• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kirito will end up in an Turn Based JRPG and will be OP without leveling and basically playing this like a RTS

robot

Oct 27, 2017
This pretty succinctly summarizes why I'm a lot colder on persona these days.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm assuming it's some mobile game tie in? But I don't know if either has one.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
67b.jpg

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Why are the comments in this thread overwhelmingly negative?

What is wrong with Sword Art?
It's just a terrible, terrible property. Overpowered protagonist with magical amazing awesome powers, collects a harem of weak willed women that seem strong until they see how truly powerful and awesome Kirito is, just absolutely awful antagonists, a poor translation of videogame elements that wastes the potential.

Source: I watched the first two seasons for some fucking reason.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm pretty sure it's still popular in general.

It's still getting new series and they still keep bringing them over.

The other funny thing is that it seems like the people who are responsible for the property have been embarrassed by the franchise's early days and have mostly been interested in learning, growing, and making better stuff. Apparently some SAO spinoff anime series are, from what I have heard, actually watchable?

OP
OP
Gold Arsene

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other funny thing is that it seems like the people who are responsible for the property have been embarrassed by the franchise's early days and have mostly been interested in learning, growing, and making better stuff. Apparently some SAO spinoff anime series are, from what I have heard, actually watchable?
I heard positive things about the Gun Gale spin-off but I haven't watched anything past season 1 yet I do want to at some point thpough just becuse I like forming my own opinions on these things.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. As the tweet says, it's as a collaboration between Persona 5 Royal and Sword Art Online's two mobile games Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag and Sword Art Online: Integral Factor.
Ah yeah that figures.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Awful characters, awful writing, and over reliance on rapey-villains.
no joke, the author of SAO himself literally apologized to the voice actresses for after the rape scene in Alicization aired

and then was like "yeah I totally used rape as a storytelling device too much back when i was writing sao"

and also pointed out that the anime actually made things worse by having one of the rapists make a cartoonish leap onto the bed when the rape scene started

(and if you haven't seen it, it's some real looney toons shit)

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Why are the comments in this thread overwhelmingly negative?

What is wrong with Sword Art?
SAO has one of the biggest Mary Sue protagonists of all time, it treats it's female characters absolutely abysmally and is largely accepted as the reason that Isekai has largely taken over anime in general (which a lot of people hate)

SAO is one of the most divisive anime in recent history and yet it keeps printing money so it'll keep getting made.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
no joke, the author of SAO himself literally apologized to the voice actresses for after the rape scene in Alicization aired

and then was like "yeah I totally used rape as a storytelling device too much back when i was writing sao"

and also pointed out that the anime actually made things worse by having one of the rapists make a cartoonish leap onto the bed when the rape scene started

(and if you haven't seen it, it's some real looney toons shit)

Honestly Reki's character development IRL seems to be better than it ever got for any character in SAO

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a terrible, terrible property. Overpowered protagonist with magical amazing awesome powers, collects a harem of weak willed women that seem strong until they see how truly powerful and awesome Kirito is, just absolutely awful antagonists, a poor translation of videogame elements that wastes the potential.

If you didnt put Kirito into this paragraph I wouldnt have been able to tell if you were talking about Persona or SAO.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
The ending and opening themes are also extremely popular. Even covers are way more popular than almost any other anime

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I can't believe Sword Art Online would lower itself to Persona's level.

This is a joke.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Persona has essentially spent the past decade riding on a one-way bullet train into the exact same sexist, exploitative dimension that SAO occupies, so the two basically deserve each other at this point.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Trashy, but it's not like P5's writing is stellar either. Not SAO-tier, but...

I also find it funny that they used the exact same Joker pose for the Another Eden collab art.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. As the tweet says, it's as a collaboration between Persona 5 Royal and Sword Art Online's two mobile games Sword Art Online: Memory Defrag and Sword Art Online: Integral Factor.
Namco Bandai really need to stop making multiple gacha games based off the same franchise. Shit's annoying. Tales has had 3, with one more on the way.