• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working from home for the most part of the last few weeks and the everyday life routine is getting me down... I'm just bored. There's nothing particularly bad or wrong going on though. I guess I do various things in the evening, I try to mix it up. But yeah, it's making me remember why I drank all the time. Drinking made me feel like I was always ''doing something''. Of course it's all fake and toxic as fuck. I know I won't drink, I just can't, but the boredom is real these days. I've hit 2 and 1/2 years last week I think. Christmas is coming up so I'll focus on that I guess. I bought a shitload of Pokémon cards booster packs for my son and I'm eager to see if pull something cool. Good luck everyone!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm 5mos sober...

...does it ever get easier? I'm closer to a drink now than I was on day one

Yes, absolutely.

For me it was about 5 months which also coincided with the completion of the 12 steps. I'm not a religious person, but if you cut away all the god tourette's in AA it's basically a program to enumerate all of your baggage, review it with someone, identify a primary character defect for you to keep an eye on, make amends, and keep a clear head. Once you've overcome the physical addiction to alcohol, keeping yourself from grinding on resentments avoids mindset where you feel like you have to medicate it with booze.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5mos sober...

Hey -- congratulations, really good job.

To answer your question, for me it got hard before it got easy.

Mind sharing what aspect of sobriety you may be struggling with? Also, could I divert your attention away from the desire to drink... and instead, I'd love to hear about what made you stop in the first place? Let's get back to that moment, why you made the decision in the first place.

iXenon

Sep 22, 2019
Hey -- congratulations, really good job.

To answer your question, for me it got hard before it got easy.

Mind sharing what aspect of sobriety you may be struggling with? Also, could I divert your attention away from the desire to drink... and instead, I'd love to hear about what made you stop in the first place? Let's get back to that moment, why you made the decision in the first place.

The social part. My only social interaction I get is in meetings, which I generally don't enjoy attending. I struggle with making friends there so when I'm not there or working, I'm alone all the time. But I love the bar atmosphere.

I ended up getting a DUI in May, and while I wasn't court ordered to attend AA, I decided I needed to so I did. Sobriety lasted a few weeks and then I was back at it. I eventually did a 28-day stint in treatment and made it to five months. I drank shortly after I made that post above.

I'm struggling with the idea of having to deal with this obsession for the rest of my life. I have sponsor and I know I should use him but there's some sort of blockage, like I'm resisting. I want my cake and I want to eat it too

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
The social part. My only social interaction I get is in meetings, which I generally don't enjoy attending. I struggle with making friends there so when I'm not there or working, I'm alone all the time. But I love the bar atmosphere.

I ended up getting a DUI in May, and while I wasn't court ordered to attend AA, I decided I needed to so I did. Sobriety lasted a few weeks and then I was back at it. I eventually did a 28-day stint in treatment and made it to five months. I drank shortly after I made that post above.

I'm struggling with the idea of having to deal with this obsession for the rest of my life. I have sponsor and I know I should use him but there's some sort of blockage, like I'm resisting. I want my cake and I want to eat it too

So I know this sounds so cliche it probably sounds annoying and maybe even obnoxious, but try to get used to not thinking about "rest of my life". You'll hear the ODAAT slogan, but you'll hear others in recovery talk about mindfulness and returning to a life where you live in the present. Even non-addicts struggle with this, where we oftentimes live so much in our head thinking about the past (often resentments) or thinking about the future (I can never drink again!!!) instead of realizing things are good right now. Some recovery stuff directly looks at Buddhist teachings.

And I can only tell you that the obsession does wean with time and work. AA has worked for me, but I do believe you have to do some type of self improvement instead of just sitting in self-pity for the obsession to wane.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I'm 5mos sober...

yes!

however the first 6-8 months were depression and anxiety crazy. its the deepest depression ive been through in recent years and the anxiety triggered a couple panic attacks.

by the end of the first year that was much more manageable. ive said before that my brain didnt know how to handle everyday life without the crutch of alcohol. so i had to rewire my brain to be "normal" again. and it took a lot of time and pain, but it did get better. keep it up man, 5 months is insanely long time, dont throw that away. you may be on the brink of the tide starting to turn, so dont turn back now.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've been working from home for the most part of the last few weeks and the everyday life routine is getting me down... I'm just bored. There's nothing particularly bad or wrong going on though. I guess I do various things in the evening, I try to mix it up. But yeah, it's making me remember why I drank all the time. Drinking made me feel like I was always ''doing something''. Of course it's all fake and toxic as fuck. I know I won't drink, I just can't, but the boredom is real these days. I've hit 2 and 1/2 years last week I think. Christmas is coming up so I'll focus on that I guess. I bought a shitload of Pokémon cards booster packs for my son and I'm eager to see if pull something cool. Good luck everyone!

I can relate to the "doing something" bit. When I wanted to manufacture a special event I'd crack open a special craft beer that I'd been saving.. or 2 or 3... Suddenly a random night with nothing going on was a special occasion.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Preemptively (from my part of the world) sending out a Happy New Year to everyone. Praying for the best for everyone this evening.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Just had my last beer for the foreseeable future. Hopefully at least a year but I'm taking it one step at a time.
Good luck to everyone else trying to abstain in 2020!

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Just had my last beer for the foreseeable future. Hopefully at least a year but I'm taking it one step at a time.
Good luck to everyone else trying to abstain in 2020!

good luck to you! check back in regularly if you can. it helps you keep track of yourself and what you said you were going to do and hold yourself accountable. the support here can be helpful too. take it from me, i used this thread to stay sober for a year and a half now, it really can make a difference in your sobriety journey.

Hello everyone.
I'm joining a club starting right now. Treated myself to some fine port wine with rib eye as my last drink. I tried drinking in moderation, but I would end up binge drinking eventually, therefore I have to cut it out completely. I did a dry run several years ago and lasted about 7 months without a drink. I know it won't be easy due to high stress levels and working in a craft beer industry, but I know i can do it because I quit smoking cigarettes all by myself years ago. I will post from time to time and provide updates or I might use this thread as my diary and share my thoughts and feelings on this journey.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Wishing everyone the best of luck for the new year. Coming up on six months soon.

As my mind slowly returns to me I am grateful the nightmare is over but man, does it haunt me. I feel like screaming when I remember some of the embarrassing shit I did.

Oh well. Onward and upward.

Happy New Year and a healthy decade to you all!

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Doing sober January and having some trouble with sleeping now. Used to be caffeine didn't mess me up but now I find myself feeling very awake past my usual bedtime (10-11pm). Tried melatonin and slept hard til my alarm, and now for over an hour I've been very groggy. How do yall handle this

Falldog

Oct 28, 2017
For Christmas a couple years ago, my parents spent like $150 for me to go to a 2 day metal festival, with a hotel room and everything, and Ozzy headlining. I was soooo stoked, tho thinkthat in my lifetime I was going to get to see the Prince of Darkness, one of the founding fathers of metal! Even my Dad was jealous, and he helped by the tickets for me, lol! The first day I made it through without blacking out. The second day I snuck in a bottle of rum and blacked out sometime in the afternoon. I woke up sleeping in the backseat of my car.

I know I was going ham because the last thing I remember is losing my mind to Sevendust. So, I'm not sure if I got kicked out, or just walked, dragged out... I mean, I was black out drunk and I'm sure I was stumbling around and falling down and shit, probably causing a scene. And I drank nearly an entire bottle of rum in the like 6 - 8 hours so I can't imagine a scenario where security didn't drag my drunk ass out of there. I'm sure something along those lines happened. But I'll never know. Which fills me with an emotion hard to describe, but I know I hate it, and when I feel it, I hate myself...

One of the things that hurt the most was that all too familiar feeling of, "God dammnit, again!? Really Kev!? The fuck is wrong with you!?". And, of course, I missed Ozzy and like 3 of the bands I really wanted to see. Sitting there in my Mom's car (oh yeah she let me borrow her car too!) I felt so angry at myself, so ashamed for having wasted the amazing gift my amazing, relentlessly loving parents had bought for me, and so helpless to control my addictive tendencies, that all I could do was break down crying. For a good half hour I just sat there cursing, crying, occasionally pounding the steering wheel. Then I went straight to the liquor store, bought more booze, went back to the hotel room and drank until I blacked out again.

I was really, utterly powerless to control myself. And so many amazing moments in my life were falling victim to my addictions. I believe that was one of the last time's I ever got that drunk. And a few months later, July 2018, I went to another concert, decided not to drink, and I've been sober ever since that day.

Sometimes man, these "breaking points" like you had are what finally pushes us over the edge to give up the piss. I know it seems like life won't be as fun without it but I'm here to tell you, with many concerts under my belt since that Ozzy show, that it is just as fun if not more without the poison. I can actually remember seeing my favorite bands. I don't get embarrassingly drunk at family events. I actually have money to go do other fun things (my parents don't have to buy me tickets anymore lol!).

So, I dunno maybe it'll take a few more blackout nights for you to come around, but why not make it now? Why not nip that shit in the bud and make sure that you don't have those moments of self loathing after waking up from blacking out (again and again and again, trust me i know how that goes)? No one's saying you never have to drink again, but why not try it out for a month or maybe a year? I think you'll find that life (and concerts!) are not only as enjoyable, but often times even more enjoyable that way.

Good luck! Keep coming back, we'd love to hear from you!

I know you posted this a while back, but this really hit a nerve with me. I have so many similar stories of blacking out on nights out or at events, and it always triggers the same feelings of regret, shame and anxiety. Funnily enough, one of the worst was at a Black Sabbath gig on their farewell tour. After spending a fortune on the tickets and looking forward to the gig for months, I got so pissed that I have no memory of being there at all. Cue the next week beating myself up over being such a pisshead and worrying about what I did or said.That wasn't the first time it happened, and it definitely wasn't the last.

Anyway, hopefully you got to see Ozzy on his current tour. :)

I would ideally like to get to a point where I could enjoy a few drinks without overdoing it, but like many people I can't stop once I get going and always want to drink until I'm legless. I like the feeling of being pissed in the moment, but the aftermath isn't worth it. I've always struggled with anxiety, and it isn't getting any easier as I get older. Waking up with a hangover inevitably causes me to feel awful, which then makes me want to have a drink to feel better (and I always feel better after a couple of pints or glasses of wine) but of course the next day is then so much worse. After a particularly heavy session on a Christmas do a few weeks back I've barely been functioning - constant worry, intrusive thoughts, zero concentration, the works. I got through the rest of the holidays by drinking but I'm determined to get through January sober, and will then try to cut back dramatically for the sake of my mental health. I'd like to knock it on the head for good eventually but I don't think I'm there yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Doing sober January and having some trouble with sleeping now. Used to be caffeine didn't mess me up but now I find myself feeling very awake past my usual bedtime (10-11pm). Tried melatonin and slept hard til my alarm, and now for over an hour I've been very groggy. How do yall handle this

Cutting out caffeine is how I tackled it. And "alexa, play rain sounds" at night. I can get addicted to anything, caffeine was no exception.

1,326 days without a drink. So grateful to naltrexone and science for not having compulsive thoughts towards alcohol today, or anytime if the last 3.5 years, which used to completely dominate my life.

Wish there was something as effective as eliminating compulsions for other things (namely nicotine/tobacco which I've struggled with giving up for almost 20 years now. But I'm at 47 days no cigs). But I obsess daily and my mood is impacted greatly at times.

Will be starting the process of applying for my license. I'm reeeeeally tired of AA, the spiritual, the cult language, and the allergy they have to proven science/medical treatments. Basically, my experience of AA dealing with science and medicine has not lined up with the impression I got initially from members and the big book.

I really dislike AA, and think it actually is a net negative having an accepted, but ineffective default for courts to rely on. But the end for me regarding AA is hopefully in sight.

Just grateful not to be in that prison of compulsion to alcohol anymore, but find myself wishing there was a cure for some of my other vices that was as effective and elegant of a solution as naltrexone was for my alcoholism.

Hope everyone made it through the holidays alright, good luck!

Last edited:

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

Welcome to (at least a brief glance at) sobriety! As you get detoxed from the hard stuff, you'll start to really feel the effects of substances like caffeine and sugar, so you need to eventually be mindful of your use of those.

Sleep is complicated when detoxing though. Me using the word detoxing might seem "too much" or alarming, but it's valid and words are important with this stuff. Remove consistent alcohol consumption and your body will be having significant changes. Night sweats or light "twitching" (not a good way to describe it, but nervous system responses) would be a clear sign of alcohol dependence withdrawal, but even without those things your body is adapting.

I'd give it at least a couple weeks before making "conclusions", longer if you were alcohol dependent. Be sure to talk to a doctor if you need, they're usually happy to prescribe sleep aids for this purpose. Trazodone for example.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I searched for this the other day and ended up buying her other book "The Alcohol Experiment" as it's basically a dry month guide with daily prompts and was on sale for $1.99 for the Kindle version (back up to $13.99). That seemed a better fit for me since I'm wanting to take a month off and then re-assess.

Anyway, today is my Day 1 as I'd decided to start on the first day of the spring semester (I'm a professor) as we had too many things planned the last couple of weeks of winter break that involved some drinking. The intro and day 1 reading in that book was was pretty thoughtful. If nothing else it will make me more mindful of how I'm feeling that in past years where I've done dry months and doing the reading in the morning is a good way to start the day and deal with any cravings or withdrawal symptoms the first week or two when it's the hardest.

In terms of my drinking, it just got out of hand the past couple of months. Nothing bad happened, not getting black out drunk, horribly hungover or anything. I'd just gradually escalated from 10-15 (and often fewer) drinks a week to 20-30 week. Usually 2-4 beers/glasses of wine on work nights and 6-8 on Friday/Saturday (I don't mess with liquor). That's way too much for health, caloric intake and monetary cost. It had led to some weight gain (need to drop 15-20 pounds as I'm most comfortable around 150-155 with my small frame) and having some digestive issues. I was worried it was liver or something else, but blood work, C/T and ultrasounds all normal so it's likely gastritis (had a flare up in summer while taking prescription strength Aleve for a few weeks on doctor's order while recovering from a surgery) made worse by beer/wine and just localizing as some right side discomfort per the doctor's | saw. Taking a month off, along with exercising (got on that end of December and haven't missed a planned workout so far!) and avoiding foods that are bad from acid while taking a prescription antacid for a month and hoping that will clear it up.

Once the months up I'll see how I feel about staying sober longer based on how I'm feeling. I lean toward not quitting as I love beer and wine for both taste and social lubricant purposes. I just need to limit it to 10 or so drinks a week at max, never more than 3-4 in a day (a few special occasions a year aside), no drinking alone etc as that was my general habit until the past year or two when it crept up to unhealthy amounts. Not that there's really a healthy amount of booze, but I was having no effects and the NIH guidelines for "low risk drinking" is no more than 4 drinks in a day and 14 in a week for men (and 3 in a day and 7 in a week for women). If I can get to where that's my heaviest weeks and most weeks are under than (including a lot of zero drink weeks) I'd be pretty happy. I've not done that well at all the past couple of years, so I'll see how I'm feeling with cravings etc. throughout this month and win it's over and take more time off if I feel I need it. If I go back to drinking above that amount (or even at that max regularly) after taking the time off then it's time to quit for good.

The biggest challenge is my wife drinks nearly as much as I do and isn't taking a break. She does want to cut back to only drinking on the weekends. In any case, I have to be responsible for myself and not let her having some drinks mess up my month (or longer) off or increase my drinking above the max I want to hit if I go back to it. I've used her as an excuse for myself in the past and at the end of the day our health is our own responsibility and we both have to find what works for us and stick with it.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know you posted this a while back, but this really hit a nerve with me. I have so many similar stories of blacking out on nights out or at events, and it always triggers the same feelings of regret, shame and anxiety. Funnily enough, one of the worst was at a Black Sabbath gig on their farewell tour. After spending a fortune on the tickets and looking forward to the gig for months, I got so pissed that I have no memory of being there at all. Cue the next week beating myself up over being such a pisshead and worrying about what I did or said.That wasn't the first time it happened, and it definitely wasn't the last.

Haha, wow! Same here. Black Sabbath on their farewell tour. Got (nearly) blackout drunk, forgot pretty much the entire show, showed up late (they're old now and start on time), broke my friend's glasses in accident like 3 minutes in, fell down and got trampled at one point (pretty much my only distinct memory of the concert itself), and to top it all off lost my phone (or got it stolen). Overall, wasn't a fun night lol.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
One week down on my 30 days no drinking (belated dry January, may stay sober longer than 30 days). It hasn't been too hard other having some problems sleeping the first few nights and some upset stomach and anxiety the first few days. That all seems to have mostly leveled out. Otherwise, temptation hasn't been bad even with my wife still drinking. Even had a couple meals at the bar at my regular spots and had no issues sticking with club soda. The 30 Day experiment book I linked above has been useful as readings about sleeping problems, anxiety etc. when quitting coincided with the worst of those symptoms for me and helped keep things in perspective.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
20 days down and feeling great!
Glad I live in a city that is encouraging the alcohol-free lifestyle (London). I went to a mindful drinking festival on Saturday and tried loads of AF beers and cocktails, and Brewdog has opened the world's first alcohol free pub here with 14 different AF beers on tap.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
So I fucked up. Sober January ended for me when I got laid off last Monday. Fessed up to my girlfriend and in the process she learned how much of a problem alcohol and depression is for me. She is supportive but very shaken and sad that I have so much trouble valuing myself and taking care of myself, that I'm not as confident and self assured as I seem. Her fears for the future scare me too. I don't want this fucking chemical to destroy the best thing in my life, my relationship. I don't want her to feel worried or afraid when she thinks about me

I went to see a therapist last week. I probably need to go back soon

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
For me, the dozen or so slips early on and especially the last one after a couple of months of sobriety really convinced me that alcohol is not for me. For an alcoholic, often the addiction resumes where you left off. It isnt like coffee where after weeks of no caffeine 1 cup is a lot. The same addict response of 1 drink leading to a impulsive desire to drink until you pass out is still there.

So I wouldn't beat yourself up. Use it as a learning experience.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm past the half way point on my belated start dry January (and congrats on any who started on the first and just have 3 more days left).

It's been pretty easy after the first 5 days or so. I didn't have as much physical dependency as I thought, mostly just mental and was drinking too much to deal with some work and life stress the last quarter of 2019. Haven't been that tempted after those first few days even though my wife has been drinking around me regularly. Even had a few meals (with her or solo) at the bar at my regular spots and had no problems sticking with water/club soda.

So I'm feeling pretty good about being able to moderate my drinking again going forward, though I don't pan to necessarily start right after my days are up. I play on not drinking at home though as that's really the only time I end up having more than 2-4 drinks (to easy to drink slowly and game for hours and end up having 6-8 beers), and not having drinks more than 2-3 times a week.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I'm past the half way point on my belated start dry January (and congrats on any who started on the first and just have 3 more days left).

It's been pretty easy after the first 5 days or so. I didn't have as much physical dependency as I thought, mostly just mental and was drinking too much to deal with some work and life stress the last quarter of 2019. Haven't been that tempted after those first few days even though my wife has been drinking around me regularly. Even had a few meals (with her or solo) at the bar at my regular spots and had no problems sticking with water/club soda.

So I'm feeling pretty good about being able to moderate my drinking again going forward, though I don't pan to necessarily start right after my days are up. I play on not drinking at home though as that's really the only time I end up having more than 2-4 drinks (to easy to drink slowly and game for hours and end up having 6-8 beers), and not having drinks more than 2-3 times a week.

Congrats on your halfway point to your goal. The first couple weeks are extremely difficult.

If I can make a suggestion for the remaining half, it would be to try to put what your future looks like in regards to alcohol aside for now. Live in the current moment, be where your feet are, and enjoy sobriety.

The planning and trying to control even when not drinking will just cause unnecessary anxiety. In fact the thought of moderated drinking just makes me anxious what with the keeping tabs on myself and limits.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Two months sober since the 22nd. The ininital push for sobriety is giving way to a daily battle of attrition against the idea of having just a drink. Bloody hell.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Congrats on your halfway point to your goal. The first couple weeks are extremely difficult.

If I can make a suggestion for the remaining half, it would be to try to put what your future looks like in regards to alcohol aside for now. Live in the current moment, be where your feet are, and enjoy sobriety.

The planning and trying to control even when not drinking will just cause unnecessary anxiety. In fact the thought of moderated drinking just makes me anxious what with the keeping tabs on myself and limits.

Thanks! I don't find it stressful to think about as I've successfully moderated my drinking most of my life since starting in college. Just had some out of hand months here and there the last few years, including this past November and December. No real reason, just became more of a habit after meeting my now wife who also loves beer and wine and this having it in the house more often, more date nights out with a few beers etc.

Even then, those the heaviest weeks those couple of months were like 20-30 beers or glasses of wine spread out over the week with no bad hangovers, no blackouts (have never had one) etc. It was way too much drinking for health reasons, weight gain etc. But I wasn't hugely physical dependent—just enough to have some mild sleeping difficulties and upset stomach the first 4 or 5 days.

Again, I still was drinking way too much so I'm not in denial. I'm just not a true full blown alcoholic who can't help myself. Even in the heavy months I was moderating enough to avoid hangovers etc. I also never drink purely to get drunk and end up not drinking if I'm some where that only has crap beer etc. and I don't touch liquor. I just needed a reset to detox from those much heavier than usual months.

So it's just a matter of getting back to my prior norm of 2-3 drinks a couple times a week at most and generally staying under 10 a week. I'm not worried about falling off the wagon as I'm not dying to get back to drinking at all and I've been working out and eating better and losing some of the weight I put on from being laid up after a surgery in the summer and then the date year drinking and holliday food. I'm down 6lbs so far and would like to drop another 15 or so and get back around 150-155 where I'm most comfortable. So that's extra motivation for me to keep it limited.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks! I don't find it stressful to think about as I've successfully moderated my drinking most of my life since starting in college. Just had some out of hand months here and there the last few years, including this past November and December. No real reason, just became more of a habit after meeting my now wife who also loves beer and wine and this having it in the house more often, more date nights out with a few beers etc.

Even then, those the heaviest weeks those couple of months were like 20-30 beers or glasses of wine spread out over the week with no bad hangovers, no blackouts (have never had one) etc. It was way too much drinking for health reasons, weight gain etc. But I wasn't hugely physical dependent—just enough to have some mild sleeping difficulties and upset stomach the first 4 or 5 days.

Again, I still was drinking way too much so I'm not in denial. I'm just not a true full blown alcoholic who can't help myself. Even in the heavy months I was moderating enough to avoid hangovers etc. I also never drink purely to get drunk and end up not drinking if I'm some where that only has crap beer etc. and I don't touch liquor. I just needed a reset to detox from those much heavier than usual months.

So it's just a matter of getting back to my prior norm of 2-3 drinks a couple times a week at most and generally staying under 10 a week. I'm not worried about falling off the wagon as I'm not dying to get back to drinking at all and I've been working out and eating better and losing some of the weight I put on from being laid up after a surgery in the summer and then the date year drinking and holliday food. I'm down 6lbs so far and would like to drop another 15 or so and get back around 150-155 where I'm most comfortable. So that's extra motivation for me to keep it limited.

So these are just things I've realized through my sober time and some suggestions.

- You can't control what others think or assert your will/viewpoint on the world to make "truth"... you're just making your own reality. In other words, you have some long, telling, unprovoked responses to questions relating to alcohol that points to there being an unhealthy relationship with the substance. It's kind of like you're arguing/debating/rationalizing with yourself. I remember that prison.

- there's a lot of numbers, conditionals, this but never that, etc. in regards to your use. My point was to just let the bookkeeping go for a bit. It's often best to take a holistic look at how substances affect us and stop comparing to others or (always moving) metrics and just see how our lives can improve when we remove the substance. There's never been a morning I've woken up and thought "I regret not using yesterday", cept for maybe prior to the days I took my first drinks and had some imaginary fantasies.

Again just suggestions. Nothing wrong with choosing to going back to using, but the "not being in denial" part I'd question. Not in terms of being an alcoholic necessarily, but in acknowledging the role substances play in our lives.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So these are just things I've realized through my sober time and some suggestions.

- You can't control what others think or assert your will/viewpoint on the world to make "truth"... you're just making your own reality. In other words, you have some long, telling, unprovoked responses to questions relating to alcohol that points to there being an unhealthy relationship with the substance. It's kind of like you're arguing/debating/rationalizing with yourself. I remember that prison.

- there's a lot of numbers, conditionals, this but never that, etc. in regards to your use. My point was to just let the bookkeeping go for a bit. It's often best to take a holistic look at how substances affect us and stop comparing to others or (always moving) metrics and just see how our lives can improve when we remove the substance. There's never been a morning I've woken up and thought "I regret not using yesterday", cept for maybe prior to the days I took my first drinks and had some imaginary fantasies.

Again just suggestions. Nothing wrong with choosing to going back to using, but the "not being in denial" part I'd question. Not in terms of being an alcoholic necessarily, but in acknowledging the role substances play in our lives.

Oh all good points for sure. And I'm definitely being very mindful about why my drinking crept up to amounts I was and why I drink in general. And long posts are just my way, I'm not part of the Twitter generation and I rarely bother with short replies to topics (or reading short replies). :D Anyway, a part of my response above (and this one) is that I'm being much more thoughtful about my drinking, why I drink and the leve I want it to be/stay at in the future. That 30-day experiment book I linked to before has helped with that, even if a lot of it hasn't been super applicable to me at times (readings on drinking due to parenting stress and we're child free, a lot of it is written more toward serious alcoholics who need to stop or ruin their lives, lots of talk about her not remembering things when I've never lost memories to drinking, talk about people not really liking the taste when I love the taste and trying new beers way more than I like getting drunk/buzzed etc.).

It's good to be more mindful in general, but especially when it comes to our relationship with alcohol given the harmful effects of over indulging. All those parenthetical about the book are just me examples being mindful while reading (rather than just reading and not processing it) and thinking about what applies to me and what things about her experience don't fit my use and experience with alcohol. She was clearly an alcoholic, a problem drinker and drank to the point of blacking out and forgetting things and regretting it constantly. I drink too much as I love good beer and wine and it especially because it just became a habit as my wife is a pretty heavy drinker as well, as are most all our friends/acquaintances and co-workers. As such, it's especially easy to have too many at home hanging out with the wife and watching TV and movies or sitting around our fire pit, or drinking by myself playing games with my friends who live in other states who are also drinking.

By not being in denial, I just mean I know I had/have a drinking problem or it wouldn't have crept up to an amount that I felt was unhealthy and that I know that whenever I start having a few beers again I'll need to be mindful of it and not letting it creep up again. And if that it does creep up again then that's proof that I can't moderate it like Ii used to be able to and need to just stay sober. It's not something one should fail at if they don't have addiction problems as it shouldn't be hard to not drink more than you want to otherwise. I'm well aware of that. From my past experience, and things I've read and thought about during this sober period, I believe that for me it's mostly just changing those situations that lead to drinking more than I'd like and limiting my drinking to situations where I know I only want 2-3 drinks and will truly enjoy them rather than just drinking out of habit.

I'm not really doing any bookkeeping by saying that kind of thing; the rough numbers I mention are just how I drank most of my life and never felt was too much, wasn't contributing to weight gain etc. And it really doesn't take bookkeeping to stick to as the biggest thing is just not drinking at home as it's very rare for me to have more than 2-3 drinks socially or with dinner out etc. It's just avoiding day drinking that leads to drinking through bedtime with the wife or the multi-hour online gaming sessions of virtually drinking with some friends who are heavy drinkers etc. I don't really enjoy that thinking back on it as the conversations and gaming are less fun after being very buzzed, much less drunk. It just became habit. I enjoy having 2-3 good beers out, especially ones I haven't tried before, with some good food and conversation with friends/acquaintances, my wife, random people at the bar etc. And I'm confident I can do it I'm on day 17 now and have had very little little temptation to drink even with my wife having at least 3-4 drinks most days over the span, having some meals at the bar at my favorite spots and still having fun chatting with folks while just drinking club soda (and not feeling pressured even when people tease me about not drinking for a month) etc.

In any case, I appreciate the advice and will just step away from the thread as I'm well past the hard part of the dry month. There's just, from what I can find, not good communities or resources for people who want to moderate their drinking. Most things are for serious addicts who have to stay sober or they'll ruin their lives and/or drink themselves to an early death. Thus a lot of the advice doesn't resonate for people who moderated their drinking with no issues for long periods of time and just want to get back to it after having a period of heavier drinking than they'd like. People like me tend to have developed more of a mental/habitual addiction and that can be dealt with by detoxing and being more mindful going forward. Serious addicts have a physical addiction, and often a genetic predisposition to it (no alcoholics in my immediate family that I'm aware of) and have never been able to moderate from the time they had their first drinks.

More importantly, it's probably not good for the addicts to see people talking about moderating their drinking (especially if they succeed). The last thing I want is someone with serious addiction giving in and giving drinking another go if they see others moderate successfully. Then their addiction makes them think they can handle it as well and then it goes up in flames. If I had it to do over again, I'd have just created a dry January thread for those of us just taking a break to reassess and detox and left this thread for the people wanting to stay sober for good. Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited:

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Struggling today. Depression and anger are pretty high. Really tempted to down a 12 pack after work.

I've already ruined my sobriety, I drank last weekend. Not as much as usual but I find myself falling back into old habits.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Struggling today. Depression and anger are pretty high. Really tempted to down a 12 pack after work.

I've already ruined my sobriety, I drank last weekend. Not as much as usual but I find myself falling back into old habits.
I feel you. Power through. Try to meditate. Make some tea or somethin'. Put on a favorite funny movie. Try to take your mind off it if you can.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe

This is a guy I've been following for a while. Always found his videos good to watch for reminders here and there. He has made quite the transformation with sobriety. A few that seem relevant.

Maybe you can find something of value from his videos.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling. One thing that I like to remember when feeling depressed, anxious, or angry is that feelings aren't facts.

Also, my feelings now are just for today. When I got diagnosed as depressed, I internalized it and thought "I'm always just going to tend toward the sad side" - almost something I'm cursed with/doomed to. I've realized from my sober work that if I'm doing work I need to do (meditation, eating right, living honestly, connecting with others, etc) that my days when my thinking is negative are just for today, and there's always tomorrow to look forward to. It's in the same vein as "one day at a time", or if you prefer the Buddhist principles of being present and "being where your feet are".

Relapse happens to many of us unfortunately. I can't even count the number of times I have. But be happy for and proud of the time you did put together though. That said, this is one of those great times to throw yourself into the arms of a sober community (I like AA), accept help, and get back on the wagon with us.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm not sure I've ever been to a worse AA meeting than last night (outside of the ones involving fights). Bunch of ignorant boomers rallying against Kaepernick. The sooner courts and SoS stop valuing AA attendance, the better.

That said, it probably helped form a bond with one other person who I can tell was biting their lip the whole time as well.

That aside, things have been going really well. I've helped a couple others try naltrexone to good success. And I've stuck to an exercise regimen longer than ever before as an adult. I've felt happier, calmer, more focused and more accomplished (my wife says she has already noticed butt changes!)

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
After over 5 weeks sober I cracked on Friday night. I had a date and I arrived at the bar early so I could grab a non-alcoholic beer without having to explain myself, but they didn't have any.
I thought hey one beer won't hurt, it'll help with the nerves. We ended up out all night drinking til 5/6am.

I had fun but I really paid for it, I still feel crap three days later (physically and mentally), I ruined the rest of my weekend plans, I'm behind at work, I ate terribly, didn't make the gym... bleh.

Back to square one!

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Last drink for a while was on Saturday afternoon. Early steps of what I'm sure will be a painful and messy divorce. I figure I'll take alcohol out of that equation.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Needing to share some thoughts that are troubling me and I know are a bit selfish and disturbing.

Someone I tangentially knew from recovery recently died from kidney and liver failure. I went to a little memorial for the person a few nights ago, and ironically his partner was serving a lot of alcohol there. Additionally, the cause of death wasn't really addressed, which seemed like an elephant in the room especially with all the booze around. This brought up a lot of anger in me (which I thankfully didn't act on, but I'm expressing here).

I get that I'm making this about me and I'm being insensitive to his family, especially in regards to them not addressing the cause of death, and I feel like an asshole for having those feelings. But there is the part of me that always struggles with is this (a) just people grieving or (b) more alcoholism and denial. I know that what I have to do is accept it and keep me mouth shut, and also acknowledge that the disturbance is likely a problem within me. I know I'm hypersensitive around alcohol and still working through that.

augmental

Oct 30, 2017
Needing to share some thoughts that are troubling me and I know are a bit selfish and disturbing.

Someone I tangentially knew from recovery recently died from kidney and liver failure. I went to a little memorial for the person a few nights ago, and ironically his partner was serving a lot of alcohol there. Additionally, the cause of death wasn't really addressed, which seemed like an elephant in the room especially with all the booze around. This brought up a lot of anger in me (which I thankfully didn't act on, but I'm expressing here).

I get that I'm making this about me and I'm being insensitive to his family, especially in regards to them not addressing the cause of death, and I feel like an asshole for having those feelings. But there is the part of me that always struggles with is this (a) just people grieving or (b) more alcoholism and denial. I know that what I have to do is accept it and keep me mouth shut, and also acknowledge that the disturbance is likely a problem within me. I know I'm hypersensitive around alcohol and still working through that.

It seems like serving alchohol at these memorials is common. I agree it makes it weird especially when that person just died essentially from alcoholism. I would probably be angry as well if I was trying to stay sober. In my case, I am not embracing sobriety like I need to be.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
It seems like serving alchohol at these memorials is common. I agree it makes it weird especially when that person just died essentially from alcoholism. I would probably be angry as well if I was trying to stay sober. In my case, I am not embracing sobriety like I need to be.

Thanks. I know serving alcohol is common, and I don't even know exactly why it makes me angry... I guess it just seemed a little like the Twilight Zone while I was there and I had to share about it.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
Checking in on day 4 of no alcohol or cigarettes. Having my first cravings for both right now. Going to go to the gym and hopefully that helps.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I had some drinks tonight people. I'm not worthless for a slip up right? I've felt so good not drinking but tonight I made a decision I shouldn't have.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Three months in now, had to duck out of a social situation I really wanted to partake in but I knew it meant alcohol. All my friends outside my best friend drink (well they do but won't around me), every outing involves it. Every time, my resolve waning.

I wish I had the money to go back to the private rehab facility I was admitted to a few years ago. Looking back, that two month bubble was the happiest I've been in years. I dunno if I ever had the tools to hack it, really.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
This is a guy I've been following for a while. Always found his videos good to watch for reminders here and there. He has made quite the transformation with sobriety. A few that seem relevant.

Maybe you can find something of value from his videos.

second video really hit home for me. The feeling of 'letting people down' if you don't drink is something I've always struggled with. Part of my mental health is always being a people pleaser and not rocking the boat so I've always struggled to tell people no, I'm not drinking. The building a fire analogy was great too. Subbed.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I had some drinks tonight people. I'm not worthless for a slip up right? I've felt so good not drinking but tonight I made a decision I shouldn't have.

You're certainly not worthless. Be grateful for the sober period you had - all that time was much better spent sober than it was if you were using.

Praying you jump back on the sober train with us asap though and get back to putting together more time.