• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What sort of crowd participation seems most fun to you?

• Chanting "Kamehameha" with Goku

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Clapping vigorously with Orson Welles in Citizen Kane

Votes: 46 24.9%
  • Mindlessly screaming my head off whenever a character I like comes on screen

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Doing that one thing everyone loves with Malekith in Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 56 30.3%

• Total voters

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The Rocky Horror Picture Show was famous for its participation screenings. Never saw one myself unfortunately (meaning, I only saw the movie), but there was a whole elaborate shtick to yell phrases in response to what characters said on screen. The audience dresses up as characters from the film. And in some scenes props were involved, like throwing rice during the wedding.
Here's a script I found: https://www.mortaljourney.com/2011/...or-picture-show-audience-participation-script

Apparently the broadway show had a similar concept. There's a sound recording of a show, including the participation. The cinema screenings were probably similar.

edit: If you google a little more, there are excepts of participation screenings on youtube!
You make it sound like you missed it forever. Rocky Horror participation screenings are on all the time. It's basically never left circulation since it came out.

I went to one last year and I've noticed a few more on around here since.

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
"Was"? People still do it!
You make it sound like you missed it forever. Rocky Horror participation screenings are on all the time. It's basically never left circulation since it came out.

I went to one last year and I've noticed a few more on around here since.
Whoopsie, I'm not from the US, so it's all second-hand knowledge to me. Cool, that they still do it, I'd love to participate some time. In Germany there's not really the same (trained) audience for it. There were probably some special participation screenings, but for several reasons (language, culture of midnight-screenings), it probably didn't last as long as in the US.

How was taking part in the screening?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Much as I love poll options with thor two the dark world jokes, I feel as though singing the opening chant from the lion king during that pivotal scene in black panther is the more salient choice

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The only thing like this I've been to was a midnight screening for Revenge of the Sith.

It was really fun. It made the movie seem a lot better than it really was, too.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
The Room has similar "audience participation" screenings to Rocky Horror where I am, they're a lot of fun if you know the movie already, but I could imagine it could be pretty annoying if you were trying to pay attention to the movie. Not that The Room is worth paying close attention to!

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I saw the midnight opening showing of Endgame here in Tokyo and it was an 応援上映 and it was the PERFECT way to experience the movie. It was full of Marvel/MCU fans and they were into it. Laughing at the appropriate parts, recognizing the in-jokes and fan service, ooh-ing and applauding at the cool moments, crying at the sad parts...I totally loved it. So glad I saw it then.

I went back and saw it two days later at a normal showing and it was dead silent for most of the movie except near the end where everybody was sniffling and crying. Definitely not as exciting a way to see it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That looks really fun!

Wouldn't watch a movie for the first time like that, but must be neat for rewatches.