• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Official staff communication says silver is legit 🙄

Here's the staff link

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...iggest_short_squeeze_in_the_world_slv_silver/

A four day old post made by a new account that has since been removed.
Yeah this smells rank. That post's old at this point. Wallstreetbets has hard turned against silver, yet media keeps it propped up? Shame on them for pushing this story, and the mods should be clearer about the context. Anything less is promoting mis-information by omission. The thread needs a title change. I don't have any skin in the game with GME. It just seems wrong to let this sort of information go unchecked.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Silver is an astroturf operation by boomers who've been on silver since, like, 2010. Not saying it can't happen but its a completely different beast than GME.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This just shows how easy it is for a story to take hold, as soon as one mainstream media runs a story all the others just copy/paste it without doing any sort of fact checking or research. Will any stock that goes up now be attributed to WSB?

Oct 25, 2017
Official staff communication says silver is legit 🙄

Here's the staff link

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...iggest_short_squeeze_in_the_world_slv_silver/

A four day old post made by a new account that has since been removed.

Read the comments to get a view on what the arguments are. Reddit generally overlaps a ton with people that want to go back to the gold standard, and this is a holdover from Reddit basically replacing Digg (which was ground zero for the Ron Paul support). Really weird libertarian angle shows its ass from time to time.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
lol at the official staff communication being a post about vested interest. now who's talking about conspiracies

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
The staff communication here sets a really ugly precedent. For the two links they've posted which are already days old at this point, there's dozens more posts with exponentially more upvotes (if that's the metric we're using) that are more recent that point out the issue with the "silver hype".

This is unfortunately fake news we're letting pass.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory Trolling; Long History and Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION: Buy silver!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... those 2 old links in the staff communication have between 4k-15k upvotes each. One of them came from a new account and has since been deleted. Compared to the 100k+ upvotes on the anti-SLV thread on main page and that's just the first one I clicked on.

Like I get it, WSB is not a monolith. But they are also clearly not pushing SLV like the media is saying they are.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I can attest that wsb as a whole is not behind silver. At ALL
My sense is that staff communication doesn't have a firm perspective on the size of WSB to make the temperature check it thinks it's making.

"There's hundreds of people in there talking about how it's a good idea" To be clear, the subreddit regularly has 1m-500k users reported active on it at any time and active posts regularly have 1k+ comments, the proof posted are indicators that this doesn't even register as minority opinion on the board.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Trolling
Guys, the origin for the story in the OP is literally a 92 post thread on the ResetERA Gaming forum. There's dozens of people in there talking about how Dark Souls 2 is actually the best Soulsborne game. Here's the thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...ark-souls-2-best-souls-2-kind-of-guys.366275/ Here's another: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...s-most-definitely-the-best-souls-game.135500/

Everyone needs to remember that ResetERA isn't a monolith and that there's a contingent of people on ERA who have a lot of praise for DS1/BB who need public perception to stay up to validate their opinion, so it's in their best interest to say this thread never existed even though it clearly does. It's not fake news, that it's fake is the lie.

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
The staff communication in the thread here is embarrassing - there are nearly 8 million readers subscribed on WSB, one or two 15k posts is hardly enough to justify a conclusion that the media has given to this "reddit shifts to silver" nonsense narrative

Oct 27, 2017
My sense is that staff communication doesn't have a firm perspective on the size of WSB to make the temperature check it thinks it's making.

"There's hundreds of people in there talking about how it's a good idea" To be clear, the subreddit regularly has 1m-500k users reported active on it at any time and active posts regularly have 1k+ comments, the proof posted are indicators that this doesn't even register as minority opinion on the board.
Guys, the origin for the story in the OP is literally a 92 post thread on the ResetERA Gaming forum. There's dozens of people in there talking about how Dark Souls 2 is actually the best Soulsborne game. Here's the thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/lt...ark-souls-2-best-souls-2-kind-of-guys.366275/ Here's another: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ya...s-most-definitely-the-best-souls-game.135500/

Everyone needs to remember that ResetERA isn't a monolith and that there's a contingent of people on ERA who have a lot of praise for DS1/BB who need public perception to stay up to validate their opinion, so it's in their best interest to say this thread never existed even though it clearly does. It's not fake news, that it's fake is the lie.

People make mistakes :D

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is golden 😂

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The guys investing in a company just cause the name was Naked for the luls, suddenly switching gears to something like silver seems pretty suss to me, I dunno guys.

Oct 25, 2017
1: WSB is being astroturfed to hell and back right now.

2: MSM doesn't understand how Reddit works.

3: MSM could possibly be on the take as well. No way to know for sure, but it's possible.

4: What's happening with GME, AG, AA, etc - it's all gambling right now. It's not investment.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
qDyHwyz.png

Uh, aren't jokey posts that swap in a gaming theme to make a rhetorical point kind of a standby around here? C'mon, y'all.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
So era-staff link to a thread where the OP is removed by mods? On a sub where there has arrived almost 5 million subs during the span of a week, most of them being bots? yeah this is extremely fishy.

edit: i mean the reddit thread is fishy. nothing else.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
So correct me if I'm wrong, but yesterday someone caught a two-week ban for saying what everyone in this thread is saying?

JfzCKfV.png

Staff decided to let these stupid stonk gambling threads continue, and then end up in the totally-not-problematic position of separating good information from bad, with apparently none of the expertise required to do so.

What the hell is happening here? What is the plan?

Quoting for visibility

No idea what the hell is going on around here.

Everyone needs to remember that WSB isn't a monolith

Do we? I thought this was a fucking gaming forum, not an alternative advertising channel.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Mods in here acting weird as hell. That staff communication post is really strange.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Mods in here acting weird as hell. That staff communication post is really strange.
The staff communication isn't very professional if I'm going to be honest. Though at this point it doesn't look like the decision on how to handle this thread will be changed. If they have something to say, which it feels like they do they should just make a post.

Last edited:

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
So Enforcer is still banned even after it's been pointed out they were clearly right, and rather than acting on it mods ban another poster for a joke about their own staff message which looks absurd now given what we know about the Reddit posts regarding buying silver. Did I miss anything? This is ridiculous. Y'all are embarrassing.

Last edited:

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
Why did he get banned for that post?

Analysts who monitor silver markets say there is more to the story than small investors rushing in.

"The asset is traded by a variety of institutional players, and it is very likely that those parties have joined the move to push the metal higher," wrote Boris Schlossberg of BK Asset Management.

One of the easiest ways for investors to get exposure to silver is through the S&P 500's silver ETF, the price of which is shown in the chart above. Trading in the SLV fund was at about five times the normal volume on Monday. Of about 600 million fund units in circulation, roughly 24 million of them are currently being shorted, according to Bloomberg data.

New York-based hedge fund Citadel — which has been accused by the Redditors of trying to manipulate the market by bailing out other short sellers and trying to influence brokerage Robinhood to limit trading in GameStop — owns just over six million units of SLV. That's less than one per cent of the silver fund's total value.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck is going on with that staff post and these bans?
The protocol usually involves the user themselves being allowed to send a ticket (a newish process I think?) to try and repeal their ban. Any of us talking about it technically could catch a ban as well, as per the rules. So we'll probably never know. Just recounting what I've seen before and things mods have stated, I could be wrong.

Most of this stuff I've seen comes from the community feedback thread, which is tucked off in the Announcements forum.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
the whole silver thing was clearly a misinformation campaign

the posts linked by mods in the thread remarks are created by brand new accounts on wsb

its ok we all make mistakes sometimes mods

opiumtrader

Jun 29, 2018
SLV pumping on r/wsb was definitely a thing last week. There were several posts touting SLV, including the ones posted by the staff. They were heavily upvoted and heavily commented. Not saying all of r/wsb was all aboard but there was definitely support by some.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
SLV pumping on r/wsb was definitely a thing last week. There were several posts touting SLV, including the ones posted by the staff. They were heavily upvoted and heavily commented. Not saying all of r/wsb was all aboard but there was definitely support by some.
The problem is, that happened last week. The silver news from the media was being pushed today. Wallstreetbets currently has far more popular posts telling people not to buy silver. The story doesn't represent the current situation and it would be false to claim otherwise. The news outlets are wrong, and the mods are wrong.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
imo merge all gamestop threads into one megathread to contain the conversation and prevent new threads

(there's 4 threads i think atm)

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm interested in knowing why some people are getting banned? Isn't wall street in general all speculation anyways? Can there really be a "wrong answer"?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Staying away from SLV.

Keeping AMC long term and was priced out of GME once it went over 100.
Think I am staying out of GME, can't blame folks for holding if they got it like that tho.