• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Smoke is moving at a very fast speed no? Seems way to fast for it to simply be a broken hardware part.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'll never understand why faulty units at launch videos get so many traction.
I just hope that both of these platforms have regular failure rate so everyone can enjoy their new purchases and those few unlucky that got a broken one can get a replace quickly.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
They should pair that up with an appropriate display.

Wait a minute... I'm late for golf!

On a serious note, smoke would usually indicate a failure in the power supply, but I would expect that to be a single puff of smoke before it very quickly turns itself off. Regardless, the impressively modular nature of the Series X leaves me confident that it can be repaired or replaced very easily.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I know people who state the world is flat. People can state anything. The console is sitting on a slatted platform specifically suited to this type of prank , and he appears to make an effort not to show what is happening underneath.

You are looking to much into this. If you are talking about Twitter video then this is not standing on any platform you mentioned. Microsoft already reached to him and will replace it - they are aware of this issue and you are still claiming it's fake or prank?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this looks fake. Way too much smoke IMHO. Or it is a very unfortunate accident/coincidence.

Honestly, if THIS becomes a real widespread issue they have problem on their hand and probably need to do a worldwide product recall. But I don't believe it.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
No idea if this is real or not but mine does get very warm. I was actually surprised at how warm I got

Ex Machina

Oct 28, 2017
I'll never understand why faulty units at launch videos get so many traction.
I just hope that both of these platforms have regular failure rate so everyone can enjoy their new purchases and those few unlucky that got a broken one can get a replace quickly.

Faulty, non working products are common and not a big deal. Just get it replaced.

But, smoke coming out could cause serious health and environmental hazards. It is not a small matter.

DrButz

Banned
Oct 27, 2020
You are looking to much into this. If you are talking about Twitter video then this is not standing on any platform you mentioned. Microsoft already reached to him and will replace it - they are aware of this issue and you are still claiming it's fake or prank?
I am referring to the video in post 1, the console is on a pallet-style platform. If you wanted to blow smoke into the console and have it come out the top, you could not choose a more suitable platform.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably someone sitting on the floor blowing vape smoke into the bottom, hence you can't see the bottom of the console. That smoke is way too thick

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Everyone immediately calling Fake must have never seen a faulty PSU fry itself before.

Edit: here is a video of a psu getting fried.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
the crappy quality of the video makes it look fake. it is possible for capacitors to pop and smoke though.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
grillplaystation3_105855.jpg

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how this could even happen o.O Like... Something has to have gotten into these units to produce visible smoke?
Is this the new "Switch dock is scratching switches"? Even if there is a problem it has to be so small to not be a major concern, unless it happens to you of course lol.
The dock does scratch the shit out of the Switch though :( I got a screen protector eventually, but not soon enough to prevent some ugly smudges on the corner of my unit.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How are people still crying when we have multiple cases of it happening now and someone in topic that knows someone who had the problem? Let's just hope this is not a widespread problem.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully not a widespread deal but that sucks for anyone getting it :( Seems to be an issue you'll notice pretty fast if your XSX has it? I'll be more worried if in days or weeks more and more of this pops up :s

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Assuming it's real, looks like something catastrophic failed (money is on the PSU). I'm a little concerned about the voltage setup in one of the two videos, judging by the mess of wires dangling next to it.

But whatever - as was pointed out a hundred times in the thread about the PS5 "overheating", electronics always have a small percentage failure rate, and hundreds of thousands of consoles went out into the wild today. I wouldn't worry about it unless we start getting dozens of reports of the same problem.

Hard to say more than that, without understanding the full context of the situation.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they are fake, the first one looks like they've blown e-cig smoke into the bottom knowing it will come out the top. Would like to think that with all the hands on time places like DF and reviewers had that if there was an issue it would have came to light but I suppose a couple hundred review consoles Vs millions suddenly in hands of consumers is a different situation.

Oct 29, 2017
If you look at the video in the op there's a short flash and hissing sound in the beginning. It's a capacitor popping, then emitting smoke. Faulty unit, send it back.

CrazyNomad

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
If the power unit is faulty, it could make that ton of smoke, just weird that it is turned off and the smoke keep going

Status
Not open for further replies.