• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Or a third answer: Delay the game and stop pumping them out every 3 years.

Or just spend a sliver of their Pokebillions on getting some Chinese company to do all the animations that Game Freak can't handle.

Really they should have just announced that full compatibility would be added in the future. Then nobody would be upset because we had to wait for Pokemon Bank compatibility until after the launch of the last few games anyway. They made it seem like this is permanent, which knowing GF and their attitude towards game updates, may well be true.

Surely they can't be so dumb that they thought this decision wouldn't cause a shitstorm?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even then you just have some 3D Models. You still need to make them work in the game, test all of the Pokemon in and outside of battles, plan them into your single-player experience and then it should not be too expensive. The series is popular, beloved and profitable for a reason and it always supises me, that people think, GameFreak doesn't know, what they are doing.
Then delay the fucking game so you can make those previously created 3D models and animations work in Sword and Shield.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
You do realize Sun and Moon had data for overworld Pokemon? And it wasn't just the original 151, it was all 801 Pokemon.
I don't recall Sun and Moon having 801 Pokemon roaming freely in the overworld. I doubt they would program all that AI and not use it in the game (I don't see why the 3DS wouldn't handle a couple Pokemon per screen).

Even if they did, it still takes resources to QA all that movement in a new gameplay environment (e.g. new open world, free camera, etc.) What I'm arguing is that Game Freak clearly has the resources for this, but are clearly not investing enough to get this done.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The entire reason why the 3DS games had such ridiculous high-poly models (Which tanked those games' performance) was so that they could be reused for future projects. If they didn't have the time and money to include a basic feature of the series by November, they could have delayed the game.
It's not as simple as copy pasting models. They'll have to do touch ups to make sure it looks good. They might be adding new animations. And if course, there's monstrous amounts of testing just to make sure everything works. It's not a simple software engineering task at all.

You can speak for yourself, but personally, I'd much rather not have the game delayed. There's more than enough Pokemon in the game for it to be fun as it is imo.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
When this happened with Ruby/Sapphire I was upset about it, but now that we have nearly 1,000 Pokemon I actually feel like Pokemon games would probably be better with just a subset of them. I think focusing on a smaller number of them will make the experience more meaningful and less overwhelming.

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Resetera: advocates for less crunch and better working conditions for developers

Also resetera: GIVE ME ALL THE FUCKING POKÉMON

Like I imagine this had to happen at some point? Especially with the jump to HD and a more ambitious release. I'm sure a lot of work has to go into making sure all of the hundreds (are we nearing a thousand yet?) Pokémon are up and working and working the way they should.
Delay the game. No one is asking for more crunch. We're asking for more than the bare minimum. The models are already done FFS.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Either that or they still want the feat of "catching them all" to be reasonably attainable again.
It was already reasonable before.

Completing the pokedex and all the rewards you would get from it in the last generation were obtainable by capturing and trading ingame pokemon.

They did all that without screwing people who wanted to transfer in non dex pokemon they had been using and building for years.

Hikari_Ryu

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
Even having HD models for all Pokemon, I'm sure there's other work involved in taking all existing Pokemon from the 3DS games to the Switch. It makes sense to release Sword and Shield with a limited amount this year and an improved version next year. It's not like they are forcing anyone to buy this year's version, you can just skip it and get the next version or gen.

Seems weird to be angry about this when they are telling people upfront.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
I wouldn't mind a delay for this game if this could be fixed but now that AC was delayed is literally impossible that Nintendo would allow their only big holiday title to be delayed so i guess we're fucked.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I don't recall Sun and Moon having 801 Pokemon roaming freely in the overworld. I doubt they would program all that AI and not use it in the game (I don't see why the 3DS wouldn't handle a couple Pokemon per screen).

Even if they did, it still takes resources to QA all that movement in a new gameplay environment (e.g. new open world, free camera, etc.) What I'm arguing is that Game Freak clearly has the resources for this, but are clearly not investing enough to get this done.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
It's not just the 3D models... Each Pokemon needs to have its moveset and level up moves updated each generation, support the new TMs etc, while still keeping it all balanced. I think it's comparable to a TCG game - at some point you need to rotate cards out of the 'standard' format to keep it all from breaking.

It's disappointing but I'm not sure it was avoidable without really limiting the number of new Pokemon going forward.

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
Every single Pokemon is someone's favorite Pokemon. That's the fucking appeal of the series. The monsters are the most important thing period. I can't believe that is going to be thrown out of the window.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it confirmed no megas, z-moves, and national dex? I definitely did not expect this to include all 900 Pokemon.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need crunch or a delay, just hire more people,I'm sure GF can afford it

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People getting spoiled with every character being in Smash. Do we need EVERY pokemon in every game going forward? Come on! There are too many pokemon to begin with. A lot of them are really silly. Let them cut the unpopular ones and focus on the ones people actually care about. More isn't always better

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I think it will be fine if they just slowly release more of the Pokedex as they finish. Or maybe with each new game add more of the missing Pokemon so eventually there will be all hd models.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then delay the fucking game so you can make those previously created 3D models and animations work in Sword and Shield.
Delaying cost even more money and will hurt the franchise. Having a balance between releases, quality and content is the key of Pokemon's success. A great game, which comes in 2019, balanced around the given, limited number of Pokemons, will be a better game foe the audience and the producers, then the same with 900 Pokemon randonly thrown into the game.
Every single Pokemon is someone's favorite Pokemon. That's the fucking appeal of the series. The monsters are the most important thing period. I can't believe that is going to be thrown out of the window.
It's also important for the series, then you get to meet new Pokemon, which can be your new favorite companien. It keeps the series fresh.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's maybe not unreasonable to assume that The Pokemon Company (the BIGGEST ENTERTAINMENT BRAND) has the resources to model all of the Pokemon.

Is this why Mega Evolutions were replaced with Dynamaxing? Because you don't need a new model for giganto battling? lmao

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The models are already created and, when extracted, at about the same fidelity as we've seen in the trailers. The models even had baked in overworld animations that were never used until LGPE. Unless there's not enough room on the Switch cart for all the Pokemon I can't really think of a reason for not allowing each and every Pokemon to be in the game other than:
*Artistic decision (in which case it's a silly one which should be criticized)
*Not enough time (in which case, just delay the game, we don't actually NEED a yearly Pokemon release, will also give extra time for other aspects of the game)

No one in this thread has advocated for crunch, only for delaying the game.

Obviously if the choice was actually between no crunch and all the Pokemon, it should be no crunch. But there IS a third option.

But what do you have is a lot of people implying that almost 700 or something Pokémon can just be dumped into the game because the work is already done on a totally different sub-HD platform.

Just import the models 5head

Delay the game. No one is asking for more crunch. We're asking for more than the bare minimum. The models are already done FFS.

The work is done on what the 3DS? Do you think it's as simple as just importing the models?

I don't even give a shit about this game but these expectations just seem wildly unrealistic. Sure they can delay the game but I imagine that would increase the development time substantially.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Good, keep up the heat, it's a stupid decision.
I have a friend who is really upset over this too, been going off about it all morning. Some other friends have been disputing her, and my viewpoint is this eventually had to happen. This is their first HD Pokemon game, which brings with it several challenges, especially to deliver the game in a timely manner as fans will expect. The number of Pokemon also keeps increasing, and with the increased fidelity and demand to 3D model and animate each Pokemon means doing 900+ Pokemon in a single game is, frankly, a pretty ridiculous demand.

There's only really four ways they could go about this:
01. Not include all the Pokemon (what they opted for).
02. Lower the graphical/animation quality of each Pokemon to make them easier to develop.
03. Stop adding new Pokemon in the games, cap them off.
04. Go for a subscription type service with Pokemon post-launch.

I know it's not what some fans want to hear, but this was always an eventuality of the franchise. I'm sure they can use the Sword and Shield engine for upcoming entries so they can build on it with the next entry, however.
Old Pokemon are just reusing old models and animations. There is a reason XY models were so high poly for 3DS.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's not as simple as copy pasting models. They'll have to do touch ups to make sure it looks good. They might be adding new animations. And if course, there's monstrous amounts of testing just to make sure everything works. It's not a simple software engineering task at all.

You can speak for yourself, but personally, I'd much rather not have the game delayed. There's more than enough Pokemon in the game for it to be fun as it is imo.
It's not a "simple" solution, but I guarantee the inevitable updated rereleases will have the full national pokedex as a selling point.

So why should I buy Sword and Shield and not just wait until those?

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, celesteela, toxapex and ferrothorn
Personally, I would delete Jynx before any of those Pokemon. Though they did fix her design, meaning I hate it less than I did before. Besides, every Pokemon is someone's favorite which is why this announcement caused such a big shitstorm in the first place.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Didn't Masuda explicitily said last year that we would never have another Gen 2 > Gen 3 situation? Look where that got us lol

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
As a casual fan I actually prefer it this way, but I can definitely see how this is upsetting to move devoted fans. Hopefully a full national dex will eventually be added down the line.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Reposting myself:

I'll just leave this here.

These exist for ALL existing pokemon.

The work has already been put in. These models and animations already exist and are being used in Sword and Shield already.

Not only that, but the models are actually incredibly detailed and incredibly smoothed out, some say unnecessarily so because it impacts 3DS performance, but it future proofs for situations like this. These textures exist. These animations exist. These models exist.

When people are asking for all the pokemon, they aren't asking for everything to be encounterable in the wild, or for trainers to have every pokemon. Just to let the previous games be transferable into your boxes and party.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It was already reasonable before.

Completing the pokedex and all the rewards you would get from it in the last generation were obtainable by capturing and trading ingame pokemon.

They did all that without screwing people who wanted to transfer in non dex pokemon they had been using and building for years.
Man, so what's the point of having that new Pokémon bank system if half of the little monsters can't be played with on sword/shield. Something ain't right

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This is really disappointing. Went from "must buy" to "skip" pretty hard on this game because the biggest appeal to me was bringing my entire Pokemon collection (3DS, Go and Let's Go) together in the game.

This news makes me just want to wait for the game that does bring it all together.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't mind. Big whatever. Only play it super casually though so what do I know.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is a huge fuckup, so they deserve the criticism. Even if they didn't have the HD models already made (they do), these aren't million-polygon car models.

I understand the concerns about balancing, but it's not like all of the existing Pokémon are completely balanced anyway.... there are top tier and low tier as-is. And plenty of them have identical typing and move sets. Plus, the work has already been done with all of those Pokemon in the previous games. You're really just balancing new Pokémon into that mix, no?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019

Whe they released X and Y they made 3D models from the ground up for 700+ Pokémon and make a Pokémon game in 3D for the first time and animations form all of them, they should've commited to bring all the Pokémon.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Delaying cost even more money and will hurt the franchise. Having a balance between releases, quality and content is the key of Pokemon's success. A great game, which comes in 2019, balanced around the given, limited number of Pokemons, will be a better game foe the audience and the producers, then the same with 900 Pokemon randonly thrown into the game.
We don't need a new Pokémon game every year. There are AAA franchises that Pokémon makes way more money than that take 3-5 years between releases. There is no reason Pokémon can't do the same.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I
This is really disappointing. Went from "must buy" to "skip" pretty hard on this game because the biggest appeal to me was bringing my entire Pokemon collection (3DS, Go and Let's Go) together in the game.

This news makes me just want to wait for the game that does bring it all together.
But nobody was thinking you could transfer Go Pokemon to here?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith that Game Freak will rebalance things in a significant way.

There will be canned tomatoes in this game as far as the eye can see with a very clear pecking order. There will be the powerful pokemon, the okay ones and the terrible, same as before.

So things will feel the same but...just with half or more the roster missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.