• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
"I didn't hear about these games in a genre I barely check out anymore so no strides exist in this genre"

Don't care if you personally heard of them. The genre still has more variety than just bullet hell.

Unless you're combing the cess pool of cheapo looking indie games, you're going to miss those. It's like claiming someone doesn't follow the side scrolling action genre because they haven't heard of a bunch of no name $10 games.

Anyways I checked out those titles you mentioned, and man...if that's what shooter fans have these days, then the best days are long gone. Glad I got to experience the genre in it's prime where we had greats like Raiden 2, Axelay, Thunder Force 3, Ray Storm, and Gradius.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Unless you're combing the cess pool of cheapo looking indie games, you're going to miss those. It's like claiming someone doesn't follow the side scrolling action genre because they haven't heard of a bunch of no name $10 games.

Anyways I checked out those titles you mentioned, and man...if that's what shooter fans have these days, then the best days are long gone. Glad I got to experience the genre in it's prime where we had greats like Raiden 2, Axelay, Thunder Force 3, Ray Storm, and Gradius.

"I'mma just namedrop some classics as if no one else has played them, and judge these new games without even playing them since that's how you determine a quality shmup, by watching it"

Boring ass discussion. I'm out.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Anyone that uses crap like Axelay to define a genre has already failed.

I assumed they already knew about the CAVE, Raizing, Psikyo, and Treasure games that's why i didn't mention them, but he really meant 16 bit when he said it lol. That's fine if that's all they are into, but trying to paint the genre with a broad bullet hell stroke is very ignorant. Shitting on games because they are indie and not sold at a high cost is even more ignorant.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
This is true of any medium (movies, books, etc.)
Yeah pretty much.

There are "trends" in any medium.

Now it's more leaning towards "cinematic action games".

It'll probably change in a few years.

Edit: Mandatory "awards are stupid". Don't read them.

Enjoy what you like. Don't wait for someone else to enjoy it.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
They had JUMP FORCE nominated for the best fighting game.

Tells you all you need to know about how many shits they have to give about this genre.

Yeah it's a shame. I think for next year the Jury should be expanded to include outlets (or even individuals) or are more versed in particularly underrated genres so they don't make that mistake again.

Jump Force getting in over Power Rangers is a big snub. I feel bad for Clockwork and the others. A lot of people from the FGC helped make that game.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Racers are a big one, the Forza Horizon series instantly comes to mind, they are some of the best games every year they release but the most they will ever get is getting best racing/sports game but never are in any talks for GOTY even though they easily should.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Good games tend to get recognised, regardless of genre.

Tetris has won plenty of awards even though it's a puzzle game, because it's also an absolutely perfect puzzle game.
Walking Dead won plenty of awards even though it was an Adventure Game / Visual Novel hybrid, because it had incredible writing.

Maybe the people making Musou games need to step up and make something incredible?

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It says more about the Awards show and the mainstream than it does with the strength of the medium. I'm fine with it. Niche genres have consistently proven to prevail, if you look at comapnies like SNK that keeps running despite numerous times when they ran close to shutting down for good.

When a person wants to do something chances are they will do it, and that's also true for game development. It's not getting the mainstream exposure but then again, it also doesn't want to sell out to be the next homogenized schlock-work.

In order to be AAA you need to have cutting edge graphics, RPG-light systems, Open World, "blockbuster setpieces" and whatever else. It's boring. It's there to please a mainstream and that's the biggest change in gaming in the last 10 years. It used to be that the layman gamer would look to movie titles which big companies would produce because of course the recognition of the movie it's based on will be a hit with the crowd! And everything aped Mario 64 because 3D platformers were so next gen! Since Uncharted I would say, we proved gaming can rival movies, not live in its shadow but outperform them with movie-quality writing and more intense action-pieces that happen at a fast rate than any Die Hard could attempt, all while it's also playable and fun.

Since then, and especially The Last of Us, it's as if the floodgates opened and people who used to think gaming was too nerdy to play as adults sweep in because now it has prestige; of being on par with movies and sometimes better than half the garbage blockbusters that come out each year in the cinema. It's true, we've really moved gaming into a space where it's becoming the primary form of entertainment for everybody - that's our current golden age: its popularity. It says nothing about being a golden age for quality or diversity of ideas. It's the opposite, but to end on a positive note I have personally enjoyed the increased acceptance of gaming as a medium for art. That's a bit of an oxymoron because I think true art comes from craft, and craft doesn't mean it has to be "artsy" just that something like Pac-Man can be equally amazing because you don't get that anywhere but on a gaming machine.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wish

I don't really recall Smash being recognised in the same vein as RDR2 and God of War last year outside of Famitsu. Game is great though and deserves all the awards.
Smash Ultimate Missed the general cutoff for GOTY's last year since it came out in december which i think always works against the game generally. I can't think of a game that came out just past the GOTY windows and won (Game of the year specifically) the following year .

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Good games tend to get recognised, regardless of genre.

I think a better way to put it is good games get recognized by genre enthusiasts, but not always mainstream audiences. Or by proxy, press awards.

Some genres are just too niche to garner much attention on a critical-mass level. Others do sell well (racing and sports are good examples) but never enter the conversation during awards season for whatever odd reason.

It just speaks to trends with larger, mainstream audiences. Last gen it was all about the FPS. This gen it's all about the AAA 3rd-person action/adventure. They tend to soak up all the limelight, and that's fine. It's just a reflection of where most eyes are focused.

Doesn't take one bit away from underappreciated or unrecognized gems in other genres.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
The "Skill" factor in games gatekeeps many amazing games from getting awards , unlike movies. Ultimately Goty is a popularity contest of great games. The game with the lowest skill floor makes it easy to understand the appeal of the game. MOBAs, Fighting games or heck MP games in general are difficult to judge because it takes a while to truly see the full potential of the game.

So no I don't agree with OP saying certain genres are "Lesser" than others. Many of them have appeal only to their own fanbase , who can appropriately judge the quality of the game.

Thats why the idea of GOTY is kinda dumb , 99% of the time its just Best Action Adventure or RPG. Quality does not matter , you see titles like Inquisition winning despite games like Bayo 2 , Mario Kart releasing that year.

If you start asking even more people to vote for Goty awards , you will start seeing mobile games winning as those are waaaay more popular. But that audience does not really care for Goty or gaming awards.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesnt really bother me, it's a popularity contest anyway.

Meanwhile my most played games every year is a new reiteration of Football Manager. It's a GOTY contender annually at this point.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Not just genres. Some design decisions and budget priorities are more prestigious than others for some reason.

Focusing on cutscene presentation/direction will make a game more praised
than any great and well balanced gameplay.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Not just genres. Some design decisions and budget priorities are more prestigious than others for some reason.

Focusing on cutscene presentation/direction will make a game more praised
than any great and well balanced gameplay.

It is hilarious how things that are unique to a video game are the ones that get shafted , while the "Movie" like ones get awards.
We got awards Best Performing Actor and Best Direction and what not. But you don't see awards for Best Level Design,Best Game Mechanic or Puzzle...etc

The whole goty thing feels like the industry is still chasing "Acceptance" from the Movie industry , while also bragging about how gaming is bigger.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I can't think in any musou that deserves GOTY, and I spent 100+ hours in many of them.

May 17, 2019
It is hilarious how things that are unique to a video game are the ones that get shafted , while the "Movie" like ones get awards.
We got awards Best Performing Actor and Best Direction and what not. But you don't see awards for Best Level Design,Best Game Mechanic or Puzzle...etc

The whole goty thing feels like the industry is still chasing "Acceptance" from the Movie industry , while also bragging about how gaming is bigger.

And that is why I think a lot of the Sony and Microsoft big budget stuff goes in the wrong direction and don't deserve as much praise. They make interactive movies, but rarely utilize ludo-narrative-symmetry. That is pretty much the parlance of indie games.