• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just feeling nostalgic and reading the wiki, there's so much that pops out that I wish we could get in today's online shooters. Forget the gameplay, I'm just speaking strictly feautures. This is a game that came out in 2003 on consoles and had:

-22 maps at launch.. 22 maps!!!! These are very well designed maps that are filled with strategic points that force you to play the game in a thoughtful way. But seriously... 22!!!!
- Mode specific maps- this took map design to the next level by preventing generic maps and instead having focused ones that were designed for specific game modes.
-huge array of guns from the start including ones unique to terorists vs seals.
-fully customizable online lobby system with chat rooms, creating incredible hubs to find new players to play with especially making clan wars incredibly easy to set up.
-in depth ranking system
- Clan system that let you create a clan, create a tag and invite and remove people from your clan. You had an actual clan roster!
-Friends List: I know this sounds unimpressive but think about how thoughtful that was when you didn't want to let someone in your clan but you did enjoy playing with them.
-they did all of this... AND still had a full and terrific single player campaign.

It's pretty incredible to think that these features were on a PS2 era online game, remember that's when we had to buy and attach an internet port to the back of the console just to play online! It's really crazy to think of what they accomplished with this game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It was great! And Ghost Recon Wildlands PvP mode is the new Socom!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck...what an incredible game. I still have that pack-in mic from the first game somewhere, not too mention the PS2 network adapter.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The best tactical shooter series there has ever been....... and yes, that includes Socom 4.

In all honesty I half expected Sony to revive the series into a Battle Royale game...even that is better than nothing.

Doing an all-nighter playing Crossroads was the height of gaming.

It's also a shame that the spiritual successor "h-hour" fizzled away into nothingness :(

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Since I was on Xbox I was more of a ghost recon guy but i remember arguing with a guy about which game was better, seems the online was more advanced than GR2 and it had a killer commercial, my dad who didn't even like videogames but was former National guard was like "do you have this game" after watching the trailer, he was unimpressed by Ghost recon lol

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
This and rainbow 6 vegas are the only good tactical shooter games we've had in the last 16 years.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I still think the first one was better.
2/3 bullets to kill, while the socom ii was bullet sponge land, less stupid grenades bombing, weapons were much more balanced (iw82A2 and full auto shotgun anyone lol), the maps were also more balanced (no breach enowapi nonsense, no mines), and the few maps from socom 1 that came in socom 2 were butchered in the process (rat's nest, abandoned, my god, what did they do to you)... also you could force a game to start.
both games were ruined by rampant cheating so in the end it was trash after a few months. the first socom did resist a bit longer.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Since I was on Xbox I was more of a ghost recon guy but i remember arguing with a guy about which game was better, seems the online was more advanced than GR2 and it had a killer commercial, my dad who didn't even like videogames but was former National guard was like "do you have this game" after watching the trailer, he was unimpressed by Ghost recon lol

I expected this commercial.

Man I loved this game, it's the reason I got the PS2 HDD and started playing Final Fantasy XI (best MMORPG ever to me, Beast Master forever!).

I like Crossroads, but Fish Hook has a special place in my heart.

Nov 28, 2017
SOCOM 1 and 2 are some of the GOAT multiplayer games. i still know every geometry glitch to get you out of certain map borders and raise hell

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I expected this commercial.

Man I loved this game, it's the reason I got the PS2 HDD and started playing Final Fantasy XI (best MMORPG ever to me, Beast Master forever!).

I like Crossroads, but Fish Hook has a special place in my heart.

Lol I remember that commercial as well the one I posted was better though

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This and rainbow 6 vegas are the only good tactical shooter games we've had in the last 16 years.

Maybe you're just not paying attention to modern tactical shooters then. Escape From Tarkov, Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon Wildlands PvP, and Insurgency Sandstorm are all better than Socom and Vegas.

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me sad we might never get a sequel or a game as pure as Socom.
My heart skipped when I saw that Predator game trailer before it was revealed to be a Predator game.

Please give me a remaster at the very least...

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Maybe you're just not paying attention to modern tactical shooters then. Escape From Tarkov, Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon Wildlands PvP, and Insurgency Sandstorm are all better than Socom and Vegas.

I own all of them and I disagree.... ish.

Tarkov is basically a cheat bot sim with added shitty hit registration and desync.

Wildlands is good, I give you that, but socom good? Not even close.

Insurgency is spectacular but 1st person.

Siege is nothing more than a overwatch clone in its current form.

OP
OP

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
22 maps but only one mattered: Crossroads

The universal acceptance of Crossroads as a tie-breaker map in clan wars really says a lot about how well Socom 2 was designed to me.

The strategy that went into each clan picking its map and side, it really illustrates just how Nuanced and thought out each map was. There was strategy, strengths, and weaknesses that you had to consider for each map.

But most of the time, crossroads settled the score anyways.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I own all of them and I disagree.... ish.

Tarkov is basically a cheat bot sim with added shitty hit registration and desync.

Wildlands is good, I give you that, but socom good? Not even close.

Insurgency is spectacular but 1st person.

Siege is nothing more than a overwatch clone in its current form.

Yes Wildlands is better than Socom has ever been.

Not gonna respond to the other takes because you're obviously not interested in a serious discussion.

OP
OP

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried Wildlands yet, I've heard good thing so about the PVP tho.

But my point wasn't really to compare all these games when it comes to gameplay. I just think it's incredible how much SOCOM 2 had to offer given when it was released .

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Ah yea I remember the good old days of teams doing team kills and kicking you off the game since you were new or without a clan. If you retaliated by killing whiever did it first, your team would kill you at the start.

The community wasn't that great in that aspect.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that loves Socom 2, if it came out today it wouldn't be as praised.

Someone commented on Fish Hook. People would be absolutely infuriated if you couldn't even leave spawn at the start of a round. Not only did you have to worry about nade spam, while you're trying to avoid it you have no idea if someone jumped down so now you have to play more cautious

45 seconds of the round are gone before you can safely leave the beach

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I loved Socom and Socom 2 back in the day. I wish we could see it come back in a form better than it did on PS3.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing this single player not a terribly long time ago and i was having a GREAT time.

OP
OP

ThaNotoriousSOD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that loves Socom 2, if it came out today it wouldn't be as praised.

Someone commented on Fish Hook. People would be absolutely infuriated if you couldn't even leave spawn at the start of a round. Not only did you have to worry about nade spam, while you're trying to avoid it you have no idea if someone jumped down so now you have to play more cautious

45 seconds of the round are gone before you can safely leave the beach

Honestly tho, that was one of the maps with a distinct advantage for terorists. It went like that on different maps, that's what made the game so great and strategic for clan wars.

But nonetheless, I'm really just referring to the features the game launched with. It was a pretty incredible online offering for its time!

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Best game ever, prefered Desert Glory though as favorite map