• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
EjYaDkrVoAA0IXc
I will admit I did not read the OP but my god this great.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
the games look good especially the battle graphics which are 100 percent in line with other modern pokemon games. 100 percent.

definitely some pokemon fans are hard to handle.

months and months of #GAMEFREAKLIED was one of the cringiest things i've experienced online. I'm not huge into pokemon but sword/shield were definitely high quality games with good expansions that sparked endless shrieking from a certain contigent of the fanbase. It was weird to me.

OP
OP
ChristianH94

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Pokémon fans are the worst, and it's not the people OP wrote an essay about lmao, it's people like OP who shut down any criticism or negative opinion.

Why you writing essays just to say people who don't like how the game look are wrong lmao
My entire existence relies up on essays clearly you don't seem to understand the power of applying words into top notch principles especially when it is of something as ludicrously important as fictional monsters that fit inside balls that shrink to become pocket sized and wielded by children who run away from their parents to join a pokemon league that canonically pays less than Mcdonalds wage

Also I don't think I ever said the game looks good, because it looks like shit lmfao. I'm more astounded with the dudes blasting this game as more of a threat to the human race than nuclear war when those same dudes do this every pokemon Gen

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
What game looks worst? I'm legit drawing blank. Maybe an indie title that's going for some ps1 aesthetic or a remaster of some older generation game?
Vroom in the Night Sky. I don't care for the BDSP look either, but it's very disingenuous to say that it's the "worst looking game on Switch" when absolute bottom of the barrel trash like this exists.
2ulyYDmu410ajgfsaYMa9kkHISyCLgJZ.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
What I think is absolutely ironic though is that this is pretty damned close to a 1 to 1 remake as those models have the exact same proportions they did in the DS version which is something I shit you not I've seen some of those people I mentioned in the above paragraph say they wanted when a few talked about how the character models need to go back to the past, map design is exactly like the old game which is exactly like they wanted, random battles are back which is exactly what they wanted, there's no more overworld pokemon which is exactly what they wanted, it doesn't look like there's any real gimmicks in this which is exactly what they wanted, and I could go on and on and on and on about this but this is the exact same damned remake they've been begging to have for better or worse

Because you completely misunderstood what people were hoping for.

When people said they wanted character models to go to the past, they were talking about returning to sprites because the general perception is that 3D models felt lifeless in contrast to sprites.
When people were saying to keep the map design, they wanted less handholding nonsense and allow for exploration (the fear is that stuff like Mt. Coronet was gonna get nerfed into a hallway simulator).

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Some people really really hate GF to the point where they will contradict themselves to hate them.
The GF hate on here is real. A lot of people in the poke community complained over the years about SWSH's graphics but are now contradicting themselves and saying these mobile game chibi graphics look great lmao

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite is how much people hated the way Let's Go looked and then later I see a bunch of images using Let's Go as an example of what D/P remake should have strived for. I legit think there's so pleasing a lot of Pokémon fans.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I think Pokemon, as a series, it´s a place that a lot of older fans (like myself 29 years old) should just move on. I been wanting a game with all the regions and I know that´s not going to happen. Now we are getting a ¨big world¨in Legends. let´s see how that turns out.

That said, the fight against Pokemon is a losing one. The series is at the same height as when Pokemania started. I know on Era hated SWSH, but a ¨bad product¨ as people call it here, wouldn´t go to sell 20 million plus units. In no way, and the ¨of course is Pokemon or It´s Nintendo¨ doesn´t apply. Nintendo and POkemon has had their flops and low selling titles.

In conclusion, maybe it´s time to accept that the product isn´t bad, just it isn´t for you.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite is how much people hated the way Let's Go looked and then later I see a bunch of images using Let's Go as an example of what D/P remake should have strived for. I legit think there's so pleasing a lot of Pokémon fans.

Because that's the standard put forth 3 years ago... and it's lower than an already low expectation. It's not hard to understand.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Fixed that for you.

That's all it was at the end of the day.

This needs to be said first and foremost: Pokemon games were never hard, they were just grindy.
There are like 10 threads where people explain your misconception over and over.
In case you have miraculously dodged them all here it goes:
Exp share off ISNT about grinding.
It's about being underleveled, the AI being more menacing and you having to play better to win.
Stop assuming everyone levels their mons until each enemy is OHKOed. That's not the point.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

I really didn't like Let's go either and it's hilarious people are doing that.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

It's almost like the new games look so bad that people wish they had stuck with Let's Go if they were going to end up doing this shit or something...

The graphics of BDSP are fine, it's the art style that people have a problem with.

Big disagree. It's definitely the execution. The chibi stuff is fine. People are even using ORAS as examples of decent chibi stuff. The issue is that the execution is shitty.

Vroom in the Night Sky. I don't care for the BDSP look either, but it's very disingenuous to say that it's the "worst looking game on Switch" when absolute bottom of the barrel trash like this exists.
2ulyYDmu410ajgfsaYMa9kkHISyCLgJZ.jpg
Looks like a deliberate aesthetic, look at the trees. But even then, I had no idea this game even existed, there are thousands of games on switch. As cuz said above, worst looking mainstream game I've seen or at least nintendo published.

Nov 15, 2018
Some have posted comparison pics in the other threads for how it looks worse than Lets Go and SwSh. People were not happy with the graphics of those 2 games either but graphically they are superior to BDSP.
So Those people prefer them over BDSP, doesn't mean they now suddenly like LG or SwSh. It's just preferring the lesser evil of the given options.

In terms of content, the presents video constantly hammered how they are faithful to the originals, Diamond and Pearl. That makes it questionable if it has all the Platinum additions. If revealed it's just DP content, you should expect there to be backlash and criticism.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I remember people hating SWSH because of how they look and then asking why DP remakes don´t look like SWSH lol. You can´t make that stuff up.
I've seen alot more compliants about it not taking the camera and movement then the textures. Also wanting it to look at least as good as sword and shield doesn't mean sword and shield look good. They are missing low expectations, not being held to a high standard. It doesn't help they put it next to new snap and legends too.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a deliberate aesthetic, look at the trees. But even then, I had no idea this game even existed, there are thousands of games on switch. As cuz said above, worst looking mainstream game I've seen or at least nintendo published.
So then you're saying your original statement wasn't accurate at all then.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Also want to add: Pokémon games have always been piss easy and 'they' don't like to admit that.
People really think grinding and getting lost constitute difficulty.
Re
There are like 10 threads where people explain your misconception over and over.
In case you have miraculously dodged them all here it goes:
Exp share off ISNT about grinding.
It's about being underleveled, the AI being more menacing and you having to play better to win.
Stop assuming everyone levels their mons until each enemy is OHKOed. That's not the point.
Having to post this over and over is tiring.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just wanted a fully 3D realized sinnoh and some decent challenge. I know arceus is a thing but I really wanted diamond and pearl to be treated good.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017

That honestly just speaks volumes about the awful trajectory of these games. I still think Let's Go looks unappealing. Hell, I think Pkm games haven't exactly been lookers since the GBA titles. Not compared to their contemporaries.

That doesn't change a lick about this new game looking that much worse than Let's Go.

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Big disagree. It's definitely the execution. The chibi stuff is fine. People are even using ORAS as examples of decent chibi stuff. The issue is that the execution is shitty.

Most of the posts I've seen complaining about it seems more directed at the art style. Like how the chibi characters are modeled, the colors, textures, etc.

I think everything except the chibi models look fine, the only thing I'd change aside from that is maybe the color of the tree leaves.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What an inane, rambling mess of an OP. Personally I find the people who whine about the whiners to be a hundred times more annoying, particularly because they tend to love creating strawmen to look down upon.

Like, even if your strawman was correct and you had examples of people who weren't happy with gen 8 for one reason but also aren't happy with the gen 4 remakes for a different reason, who gives a shit? Are they not allowed to?

Obviously you get the assholes who take it too far but those are the people you should specifically call out, not just a vague and meaningless "you people".

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
People were disappointed by how Let's Go/SwSh looked, but then adjusted expectations that DPPt remakes would look at least like that, only to then be even more disappointed when they look even worse. I don't see the inconsistency. Personally I'm a little sad my favorite region is getting treated like this, but at the end of the day Platinum is still there to revisit every now and then.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What an inane, rambling mess of an OP. Personally I find the people who whine about the whiners to be a hundred times more annoying, particularly because they tend to love creating strawmen to look down upon.

Like, even if your strawman was correct and you had examples of people who weren't happy with gen 8 for one reason but also aren't happy with the gen 4 remakes for a different reason, who gives a shit? Are they not allowed to?

Obviously you get the assholes who take it too far but those are the people you should specifically call out, not just a vague and meaningless "you people".
straight uppppp

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
You're lumping millions of fans into one single entity, just like the OP.

This thread is dumb.

Also, maybe fans would be more pleased if Pokémon games hadn't been half-assed for the past several years.

"bUt tHeY jUsT hAtE gF"

So dismissive. People have opinions on products they purchase. Sw/Sh looks like a midrange PS3 game, and it can't even hold a steady 30fps. The new remakes make Link's Awakening (Switch) look like the Mona Lisa, even with its framerate stutters every time you switch areas. The PLA trailer featured slideshow framerates on certain Pokémon.

Imagine if a Mario game was released with this level of quality, or lack thereof.

TPC/GF/whoever is to blame phoned it in several generations ago.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Re

Having to post this over and over is tiring.

It's just pathetic to the extreme anyway, how "oh yeah, the 20-year-old games weren't hard either!" are common arguments because... well, the said alternative is asking "wait a moment, why aren't we asking instead why AI and difficulty design haven't drastically improved in 2 decades? How did that happen?"

Nah, just talk about how the old games weren't great either. Really speaks in favor of the franchise 👏

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

You summed it up better than I could. Wierd fucking thread.

OP
OP
ChristianH94

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
It's not that as much as it's I'm fucking tired of seeing disingenuous nerds online act as if the next-gen of pokemon is going to be worse than nuclear war which is something I'm going to say right now all of us are tired of and they're doing it for attention and there's a block button for a reason. if they legit dislike gen 8 and legit dislike gen 4 that's fine, because it's a childrens video game... One that if people don't need to fucking see grown ass men in youtube videos cry over in their suggestions or when the pokemon company goes on twitter and announces some humanitarian assistance and in the replies you just get GEN 8 SUCKS UUUDDRRDJDFJFFAJK then I think it's time to just realize they're not passionate fans they are just trolls.

I don't see how there's much of a strawman especially since I'm not making any argument other than "fuck these guys". if you hate the diamond and pearl remakes, cool. I think they look like shit as well.

Nov 7, 2020
User Banned (1 Day) Mod-whining
Watch that trailer and tell me it looks like a AAA $60 product in 2021.
Thank you. It ENRAGES me. I actually got banned from here because I used the word "lazy", which I didnt even know I could be banned for. But Im just so bitter, they remake the games and then take shit out, or they just make it look so bad. Like just do one thing right, please.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that as much as it's I'm fucking tired of seeing disingenuous nerds online act as if the next-gen of pokemon is going to be worse than nuclear war which is something I'm going to say right now all of us are tired of and they're doing it for attention and there's a block button for a reason. if they legit dislike gen 8 and legit dislike gen 4 that's fine, because it's a childrens video game... One that if people don't need to fucking see grown ass men in youtube videos cry over in their suggestions or when the pokemon company goes on twitter and announces some humanitarian assistance and in the replies you just get GEN 8 SUCKS UUUDDRRDJDFJFFAJK then I think it's time to just realize they're not passionate fans they are just trolls.

I don't see how there's much of a strawman especially since I'm not making any argument other than "fuck these guys". if you hate the diamond and pearl remakes, cool. I think they look like shit as well.

Ah well then. You make some compelling, coherent arguments. Thankfully you are so level-headed, unlike those disingenuous grown-ass men nerds playing video gamesfor children yadayada.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017

Well yeah...fuck those guys. Who (other than those guys) is going to disagree with that?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

You're making a much bigger deal out of this than anybody criticizing the remakes.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I dislike this thread.

I am sick of in the video game space that there is a need to attack criticism of video games. What is the purpose of this thread? What does it contribute? There is nothing gained by grouping criticism together in a attempt to form some kind of self righteous mockery. Pokemon is such a big and important franchise with fans across so many age groups that of course what each person wants is going to vary.

I don't agree with all the complaints about Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, but they are almost all valid. The art style clearly didn't resonate with a significant portion of the fan base and it betrayed their expectations set by previous remakes in the series. I personally don't mind the approach taken by the remakes but, there is nothing wrong with expressing this sentiment.

People don't shut down negative opinion or criticism.

This entire thread's purpose is to shut down dissenting opinions.

A decade ago, now gen 5 fanatics are the new genwunners

I've always hated the term genwunners. It just groups up people in a negative light to antagonize them easily, which adds nothing interesting to discussion. I personally haven't enjoyed a pokemon game as much as Gen 5. Why? Because no game has done what I want in introducing a completely new pokedex since. My joy in pokemon is found in the discovery, so I'm not interested in catching pokemon I have before. I also don't think the games have reached the beauty of Black and White since adopting 3D graphics. Nor has any game had a story as sincere as B&W. Now, should I be grouped up into some homogeneous group, antagonized and brushed off because I hold these opinions? Am I a fanatic?

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No fanbase is homogeneous and gamers act like pricks on the internet.
More at eleven

P.S.: There are many valid reasons to dislike it and even dislike what happened to the main series in the last few years.
Doesn't men it's whning or whatever

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1. people who didn't like LG/SS don't like these remakes because it looks even worse.

2. Pokemon is hugely popular, so you're gonna have an insane amount of variance in terms of opinion. Equal amounts that like this remake, that hate this remake, and everything inbetween. Saying "fans" got what they wanted is inheriently incorrect, because different fans like different things.

3. GF has a habbit of consistently underdelivering, this snowball has been rolling since gen6.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people hating SWSH because of how they look and then asking why DP remakes don´t look like SWSH lol. You can´t make that stuff up.

In all fairness, most of the criticism of SwSh graphics was focused around how bad the Wild Area looks in places, and maybe some of the Pokémon animations.

Generally speaking no one complaine about the overall art direction. The Pokémon designs, cities, towns and characters are well-loved. The Wild Area just looked poor.

In contrast the criticism with BDSP is that the art direction is extremely poor and it doesn't look good on a technical level. So while I see what you mean, the complaints surrounding SwSh were not 1:1 with the complaints surrounding BDSP.

OP
OP
ChristianH94

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Well yeah...fuck those guys. Who (other than those guys) is going to disagree with that?
I dunno, the fact people are turning that into suddenly people accusing me of supporting the graphics kind of makes me wonder if I've struck a nerve with some folks or claim that I'm about shutting down negative dissenting opinions i think shows that maybe people disagree with it a lot more than you'd think

Nov 18, 2017
I hate Gen 8, I think Game Freak are hacks & always have been.

Im foolishly hyped for Legends even though I swore off Pokemon after Sword, a cyndaquil starter will do that.
I legit really love the aesthetic of BD&SP, never played Gen 4 and dig the similar aesthetic in Links Awakening.

I dont agree that people have ever wanted a 1:1 remake, Pokemon has never set that standard with the remakes to expect just a 1:1 remake, i can kind of see why people would be upset by that even if im personally not. Had i actually played Gen 4 growing up I might of been upset by it too.

I also really dont like the defence force surrounding pokemon. These companies arent your friends, its okay for people to criticize them and state their preferences and dislikes politely, obviously the next bit is subjective but ive seen way more posts attacking the criticism of GF & Pokemon than I have any actual criticism. I havent really read anything on here about pokemon but on twitter ive seen tons of people mad at people for being disappointed with the pokemon news.

Nov 7, 2020
Its not that I care THAT much about pokemon. But I just am so pissed off about all the shit they do wrong constantly. I was so pissed when SW/SH came out I wrote a whole reddit thread that was picked up by IGN lol.

Its just frustrating because theyre such a rich franchise, they could make some of the greatest games on planet earth if they just organized and did things correctly. THATS the frustration. They arent some indie dev.