• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Been sober for 3 months 20 days 20 hours 2 minutes and 43 seconds and I have a wedding for a childhood friend this Friday and I'm in the wedding party. I don't think there's ANY way I don't drink this Friday. Oh boy

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Been sober for 3 months 20 days 20 hours 2 minutes and 43 seconds and I have a wedding for a childhood friend this Friday and I'm in the wedding party. I don't think there's ANY way I don't drink this Friday. Oh boy

Best options would be telling your friend / groom that you're not drinking for health reasons (which is 100% true), and then to keep water / diet coke with you at all times. It'll be hard but you've been doing hard for the last 3 months 20 days 20 hours 52 minutes and 44 seconds. :)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I ended up getting way too drunk at a festival a week or two ago and telling my entire life story to these amazing new friends I had met. There is some stuff I didn't exactly want to tell anyone (not fun stuff, like past breakups and challenges and that kinda dark stuff) so now I think I ruined that blossoming friendship. Great.

I've set a goal to go sober for a while again because of it, maybe a month at the very least. Wish me luck.

I hate being that far out of control. God, I'm still embarassed. I guess I really needed to talk about it or I wouldn't have but I lost all sense of context and company in my drunken haze.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
JB1981 , SolVanderlyn , thelostone , Angry Grimace , shnurgleton - how y'all doing?

Been up and down for me - approaching two years this month. Life's goin alright, probably good even, but had an emotional high when I went to visit the girl I'm seeing, and I haven't fully recovered from the drop. My expectations of myself and my happiness keep getting more and more unrealistic, lol. But keeping at meetings and that helps me regain perspective. In crazy news, I'm living by myself...and I'm actually OK with it. I kinda like the space. I've never been able to do that, I normally need to be around people fairly often or I go crazy. But...so far, this has been pretty nice. One of the gifts of sobriety / the program, I think.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Hey, yeah, I've been backsliding since the beginning of February. Today's my birthday and I feel old which is exacerbated by the beers. My brother and I did wine tasting recently and I we ended up splitting a case which, after bringing home my half, I ended up finishing off in the course of about 3 days. I am sort of attempting to offset this behavior by working out really hard but it's just an excuse.

What I need to do is reclaim the energy I had for January, especially now as I'm really attempting to start meeting and dating people. I have a meetup with somebody from CMB lined up this weekend and I really want to go into that showing my best self, which is me sober and confident.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Hey, yeah, I've been backsliding since the beginning of February. Today's my birthday and I feel old which is exacerbated by the beers. My brother and I did wine tasting recently and I we ended up splitting a case which, after bringing home my half, I ended up finishing off in the course of about 3 days. I am sort of attempting to offset this behavior by working out really hard but it's just an excuse.

What I need to do is reclaim the energy I had for January, especially now as I'm really attempting to start meeting and dating people. I have a meetup with somebody from CMB lined up this weekend and I really want to go into that showing my best self, which is me sober and confident.

Here is proof that you can do it!

I'm hanging on folks, sober January working out so far

fLRkxY5_d.jpg

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Just got my first vivitrol shot today. Will post updates about my cravings or lack of them.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Had a very alcoholic brother ruin his mental health , I loathe people who mindlessly get drunk ....its not cool and its pathetic.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
JB1981 , SolVanderlyn , thelostone , Angry Grimace , shnurgleton - how y'all doing?

Been up and down for me - approaching two years this month. Life's goin alright, probably good even, but had an emotional high when I went to visit the girl I'm seeing, and I haven't fully recovered from the drop. My expectations of myself and my happiness keep getting more and more unrealistic, lol. But keeping at meetings and that helps me regain perspective. In crazy news, I'm living by myself...and I'm actually OK with it. I kinda like the space. I've never been able to do that, I normally need to be around people fairly often or I go crazy. But...so far, this has been pretty nice. One of the gifts of sobriety / the program, I think.
Pretty bad. Drinking almost every other day again.

Really depressed. Life got pulled out from under my feet. No idea where I'm going. Alcohol is such a helpful temporary solution that it's hard to say no to.

Gaining weight and feeling miserable. It's Lent now, so I'm going to try to drink a lot less. Who knows how that will go.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Im sorry, this topic sorta gets to me .... my brother ruined most of his life getting drunk and hanging out with the wrong people , makes me dislike alcoholics,...I just see drinking as a phase, if you stil get dead drunk after you're 24-25....it gets to be a pathetic sight to see.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
not meant to be helpful , just venting
Im sorry, this topic sorta gets to me .... my brother ruined most of his life getting drunk and hanging out with the wrong people , makes me dislike alcoholics,...I just see drinking as a phase, if you stil get dead drunk after you're 24-25....it gets to be a pathetic sight to see.

Soooo...you thought it would be a good idea to "vent" in a thread where people are actively trying to conquer the very addiction you loathe? Why come in and try to make the thread all about yourself? Why post in a thread filled with people whom you clearly dislike, since it seems that you're saying that since your brother is a certain way, then all alcoholics must be just like him? Are you just trying to get a rise out of people, or were you thinking you'd come into the thread to try to make the posters here feel bad, and take them down a peg? It is also fairly clear from your statement about drinking being a "phase" that you don't really understand how addiction works, and therefore you're here shitting on people about something that you don't have a fucking clue about.

You have some growing up to do.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Soooo...you thought it would be a good idea to "vent" in a thread where people are actively trying to conquer the very addiction you loathe? Why come in and try to make the thread all about yourself? Why post in a thread filled with people whom you clearly dislike, since it seems that you're saying that since your brother is a certain way, then all alcoholics must be just like him? Are you just trying to get a rise out of people, or were you thinking you'd come into the thread to try to make the posters here feel bad, and take them down a peg? It is also fairly clear from your statement about drinking being a "phase" that you don't really understand how addiction works, and therefore you're here shitting on people about something that you don't have a fucking clue about.

You have some growing up to do.
*shrug*, I dont dislike people who drink , I dislike what drinking does to people... and I understand how addiction works , ive had addictions (like everyone does), I just learned how to overcome them like I wish everyone else could do....thats why I am harsh about it, anyone can escape their addictions, those who think they can't are just weak willed.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Mondai
This isn't a topic to vent, it is a support thread for people who struggle with alcoholism. Please stop derailing the thread!

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
*shrug*, I dont dislike people who drink , I dislike what drinking does to people... and I understand how addiction works , ive had addictions (like everyone does), I just learned how to overcome them like I wish everyone else could do....thats why I am harsh about it, anyone can escape their addictions, those who think they can't are just weak willed.

This isn't helpful at all and you've derailed the thread far enough, time to leave.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Good luck and congratulations on taking that next step in the right direction. You can do it! And yes, please post an update whenever you're ready, we'd love to hear from you.

Thanks! 1 day into my vivitrol shot and I don't have any cravings. I did have really vivid dreams last night though.

I'm 17 days into sobriety after a relapse following 75 days of sobriety. I'm so thankful for my relapse though. Without it, I wouldn't be in the incredible intensive outpatient therapy program I'm in now, I wouldn't have received the vivitrol shot, and I wouldn't have gotten this feeling of allowing myself to receive help.

That relapse was the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks! 1 day into my vivitrol shot and I don't have any cravings. I did have really vivid dreams last night though.

I'm 17 days into sobriety after a relapse following 75 days of sobriety. I'm so thankful for my relapse though. Without it, I wouldn't be in the incredible intensive outpatient therapy program I'm in now, I wouldn't have received the vivitrol shot, and I wouldn't have gotten this feeling of allowing myself to receive help.

That relapse was the absolute best thing that has ever happened to me.

Man, that is so beautiful! Really happy for you and I hope you are proud of yourself because you certainly should be. Keep taking it one day at a time, there are millions of people around the world who have done what you're setting out to do, they're proof it can be done! And your time in sobriety already is also proof, just keep taking it one day at a time and know that great rewards are coming. I'm 8 months sober as of March 1st and I promise you it keeps getting better. The road isn't perfect, but over time I keep bettering myself a little bit more and it all started with ditching the poison. Congrats again and keep trying no matter how long it takes to get it right!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Doing great actually. I mean life still sucks but I haven't drank in 55 days.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Doing great actually. I mean life still sucks but I haven't drank in 55 days.

Nice! It does suck some days, but as long as you focus on the present, you'll be okay.

BTW, my anxiety is on steroids right now. With the vivitrol, I don't feel the need to drink, but man does it suck that I'm not able to calm down. It's all because of the caffeine I had today. I stopped drinking soda and coffee after my most recent relapse, but I drank two Diet Cokes after work today and I completely regret it.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Just got out of IOP and man I fucking feel better. Anxiety has dropped considerably.

It's all about using coping skills and finding the right one.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice! It does suck some days, but as long as you focus on the present, you'll be okay.

BTW, my anxiety is on steroids right now. With the vivitrol, I don't feel the need to drink, but man does it suck that I'm not able to calm down. It's all because of the caffeine I had today. I stopped drinking soda and coffee after my most recent relapse, but I drank two Diet Cokes after work today and I completely regret it.
I'm at a bar right now drinking coke which is free and everything seems good

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
So... I've gone just under 10 weeks sober. I say sober, I've been drinking Ultra light beer which is about 0.4% alcohol. I'd have to drink 12 bottles to hit the amount of alcohol found in one normal beer, as such it's impossible to get drunk or even feel it. Surprisingly easy doing it like this, even went camping with 20+ friends and didn't feel tempted once despite everyone else getting rat-arsed. I drank maybe 10 bottles over the space of 4-5 hours then got bored and stopped drinking it, still didn't need a proper beer, I was already "Beer'd out" which is something I would get when drinking all day for real.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Still drinking

I really want to be active, and I'm pushing myself thru the drink to be active, been doing indoor cycle training a lot, but can't stop rewarding myself with a few tall boys. I fantasize about being able to grab a beer after 60 miles on a bike and not feeling a twinge of evil. This morning I fried up some lamb chops and chased them down with some IPAs and now I am trying to figure out what my day looks like

Particularly, I just turned 30 and I'm meeting somebody from Coffee Meets Bagel tomorrow afternoon and I'm really anxious about that. Haven't been in the dating world since college and it terrifies me being such a broken human being trying to find somebody to take me on as an elective. Of course this goes both ways, people wouldn't be on dating apps if they weren't also auditioning, but making ravishing first impressions isn't the strongest piece of my sales brochure

In the meantime, working thru a pot of coffee and a few Kero Kero Bonito records and wondering when Amazon will deliver my DMC5 order

Last edited:

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Particularly, I just turned 30 and I'm meeting somebody from Coffee Meets Bagel tomorrow afternoon and I'm really anxious about that. Haven't been in the dating world since college and it terrifies me being such a broken human being trying to find somebody to take me on as an elective. Of course this goes both ways, people wouldn't be on dating apps if they weren't also auditioning, but making ravishing first impressions isn't the strongest piece of my sales brochure

I'd suggest getting some sober time before dating. "Somebody to take me on as an elective" does not sound like a healthy approach to dating - it sounds like a call for codependency. I can almost guarantee that once you get some sobriety your self esteem will increase and you can approach relationships with confidence.

But it all starts with not drinking today.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I'd suggest getting some sober time before dating. "Somebody to take me on as an elective" does not sound like a healthy approach to dating - it sounds like a call for codependency. I can almost guarantee that once you get some sobriety your self esteem will increase and you can approach relationships with confidence.

But it all starts with not drinking today.
Yeah I agree. I have the power to regulate myself, it's just a matter of whether I choose to exercise it. It's hard not to take the negative route when evaluating myself, just kind of something I had ingrained in myself growing up, but I have the advantage of some level of mindfulness gained over the past few years. I'm nervous but I'm looking forward to meeting somebody new, granted I go in with a healthy mindset

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Yeah I agree. I have the power to regulate myself, it's just a matter of whether I choose to exercise it. It's hard not to take the negative route when evaluating myself, just kind of something I had ingrained in myself growing up, but I have the advantage of some level of mindfulness gained over the past few years. I'm nervous but I'm looking forward to meeting somebody new, granted I go in with a healthy mindset

I've liked the Program approach that my thoughts, thinking, and feelings are something I don't have power over. I have issues (be it mental illness, alcoholism, or whatever) that I can only do my best to maintain (abstain from substances, living healthy, etc) but when it's bad I now reach out for help. I can't control my reaction, but I sometimes can do my best to control my response. If my initial reaction unfortunately gets out, I know it's my illness and forgive myself. So long as I'm doing my maintenance work (#1 is not using), then I can say that and it's not a cop out.

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
Glad folks are doing alright. Agree with Threadkular - as someone who has depression and anxiety, it seems self-evident to me now that my thoughts and my emotions are something I don't have power over in terms of creation. I do get the ability to control my response better through time and work.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
God dammit. I'm drinking as I type this post.

I can't stop. Without an external motivator like a girl I like, I have no motivation not to get smashed and forget everything. But nobody will ever love me like this. The wheel of destruction.

Man... I'm so pathetic.

Edit: this is why you don't post when drunk lol

Last edited:

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Some days it's really difficult to break all of the bad habits. Today was difficult, but easier than most days.

Keep fighting.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coming up on 6 months sobriety on the 19th.

My journey to get to this point is crazy so I'm just happy I'm here and doing the damn thing!

Naltrexone plus Antabuse is VERY helpful for me. Also having Refuge Recovery meetings 4 x's a week where I live now is awesome.

Those of you struggling PM me if you need to. I started my Journey February of last year (valentines day).

I sobered up and relapsed several times. I even went voluntarily to treatment and relapsed after that so I KNOW the struggles first hand.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
It's crazy how calm and quiet my mind is when I'm not drinking.

How's everyone doing today?

It's a beautiful thing. :)

I'm great! I'm walking the thin line of telling myself that I'm not doing enough and that I'm doing so much better that I should be happy for myself.

I mean, I am happy for myself, I've made leaps and bounds (understatement really) in bettering myself. At the same time, the longer I'm sober and the better I get, the more I want. That in and of itself is a testament to how far I've come. I'm not satisfied just being good, I want to be great!

My size of my dreams and resolve to achieve my life goals are inflating exponentially. It's challenging, scary and going to require an absolute daunting amount of hard work and dedication... and at the same time it's exciting and it feels just wonderful. I find myself smiling thinking about the great life I'm making for myself now and how full of joy my future will be if I keep going the way I am. The weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders and I'm living my best life and loving myself and enjoying my freedom.

Can't wait to see what the next 50+ years has in store for me especially if I keep working as hard as I am now.

To everyone out there still trying, keep goin! I still struggle beating myself up saying that I suck and I'm not enough, but i tell myself that I can fucking do it and I keep going and going. I know from my success over the last 2 years that that's the key.

So yeah, I'm great! How about yourself Mulligan?

DoubleD

Nov 2, 2017
EST
Just found this thread. I'm sober from alcohol approximately one year and 5 months. Just want to give a shout to all of you for taking that step toward sobriety or thinking about taking the step. It's a beautiful life on this side of the bottle. Mad love to you all.

Oct 30, 2017
3 Months sober
It's the taste I miss more than anything
But then I only drink cups of Tea or water normally

So bought me some Non-Alcoholic Beer.
Actually enjoying it
And only 40 kcal

Not that I'm tracking!

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I know it may not be popular, but i love tattoos, anyone ever think about getting a sobriety tattoo?

I'll be sober for a year on July 1st and want to get one. I'm a musician, my whole life has been centered around music and some of my favorite bands and songs have helped me get through my darkest days and help me believe in msyelf. I honestly don't know where I would be without some of the music I've used to inspire me over the last 7 or 8 years... probably still drinking tbh.

I was thinking these 30 Seconds To Mars lyrics on my shin, but without the arrow part, just the lyrics in maybe some nice elaborate cursive or something...

tumblr_mojqlf5gBu1s7icabo1_500.jpg

or, lyrics from another Mars song...

cff78645796c1afba968a4fac736a77d.jpg

You guys have any or have any ideas of getting something to celebrate or remind you of your resolve to commit to sobriety?

Cybit

Oct 25, 2017
God dammit. I'm drinking as I type this post.

I can't stop. Without an external motivator like a girl I like, I have no motivation not to get smashed and forget everything. But nobody will ever love me like this. The wheel of destruction.

Man... I'm so pathetic.

Edit: this is why you don't post when drunk lol

<hug> AA has been what has worked for me - if there are support groups I'd try doing that. Having a social network to go out and do things and not feel (as) ashamed around people because we've all done the same shit is unbelievably helpful. Just worry about going one day.

Hit 2 years on Saturday. A little crazy. Life gets hard as much, don't get me wrong - but I don't mess it up AS much as I used to, lol. But there's something about being able to go to Comic Con, alone (as a massive extrovert / borderline CoDA), in downtown, during St Patrick's Day, and not being tempted to drink is fucking crazy. As well as the self-awareness to leave a few hours in because I feel myself getting weird. Craziness.

EDIT: Just realized that my cousin's wedding (which I have to travel for) is a day after my ex and I's anniversary. Which is the thing I blew up the hardest (and the hardest thing for me to deal with, still, 2 years later) with my disease. Fuck. That's gonna suck.

Last edited:

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
You guys have any or have any ideas of getting something to celebrate or remind you of your resolve to commit to sobriety?

My reminder is my badge count on the Stop Drinking subreddit. Currently stands at 658. I don't look at it daily like in the first few months, but every once in a while I do look and I feel proud. For the general population, being sober is not the kind of thing to be proud of, but it is for me, because I know my sobriety is what will enable my dreams to come true, like owning a house or just be a better person overall.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Hope yall are doing well. I kinda fell off for sure. I been cycling on and off. I'll go a month or 2 with no alchy then I'll go out a few weekends and get smashed then take another break.
Lifting was my main thing I was doing to stay busy and feel great then a blew my elbow out and haven't been able to lift for about a month now and I'm having a few brew just about every day again. Fuck. The nice weather makes me want to drink all the time on patios and shit. I'm planning on taking another extended break here again soon. But its so damn hard in the summer.

Everyone doing well, keep it up.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
My reminder is my badge count on the Stop Drinking subreddit. Currently stands at 658. I don't look at it daily like in the first few months, but every once in a while I do look and I feel proud. For the general population, being sober is not the kind of thing to be proud of, but it is for me, because I know my sobriety is what will enable my dreams to come true, like owning a house or just be a better person overall.

That's awesome! So you're coming up 2 years soon? And yes you most certainly should be proud of yourself! That's a huge accomplishament!

But I know what you mean about the general population not being proud of it... for me, I don't go out of my way to tell people I used to be a drunk because, well, I'm ashamed of it, and it's quite frankly embarrassing. Instead, if that topic does come up (however extremely rare) I will frame it by saying how long I've been sober, not that I used to have a drinking problem. This puts a positive spin on it and makes me feel proud of myself rather than ashamed or embarrassed. I guess the tattoo idea is the same thing, but this way, maybe I can inspire others with my story (because people will always be asking me what it means) to make necessary changes in their lives, and hopefully make the world a little bit bette of a place.

Cheers to 2 years friend! Come back and post your milestone when you hit it, maybe it will inspire others to do the same :)

Hope yall are doing well. I kinda fell off for sure. I been cycling on and off. I'll go a month or 2 with no alchy then I'll go out a few weekends and get smashed then take another break.
Lifting was my main thing I was doing to stay busy and feel great then a blew my elbow out and haven't been able to lift for about a month now and I'm having a few brew just about every day again. Fuck. The nice weather makes me want to drink all the time on patios and shit. I'm planning on taking another extended break here again soon. But its so damn hard in the summer.

Everyone doing well, keep it up.

"Pain is temporary, it may last a minute, an hour, or even a year. Eventually, however, it will subside, and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Eric Thomas

It's never too late my dude. When I started lifting again a couple years ago I hurt so bad and pulled so many muscles that I had to take multiple weeks off at a time. But I always came back and I never gave up trying, no matter how many days I had taken off. I applied the same attitude with drinking, dieting, school, everything. And I'm here to tell you, one of the keys is to keep trying no matter how many tries it takes.

Don't think about forever.

Just get through today. Tomorrow when you wake up, just worry about getting through that day and so on. Eventually your actions will become more routine and habitual. One day you'll look back at how far you've come and see that you've run so long and so far that you don't want to turn back, so you'll keep going, and going, and going. But first, you gotta get back on the bike, push through the pain and try again.

Good luck my friend! Come back and post updates, I know it's inspiring and supportive for me and I'm sure it is for others as well. :)