and such. If you hear something like "what about you when you..." - don't answer accusations. If you want to accuse each other you may well do it over text.

However, you don't own them anything. If you're uncomfortable with the thought, you're in your right to avoid the confrontation. In time, maybe they will reach out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If it's unintentional, you should probably talk to them about it. I feel like I need a little more detail here though. How are they stressing you out while also being a really good person that you considered a true friend?
Yeah, I don't think there's enough here to go on. You absolutely do *not* have to go into any more detail, OP. But I don't know if I would take any advice from here because there's just not enough to give good advice from. It seems like something to go into depth with to your therapist.

demonicmurry

Oct 26, 2017
I am in the exact same position as you. I thought I was getting something back, but I realize there hasn't been equity in our relationship if you can even call it that--not even a proper friendship. I've decided to ghost for a while to get some space and figure out my wants and needs. Based on how they have been acting and the subtle manipulation I don't believe I owe them anything at this point. We'll see when I get back in contact. Do what is best for you and what you need to do to heal. When you are in a better place then you can give them the benefit to tell the person, but not when you're at this raw emotional stage at this point. It'll be too much hardship on your end and not on the other person, honestly.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Look, sometimes there's a dynamic between people that just isn't healthy. I don't know this person but it's not in your best interest to consider the worst of outcomes, and it certainly isn't a good idea to start psycho-analyzing on your own here: narcissists are far and few between (I'm saying that because some comments here are pretty wild...), and most of the time we're simply dealing with a situation where the dynamic has been established and communication is bad. This is fairly common if you're the type of person that avoids conflict (I'm seeing you "brushed it off" whenever you were made aware of something not right); we tend to compromise with ourselves in order to keep our relationships good and stabile.

My rule of thumb is to never to compromise on my own happiness in other to make someone else feel good about themselves. Likewise, I stay away from people who makes me feel insecure about myself. That is fortunately a rare thing, but we have all been in love with someone who couldn't return that affection.

Unless this reaction you fear is due to a knowledge of violent tendencies or otherwise, I think you should simply confront this person. Refrain from being judgemental and explain your side of this ordeal. It is good to write down what you need to say and how. You may experience a willingness to change, or you may not, but at least you made the attempt to better the situation and you also get to become more relaxed about confrontations, which will inevitably occur in life. Yes, you're likely to be met with a verbal reaction if this person isn't the wiser about their behaviour; I have rarely met a person who admits to bad behaviour if that hasn't been the intend; in my experience that reaction is natural and it mostly comes down to confusion or the person wanting to avoid the feeling of shame (that is, that suckerpunch-feeling that strikes them when they suddenly realize they have hurt someone). Some feel outright betrayed by such accusations. Sit through the reaction. I have had confrontations where people wanted to throw me out the door and 10 minutes afterwards we laugh. When our emotions run wild we tend to behave irrational, but as long as it isn't violent it's just words, and I don't think words have much weight if they're based in impulsive reactions.

It isn't your responsibility to teach them anything. What is your responsibility is your well being. If you want to continue to have this person in your life then change is needed. You have to ask yourself if that's in your interest. Secondly, that can only happen through communication. We do not know what the other person is thinking, and we will never learn if we don't talk.

Should you choose to confront the person, I would advice you to have one sentence in mind in case the situation turns into a debate about who did what and why. You can even use it if you're experiencing them drifting off subject. It's simple, and it goes like this: "This is about my feelings. I'm not scared to lose a bad friend; I'm scared to be in a bad relationship".

It's important to make them aware of the fact that you're not judging them but rather explaining yourself. Again, many people don't like to be considered bad or mean, and if this person indeed has many good qualities then it may be harder for that person to understand how this has come to be. Therefore you need to keep making it about you because that's exactly what it is: it's about you and this person can't be allowed to make it about them before they understand what you feel.

Just keep in mind that it isn't about winning. Not for your sake; you have nothing to lose, seeing as you don't mind distancing yourself not. But they may feel like they have to. For pride or otherwise. Control the situation. Listen and note whenever things steer away from feelings and becomes about judging and such.

However, you don't own them anything. If you're uncomfortable with the thought, you're in your right to avoid the confrontation. In time, maybe they will reach out.
This is incredibly helpful. I'm definitely going to make some notes about all the points I want to make with them. Thank you so so much.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Not much to go on, so we can't give any feedback other than:

- Ask your therapist what you should do.
- Your personal happiness is more important than this person. Never forget that.
- If this person is so good, then perhaps their manipulations are not entirely intentional, sometimes relationship dynamics are established, and they are fundamentally unequal. This can be renegotiated.
- Unless this is a situation where violence is possible. Consider talking to the person. Suffering in silence is not a thing.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not blameless in all this- I kept giving and giving and giving to them- but I have hope they're not actively aware of how used and abused I feel.

When I told a few of my friends about my realization they weren't surprised and told me they warned me about them numerous times and I would brush it off. I don't even remember doing that but it makes sense.

There's a quote I see out there quite a bit and while it's a bit cheesy I think it applies here - "Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm".

If you choose to talk to them about what you are feeling and it doesn't go the way you envision you need to seriously consider going low or no contact for your own wellbeing. Good luck.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
If you feel like they're truly a good person, and you're not concerned about their potential reaction to talking to them about it (violence, harassment, or otherwise), I would just talk to them about it. Like you said, they very well may not be cognizant of their own behavior and the way it affects others. That said, be prepared for them not to take it well. Most people don't take being told they're being shitty well. Try to get your point(s) across as succinctly and firmly as possible, and if they start to get defensive or move into gas-lighting territory, be prepared to cut the conversation short and let them simmer on their own. Assure them you're doing this to retain your friendship, but that you need them to consider your feelings in order to do that. After a few days hopefully you can reconvene and they can own up to their behavior with an earnest effort at changing. If they don't see their behavior as a problem, or if time goes on and they continue the problematic behavior, you should be prepared to cut things off then most likely.

This advice completely lacks nuance though since there may be specifics about your situation that I'm not taking into account here, but generally if you want this person in your life still but you need them to make adjustments to their behavior, being open about how it's affecting you and being firm on your expectations is going to be the only way they will realistically make any progress.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks y'all. To be clear I have no threats of violence or anything hanging above me on this so I'm not worried about that. I am afraid of losing their friends over this, but I don't think that's a well enough reason to stay silent.
There's a quote I see out there quite a bit and while it's a bit cheesy I think it applies here - "Don't set yourself on fire to keep someone else warm".

If you choose to talk to them about what you are feeling and it doesn't go the way you envision you need to seriously consider going low or no contact for your own wellbeing. Good luck.

What a great quote. That is so me. That is me in so many ways.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Well, that's a huge red flag. If friends and family all consistently tell you a person is abusing you, you should give it some consideration. Beware that when you confront this person they might try to make you feel bad about it, maybe try to get you to feel bad, empathize and do the emotional work for them, like you pretty much are saying they do. You might confront this person seeking an apology and their comfort, and you might be the one apologizing and comforting them. Beware these dynamics.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about setting yourself on fire again to warm them. Sounds like therapy is doing it's job (nice work btw!) in recognizing these patterns and the behavior. If you're (more) aware of previous and potential pitfalls you're better equipped to avoid them. If you do have concerns however, talk to your therapist about it. Sounds like you've got a good one. Good luck!

Edit: this could even be a valuable learning experience. Especially if you know you are susceptible to emotional manipulation. Do it, and talk it over/explore it with your therapist. If you want, of course.

Last edited:

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
"I feel (emotion) when you (explanation/situation)."

Tell this person how you feel when they do the things they do and focus on those feelings instead of what they're doing wrong. This way you decrease the chances of a defensive reaction. You're not giving them criticism, you're just telling them how they feel. They can't tell you you're wrong to feel that way. I mean, they CAN but they'd be wrong to. Then try to go from there. Maybe it's something to discuss with your therapist beforehand.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
If you feel it's unintentional and you care about the relationship, I would suggest you let them know what they are doing. I would be ready to accept that they may not like it or stop and at that point you may need to cut them out of your life.

This is all of course without more context, but it sounds to me that they may listen to you and take steps to prevent causing you harm, which is definitely a good thing if they are able to stick with it!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There is not enough information here for anyone to give you good specific advice. So as a general piece of knowledge if you think confronting this person will help you feel better and move on then by all means. If it is just for their sake dont bother. Just move on from them.

Update
OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well it happened today, it seemed like a good time to do it since they were in good spirits. So I brought it up, and it went terribly. They accused me of being unfair to them, and things got so heated that they had to be quiet since they were holding back so much rage. I was completely unprepared for that, and ended up apologizing which makes me feel like an even bigger idiot now, but I just wasn't strong enough to plow through. They have the impression that I was angry that they weren't gracious enough to me, which wasn't at all what I was trying to explain but I just got flustered in the moment.

The one solstice in this is that whatever I thought was there, even now at this point, is gone. So the door is closed for me, not by myself but by them, and honestly I think I was weak enough to probably open that door in the future if I had that chance.

I feel weird. I think if I was still close to them I'd be mortified at the new impression they have of me but...it doesn't matter anymore. It's time for me to move on to people that actually like me for who I am instead of me trying to conform to someone I'm not just to please them.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I feel bad I let y'all down in a way since I wasn't able to pull it together during the moment but I'm glad this chapter is finally closed.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
You didn't let anyone down. Be proud of yourself for doing the right thing for yourself. Even if you feel bad about it now, you won't in the future.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks geomon, that does mean a lot.

Do whats good for you man.

Also, if you feel like you get flustered easily, you may want to write this sort of thing out in the future. That way, you can have an easy reference.

This helps tremendously. Some people are just better at confrontation and rhetoric than others. That DOES NOT make their points necessarily more valid.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
Well it happened today, it seemed like a good time to do it since they were in good spirits. So I brought it up, and it went terribly. They accused me of being unfair to them, and things got so heated that they had to be quiet since they were holding back so much rage. I was completely unprepared for that, and ended up apologizing which makes me feel like an even bigger idiot now, but I just wasn't strong enough to plow through. They have the impression that I was angry that they weren't gracious enough to me, which wasn't at all what I was trying to explain but I just got flustered in the moment.

The one solstice in this is that whatever I thought was there, even now at this point, is gone. So the door is closed for me, not by myself but by them, and honestly I think I was weak enough to probably open that door in the future if I had that chance.

I feel weird. I think if I was still close to them I'd be mortified at the new impression they have of me but...it doesn't matter anymore. It's time for me to move on to people that actually like me for who I am instead of me trying to conform to someone I'm not just to please them.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I feel bad I let y'all down in a way since I wasn't able to pull it together during the moment but I'm glad this chapter is finally closed.

Even if this didn't go how you thought it would in your head, being out of that relationship is 100% the best outcome for you. I hope you can feel that way that eventually and move past those emotions of sadness/feeling like you did something wrong.

OP
OP
chubigans

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do whats good for you man.

Also, if you feel like you get flustered easily, you may want to write this sort of thing out in the future. That way, you can have an easy reference.

This helps tremendously. Some people are just better at confrontation and rhetoric than others. That DOES NOT make their points necessarily more valid.
Even if this didn't go how you thought it would in your head, being out of that relationship is 100% the best outcome for you. I hope you can feel that way that eventually and move past those emotions of sadness/feeling like you did something wrong.
Thank y'all so much, I know this is definitely for the best moving forward. Honestly if it turned out the way I wanted it to that would have opened the door for me to get hurt again later on.