• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you do if someone calls you the wrong name?

• Just go with it and eventually they’ll realize there mistake

Votes: 129 27.3%
  • Correct them at a later time

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • Correct them immediately

Votes: 297 62.9%

• Total voters

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People always say my last name wrong, I don't really care unless it's a official document.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If it's another name starting with the same letter. Then I forgive them. If it's something totally left field then the knives are coming out.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Back when I was bartending I had a customer call me by a name that was no where close to my actual name. I let it go since I thought he would probably not come back. Then he became a regular and it was like a Seinfeld episiode. I went by a different name whenever he was at the bar for a couple years.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I correct them immediately. Other times, its at a later time. Option A doesn't really happen cuz they think its the correct pronunciation.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I called someone by the wrong name 22 years ago. It still haunts me. One of those fuck ups I just can't shake.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
If we're in public with other people I'd probably do it quietly to them. If we're in private I'd do it after their sentence but in a nice way.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't see any point in waiting to correct them. It's pretty rare this happens though, there's only like 2-3 names you could mistake mine for.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
If they call me by a completely different name, I just quickly and casually correct them:

"Hey, WrongName, what are you thoughts on this?"

"Oh, it's RightName, I think..."

But if they just mispronounce my name, I don't bother to correct because whatever. People seem to have a 50-50 chance of saying my last name right, and sometimes even say my first name wrong despite it being very common.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
At 45 years old, this has happened to me plenty of times over the years.
I figured out at a pretty early age the best way to handle it is to simply just ask them "Who is that?"
They will look bewildered perhaps, but they will also probably figure it out pretty quickly, as chances are high they already knew they were not sure of your name and gave it their best shot.

Truth is I never took it personally and never will because I am the worst with names. Like really fucking bad. I have also learned in life when this is the case, it is actually better to just admit it right away.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
In highschool someone called me Sasha for like a week. My name starts with a K and the only similarity is a "sha" noise at the end. Anyway someone heard him and was like "Who are you talking to?" so that's how he was corrected.

If I felt it mattered, like in the workplace, I'd just be like "Oh my name's blahblah" and try to keep it moving, otherwise I don't really care. I knew he was referring to me so I responded.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
I called someone by the wrong name 22 years ago. It still haunts me. One of those fuck ups I just can't shake.
images

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"Actually it's 'Proceed', yeah with an O double-e. Oh don't worry about it, everybody gets it wrong, common mistake."

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on if the person matters to me in a social, professional or scholastic sense.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care. Never have. I am bad with names myself and provide the same grace to others as I hope for each time I screw up a name for someone I've known for a year.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
There was a girl in high school that thought my name was Katie, and would call me by it constantly. Super friendly cheerful girl. Everyone asked why I never corrected her, but I don't think I ever even bothered to learn her name, so it seemed hypocritical.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
My name is common as fuck so chances are they'll get it right before getting it wrong. If they do I'd just go "Huh? Nah I'm HardRojo" while laughing slightly to make it not awkward.
Now you know what's awkward? When you run into someoen you haven't seen in a while, they remember your name and you're like "Oh hey how ya doing?" while trying to recall their name in a matter of seconds.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I once responded to a person with "Who do you think I am?" they responded with the wrong name again and I said, "No, I'm not." and laughed.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I have a first name that is common in Canada/UK and uncommon (but getting more common) in the US, and a French last name that isn't really pronounced in French anymore, so it can be a double whammy of wrong sometimes. I'm never offended when people get it wrong, and I'll generally go along with whatever someone calls me, even if it's an entirely different name.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just say my actual name with a friendly smile. 9 times out of them they realize what I mean, correct themselves, and keep talking; no biggie. The remaining 1/10 is "what?", then I just say "I'm [name]".

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It doesn't bother me anymore. Boomers always have trouble with calling me by my right name so i will take it as pong as its reasonably close.

Oct 25, 2017
Correct them immediately, but since it's almost always a deadname issue, it's important to correct immediately and reinforce against those mistakes.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
try to infiltrate their life and pretend to be whomever it is they think I am for as long as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I was mistaken for the head of my department in an important meeting, so I had to correct that instantly.

That was a situation that required instant correcting. I don't care how embarrassing it was for the guy who got it wrong, and me for not being known, but that had to be stopped as soon as possible.

Since that moment, I've felt empowered to correct anyone at any time. Feels good.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I have a lot of social anxiety, but you ain't gonna call me the wrong name and me not say anything. Oh no, not happening.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I just politely say "hey cunt, that's not my name, my name is pronounced Cliv-ee Pwanered, you cunt. fuck you and your cunt kids.'

and then they'd say "take back what you said about my cunt fucking kids."
and I would say "I retract what I said about your cunt fucking kids."

every social faux pas can be solved with turning into a quote from In Bruges.

On reflection, I guess I now realise why I have all those special meetings with HR.
Was it cause you said you took it back and thus showed weakness?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on who's doing it. My name has different variations, and English speakers tend to default to one of the English versions. I think it's pretty inconsiderate when someone like a boss or supervisor does it. I used to introduce myself exclusively by my nickname because it's rare enough that it forces people to pay attention.

There was a girl in high school that thought my name was Katie, and would call me by it constantly. Super friendly cheerful girl. Everyone asked why I never corrected her, but I don't think I ever even bothered to learn her name, so it seemed hypocritical.
Haha, I didn't expect it to end like that.

CMP

Oct 27, 2017
United States of America
Can't speak for myself, but for some of my colleagues, they'll try to correct it once, and if they still don't say it correctly, they just let it go. It also depends how difficult your name is to say

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Before it launched in the USA, I got a Dreamcast as part of my work reviewing games for the Dallas Morning News. This was my freshman year of college, and I was in a nerdy all-guys dorm, so people started sniffing around and coming by my room to see Soul Calibur, NFL2K, Sonic Adventure, and so on.

One dude walked by my room while the door was open and said, "Oh, hey, Sean, what's goin' on—OH HEY DREAMCAST!" and sat down to play. I didn't correct him.

For a minute, my nickname became "Sean Dreamcast." Still fond of that one.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Back in highschool I had a crush on a girl I worked with at McDonalds. We pretty regularly flirted our shifts away. And while closing one night, the manager told us to go to the break room and get it over with. I sat down in a chair and she sat in my lap, and as we were about to kiss... she called me the wrong name.

I laughed and walked out of the room. Romance died that day.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I just go along with it. Mostly it's my last name that gets mispronounced as my first name is super common and hard to mispronounce. My last name on the other hand has different mispronunciations depending on where the person is from. Mainly long a sound if the country is U.K. or colonized by the U.K. otherwise, the other common mispronunciation is still two syllables but with an "ah" sound.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a teacher who kept calling me Viola or Violetta. By the time I finally accepted it, as i somewhat started to like the name, my 4 years were over and he started to call me by my real name.

I dont mind people calling me wrong names, as long as it does not happen with any bad intention.

Iget more riled up about still being thought of as a teen girl despite entering 30s.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If it's a person I know I'll be meeting again then I correct them immediately. Otherwise it's whatever.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I've been called Ellie by like three different people for some reason. I just correct them but something about it makes me want to leave.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao so I worked at a grocery store for 7 years. I went with option 1 in the poll for a guy who called me a completely incorrect name - only it lasted for like...5 of those 7 years. Don't ask me how, he was actually a really smart dude too lol.

It went on for long enough that it was too awkward to correct him, and I felt increasingly guilty about it worried that the longer it went on, the more stupid (leading to pissed) he would feel.

One day a coworker happened to overhear him call me the other name and was like "..........????? You know his name is 'XandBosch', right?" - other guy just goes"..oh..haha. Anyway- (moves onto another subject)" and that was it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've immediately corrected people and also said nothing. Depends on the situation/how much I give a shit at the moment.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Depends.. Professional setting or somewhere it matters, I correct them immediately. I've had friends of friends call me the wrong name for years and never bothered to correct them cause I think it's hilarious.