• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psygnomic

Oct 30, 2017
I was feeling gutted as mine had a dodgy hdmi output and had to be sent back, but glad it wasn't quite so exciting!

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
Could it be condensation from a cold delivery truck or the package being left outside and people plugging in it too fast?

Not that much smoke in this case. I've seen electronics that smoke when they get powered on for the first time. Some kind of alloy on some components melting away which is normal though. But that would cause that much amount of smoke.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
the immediate thought will go to something much worse

It sure took me a while to process ha-ha... I think my heart rate must have reached 200bpm.

True story: I went through three TV's in one day, and not the same model either... I'm sure the staff at Argos were thinking I was breaking them on purpose or something, although they were great about it all it must be said. But it does show how many faults there can be in electronic gear.... I was seriously unlucky that day though lol.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I'd take the wait and see approach here, if this is a widespread problem you'll know by the weekend and you'll see a lot more instances of it.

A widespread problem affecting 0.5% of Series X consoles would be about 5,000 instances on a initial manufacture of a million consoles.

If it got to that stage we'd see much much more than five videos. Still this is worth bearing in mind at the moment but hopefully isolated.

In terms of quality control I'd be surprised if it was overheating MS seemingly have done a lot of testing including putting the machines in what are essentially ovens for days to simulate running in unrealistically hot environments.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

tenor.gif

Apr 26, 2020
Maybe its the result of dust landing inside of the console through the holes or idk another foreign object falling into it (i mean im just guessing here, but with the holes on top of the console tbings could fall in easily )

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Btw, if this does happen to anyone here, try to not breathe in that smoke. Blown PSU/capacitor/electronic smoke is dangerous to your health.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Never seen any hardware producing this much smoke when overheating. Looks very odd imo. Only thing that can cause an electrical fire is like the PSU afaik.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Big oof. If this is widespread this isn't gonna make for pleasant zoom meetings between the Xbox brass. Some heads gonna roll in QA and/or manufacturing. I mean there's zero chance this wasn't tested to hell and back. Maybe a particular production line had some faulty tooling or the QA wasn't rigorous enough.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
There will be always defective units in the batch (especially at launch when everything is super analyzed). I think few next days will paint a clear picture.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that looks like way too much smoke which is why i kinda think its fake. you see that much smoke when some cell phone batteries explode but i don't think the series x has any kind of batteries inside. would the psu going bad cause that much smoke?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen any hardware producing this much smoke when overheating. Looks very odd imo. Only thing that can cause an electrical fire is like the PSU afaik.
It helps that this is a through flow air system where other electronics are more of a closed box type. Smoke naturally rises, the design of Series X is totally able to highlight this better.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I mean, i always thought that having the hardware compacted like this in one small box was not a good idea (maybe, just maybe)
Hope I'm wrong and is just a 2 or 3 faulty ones.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the first video was fake because...well, it looks fake. The way it was billowing then quickly trailed off looks like someone blew vape into it. Second video too, but less so. Just thought people were fucking around. But now a few more people have said theirs have done the same so I don't know. Certainly a story to keep up with. What sucks is the turn-around time on sending them in will probably be brutal considering they're sold out.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
that looks like way too much smoke which is why i kinda think its fake. you see that much smoke when some cell phone batteries explode but i don't think the series x has any kind of batteries inside. would the psu going bad cause that much smoke?

I made a post a bit back where I showed a faulty PSU going up in smoke. So Yeah a faulty PSU can definitely cause that much smoke and can even start fires.

I kinda wish the OP would threadmark my post because too many people are calling fake because of the amount of smoke while it's completely possible.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Honestly, so many hardware launches are accompanied with a "check this debilitating flaw" crop of edge cases. Phones that bend, combusting laptops. It'll get sorted and won't be endemic.

Fully agree. The exact same thing happened with the Switch as well, there were so many conversations about the dock scratching the screens, the switch bending, people jamming the wrist straps on the wrong controller and getting the stuck, bricked systems.

Happens every time. Will happen with PS5 as well.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
It helps that this is a through flow air system where other electronics are more of a closed box type. Smoke naturally rises, the design of Series X is totally able to highlight this better.

I have seen overheated hardware few times and it's like *POFF* and it shuts down and maybe a little whiff of smoke. It smells of burnt components and that smell aint very pleasant at all.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Hopefully this is just a few faulty units, same with the ps5 thread yesterday, and not a more widespread problem. If both consoles are having widespread issues this could be disastrous for next gen.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
oh, I thought it was on. If not, a PSU going bad would smoke that much and that fast.
it could be the PSU went kaput and the fan is still spinning for a little while. But we don't know what happened yet really

I honestly also don't know. Just seemed way to fast for me, but I am at work so no audio. Maybe the light just simply stopped working because of the issue.

Time will tell what is happening. Hopefully nothing too serious. Though I hope my home is not full of smoke when I come home haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.