• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I keep telling people at work that they should have used Mace Windu, who had light AND Dark Side tendencies, as a much stronger plot element.

Palpatine fears Mace the most, so he devices a plot where Mace undergoes a very public trial and execution. The most powerful Jedi is thus executed and it sets the tone for the fall of the order, they become much less tolerant of any shades of grey and become more radicalized, this sets Anakins turn to the dark side in a much more natural way.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
prequels and backstory lore dump like the simarillion & star wars prequel should have been left untold. They were better when being mere whispers in the 'main stories'.

Except for Better Call Saul (which is a spin off rather than a prequel/backstory lore dump) and the Godfather Part 2, there isn't any prequel in the history of fiction that didn't went off the course and jumped the shark

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Incidentally just watched the prequels and a New Hope with my wife who hasn't seen Star Wars. Even just after A New Hope you see a big gulf in the prequels and the original trilogy.

Things that I think could have made prequel better:

1. Better Actors for Anakin/Padme
  2. Less time on young Anakin - like we don't need to spend 20 minutes on a race. Nobody questioned why Luke was good at flying - he just was. But in prequel they have to show us Anakin is good at flying.
  3. The first movie is useless really
  4. Comedy from character interactions and not Jar Jar being goofy
  5. Slow burn to dark side over 2 movies for Anakin
  6. Padme dying after Anakin becomes Darth would have been fabulous I think
  7. More Jedi and Sith lore

But at the end of the day none of the characters and actors would match-up to the Ford-Carrie-Hamill chemistry I think and that would have been it's biggest failure.
The actors would have had tremendous chemistry if they were in the hands of a competent director. That's the biggest fault of the prequel trilogy, it's an astronomical fuck up to waste an all star cast of Liam Nesson, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Samuel Jackson, Brian Blessed, Christopher Lee, etc and throw not one but two middling child actors into the mix.