• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
In all honesty I'm finding that it's best to enjoy things by not participating in conversation on ANY social media platforms. It's so bizarre because going to conventions is the exact opposite! I love running into people who are passionate about what they like there.

I really loved Rise of Skywalker. I think any fan of anything will have their ideal version of what that is... but how can that possiblely mesh with everyone elses ideal version. Why do people confuse passion for pessimism?

Anyways sorry mostly a rant. I really don't care if another person likes or dislikes something I like..but it's exhausting trying to enjoy something without having to justify it.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I posted yesterday. I deleted Twitter and Facebook largely to avoid Star Wars spoilers but after 2 days of not engaging in social media I'm actually thinking I might not reinstall. If I'm curious I'll pop on at work but I just don't find social media conversations all that fulfilling anymore. I get more enjoyment talking to people on Era. At least it's generally amiable and conversations happen even if I don't agree with everyone all the time: I can't just call someone an asshole every post and get away with it unlike Twitter.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, it's amazing how people will make you feel awful for enjoying something. I stayed off of social media for about a week before TRoS, and I'm glad I did.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people confuse passion for pessimism?
Because we live in an era where people have been convinced that cynical as the default reaction is an insightful personality. Where a notable amount of people make a living by doing nothing other than constantly being negative about media and many people, who are highkey just unhappy with themselves and project that misery onto other things, lap that sort of shit up.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's amazing how people will make you feel awful for enjoying something. I stayed off of social media for about a week before TRoS, and I'm glad I did.

Yeah I know what I like and what I don't like and just don't feel the need to persuade people or deal with them telling me I shouldn't like something because of X, Y or Z. There's enough shit to debate in the world but even with politics I'd don't get pleasure from telling someone they're an idiot or a fascist unless they're truly being human garbage or overtly racist or something. It's just not worth my time to debate or defend my position.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
While I suspect you're implying almost all online conversations are contributing to this (which I'd agree with), I'll focus specifically on twitter when I say that limited short statements is an awful way to facilitate conversation and it's no surprise that the platform devolves into who can be the snarkiest, most pointed and most hyperbolic in their claims. A response to that therefore needs to be equally snarky and pointed to resonate and it just goes around and around to the point that no one is actually interested in coming to any understanding. It's just an opportunity to dish off as much vitriolic snark as possible. How could that possibly be conducive to healthy consumption of media?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I suspect you're implying almost all online conversations are contributing to this (which I'd agree with), I'll focus specifically on twitter when I say that limited short statements is an awful way to facilitate conversation and it's no surprise that the platform devolves into who can be the snarkiest, most pointed and most hyperbolic in their claims. A response to that therefore needs to be equally snarky and pointed to resonate and it just goes around and around to the point that no one is actually interested in coming to any understanding. It's just an opportunity to dish off as much vitriolic snark as possible. How could that possibly be conducive to healthy consumption of media?

That's a great way of putting it. I mean I do enjoy laughing at a good Trump tweet but the comments are all a snark competition that doesn't really add any value. There's only so many ways to say "fuck you die in a fire".

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't seen TROS yet and I'm not letting online reactions sour me. I look at it as an indicator of the film being divisive, but my enjoyment is my own and I don't need to justify it to anyone. There does seem to be some desire to make others share in the collective negativity. But until I see the film for myself it's just observation.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care if another person likes or dislikes something I like..but it's exhausting trying to enjoy something without having to justify it.
Yeah, this is a problem for me as well. I can't really explain why I do or don't like something, I'm not much of a critic, so it can suck reading through endless waves of people explaining really eloquently why something I like is actually bad without really having a good way to describe why I liked it. I just end up agreeing that it's bad and then feel dumb for liking it.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen TROS yet and I'm not letting online reactions sour me. I look at it as an indicator of the film being divisive, but my enjoyment is my own and I don't need to justify it to anyone. There does seem to be some desire to make others share in the collective negativity. But until I see the film for myself it's just observation.
If anything, negative reaction better prepares me to love it more. It's when everyone is gushing about something that's not that great - that's when the negative reaction from me is amplified.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its a shame really, because I feel like in its infancy 10-15 years ago the internet and its social places were amplifiers to a degree that could really boost your enjoyment of your hobbies and things like that.

To some degree it still exists, but the larger larger properties and franchises have been slowly eroding away into these balls of misery and hate that I too have receded from. Its just awful.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Disconnect.

You will be happier.

Social media and the internet in general are pretty horrible. You really need to aggressively weed out all of the shit.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Always felt like everyone kept slamming the new SW films (I enjoyed them alright, though not a SW fan so I assumed i had difft expectations), then didn't Era recently have a poll on who actually liked TLJ and when i clicked into it, it was like 70%.

Much like Yelp reviews, a lot of the loud voices are the disappointed ones. After all, how often do people gush about something they enjoyed vs yel(p) about something they hated?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like you said, just don't use it.

I used it in a very limited way (really just Facebook) and even gave that up about a year ago. I am extremely happy that I did. It's astounding how quickly you realize you absolutely do not need it at all, and that often times it's more of just another hurdle than anything.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I stopped using my Facebook and I never felt better for myself. My only social media I use is Era and I don't really need anything more than that.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much through with other people's opinions of the media I consume. I might follow a few professional critics or journalists, but that's it.

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped using my Facebook and I never felt better for myself. My only social media I use is Era and I don't really need anything more than that.
Era is negative as fuck though. ESPECIALLY when it comes to media.

Like Facebook is bad for political shit, but rarely do I see the in-depth tearing down and absolute vitriol towards shows/movies/music/media that I do on this site. And yes, I am definitely guilty of that myself. But it's the atmosphere that leads me to post those opinions.

And that's not even touching the "actor/director/producer X was involved in this project and did a bad thing so anyone who watches or enjoys it is a piece of shit who supports (whatever bad thing that person did) and is just as awful themselves."

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
You can always opt out of social media.

this. i use reddit and message boards quite a bit, but rarely to discuss something im currently enjoying. its pretty easy to curate your social media habits to remove yourself from that conversation.

this place is incredibly negative about most things, so i mostly focus on upcoming things. Most of those opinions dont really matter as they haven't experienced it yet.

i like reddit for older media, as anyone who would want to talk about a old show or w/e is someone who likes it. i'm rather fond of visiting the Fraiser and Sopranos subs for example.

twitter/fb/etc are trash and the quicker you remove them from your life the happier you'll be regardless.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, personally I just don't give a shit what other people think regardless. I don't mind seeing negative about stuff I like or positive about stuff I don't like since it doesn't matter, it's all subjective.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care if another person likes or dislikes something I like..but it's exhausting trying to enjoy something without having to justify it.

It's partly why I didn't invite certain people in the group watch of the recent movie

It's not fun having to deal with those people who want you to justify why you like it

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
It's easier to say than do, but you gotta curate.

Personally, I'm staying clear of most of the TROS threads on ERA, basically just keeping myself to the Star Wars OT; compared to previous SW releases, I feel a lot less overwhelmed and I'm happier for it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I agree with this, and it's kind of a thing here, too. It's so jarring to me to, say, watch the latest episode of Mandalorian, think, "oh, man, that was cool!" then pop into the thread and the first post I read is something like "That was the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen."

I think it's the extreme hyperbole that's so draining. Like, no episode of the Mandalorian is the worst thing you've ever seen.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I agree OP, but being of Facebook for more than a year I still feel I miss stuff since lots of bands and concert halls use FB as their main avenue for posting shoes and stuff. I like underground hardcore punk and I feel FB is really the way to keep up to date which sucks. Would love mailinglists but those days are long gone :(

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Try being someone who legitimately enjoys the DCEU. You basically have to put on a full suit of armor before even considering sharing that opinion.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it kind of evolved from trolling. Somewhere along the line, trolling went from good-natured ribbing into people trying their best to ruin people's enjoyment of everything and make them as miserable as possible.

Some people just have nothing better to do than to try to ruin everyone else's enjoyment of something. They just start inserting bullshit into it to try to make them feel bad for liking it. Like this cute cat photo? WRONG, THE COLOR OF THE FUR ON THIS CAT SHOWS THAT IT'S BEING ABUSED HOW CAN YOU LIKE SOMETHING SO HORRIBLE. Shit like that is just nauseating. What happened to going "I'm happy you liked it, but it didn't really click with me" and then moving on? It's totally possible to disagree with someone or say you didn't like something without attacking someone else's enjoyment of it.

The aggressive hyperbole is awful, too . Don't agree with me about this one thing? Then FUCK YOU AND YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY, YOU'RE ALL HORRIBLE PEOPLE AND I HOPE YOU ALL DIE etc. It's really stupid.

Sometimes it's best to just think "I like this thing" and then just don't speak up about it in any place where some moron will feel the need to walk in and piss on it just because he has nothing better to do with his life.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Try being someone who legitimately enjoys the DCEU. You basically have to put on a full suit of armor before even considering sharing that opinion.
At least Star Wars are critical and commercial successes that make billions of dollars

I can't even tell my own mother I like Batman v Superman

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Era is negative as fuck though. ESPECIALLY when it comes to media.

Like Facebook is bad for political shit, but rarely do I see the in-depth tearing down and absolute vitriol towards shows/movies/music/media that I do on this site. And yes, I am definitely guilty of that myself. But it's the atmosphere that leads me to post those opinions.

And that's not even touching the "actor/director/producer X was involved in this project and did a bad thing so anyone who watches or enjoys it is a piece of shit who supports (whatever bad thing that person did) and is just as awful themselves."
It helps for me that I don't know anyone here personally and it's all ananomous. Facebook was a minefield for awful opinions from people I know that brought me down. It's easier for me to disconnect somewhat that way.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I agree with this, and it's kind of a thing here, too. It's so jarring to me to, say, watch the latest episode of Mandalorian, think, "oh, man, that was cool!" then pop into the thread and the first post I read is something like "That was the biggest pile of shit I have ever seen."

I think it's the extreme hyperbole that's so draining. Like, no episode of the Mandalorian is the worst thing you've ever seen.
I feel ya. I find myself browsing this site less and less often. Its draining as you say. And I know its not only here, its the internet in general. But using it less has made me enjoy things more for sure.

Oct 28, 2017
forums are antisocial media

6f607kfq.gif

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
When it gets too extreme I find it easier to get past, like with TRoS. I loved the film and thought it was a great love letter to fans of Star Wars and can't reconcile people believing it to be as bad as The Phantom Menace. I think when it gets that absurd (relative to ones own thoughts) it's easier to elevate from it and enjoy things. Like No Man's Sky where I received death threats for posting positively about it - it was shitty but it was so extreme that it didn't impact on my enjoyment of the game. Similarly with Stadia - it's hard not to take 80% of the vitriol as the currently-acceptable extension of platform wars bullshit.

I find it's harder to break from when it's a general disappointment around with less extremes. That's when it can influence my own enjoyment, even if it obviously shouldn't.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
If social media is having any sort of adverse effect on your life, stop using it. It's not remotely necessary, and almost completely worthless.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Social media, including forums, can be exhausting. I have decided to remove myself from the Rise of Skywalker discussion on here and elsewhere. There's no reason to subject yourself to something that is only going to cause you anxiety.

As someone above said, it's the hyperbole that is the most draining. There is no reasonable debate or discussion to be had these days.

Oct 26, 2017
I never understand the point of these threads, you do realize you are letting social media get to you? You can always walk away.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Anyways sorry mostly a rant. I really don't care if another person likes or dislikes something I like..but it's exhausting trying to enjoy something without having to justify it.

But why would you have to justify anything? Do not seek others' approval for any choice you've made or taste you may have. Be who you are for yourself.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I tend to find some social media as a good conduit for information so it's hard to cut off completely but I do work on cutting out the toxic discussion and opinion since there is some much of it. Just don't let it bring you down.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Social media, including forums, can be exhausting. I have decided to remove myself from the Rise of Skywalker discussion on here and elsewhere. There's no reason to subject yourself to something that is only going to cause you anxiety.

As someone above said, it's the hyperbole that is the most draining. There is no reasonable debate or discussion to be had these days.
For what it's worth, anyone's opinion on any piece of branded entertainment shouldn't 'cause one anxiety unless they worked to produce it. I don't lose sleep or get stressed whenever people trash the past two decades of The Simpsons even though there's a lot to like from it that shouldn't be subject to a sweeping generalization. I can see things from their perspective and that's cool. I've even taken steps to curate the highlight episodes so as to make it easier for those open-minded enough to want to seek out the good stuff. I'd rather be able to do that than tune out any form of criticism and cocoon myself into a safe space or bubble.

If someone didn't enjoy The Rise of Skywalker or felt it wasn't perfect, that's cool. It's no big deal because you didn't contribute anything towards making it what it was. Nothing is going to satisfy or please everybody no matter how great it is. People are always going to be hyperbolic on the Internet because that's the easiest way to generate a reaction. More often than not that's their aim and the hyperbole doesn't represent what they're truly feeling anyhow. Tune those people out if they're being silly. Focus your aims to debate and discuss on those open-minded enough to not behave that way.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Among the hardcore fans of Star Wars are a fair number of extremely vocal delusional morons who don't actually understand what Star Wars is, and are full of trash hot takes. Unfortunately, Star Wars talk online generally is a pretty negative experience.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. The point of social media and discussion is hearing other people's thoughts and criticism of the stuff you enjoy, it could make you look deeper, understand better or gain cool insight from people with different backgrounds and points of view.

Nobody forces you to dislike stuff.