• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey racists

ADmeBce.png

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was all for it before someone pointed out on the front page that the original is based in the Caribbean oceans with Caribbean musical influences, and now I'm super all for it.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
One day the mere sight of my skin color on the big screen will not send people into a angry frenzy.

One day...

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
By the way this has also gained traction on Facebook in Italy as well, not sure why China is being singled out here, I would expect it to be something that's happening pretty much everywhere, since The Little Mermaid is, you know, pretty famous.

Dre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also unhappy about the casting.
I wanted Zendaya to reprise the role. :-/

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one can speak on everyone's opinion in a country but I am from Australia and would like to see Ariel continue to have white skin and red hair as she does in the original Disney animation (and continued by those who end up representing her at places like Disneyland, etc).

They didn't make Will Smith as the genie and change his colour to purple or yellow, or whatever. They kept him blue as shown in the animation

......excuse me?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I've been banned for comments towards China here in the recent past, so I will just say—I stand with Disney and hope they don't pander to that market.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be cool to get a mixed race couple, actually.

Don't worry, Disney has that covered with the whitewashing of John Smith and Pocahontas.

No one can speak on everyone's opinion in a country but I am from Australia and would like to see Ariel continue to have white skin and red hair as she does in the original Disney animation (and continued by those who end up representing her at places like Disneyland, etc).

I don't quite understand why her ethnicity matters here. Like are you watching one of the newer Spider-Man movies and getting upset that Zendaya is MJ and she's mixed?

They didn't make Will Smith as the genie and change his colour to purple or yellow, or whatever. They kept him blue as shown in the animation.

Interesting as there are many who don't really like Will Smith looking like he's from an Eiffel 65 video.

Wow. You think only white Disney princesses exist? What about those like Tiana (from The Princess and the Frog), Pocahontas, Jasmine (from Aladdin) and Moana?

The fact you can name all of them off the top of your head should say something right?

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My point is clearly about Disney films which are all American films regardless of the origin of the source material hence the American accented English, American pop songs, and expousing of American values.

[...]

What I'm baffled about is how you see a difference between Tiana and Moana and using the original Frog Prince as "proof" instead of Disney's African American Princess Tiana, which the post specifically said turning Ariel Black would be like turning Tiana or Moana White. It's like your failing to see how the setting of New Orleans, it's history and culture, African Americans and Jazz are as instrumental to The Princess and the Frog as Pacific Islander and Polynesian history and culture is to Moana.

I think our miscommunication lies in the fact that I'm following on from (and trying to expand on) what you are saying to make a broader point about stories and cultural identity.

I'm trying to talk about the absolutely essential parts of each story - the parts that make them uniquely that story - and what can be changed without losing that.

Disney is a perfect framework to explore this given their history of taking old stories from other cultures and modernising/altering them for mass audiences.

So, can the story of The Princess and The Frog be transposed into other cultures while losing none of the essential themes and key narrative milestones that make it unique?

Me, I would say yes, Fairy/Folk Tales are by and large very easily slotted into other settings and cultures. That's why I brought up the original tale, it shows that the story has been transposed, and very successfully, I might add. I think The Little Mermaid fits here.

On the other hand, could Moana, given its narrative and themes lean so heavily on Polynesian culture? I would say no.

Moana is, for all intents and purposes, a culture hero and her story bears the hallmarks of a creation myth: she brings back wayfaring to the people and restores balance with nature. It would be markedly more difficult to transpose this story convincingly to another culture, so changing Moana's race would have an effect on the essential elements of the story, unlike changing the cultures and identities of The Little Mermaid and The Princess and the Frog.

Do you see where I'm coming from here...?

What do the Brothers Grimm have to do with the original Little Mermaid story?

It was written by Hans Christian Andersen.

I suspect you don't know what you are talking about.

I suspect you missed the fact we were talking about The Princess and The Frog at that point.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I honestly think Europe is more racist. I work at a steel factory and it almost got to a point where i was openly ridiculed by some (older men) for opposing their racist views.

At least the US tries to be PC, and racists are more subtle in trying to hide it.

Its crazy out here.

I think it's a generational thing rather than just a geographical thing. Which hopefully means that we are making at least a little progress. Older generations grew up in a society where racism was normal and accepted.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I think she looks and is perfect for the role, I can't imagine anyone else in the role now.

Speaking of being obsessed with wanting lighter skin, it reminds me of a documentary I watched about people in I think it was south Africa using skin bleaching products to lighten their skin, crazy stuff that people would do that and yet I get why they do as they think people will accept them more if they have lighter skin which is so sad that they have to do that.

Sorry to go off topic it just made me think of it when someone mentioned them being so into lighter skin in China.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck racists. Hearing people gripe about it not "staying true to the original" cracks me up given how little the movie is related to the HCA story outside of having a mermaid that envied humans.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
A movie with a ton of Calypso music and people mad they cast a black person lol

Love our culture, hate our people

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
I think she looks and is perfect for the role, I can't imagine anyone else in the role now.

Speaking of being obsessed with wanting lighter skin, it reminds me of a documentary I watched about people in I think it was south Africa using skin bleaching products to lighten their skin, crazy stuff that people would do that and yet I get why they do as they think people will accept them more if they have lighter skin which is so sad that they have to do that.

Sorry to go off topic it just made me think of it when someone mentioned them being so into lighter skin in China.

Not that its necessarily related but China is heavily invested in Africa. Its not uncommon at all to see Chinese people over there.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
Nice race-baiting thread, cherry pick some random conments on chinese social media and make it about "those chinese"

As bad as "woke" corporations.
Yea, on the one hand it's not like there aren't a Chinese people that are racist towards black people but cherry picking some takes on social media and trying to conflate it as all Chinese filmgoers is suspicious.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, on the one hand it's not like there aren't a Chinese people that are racist towards black people but cherry picking some takes on social media and trying to conflate it as all Chinese filmgoers is suspicious.
People did that to Black Panther and China and that movie made bank in China

Like no doubt there's a lot of racists on the internet and China

But it doesn't seem to really bother the general audience who even if their not like 100% color blind or something don't seem to care enough

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I thought gingers were going to be the most upset with this casting.

She should be judged on her acting ability.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This issue Is super funny. The rage is not /completely/ injustified. Racist reasons aside, some people just wanted to see the little mermaid. "The". Not "A". And that's ok.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
Dunking on China has its place, but how do we know the racism about this movie is more prevelant there than in other countries?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
This from the country that removed Finn from the poster of Episode VIII.

exactly

have none of y'all interacted with mainland asians before? I'm korean, not chinese, but I'll be 100% with y'all. a LOT of people in my parent's generation and older, whether japanese/chinese/korean, are racist against and uncomfortable with black people. they're incredibly ignorant on the issue, probable stemming heavily from a lack of interaction

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
They'll just have to get used to it. Hope Disney sticks to this cast no matter what people say.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
I have seen a lot of whining in social networks here in Mexico too, basically everyone wants someone that looks exactly like the cartoon.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory Generalizations
*Thinks back to the Force Awakens post in China*

I'm shocked.

(Fuck China)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I never saw OG Ariel as white.

Nice race-baiting thread, cherry pick some random conments on chinese social media and make it about "those chinese"

As bad as "woke" corporations.
When discussing internet opinions you are necessarily cheering picking because not everyone has the same opinion.

It's fair to ask how widespread the sentiment is and I doubt you have that answer

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The articles cast this as a widespread view in China, but cite 3 people's comments in each. A similar article could be written about people in any country. I'm not saying that the articles are wrong, but if they're trying to portray this as a widespread belief in a country of 1.5 billion people it would be good to have more than just 3 message board posts as evidence.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
some of the comments in this thread, smdh. i agree with others that suggest this thread in itself is basic race-baiting bs.