• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you still buy a car with the promise of features coming later?

• Yep

Votes: 59 17.6%
  • Nope

Votes: 276 82.4%

• Total voters

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
www.engadget.com

Some BMWs are shipping without Android Auto or CarPlay to avoid delays

BMW is shipping select vehicles without support for Android Auto or CarPlay to avoid shipping delays. Affected cars will receive a software update by the end of June.

Due to the ongoing chip shortage, BMW is temporarily shipping some vehicles without support for Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, according to report from Automotive News Europe (which we found through 9to5 Google). According to a statement the company gave to Automotive News Europe, BMW has changed suppliers and begun using a chip that does not fully support Android Auto or CarPlay. As a result, the company continued in its statement, affected vehicles will receive an over-the-air software update by "the end of June at the latest."

As 9to5Google notes, you can check if your recently purchased vehicle is affected by checking for "6P1" in the car's production code. It also seems that all of the vehicles in question were manufactured in the first four months of 2022, and have final destinations in the US, France, Italy, Spain and the UK.

Came up in a different thread, but seemed relevant to share in general. Have you faced any of these shortage related feature drops in the past year or two? Are you okay with buying a car that is missing a feature today but should be added later?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
One of the cars I'm looking at has removed a bunch of options from all but the very highest option pack.

Is a bit of a mess out there, definitely need to pay attention when ordering.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My father in law got a new Lexus in the last few years and I was shocked it didn't have CarPlay in it. My CRV is from 2017 and it has CarPlay!

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Gods I'm glad I got our car when we did.

Can't imagine getting a high end car and it missing features like that. It isn't their fault, obviously, but it's gotta hurt spending 40k+ on a luxury car for that.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I would consider accepting delivery only if they gave me a steep discount that I could use to add an even better aftermarket system

OP
OP
MamaSpaghetti

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
I voted yes on my own poll but it really depends on what the features are. Rear AC control? Sure, I don't sit back there and rarely does anyone. Carplay/Android auto? Nah, unless the built in dash is good that I don't need them.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hot take, these cars are better without this added stuff.

Some cars like Civics definitely need it because they don't have a GPS solution at all. Using a Magsafe vent mount for everything just isn't the same. One of those wireless carplay adapters for the USB port makes driving life a lot better too.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
As an F82 owner, I am super glad I got my car before COVID hit.

I know people who got a 3 series and even an X7 without a touchscreen and will *not* have it put back in which is nuts. At least CarPlay and Android Auto will be updated in at a later date!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, no problem with this.

People need vehicles and the supply chain is a big problem for manufacturers. Imagine you're coming off a lease and need something new in a timely fashion. If you are a new vehicle buyer then it is what it is. Buying a car with something that can be fixed later is no big deal, certainly better than nothing. That's the alternative.

I was buying a BMW M340i and the only thing mine was missing was passenger lumbar and width adjustment. It varies by car.

Oct 29, 2017
Tesla took out USB ports in the back seats on some cars last year. They were going to be installed afterwards. I would've rejected delivery if my car was like that.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Considering how lame my Camry's 2013 in-vehicle "entertainment" system is, no I would not buy a new car that has a loose promise of "someday you can have a nice user experience for your touch screen"

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I would agree, depending on how much I want the car and what the features are.

Some cars like Civics definitely need it because they don't have a GPS solution at all. Using a Magsafe vent mount for everything just isn't the same. One of those wireless carplay adapters for the USB port makes driving life a lot better too.

I would still be fine with not having it. But I'm sure I'm in the minority of people that don't use navigation.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah no. At the price of cars these days. They would have to give me a good discount and guarentee that I'll get Android Auto at a later date at zero extra cost to even consider this. Especially because when I'm buying a car, I'm looking for these specific features to begin with. And if I knew I wasn't going to get them, I wouldn't have bought the car to begin with.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Cars are already too expensive;

as a US resident, dealership complications are a hassle when it comes to buying brand new cars;

and the dealership scenario has only gotten exasperated and worse under manufacturing delays.

I wouldn't accept missing features on a brand new car. Buying a car in the US is not a simple, daily procedure where you just handwave shit like that, IMO, especially not since the reality is that you're likely gonna end up paying above MSRP right now anyway.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i just use bluetooth in my car and thats been more than enough. what's carplay got going for it?

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
They did something similar with Mercedes, ditching the AR stuff. Was kinda bummed at first, but it's such a small thing that I didn't really miss it.

Also, if this can be retrofitted, it's not that big of a deal.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a lease BMW on order that's already been delayed by 6 months and counting, I'll happily take it with AA missing just to get the thing at this point

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
this is all I need:
GUEST_4e077ef6-73b7-472e-a852-a2b94f5cfa6c

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Auto manufacturers: That'll be $9000 for the cassett player.

My father in law got a new Lexus in the last few years and I was shocked it didn't have CarPlay in it. My CRV is from 2017 and it has CarPlay!

Whats even stupider is when a car supports one of Android Auto or CarPlay, but not both of them. Like, FFS. You literally have all the equipment you need to support both. Just get off your asses and write the support drivers/software implementation for it already.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been any indication when this is supposed to get better? Wife and I are looking at a second car but it sounds like waiting might be the better idea.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This sucks, but honestly I can just slap any cheapo Android phone on the dashboard and do most of the Android Auto stuff there like GMaps and Spotify.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
This is the kind of stuff that I don't even really care about in my car. There are a fair amount of things right now that would/have stopped me from buying a new car, this would not be on that list.

OP
OP
MamaSpaghetti

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
Has there been any indication when this is supposed to get better? Wife and I are looking at a second car but it sounds like waiting might be the better idea.
It seems so random. I took delivery of a new Model 3 this weekend, everyone talked about how it would be missing USB ports, missing new headlights, etc because of shortages. But I had... everything...

So the answer is really 🤷‍♂️

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would be fucking infuriated.

I need Android Auto for the Google Maps integration, as well as listening to music and text messages while I'm on the road.

It's not a nice feature at this point... It's integral to my job.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
It seems so random. I took delivery of a new Model 3 this weekend, everyone talked about how it would be missing USB ports, missing new headlights, etc because of shortages. But I had... everything...

So the answer is really 🤷‍♂️
Most of the usb ports are power only, only one usb port is data and power.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carplay and android auto are one of those things that once you use you'll never buy another car without. This is a pretty big omission. That said, Yeah I'd probably accept it if it was the car I really wanted. If it's just one of many I was consider it's probably a deal breaker. Same reason I didn't buy a Rivian when I had the chance.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Carplay and android auto are one of those things that once you use you'll never buy another car without. This is a pretty big omission. That said, Yeah I'd probably accept it if it was the car I really wanted. If it's just one of many I was consider it's probably a deal breaker. Same reason I didn't buy a Rivian when I had the chance.
Exactly. There's no going back.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Never, ever buy technology based on the promise of future updates (was it MKBHD that first said this?). Particularly when that piece of technology costs tens of thousands of dollars already.

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Probably no unless the price is reduced to reflect the missing feature(s).

They have absolutely been reducing the price for features that won't be enabled at a later date. My understanding is that these features will be enabled when possible.

Without a feature I'd be paying for? Fuck no. Android Auto or bust.

This is fucking shitty from BMW.

How is it shitty? They are up front about it. If they can't get parts then they can't get parts. So they offer the knowledge that these things will require an update later, and you can buy or choose to not buy. It's not like they are deceiving anyone or doing anything other than try to survive unprecedented circumstances.

The biggest thing is that brands like Mercedes and BMW lease more vehicles than they sell. They have a constant stream of people coming off leases, so they need a steady stream of new vehicles to satisfy these people if nothing else.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a car with the promise of a future feature, sure. I bought my current car in ~2017/2018 when Mazda was promising a CarPlay / AndroidAuto software update later on. I eventually installed my own after a year of delays, but then when the official apk or whatever came out, I installed it again to get to the official one... or, well... a hack of the official one.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I would buy a car with the promise of a future feature, sure. I bought my current car in ~2017/2018 when Mazda was promising a CarPlay / AndroidAuto software update later on. I eventually installed my own after a year of delays, but then when the official apk or whatever came out, I installed it again to get to the official one... or, well... a hack of the official one.

Nah, Android Auto and CarPlay are huge value adds for the cars, and way way way way safer for everybody else around you because they basically disable your phone when they're hooked up / connected. Car navigation/infotainment systems are usually ~2-3 years old when they ship to begin with, and they only get older over the life of the car. For the most part Android Auto and Apple CarPlay only get better, more useful, more integrated, etc.

The GPS & entertainment controls are worth it alone.

I still think it's hilarious that my 2017 Mazda shipped with these "apps" of companies that had long gone out of business 2+ years before, and others that might still technically exist but *nobody* used them ... shit like AHA Radio and these other weird ass internet podcast/radio stations that stopped existing years ago, or have so few subscribers they're completely useless. And now they're permanently installed as top options on the infotainment system in the car because of some contract signed in 2014.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I might trust other manufacturers a little with implementing the feature, as long as I got it in writing.
BMW? With the crap they've pulled in the past trying to turn standard features like Carplay into a subscription service?
Hell to the NO.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no, I use android auto every single day. Never do i want to by a mount and have my phone hanging on it again.