• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Note there's no PS5 patch yet, this is just the game running in Backwards Compatible mode. Nothing wild but pretty good considering no patch.

Some loading & 4K / PS4 Pro mode tests:

And an HDR test:

Also a little news post about running the game here.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Nice to see. Though it's hard to go back to console after beefing up PC. Playing the game at max settings at 1440p while getting around 100fps, there's no reason to play it elsewhere.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
This - loading times look great, but mine are pretty good on PC already, and I get 1440p/100+ FPS on PC.

Yeah. I'll hold off on console, even if/when they put out a PS5 version. Unfortunately while I have a 4K tv, it doesn't support 120hz, so even if they upped the FPS, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway.

Looking forward though to see what they do with at least a PS5 patch to take better use of the SSD and drive loading times down further for console players.

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Oh my God bless you for posting this! I've been trying to find what the BC is like and it is very nice! Hopefully hunt trains are a little more manageable when loading into the zone. The frame rate looks much better too!

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
My god the loading time ! Oh thank you !

Edit: Will I need to do anything to have my PS4 character on my PS5 ?

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Why does the lighting look a little flat on console? It's like some shadows are missing or something. Very noticeable in the Eulmore clip.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't planning on getting a PS5 anytime soon but I play FFXIV regularly on my PS4... Hmmmmmmmmmm.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see. Though it's hard to go back to console after beefing up PC. Playing the game at max settings at 1440p while getting around 100fps, there's no reason to play it elsewhere.

Not to mention mod and parser support (at your own risk). But having this in one's back pocket is still great, especially for those of us who play on controller anyway.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I would be interested in trying it on PS5 if I weren't already relatively invested in the PC version. That said, I don't know if I could ever adapt to the controller settings. I'm not a PC gamer by any means but MMOs, for me, have to have a keyboard and mouse. You PS players are wizards! (or Black Mages, in this case.)

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh. When they announced and Xbox version of 14 last December I thought for sure it would be out by the 2.0 rework and the console launch at the latest. Fucking covid.

I just know as soon as I have to go back to raiding on my original ps4 I will break and buy a ps5 earlier than I wanted to, dammit

The pro modes are just 1440/30 or 1080/60ish right? Not both? Is it unlocked enough for a chance to boost mode utsway there before the compatibility patch?

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My god the loading time ! Oh thank you !

Edit: Will I need to do anything to have my PS4 character on my PS5 ?

Your character is saved on the server but there are a few locally stored settings that need to be backed up to the server.

"Character settings are not automatically transferred. To transfer your character settings data, you will need to use the Server Backup function to back up your data, which can then be restored on the PlayStation®5.

Learn more about the Server Backup function."

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Tried this yesterday on PS5 and it looks great. Runs Pro settings at what I assume is a solid 60fps, no hiccups. Load times are quick too.

I wasn't aware that FF14 supported HDR? Is that just automatic, because I haven't seen a setting in it before.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I would be interested in trying it on PS5 if I weren't already relatively invested in the PC version. That said, I don't know if I could ever adapt to the controller settings. I'm not a PC gamer by any means but MMOs, for me, have to have a keyboard and mouse. You PS players are wizards! (or Black Mages, in this case.)

It's funny you say this, because I feel the exact opposite. I don't know if I can adapt to mouse and keyboard. I've tried many times before, and while I can get it working at a basic level, I play much worse than on a controller.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
It's funny you say this, because I feel the exact opposite. I don't know if I can adapt to mouse and keyboard. I've tried many times before, and while I can get it working at a basic level, I play much worse than on a controller.

I think, for me, I've been playing WoW since it launched so I had to learn it then and now it's the only way I can play it or FF. When I tried the PS version of FF years ago it was like my brain just broke - I couldn't get used to it at all lol.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Does it even matter considering you can use m/kb on consoles and controller on pc?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Tried this yesterday on PS5 and it looks great. Runs Pro settings at what I assume is a solid 60fps, no hiccups. Load times are quick too.

I wasn't aware that FF14 supported HDR? Is that just automatic, because I haven't seen a setting in it before.

It doesn't support it, I think this is just PS5 auto HDR container. Trust me I have wanted them to support it for a while it just feels so flat on my PS4 Pro compared to some of the games. Curious how the HDR scaler on PS5 might work on this if it does. But I really, really hope that is something they are looking into supporting leading up to the next expansion release. I want blinding sunrises dammit!

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I mean i play on PC and always use a controller i think the game works great with it in fact i think it's even better then m/kb.

I'm not sure what your issue is here with what I said. I, meaning "me or myself", said that, again, -I- could not use the controller and that I was impressed by others who could. That's it. I'm glad you think it works great because I wasn't insulting it.

You're trying to twist this into some weird diss against the controller and I suggest you reread my original post which is not aggressive or mean spirited at all.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this is a massive upgrade for console players. The nice benefit is that you'll see so much more of the environment as well.

The UI looks surprisingly sharp. I know there's settings for higher resolutions, so maybe it's just that? Looks sharper than on 1080p unless I've forgotten how it should look like due to being stuck on a laptop as of late.

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I think, for me, I've been playing WoW since it launched so I had to learn it then and now it's the only way I can play it or FF. When I tried the PS version of FF years ago it was like my brain just broke - I couldn't get used to it at all lol.
Having played mmo's with mouse+kb since forever it took me quite a while to grind the muscle memory for controller in XIV too, and adapting to new jobs and bind changes is still way easier for me on m+kb, I still play with pad on tv occasionally and when doing gathering and stuff, but having played with both, just for raiding m+kb just feels better with targeting,mouseover macros and being able to wiggle the camera when needed(like avoiding gaze attacks while maintaining full uptime)

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not sure what your issue is here with what I said. I, meaning "me or myself", said that, again, -I- could not use the controller and that I was impressed by others who could. That's it. I'm glad you think it works great because I wasn't insulting it.

You're trying to twist this into some weird diss against the controller and I suggest you reread my original post which is not aggressive or mean spirited at all.

God no i think you misunderstood i apologize if that seemed hostile i just wanted to highlight how easy it is to play this game on a controller compared to any other mmo out there and the pc/ps crossplay is also pretty great.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Having played mmo's with mouse+kb since forever it took me quite a while to grind the muscle memory for controller in XIV too, and adapting to new jobs and bind changes is still way easier for me on m+kb, I still play with pad on tv occasionally and when doing gathering and stuff, but having played with both, just for raiding m+kb just feels better with targeting,mouseover macros and being able to wiggle the camera when needed(like avoiding gaze attacks while maintaining full uptime)

Yeah, I think too I can have similar keybinds and set ups to WoW - which obviously I don't play on a TV - so it's easier for me to kinda keep it as "balanced" as possible. I know that's weird in a way since obviously there's different characters, classes, and abilities but I can set things up to be as similar as possible and it makes it easier for me to jump in and out of each.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I'll finally be able to load into Limsa and Eulmore without it taking forever lol. It's not a constant 60 FPS in 4K is it? I can't tell on mobile.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Lol I'm the opposite, I found a way to add the cross hotbar from ffxiv onto WoW been playing it with a
Controller for last few months using consoleport/wowmapper

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
My laptop that I play XIV on is stronger than a Pro but weaker than the PS5 so I'm excited to see how it'll look once it actually gets a patch/full release on PS5.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
This kind of OT, but does FF7R run any better on PS5? I haven't been able to find any info on it.