• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Forgive me if I'm reading this incorrectly, but I don't think if someone does as Derulo did here means they are not a decent person. Many people would do the same thing depending on many factors, this doesn't mean that they are not decent people.

you're right, not what I meant, edited. Thanks

Oct 26, 2017
1 Total overreaction from Jason.
2 You can't just go around antagonizing strangers and not expect to get punched in the face.

Apr 21, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling; Tone Policing over Multiple Posts; Prior Ban for the Same
Because every single ounce of control and power that White Society has amassed over the globe stemmed from unwarranted violence. None of that violence even had a justification and yet look at the results it produced for white people.......

Explain to me how America exists today without the use of violence? How was an entire population of Native people removed from their land without the use of violence?

I never understand moral grandstanding about violence. Fucking especially when coming from White people, ones who gained the most from violence to begin with

You can soapbox and granstand all you want but the simple fact of the matter is Violence is a part of this world and has shaped this world from the beginning of time. You can move through life with love in your heart for everyone and violence could still meet you at your doorstep. The only control you have in that matter is avoiding situations, provocations, and being capable of defending yourself from it.

Quite literally everything else is irrelevant on that topic.

Wait, so because of racial oppression and violence --- that gives Jason Derulo (or anyone) the right to attack someone insulting them?

I'm not even sure what the discussion is about anymore.
The video is hard to analyze anyways and people are saying he grabbed Derulo first -- so, I'm just going to butt out.
But I'll just say I think initiating violence on someone is always wrong and every justification in this thread has been asinine, imo.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
lE0xOZO.gif

ZbUrcQ4.gif

Seems like it gets physical when someone reached for his phone, you can hear him shout "my cellphone" as he tries to get it back. The other guy joins in the melee shouting "you don't touch my boy" and gets a 2 piece.

Dude should never have put hands on Jason or stole his cellphone or whatever the F he was doing, especially ESPECIALLY after shouting insults at him.

If you look closely at the video, after the guy screams "fuck you, bitch" he reaches out and puts his hand on Derulo. At that point, he has technically committed assault. I don't think there will be any legal repercussions here. If you hear that screamed at you and then feel a hand from behind reach out and touch you, then you have every right to think you are in danger.
Yeah.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so because of racial oppression and violence --- that gives Jason Derulo (or anyone) the right to attack someone insulting them?
Black people have no reason to respect your arbitrary moral codes when all they do is uphold systems of oppression.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

The video is hard to analyze anyways and people are saying he grabbed Derulo first -- so, I'm just going to butt out.
But I'll just say I think initiating violence on someone is always wrong and every justification in this thread has been asinine, imo.

I hope you can recognize the privilege inherent to categorically disclaiming violence in this context.

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because every single ounce of control and power that White Society has amassed over the globe stemmed from unwarranted violence. None of that violence even had a justification and yet look at the results it produced for white people.......

Explain to me how America exists today without the use of violence? How was an entire population of Native people removed from their land without the use of violence?

I never understand moral grandstanding about violence. Fucking especially when coming from White people, ones who gained the most from violence to begin with

You can soapbox and granstand all you want but the simple fact of the matter is Violence is a part of this world and has shaped this world from the beginning of time. You can move through life with love in your heart for everyone and violence could still meet you at your doorstep. The only control you have in that matter is avoiding situations, provocations, and being capable of defending yourself from it.

Holy shit preach my brother!.. a shame most will skip over and ignore it to stay on their high horses.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What type of jackass puts hands on someone and insults them at the same time? They had whatever was coming to them. And hopefully the video kills any talks of a "lawsuit" in addition to potentially leading to charges to the unhinged aggressor.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit preach my brother!.. a shame most will skip over and ignore it to stay on their high horses.
"Violence isn't right, I say as I live comfortably in a world built on violence towards people who look suspiciously like the man I'm finger-wagging towards."

Like God, you know how much unbridled crackery it takes to get me to sympathize with Jason fucking Derulo?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Pages of Black people (including, gasp, The Black mods!) weighing in on this topic. Talking about how this goes beyond Jason Derulo, and how it uncomfortably evokes the burden placed particularly on Black people to always react "correctly", and always as a distraction from the (often) white people who always seem to be capable of doing everything BUT leaving us the fuck alone.

If, after all this, the only thing you have left to (repeatedly) contribute is "I think violence is wrong!" Well then, I think it might be worthwhile to question the value of your contribution to this topic. What is your contribution worth?

I'll answer that for you: not much.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

DigitalOP is bringing up the important point it's tough to sit and wag the finger at violence when "we've" all benefited from it. It requires a certain level of privilege across the board. It's an important point with everyone coming in with absolute black and white statements regarding violence is always wrong, when most of the posters here are from the West where it boils down to Violence is always wrong (except when it comes to the resources we can use, other countries historically, and when they die from places really far away).

Again, with the absolutes it comes off as if Derulo was poor and queer, a woman, or a regular shmegular black dude he should have just taken the abuse at as if that's not a violent act in itself.

Nov 9, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Antagonizing mods and members in thread focused on subject intersecting with race.
I will be the one to say it. Nobody but sycophants are willing to engage the mods/admins in any kind of productive discussion here because they wield their powers like sledgehammers and openly show vitriol towards the community as a whole they are supposed to foster. That is all.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be the one to say it. Nobody but sycophants are willing to engage the mods/admins in any kind of productive discussion here because they wield their powers like sledgehammers and openly show vitriol towards the community as a whole they are supposed to foster. That is all.

Such bravery. lol.

Speaking as a Black man (tm), the mods in this thread are fostering exactly the community I want to be a part of.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
No one in this thread has even been warned for any opinion they've had on the situation. But please invoke oppression off the back of Black dissent, King.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being so soft that you assault someone for calling you Usher lmao. Dude is going to court for sure.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao.

That's not what's happening here.

The conversation got real and some people just can't handle it.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I don't see any bans or thread warnings.

What are people scared of exactly? That the mods (the black ones) have strong opinions on certain topics?

So far all I've read in this thread from the opposition is a bunch of disingenuous bullshit about "Violence is bad always" and some black posters highlighting a racial point of view that has merit.

Like we really have people out here pretending the world is "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Fucking lol.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Meh he touched him so I guess he's fine to defend himself.
But everyone saying physical violence is a perfectly reasonable response to a fairly tepid verbal assault is being ridiculous imo. If I punched everyone who yelled at me like that at my job I would have 50 knockouts by now.
Retail and fast food workers get this stuff often...

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But everyone saying physical violence is a perfectly reasonable response to a fairly tepid verbal assault is being ridiculous imo. If I punched everyone who yelled at me like that at my job I would have 50 knockouts by now.

I'm sorry, have I missed the part where Jason Derulo is running around punching everyone who yells at him?

Apr 21, 2018
Pages of Black people (including, gasp, The Black mods!) weighing in on this topic. Talking about how this goes beyond Jason Derulo, and how it uncomfortably evokes the burden placed particularly on Black people to always react "correctly", and always as a distraction from the (often) white people who always seem to be capable of doing everything BUT leaving us the fuck alone.

If, after all this, the only thing you have left to (repeatedly) contribute is "I think violence is wrong!" Well then, I think it might be worthwhile to question the value of your contribution to this topic. What is your contribution worth?

I'll answer that for you: not much.

I'm sorry I still don't get it.

This is a clip of a celebrity attacking a heckler (a heckler who doesn't appear to be white?).

The conversation seems to be around whether or not a celebrity should attack a heckler and whether that type of violence is right/wrong.
I thought it was wrong, because, you know, celebrities get heckled a lot, and physical violence can lead to serious injury.
Derulo is a rich and successful artist/celebrity. He has put himself out there as a public-facing artist, which will bring on criticism and yes, hecklers and insults.

Am I supposed to take the historical oppression and violence against minorities into account here, and change my thinking to "yes, celebrities should attack hecklers"?
Am I supposed to re-contextualize that I live in a western society that is inherently built on racist institutions and violence and change my thinking to "yes, celebrities should attack hecklers"?
That just doesn't add up to me...

I'm not trying to be snide or condescending. Seriously trying to get where people are coming from here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

I would argue this kind of proves what's wrong? Reason retail and fast food workers get it all the time is that

1)The absuer knows there's a power dynamic that works in their favor
2)As a result, they know they can be awful to them and nothing will happen

Of course you might get a cool manager who will tell them to fuck off, but even then they can always escalate to corporate with their version of the story.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

This is a clip of a celebrity attacking a heckler (a heckler who doesn't appear to be white?).

The conversation seems to be around whether or not a celebrity should attack a heckler and whether that type of violence is right/wrong.
I thought it was wrong, because, you know, celebrities get heckled a lot, and physical violence can lead to serious injury.
Derulo is a rich and successful artist/celebrity. He has put himself out there as a public-facing artist, which will bring on criticism and yes, hecklers and insults.

Am I supposed to take the historical oppression and violence against minorities into account here, and change my thinking to "yes, celebrities should attack hecklers"?
Am I supposed to re-contextualize that I live in a western society that is inherently built on racist institutions and violence and change my thinking to "yes, celebrities should attack hecklers"?

I'm not trying to be snide or condescending. Seriously trying to get where people are coming from here.

Weren't you leaving?

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

1)Because it's normalized doesn't mean that verbally abusing celebrities is fine. Its interesting how we can see the issues with fame regarding Britney Spears after what she got driven to the edge but don't see it with another celebrity. It's all TMZ fun and gossip until they hurt themselves, then its like 'OMG, those bad people, someone should have done something' lol.

2)Everyone came in with the 'Violence is wrong!' blanket defense where even if we don't engage with the race elephant in the room, taking two steps back shows that geopolitically it's bullshit. It's something people can say after the violence was already done, they are able to live their lives peacefully, and thus they don't have to deal with the messy part. Some people can't escape violence; we've given enough examples of that.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I would argue this kind of proves what's wrong? Reason retail and fast food workers get it all the time is that

1)The absuer knows there's a power dynamic that works in their favor
2)As a result, they know they can be awful to them and nothing will happen

Of course you might get a cool manager who will tell them to fuck off, but even then they can always escalate to corporate with their version of the story.
It's definitely wrong for sure, but generally it's not agreed to respond to verbal assault with physical assault unless the verbal assault involves threats.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You see a celebrity. I see a Black man who is also a celebrity.

For Black people in America, Black always comes first. We don't get to forget or omit it when talking about what's happening to us.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
You see a celebrity. I see a Black man who is also a celebrity.

For Black people in America, Black always comes first.

And let it be said, Black people didn't ask for or create this dynamic.

But y'all damn sure aren't going to ask us to pretend like the real world doesn't enforce this dynamic at every. fucking. turn.

Oh wait...I hope I didn't put too much sledgehammer on that. Fucking clownery.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
If Chris Evans did this we would be having a different thread.

I dont think Voilence was required but I don't feel sorry for the douchebag either.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is any consistency to this "chat shit, get hit" business. People won't admit it, but they only apply it to people they like. If a mostly disliked person on this board like Chris Pratt was called a bitch and did the exact same action to some normos, people would be calling him a POS asshole and to keep his damn hands to himself.

You got banned, but I do wanna say: I'm gonna keep the same energy. If you ran up to Chris Pratt calling him a bitch and he gave you the beats, my response is gonna be "Well you shouldn't have been talking shit." Once again: watch your mouth.

People need their ass beat more too.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You're supposed to understand that different groups of people are raised by different sets of rules because we live in a shitty society, and these double standards result in different moral outlooks and reactions, and that yours doesn't automatically deserve any sort deference. Like, seriously, you have no authority.

So repeating "So violence is okay?!" as a gotcha only works if everyone has already agreed to your utopic terms. However, to a group of people who experience violence daily without people like you ever coming to their defense (because ultimately colonialist violence is okay to most people on Era), your assumption that all violence is worthy of disgust and condemnation falls on deaf ears to people who live differently, especially in such a mild situation as a dude getting punched for being an asshole.

Literally, everything you've brought to this topic is meaningless because you don't understand- and have refused to understand- the cultural gaps at work (Don't think I missed you calling any dissenting opinion nonsense) because you keep trying to act like this happened in a vacuum. It did not. Jason is Black. Being Black in 2022 means something. You cannot ignore that.

And the funny thing is, you don't even have to agree what Jason did was right!

But you should at least have a basic learning ability to understand why a lot of Black people aren't as offended as you are that he punched someone. And if you're too confused to manage even that basic understanding, then take your advice and bounce. Maybe stew on it for awhile. Reread the thread.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Just gonna point out, this is your interpretation of the conversation.

My interpretation has been, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" along with, "fuck around and find out" mixed with some, "stop pretending that provoking a response and then naturally getting one is some crazy concept".

Several black posters have also had different interpretations based on their experiences.

From the very start you've been trying to frame the discussion as though your interpretation is the only valid one. I'd maybe not do that?

Apr 21, 2018
You're supposed to understand that different groups of people are raised by different sets of rules because we live in a shitty society, and these double standards result in different moral outlooks and reactions, and that yours doesn't automatically deserve any sort deference. Like, seriously, you have no authority.

So repeating "So violence is okay?!" as a gotcha only works if everyone has already agreed to your utopic terms. However, to a group of people who experience violence daily without people like you ever coming to their defense (because ultimately colonialist violence is okay to most people on Era), your assumption that all violence is worthy of disgust and condemnation falls on deaf ears to people who live differently, especially in such a mild situation as a dude getting punched for being an asshole.

Literally, everything you've brought to this topic is meaningless because you don't understand- and have refused to understand- the cultural gaps at work (Don't think I missed you calling any dissenting opinion nonsense) because you keep trying to act like this happened in a vacuum. It did not. Jason is Black. Being Black in 2022 means something. You cannot ignore that.

And the funny thing is, you don't even have to agree what Jason did was right!

But you should at least have a basic learning ability to understand why a lot of Black people aren't as offended as you are that he punched someone.

Just gonna point out, this is your interpretation of the conversation.

My interpretation has been, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" along with, "fuck around and find out" mixed with some, "stop pretending that provoking a response and then naturally getting one is some crazy concept".

Several black posters have also had different interpretations based on their experiences.

From the very start you've been trying to frame the discussion as though your interpretation is the only valid one. I'd maybe not do that?

Thanks for these measured responses.

I was looking at it from a narrow lens. And no I don't at all feel bad for the guy who got punched out.
I guess I approached it from the perspective of "celebrities should be able to walk away from their hecklers", and disregarded where the conversation actually steered. Did not mean any offence.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You have the opportunity of folks trying to explain the privilege for moral grandstanding on all violence and what a black man lives through for several pages but it doesn't seem you want to get it. So follow your own advice.
so, I'm just going to butt out.
And just listen.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Folks ain't never been scared to call mods everything but a child of God to their faces. If we were as petty and vengeful as you fantasize us to be there wouldn't be anyone with an active account but Fat4all and Captain of Outer Space

Derulo was not provoked by grab

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
lE0xOZO.gif

ZbUrcQ4.gif

Seems like it gets physical when someone reached for his phone, you can hear him shout "my cellphone" as he tries to get it back. The other guy joins in the melee shouting "you don't touch my boy" and gets a 2 piece.

I originally thought someone grabbed him too but there is another angle, looks like the arm was of the woman that was walking beside him? The first video shows the angle from the dude with the camera:

So yea he reacted to the words, but there was an altercation between the two beforehand so tensions were already high. Then him and his buddy tried to continue harassing him before he went back at them.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Okay, I just have one question:

What happened with Bjork exactly

As I remember it...

That particular reporter had been tailing Bjork for several days, to no response.

In that exact moment, the reporter had changed tactics, and stopped asking Bjork questions and started asking her child questions (can't see him in the gif, but her son is sitting on the luggage she's pushing).

And, well, Bjork let the goon out.

Gho5tstar

Jan 16, 2021
VA

Jeezus ! Lord ! Man you hit the nail on the head

acruztic

Mar 10, 2020
I originally thought someone grabbed him too but there is another angle, looks like the arm was of the woman that was walking beside him?

So yea he reacted to the words, but there was an altercation between the two beforehand so tensions were already high. Then him and his buddy tried to continue harassing him before he went back at them.

I kind of suspected that there was probably brewing tension before the words were said, but I'm a little confused as to how you came to that conclusion based on the video. Just trynna see what you're seeing.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
If someone provokes me verbally, I flip them off and continue with my life. Attacking someone over words is so pitiful and juvenile especially when you have the ability and resources to walk away