• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Weirdest thing happened yesterday. Posted on the Official Vizio subreddit about needing a new TV (same as I posted here) but their OLEDs were only being carried by Vizio directly and Best Buy. I mentioned about being disabled and being stuck paying the $175 fee to Best Buy to put the TV on my current stand would put it out if my price range. Someone messaged me saying they'll send me the $175 difference if I gave them my email. I thought they were joking, but on the off chance they weren't I supplied my email and next thing I know they deposited $175 in my PayPal account! He wished me a happy holidays, said to go buy my dream TV and that was the last I heard from him.

I messaged him back thanking him, said I'd refund the money if he changed his mind.

Not sure what to make of it. As people might now, I've had a very bad year. Had a major back surgery in Jan that failed and have been cooped up inside and isolated because of covid for 11mos now.

Nicest thing anyone has done for me in a long while.

Last edited:

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
But reddit is one the worst places according to resetera.
1f914.png

But that's awesome.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome op! And kudos to the stranger for helping you out. Enjoy your new tv!

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool of them to do that. Now go get a tv.

Try your luck on random act of Blowjobs next or Pizza.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Despite what some people love to say, Reddit as a whole is one of the more positive places on the internet as long as you're not in any shitty subreddits. Hope you get that TV installed and can enjoy it!

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
1f914.png

But that's awesome.
It's such a weird take because each subreddit is its own forum. With its own rules, mods, and structure.

Yes, I get the critiques about Reddit moderation as a whole, like Reddit allowing problematic subreddits up for a while. But lots of great subreddits there.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Very nice of them. Enjoy the television and happy holidays!

Hidant

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome OP and great from the stranger to help you out but damn that's an expensive installation if it's only putting a TV on a wall mount, that's a half an hour job at most.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's such a weird take because each subreddit is its own forum. With its own rules, mods, and structure.

Yes, I get the critiques about Reddit moderation as a whole, like Reddit allowing problematic subreddits up for a while. But lots of great subreddits there.
These sorts of generalizations so annoying, aside from cases where it's blatantly true like Parlor or something. "Fans of Bjork are the worst". Like what? Get a life.

Especially when it comes to meta-commentary about ERA. "Everyone on ERA is awful. Except for me of course."

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, to me it's the same as saying "Invision Free is bad" in the mid 2000s. Reddit is extremely easy to tailor into your own thing. Obviously it can be... questionable at times, but what massive site isn't? If we want to be real controversial I've yet to find art forums/subreddits/equivalents that give critiques or have resource lists nearly as good as the graphic design and photography boards on 4chan.

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Reddit isn't a monolith

They are subreddits that are even more left leaning and more progressive than Resetera ever does lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These sorts of generalizations so annoying, aside from cases where it's blatantly true like Parlor or something. "Fans of Bjork are the worst". Like what? Get a life.

Especially when it comes to meta-commentary about ERA. "Everyone on ERA is awful. Except for me of course."
Like I said, I do get the real critiques against reddit for not banning problematic subreddits sooner. But sometimes the discussion about that site lacks nuance.

Many folks critiquing it do not even know how it is structured. They think subreddits are like subforums here. No, subreddits are wholly independent and run by different folks with different moderation structures and guidelines.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
A random person on Reddit gifted me some retro PC parts after I posted a question about suitable upgrades for the machine that I had, while the parts weren't worth anywhere near as much as $175 it was still really appreciated as unforseen repairs (seller lied about the condition) had consumed the budget I had for upgrading it. The generalisations about Reddit being a bad place are unfair, each community is its own seperate entity and the small hobby ones can be great.

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
That's awesome OP and great from the stranger to help you out but damn that's an expensive installation if it's only putting a TV on a wall mount, that's a half an hour job at most.
Not even wall mounting it, just disposing my current tv, then putting the new one on an existing stand. Bestbuy has me over a barrel. I missed all the tv sales last week so I'm stuck. Would rather buy from Costco. Still need to buy an extended warranty as well which will cost me like $150:for a year.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
People on the internet can be kind, some times. You would be surprised how many kindness there is around here, on ERA too.

Bless people...sometimes

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Welcome to the internet. On Twitter the other day a woman showed her chat with her son and him asking why she took his two dollars. Once she posted his cash app random people just started sending the little boy money

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy awesome. It can be really disarming when someone is decent human being, let alone someone gifting $175 to a random stranger as an act of kindness. And yes, Reddit is a pretty great place for the most part.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why you don't know what to make of it. But then again I gave a game key to some stranger from this board yesterday and he pm'd questioning the origin of it.

Don't get why people poison these acts that others do for them.

I'm so tired.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I saw something similar recently on a fantasy book sub reddit. Guy was selling off his favorite books because he was out of a job due to the pandemic and needed money. Someone bought the books and then told him to keep it as a gift. Such moments of generosity are so beautiful to see.

Reddit isn't a monolith

They are subreddits that are even more left leaning and more progressive than Resetera ever does lol

The US politics sub reddit - u/politics - is even more left leaning and progressive than poliera.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That's not a level of nuance you see often here regarding reddit.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
If I were rich, I wouldn't mind helping out a stranger on the internet (after checking their post history to make sure they aren't a shithead)

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Very nice of them, make sure you pay it forward when you get the opportunity yourself, OP, and the world will be a much better place.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Back in an old forum we used to gift each other steam games sometimes, when sales were happening on during holidays. I did it too but... i don't think i ever felt comfortable receiving games like that. Please don't be nice to me.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I love that.
Wish I could help you put up the TV. Charging $175 for that is such a steal.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
That's fucking awesome OP. Sounds like they made your day... And anyone who can prove they have a disability shouldn't have to pay that fee.

Charging that much in the first place is a joke.

Lol @ Best Buy.

1f914.png

But that's awesome.
Reddit has some unbelievably positive communities. ERA could actually learn a thing or too from some of them.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
There are some cool people out there. Pay it forward when you have a chance and the world will keep being a pretty cool place. At least sometimes.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
There are good people everywhere. Glad to see you found one of them.

Maybe that person is some super rich guy who continuously exploits others to get more wealthy and now does random acts of kindness to ease their consciousness a little.

No reason to be positive here.

/s

But seriously, good for you OP. And yeah you can never really know when someone has had a really tough time so random acts of kindness can be huge sometimes.