• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I've had that happen a few times when I was younger; scared the crap out of me, though thankfully because it blows out the PSU itself it tends to result in a load of smoke and little else.

One went in my PC with a bang, and a real fucking loud one too, with lots of smoke. I nearly ended up on the floor as I shot myself backwards on my chair. The rest of the PC survived.

Hopefully this is not a widespead, recall triggering, problem for XSX owners.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As long as nothing catches on fire, the bigger problem is PR for Xbox if this keeps popping up.
I wasn't going to jump in on next gen immediately anyway so this doesn't have an effect on my personal buying decision, but I really hope that Microsoft wouldn't be so careless as to put their product to market before they confident that it won't be a fire hazard.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Honestly, so many hardware launches are accompanied with a "check this debilitating flaw" crop of edge cases. Phones that bend, combusting laptops. It'll get sorted and won't be endemic.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I know a certain number of units will fail with any given hardware launch, but never seen a new console smoking like that.

Probably the power supply, like people have said, but very dramatic!

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Finally, a worthy successor to this lads 360
CFtqS8eUsAA06sj

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Seems fake to me. But if real, oof.

I've seen quite some people complaining that their Series X died after a few hours in use, but I didn't hear anything about that smoking issue until now.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Everyone immediately calling Fake must have never seen a faulty PSU fry itself before.

Edit: here is a video of a psu getting fried.

Seriously. Hell, I had a shitty cheap molex to sata adapter short once and it not only went up in smoke but also flames as well. Melted the back half of the bluray drive it was plugged into.

Jury's out on how widespread this is, but if the PSUs are failing/shorting, I can absolutely believe they'd go off like this.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This will be a non issue. It's annoying for the people who encounter this, but it's surely a really really low percentage. We would have already gotten News of this a lot earlier, with thousands of Series X being sent out ot Press and Influencers weeks ago.

What interests me now, do companies keep some stock for this instances? So that they can easily replace them? Or do they just try to repair it?

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Could it be condensation from a cold delivery truck or the package being left outside and people plugging in it too fast?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If this happens to anyone.
Go to your circuit breaker and flip it before trying to touch the box.
Or unplug it if the plug isn't close to the box.
It's better safe than sorry when electronics are failing.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
One went in my PC with a bang, and a real fucking loud one too, and lots of smoke. I nearly ended up on the floor as I shot myself backwards on my chair. The rest of the PC survived.

Hopefully this is not a widespead, recall triggering, problem for XSX owners.

Yeah, it's a very dramatic way for PC hardware to go out, and since most never have to deal with it anyway, the immediate thought will go to something much worse

Thinking on it, this wouldn't be entirely surprising to occur either, in a year where supply chains have been constrained. Cheap out on an odd capacitor here or there to get stock prepared for launch, and it's quite possible

Could it be condensation from a cold delivery truck or the package being left outside and people plugging in it too fast?

Also possible. One of the PSUs that blew in my childhood had been kept in a cabin in the garden over the winter, and we underestimated what that would do to it

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
But if there are three legitimate cases on launch day, that certainly isn't a good sign.
3 out of a few million. We live in a time with more social network interaction than ever. I am sure people had faulty launch day consoles of the OG Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube. But nobody noticed.
apparently 5 videos on this already, Oh my god lmao

Let's not panic yet, but mass recall could happen if these keep popping up.
2 videos and two persons talking about it. At least in this thread, because sometimes users posted OP videos again and called it a new case. Which was false.
if this is legit and it seems like it, wth happened to quality check?
All products can break. That's the reality and you don't even want any company to test every device in production line, unless you want cost to explode.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I read someone on my Twitter timeline complaining that his console would turn off by itself, after a shorter period of time every time he boots it up. No smoking though, but maybe temp related shutdown?
In any case, it's to be expected that some units would be faulty. It just gets amplified x1000 nowadays.

Nov 4, 2017
What we are not seeing are the videos of hundreds of thousands Series X consoles happily chugging away playing games on launch day.

The worst part about this happening now is that you're not likely to get a straight swap right away :(

LakeShore

Oct 28, 2017
One of the most disappointing times was on launch day for Xbox360. Got my console from GAME and the cashier joked that "oh that's the one we dropped down the stairs".

We laughed, I went home, set it up, played Perfect Dark Zero for a little while and got the Red Ring of Death.
The panic and unknowing of what to do, this never happened to me before with consoles I'd previously got, but this was the first time I bought a new console myself on launch day, all previous were a few months later for presents for occasions of the year like Xmas or birthday from parents.
Returning to GAME as questioning did they really drop it down the stairs and trying to refund it or exchange it to no avail as there were no spares left that hadn't been pre-ordered. Took weeks for a Microsoft to take mine in for repair.

I can only feed sad for those who are going through this smoking series x fiasco if it does end up becoming as large as RROD.
Such a horrible way to feel on what should be an exciting day! New console day!

Status
Not open for further replies.