• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is Stan Greensburg reasoning. The black voter has always been the pragametic voter. After 4 years of trump and what they did to Hillary you too would see the only sure win is another white man

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Generalizations Surrounding Race Over Multiple Posts in this Thread
Unfortunately black voters have a history of voting against their own interests, mostly due to misinformation or lack of information. I still think Biden is polling well based on his name recognition and connection to Obama, but once he actually starts visiting black neighborhoods I can see his popularity plummeting as people discover his lack of ideas beneficial to their lives. Other Dem candidates really need to start hammering his "nothing will fundamentally change" gaffe, even if it was taken out of context.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody and their mama, auntie, and grandma will show up to vote for Kamala in the general election.

The key is securing the nomination and Kamala has a lot of grassroots work to do in the south

Unfortunately black voters have a history of voting against their own interests, mostly due to misinformation or lack of information. I still think Biden is polling well based on his name recognition and connection to Obama, but once he actually starts visiting black neighborhoods I can see his popularity plummeting as people discover his lack of ideas beneficial to their lives. Other Dem candidates really need to start hammering his "nothing will fundamentally change" gaffe, even if it was taken out of context.

???

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people feel he could win now and would have won in 2016. They just want whoever can beat Trump

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That is Stan Greensburg reasoning. The black voter has always been the pragametic voter. After 4 years of trump and what they did to Hillary you too would see the only sure win is another white man

I've always seen the black woman vote as the most pragmatic, and it always shows where the Democratic party is heading. If I'm not mistaken, proportionally they also vote more than any other demographic. Last I checked they favored Warren, but that was months ago.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Said this weeks ago. Expecting the debates to severely move the needle is silly IMO after watching 2016.

Trump got annihilated and was literally on camera frustratingly tearing pages of paper out of his binder after getting wrecked and still....

People watch debates seemingly to see if their (already made) choice looks good or lands a few slam dunks. Doesn't seem like many people watch them with an open mind looking to be convinced. Biden led heavily with Black voters before this debate, I expect that to not change at ALL. So... yeah. But whatever, lets bring on the "Don't agree with my candidate? Then you must be a low information/ignorant voter voting against their own interest" stuff like always. That allllllways helps.

Last edited:

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I've always seen the black woman vote as the most pragmatic, and it always shows where the Democratic party is heading. If I'm not mistaken, proportionally they also vote more than any other demographic. Last I checked they favored Warren, but that was months ago.

Black women are the reason Doug Jones won in Alabama, so they usually have a hugely positive impact.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Just give them time. Obama was down by something like 30 points to Hillary Clinton in October of 2007, and it took him just a few months to reverse it.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

That was quick

"It's Negroes' fault"

Always the excuse to fall back on.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
The logic seems to be "good enough for Obama, good enough for me". I prefer Warren but I'll take any D, really.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, lets make this thread a lets insult black voters thread. Even though they are literally the most reliable democrat voter with nearly 96% voting for Obama and 92% voting for hillary.

Low information voter. What a load of crap. This is the same shit people spewed during the last primary when they couldnt fathom why black voters wanted Hillary over Bernie and liked Bill. If you guys want to insult voters, go after 62% of white voters, 35% of hispanic voters and almost 30% of asian voters who voted for trump or against hillary.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yes, lets make this thread a lets insult black voters thread. Even though they are literally the most reliable democrat voter with nearly 96% voting for Obama and 92% voting for hillary.

Low information voter. What a load of crap. This is the same shit people spewed during the last primary when they couldnt fathom why black voters wanted Hillary over Bernie and liked Bill. If you guys want to insult voters, go after 62% of white voters, 35% of hispanic voters and almost 30% of asian voters who voted for trump or against hillary.

Yep.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Black voters are the only ones that told Trump to go fuck himself. Everyone else fucked up.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
People don't get it. Black people are not allowed to dream or go for the long shot. Our survival in this country is always on a knife edge and sadly that often means going with the candidate that will ignore us and not regress. Often people will dog whistle talking about black people picking those that are "status quo". White people's status quo is often black people's moment of peace.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
This really isn't that shocking. People loved Joe as Vice President for 8 years. Finding out that he may not have been perfect decades ago won't suddenly change that opinion of what they saw him as. You could say the same for Bill Clinton. Revisionist history doesn't work in real life like it does on the internet.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Good job trying to turn what I said into something it's not, but "low information" doesn't mean stupid. It usually means someone who has less access to information.

Why in your mind do black voters have "less access to information" and where is your evidence that this is the case for their voting decisions?

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The logic seems to be "good enough for Obama, good enough for me". I prefer Warren but I'll take any D, really.

tenor.gif

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This really isn't that shocking. People loved Joe as Vice President for 8 years. Finding out that he may not have been perfect decades ago won't suddenly change that opinion of what they saw him as.

yea a smiliar thing happened with ralph nordstrom in virginia IIRC, the majority of black voters didn't want him to resign

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Voting information comes from a LOT more places than Twitter, my guy. The internet in particular has been notoriously UNRELIABLE as a source of information in recent years. So Try again.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That report says AA are super reprenseted on twitter. The platform that that overflows with right wing propgada, hate groups, russian bot farms, etc. Yet they still vote almost totally blue? Kinda of disproves your point. If AA are "low information" and vote against their own best interesting why hasn't the GOP seen growth among them?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way you shatter his support among these types is to shatter the pragmatic "electability" argument.

If Biden continues to look really, really old on-stage, that will happen.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
And just so we're clear- I posted this in a different thread, but it's useful here. As a percentage of primary voters, Black Voters punch far above their weight:

5gADdjs.png

Black americans are 12% of the population, but 24% of all democratic primary voters. Hispanics are the next closest minority, also around 12% of the population but making up 9% of democratic primary voters. White voters are around 55% of Dem primary voters, and nearly 90% of all republican primary voters.

Black voters are overrepresented in primary elections compared to how many of them there actually ARE in the population, and virtually none of them end up voting for the GOP platform- which would be the definition of "Against their own interests."

So...who's low information here?

Oct 31, 2017
Harris looked REALLY good up there, but I talked to some of my black friends after the debate: many white progressives don't realize that many cities with black leadership voted to terminate busing.

I haven't looked into this much; it just came from me asking them what they thought. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true; you had civil rights leader John Lewis coming to defense of Biden after the segregationist comments.

But I guess we'll see once we get more numbers.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
'Did you read the study?

Black households trail about 7% in house broadband, but its virtually equal access among smartphones for white and black.

Ages 18- 29 is essentially 92% access. Also higher twitter usage.

You "low information" claim seems fabricated or incorrectly extrapolated. And I wouldn't even say your first statement was wrong, but you framed it through the wrong lens.

Black people don't vote against their interest due to low information, its because nobody has our damn interest as a focus in the first place. Empty talk means nothing when you take office and do nothing. White People love preaching about how focusing on black issues alienates the white voters needed to win an election.

So by default, this country never had our interest at heart, Explain how we suppose to "vote our interest" in a system not built for us.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Just give them time. Obama was down by something like 30 points to Hillary Clinton in October of 2007, and it took him just a few months to reverse it.
It took winning Iowa to reverse it. If Biden loses Iowa the race will become a tossup very quickly. That'll be the greenlight to voters in SC, NV, and the Super Tuesday states to move to someone else if their support of Biden is staked on electability. Of course if he wins Iowa, he'll likely glide to the nomination.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
If Biden keeps looking mad old, that safety will be gone.

"Don't you think she looks tired."

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My issue other than Harris snatching his soul on stage is the clear and simple fact he looked frail and old as hell. This isn't ageism, this is just the harsh realities of aging.

She needs to keep putting the work and clearly explain her prosecutorial background in California and I think she'll have a shot. This black voter certainly will give her one. She is ultimately appearing to get a solid bump from her performance. It's still early yet. I think she more than proved she can go toe to toe with Trump head on in a debate setting. I'd love to see Trump try to come after an older black woman face to face and come out alive.

I still don't even curse in front of my mom because she'd end me on the spot.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
It took winning Iowa to reverse it. If Biden loses Iowa the race will become a tossup very quickly. That'll be the greenlight to voters in SC, NV, and the Super Tuesday states to move to someone else if their support of Biden is staked on electability. Of course if he wins Iowa, he'll likely glide to the nomination.
Thank god Cali is on super Tuesday, we can get all this bullshit over quickly

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
People don't get it. Black people are not allowed to dream or go for the long shot. Our survival in this country is always on a knife edge and sadly that often means going with the candidate that will ignore us and not regress. Often people will dog whistle talking about black people picking those that are "status quo". White people's status quo is often black people's moment of peace.
No lies detected.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Harris looked REALLY good up there, but I talked to some of my black friends after the debate: many white progressives don't realize that many cities with black leadership voted to terminate busing.

I haven't looked into this much; it just came from me asking them what they thought. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true; you had civil rights leader John Lewis coming to defense of Biden after the segregationist comments.

But I guess we'll see once we get more numbers.

White people were against busing for very very different reasons than black people being against busing.

But overall, most black people did in fact supporting busing. You should research not only the history surrounding busing but also comprehensive polling data.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering when the "black people are planning to vote against their own interests" takes would start popping up this time around.

I was not expecting the answer to be 16 months before the election.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Exactly what I was thinking.

Right. it's lunacy to look at the one demographic that overwhelmingly supported Gore over Bush, Kerry over Bush, Clinton over Trump, and just BARELY kept a pedophile lunatic out of the alabama senate by turning out in astronomical numbers and say "those people are the ones voting against their own interests."

edit: looks like that jackass is banned, so my work here is done.