• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay. It's funny because that EXACT phrasing is used as a running joke in Kung Fu Hustle
It's because the movie makes fun of the stereotype. Even if your own parents didn't pull that shit, it was common enough to be a very recognizable joke.

i've never seen that movie, but I'll have to change that!
It's a great movie. It's this really weird mix of cool and silly that somehow works.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I was noticing how promininent he was behind the pres
Yes, totally agree! Asian parents need to see and accept that there are many careers where their kids can be successful

Oh yeah we totally made it.

Not to his cabinet, but hey we're allowed to literally take a bullet for him now.

(I'm kidding, this is mostly a joke, I'm not bitter, and good for him. I just think it's kinda funny we're going to have the chance to now do physically what we've been treated as socially for awhile now.)

edit: It is cool for an Asian dude to be seen as a bodyguard in that a lot of portrayals of Asians, especially Asian American men, are emasculated comedians or nerds or whatever, while being the head of the President's security detail is a very "cool" position that's thought of as generally being badass. I don't think the common perception of a man in that role is anything but some manly man, so that honestly is great. I'm not actually seriously shitting on this, it was good natured sarcasm.

Last edited:

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

Not to his cabinet, but hey we're allowed to literally take a bullet for him now.

(I'm kidding, this is mostly a joke, I'm not bitter, and good for him. I just think it's kinda funny we're going to have the chance to now do physically what we've been treated as socially for awhile now.)
Damn.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I bet you they hired him cause he knows martial arts. /s

Like these people know the difference. That or they'll claim we're being controlled by North Korea.

It's definitely the former, in that they see an Asian guy and think CHINAAA.

That's why I keep saying that sinophobia results in anti-Asian racism in the US. Because, no one is trying to tell us apart.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that people think it's unusual to see Asians in bodyguard positions. That's news to me honestly.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
As someone who is part-Korean, I was often distracted by wanting to know who he was, too. Finally stumbled upon it with this thread!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
It feels so good to see progress in diversity! And with the shitty stereotypes against Asian people and, particularly in this case, Asian men, secret service is a very meaningful position. Good luck, Mr Cho and congratulations!

On a side note, what does MD in the OP stand for?

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be honest at first I thought it was Ronny Chieng from the daily show about to break into one of his segments.