• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LEGO-Ideas-21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-Review-hPmIe-1-2048x1365.jpg

There is an "island mode" where the pirates all hang out:
LEGO-Ideas-21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-Review-hPmIe-39-2048x2048.jpg

And a "sailing mode" where the ship is free-standing:
LEGO-Ideas-21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-Review-hPmIe-81-2048x1365.jpg

And of course, comparison to the classic Black Seas Barracuda:
LEGO-Ideas-21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-Review-hPmIe-92-2048x1365.jpg

And the minifigures (left group is the new set, right is classic 90s figures):
LEGO-Ideas-21322-Pirates-of-Barracuda-Bay-Review-hPmIe-73-2048x1075.jpg

Available April 1st. 2500 pieces, $199 US, so not a bad ratio!

www.lego.com

Pirates of Barracuda Bay 21322 | Ideas | Buy online at the Official LEGO® Shop US

Pirate shipwreck island building set for play and display

www.brothers-brick.com

LEGO Ideas 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay is a 2,500-piece love letter to classic Pirates [Review] - The Brothers Brick

The Black Seas Barracuda is back! LEGO's newest Ideas set is 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay, and it's a whopping 2,545 piece shipwreck island. But don't worry, you can build the full ship, too. Check out our hands-on review!

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love if they did more of these kind of "HD" sets. I hope they do a classic castle throwback at some point, it's sorely missed.

A replacement for classic castle sets, the Harry Potter theme just ain't.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I feel like new sets have too many specialty pieces. I prefer the bottom of the ship (the hull?) in the older set. And the plain innocent smiles of the old minifigs are much more charming than the modern Dreamworks faces haha

But I suppose that time has gone by and everything is in the style of Disney, other franchises, and LEGO Friends now.

Oct 26, 2017
B-b-b-but Lego is so expensive nowadays! (The original was $110 for 909 pieces, this is $200 for 2545 pieces. Oh, and adjusted for inflation the original would cost $230 today.)

B-b-b-but Lego only uses large custom parts nowadays! (The original notably used five huge specialized parts for the hull, and specialized masts, while the new one seems to build the hull from scratch and has only parts of the masts specialized.)

Day one. Hour one, if possible, although shipping will be a long wait anyway.

Edit: Oh, on closer view the new one also uses specialized hull parts, but they are close to the same design as the old ones.

Edit 2: Lol at above. Take off the nostalgia goggles. Your original pirate ship had the same hull parts and the original Pirates theme in 1989 was THE very theme that introduced detailed faces on the minifigures in the first place.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Okay, I have to get this. I was hoping for more Pirate sets to come and here it is finally. Now all they need to bring back is some castle sets and I will be thrilled.

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's right, this is the finished version after being adapted by Lego.

The original:

gVJtqQk.png

Damn they took a ton of liberties. I guess they just couldn't bring themselves to make a 200 dollar pirate set that DIDN'T include a ship.

Understandable, and I actually prefer the ship mode anyway.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Had the classic one as a kid. Remember a friend of mine accidentally leaned back right into it and it "broke" 😩
All of my lego sets went to my cousins later on, now I wonder what happened with them.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original idea maybe looks better technically but it's "just" a good build. The concept of this one incorporating the classic ship (as a separate piece even!) is genius and makes it special, I love it.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh man, the memories. My brother had the pirate ship, the navy ship and the fort years ago. The captain is just like he was back in the day.

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't. Not only does Lego only float if it's completely enclosed (like dedicated one-piece boat hulls), there are big holes in the hull parts for connectors.

2559c03.jpg

I feel like "it floats" was total elementary school cafeteria rumor mill. Like some kid brings in the dog-eared Lego catalog and everyone looks at it together and some kid is like "oh yeah the ship floats" and everyone believes him because no one has it yet lol

Oct 28, 2017
California
Oh man, I just got a huge rush of nostalgia.

The Pirates, Medieval, and the Adventures (the wannabe Indiana Jones style Legos) were my favorites growing up.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was more of a City Lego guy myself. Oh and the space police joints. But I dug the castle sets too.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this was a total lie, lol

Other kids also told me the M-tron neon green parts glowed in the dark .... that too was a giant lie.
It didn't. Not only does Lego only float if it's completely enclosed (like dedicated one-piece boat hulls), there are big holes in the hull parts for connectors.

2559c03.jpg
Can confirm with sad, soggy experience, that it did not.
Huh, childhood memories lied to me. I remember playing with the set in a kiddie pool.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I thought this was going to be the Thousand Sunny for some reason. Lol.