• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06/09/whats-next-for-gaming/

We are:

• Bringing the Xbox app to Samsung 2022 Smart TVs (It's simple, starting on June 30, access the Xbox app from the Samsung Gaming Hub or Media Hub and log into your existing Microsoft account, connect your favorite Bluetooth controller)
  • Expanding Xbox Cloud Gaming to more countries (To meet demand and make gaming available to even more people, today, Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) is opening up to players in Argentina and New Zealand)
  • Bringing new gaming experiences to Microsoft Edge and Windows 11 (e.g. A new personalized gaming home page featuring news, game guides, live streams, game highlights, tournaments, upcoming and newly released games, and the Xbox Cloud Gaming library, including easy access to recently played games and related content.)
  • Rolling out updates for Xbox Game Pass members (We're excited to share that later this year, it's our intent to roll out the ability for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play, from the cloud, select games they already own or have purchased outside the Xbox Game Pass library.
    We're also revealing the first details of Project Moorcroft, a program that brings the fun and discovery of playing new, curated demos of upcoming games to our Xbox Game Pass members, coming 2023)
  • Introducing more options to express yourself with Xbox Design Lab (new pastel colors, camo top cases, 11 new countries)
more in the article

Moorcroft:
  • The program will begin rolling out within the next year, beginning with a focus on providing independent developers from around the world more opportunities to build excitement for their games.
  • Participating developers will be able to see how their demos perform, and be compensated, enabling them to bring their creativity to Xbox and reach new audiences with Game Pass

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
so I guess Xbox is leaving all these announcements for blog posts and the show for actual games.

that's not a bad idea.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/06...?ocid=Platform_soc_omc_xbo_tw_Photo_lrn_6.9.1

We're also revealing the first details of Project Moorcroft, a program that brings the fun and discovery of playing new, curated demos of upcoming games to our Xbox Game Pass members.

• The program will begin rolling out within the next year, beginning with a focus on providing independent developers from around the world more opportunities to build excitement for their games.
  • Participating developers will be able to see how their demos perform, and be compensated, enabling them to bring their creativity to Xbox and reach new audiences with Game Pass.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never gonna be able try XCloud lol Praying Kojima's game isn't the rumoured XCloud only one.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
why is everyone putting demos behind a paywall and pointing to it like "aah pretty cool huh?"
It's demos for upcoming games I.e games that haven't released yet so developers have to put separate resources for the demo and are getting paid for it. As this will likely be most used by Indies, I have no problem them getting paid for something that is risky to do and takes a lot of time.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I understand why it's gated to GPU to try and add value/perks to the service, but I do wonder why it's not just game pass in general. Feels more fitting to let it be across all GP users if they're going with the curated demo route.

At least the devs included are being compensated for their inclusion.

EDIT: Actually this DOES seem to just be Game Pass. The Game Pass Ultimate gate is for playing your owned library of select titles. May want to adjust your title digitalrelic

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
They're going to get paid for demos? Wow. I assume Sony or Steam don't do this but I could be wrong.

That's really impressive. This could cause a resurgence in demos to the level of the 90s scene.
Assuming it's fair compensation.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
I understand why it's gated to GPU to try and add value/perks to the service, but I do wonder why it's not just game pass in general. Feels more fitting to let it be across all GP users if they're going with the curated demo route.

At least the devs included are being compensated for their inclusion.

EDIT: Actually this DOES seem to just be Game Pass. The Game Pass Ultimate gate is for playing your owned library of select titles. May want to adjust your title digitalrelic

The article doesn't state its exclusive to GPU.
The title is misleading because what's only for GPU is the library games playable on Cloud.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
It's demos for upcoming games I.e games that haven't released yet so developers have to put separate resources for the demo and are getting paid for it. As this will likely be most used by Indies, I have no problem them getting paid for something that is risky to do and takes a lot of time.

i'll be interested to see how many of these demos are made specifically for the service and how many would have been made for a trade show or something like a steam festival anyway

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting idea with the demos, hope it pans out well and maybe some developers can ease the burden of doing a risky port by making money off of an early demo.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
totally. i'd be fine with it if this was they could justifying doing demos, but sony put trails out for death stranding and sackboy months ago, and all of a sudden we have to subscribe to the highest + tier to get more???

The turnaround hurts. It was nice seeing Sony start to put trials/demos out for their games for free, now we gotta pay for it in a higher tier. Now MS is doing similar.

I understand it due to costs, but now it's just something else we have to pay for on console. At least Steam still has free demos.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i'll be interested to see how many of these demos are made specifically for the service and how many would have been made for a trade show or something like a steam festival anyway
I would be surprised if a company doesnt use it for both. Not really a point in making 2 demos

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I know there's a cost involved but it always seemed weird that we never got better like e3 demo support for the public. Even if MS themselves made the push and were like here's a track and couple cars in the new Forza.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Rolling out updates for Xbox Game Pass members (We're excited to share that later this year, it's our intent to roll out the ability for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members to play, from the cloud, select games they already own or have purchased outside the Xbox Game Pass library.

This!
I want this.

I went out of town recently and would have loved to have played Elden Ring on my laptop via XCloud.

If I could play Street Fighter 6 in the cloud from my hotel on my next business trip? Whaaat?
it won't be too laggy to play right…right?

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Cool set of new features coming up. I really do need to get a few more controllers soon and will upgrade the current living room TV. This would be a great if I could just literally bring some controllers over to there from time to time when we have extra visitors since all of my gaming stuff is in my room.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The idea of game demos is cool, but if they're for games that are releasing on Game Pass anyway, I could see myself just waiting until the proper release and trying the final game then.

I'm glad it's focusing on indies though as it's a good way to market your game.

Clippy

Feb 11, 2022
This alleviates my main concern, I would have been unhappy if Microsoft forced devs to provide free content for a paid service.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the idea of paid demos, but since developers are being compensated for it, maybe we'll see stuff that would not even exist in the first place if it wasn't for this? I don't know. Demos behind a subscription service are weird.

Good for the devs, though.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to give XCloud a shot.

I wonder when that HDR calibration app is finally gonna come to Windows 11. It was announced back in like February - would be super helpful to setup my monitor properly.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
why is everyone putting demos behind a paywall and pointing to it like "aah pretty cool huh?"
totally. i'd be fine with it if this was they could justifying doing demos, but sony put trails out for death stranding and sackboy months ago, and all of a sudden we have to subscribe to the highest + tier to get more???
You just explained it yourself. Sony put out GAME TRIALS for Death Stranding and Sackboy. How much (extra) money, time, and effort did this cost the devs and Sony? 0. They slapped a timer on a completed game and sent it out the door. And that's why Sony can automatically do this to games (with dev permission? without dev permission? iono) on their own.

These are pre-release vertical slices. They require focus, money, time, effort that is NOT being spent on delivering the actual game, has no guarantee of an audience, makes no money typically, and is a gamble that people even notice it let alone enjoy it let alone choose to buy more of it.

This will help devs with the cost-benefit by paying them to create the demos. And MS tying it to GP means that it's attached to a funding mechanism, which makes it more sustainable - which is exactly the opposite of how I would describe expecting devs to deliver more game, on an earlier schedule, for no money.

Last edited:

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
They're going to get paid for demos? Wow. I assume Sony or Steam don't do this but I could be wrong.

That's really impressive. This could cause a resurgence in demos to the level of the 90s scene.
Assuming it's fair compensation.
Sony is doing this as well.

Steam has nothing comparible, you rarely get demos, and when you do its for indie game struggling for attention (not a mark on those indie games, it's a bloodbath of an industry).

A game like Elden Ring 2 would never normally get a demo. Under this product it would potentially get a decent trial.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Ah, was hoping the Xbox Design Lab thing would be a new controller with haptics. Oh well.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
Demos seem odd in both a paywall sense but also like I think most people treat games on gamepass almost like demos, like give a game a try for an hour, see how you like it, then go from there.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up...went to put together a controller in the design lab and as of the design lab update 2 or 3 days ago you can longer apply MS credit towards your order.

Did some googling and found a thread on Reddit with folks discussing it. Some reached out to support and it doesn't seem to be an intentional thing...but that's the situation for now. I'm gonna give it a few days to see if the option to use MS credit comes back.