• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark being in there is extremely unusual. It's never been rereleased on Nintendo systems, and the IP is fully owned by Rare. I would be shocked beyond belief if the N64 version actually came out on Switch.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Perfect Dark being in there is extremely unusual. It's never been rereleased on Nintendo systems, and the IP is fully owned by Rare. I would be shocked beyond belief if the N64 version actually came out on Switch.
Nintendo makes deals with other 3rd parties for NSO, this would be no different. Besides, MS and Nintendo have a good relationship.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Especially Perfect Dark raises an eyebrow, isn't that owned by MS?

Frankly, perfect dark being there and not, like, Banjo kazooie (if it's not) would make me presume it's nothing that will see fruition any time soon.
Nintendo makes deals with other 3rd parties for NSO, this would be no different. Besides, MS and Nintendo have a good relationship.

It's obviously not perfect either, they've had trouble with the DKC games before, and they're some of the few still missing from SNES NSO.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Uhhm...The first perfect dark was on an N64

My bad I see re-release

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
can we pleeeaseee get Rare Replay (work with MS here) instead of PD on VC? Rather get the updated one with higher textures, remodels and 1080p

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, perfect dark being there and not, like, Banjo kazooie (if it's not) would make me presume it's nothing that will see fruition any time soon.

It's obviously not perfect either, they've had trouble with the DKC games before, and they're some of the few still missing from SNES NSO.
There are other first party games missing because they drip feed them. I wouldn't read too much into currently missing games on NSO. Their relationship with MS is also fairly recent.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, I will lose my shit if they add N64 and Perfect Dark to switch.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
NERD created new emulators for this. It ain't as lazy as "they just put 3 roms in the package and called it a day".
Especially since Nintendo's previous N64 emulator sucked ass, so thank god they put NERD to work, they're some of the best in the industry.
It's still a low effort work. I expected emulation if the GameCube titles, but a remaster of 64 would have been worth the effort and would have made the package special.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect Dark isn't that far fetched folks, MS let Cuphead be ported to Switch and allowed Banjo for Smash.

Rare Replay is also on Gamepass, so it would make sense to have a Switch port for sale.

change1.jpg

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
A treasure trove of perfectly emulated, unreleased classics? That's a comfy chair for Nintendo!
HOPEFULLY they will released them, ideally on NSO, if not...well, if price isn't ridiculous I'd bite, never even touched a N64 (well, once, but it only had Pokemon Stadium)

Jan 4, 2018
The Perfect Dark 2010 Xbox remake would make more sense than the 2000 N64 game with old graphics and no online multiplayer but that would require Rare Replay to arrive on the Switch...

1124f71a4a0aad76730d812742ba9ddb563adf0b_hq.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If you're working on a new emulator, you'll absolutely need to test different software on it, even if you're just planning on releasing that one game.

Don't do this to yourselves.
This, but it's already late, people swarming the thread asking for their favorite games to be included in an imaginary n64 NSO service.

Perfect Dark was part of Rare Replay and owned by Microsoft. There are rumors of an upcoming game in the series. If memory doesn't fail me even the DKC games had to be temporarily pulled off of VC possibly due to licensing issues. This spells out 'it aint happening' in multiple ways.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I seriously don't think I'd want to play the N64 version of Perfect Dark now, especially with the Xbox 360 version's improved resolution and framerate.

That original N64 version of PD is great nostalgia-wise, but pretty tough to play today.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Seems these are VC carryovers. Still pretty hopeful for n64 NSO tho. The lack of codename is suspicious though. That and the limited window on the collection.

I mean why remove the codename unless you were worried about it being linked to another project

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God damn it no, do not release N64 on NSO. Just port over Rare Replay.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Gimmie that Kirby 64. Also F-Zero X, Dr. Mario 64, Smash, Pokemon Puzzle League, Mario Tennis, and Star Fox 64, among other things.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Perfect Dark being there is probably only for testing the emulator capabilities; since it pushes the N64 hardware a lot. But, if N64 NSO finally happens (I hope so), I wouldn't be shocked to see some Microsoft owned games being thrown in there. Well, Banjo and Diddy Kong Racing, at very least.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The inclusion of Perfect Dark here kills any chance of this being a list of planned future releases. Goldeneye 007 was published by Nintendo, but Perfect Dark was not

Oct 25, 2017
The inclusion of Perfect Dark here kills any chance of this being a list of planned future releases. Goldeneye 007 was published by Nintendo, but Perfect Dark was not
Perfect Dark is more than likely just part of the emulation testing. Emulators like these are always meant to support a lot more games than actually released just for the sake of future proofing. The SNES App supports more than double whats there so far for example.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
It really makes you wonder how Perfect Dark (a fully owned MS IP) could somehow miraculously make it onto the Switch but MOTHERFUCKING GOLDENEYE STILL CAN'T.

I realize Goldeneye's situation is a little more complicated, but still!

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Perfect Dark is more than likely just part of the emulation testing. Emulators like these are always meant to support a lot more games than actually released just for the sake of future proofing. The SNES App supports more than double whats there so far for example.
Agreed. PD is a demanding game for N64 so it would make for a good stress test. Still, they could have only tested SM64 if they were only interested in releasing the one game

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
All-Stars only being available until March probably is a big clue about a reasonable time frame to expect N64 on NSO, I think...

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The ghost of the N64 Classic Mini is here /s

Nah but real talk, this could lead to some interesting shit. 2021 potentially will be a fun time for the NSO offerings.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Not a surprise; they're probably preparing for some form of N64 rereleases eventually with the same emulator.

Perfect Dark isn't even surprising either, the Wii U N64 VC games had config files for multiple Rare games (alongside other games that were never released).

> no mischiefmakersRenderer
> no goemonRenderer

I regret coming into this thread
Hey, if the games represented by those Wii U config files are revisited, these two have a good chance of being released because they were in there.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I would assume since MS and Nintendo are working together pretty good now since Cuphead and Ori are on Switch now, Rare Replay must be coming soon, right?