• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
If you can't handle paper straws, then please don't use any. Plastic straws may be better for you, but they really suck in the environnment.

In just the U.S. alone, one estimate suggests 500 million straws are used every single day. One study published earlier this year estimated as many as 8.3 billion plastic straws pollute the world's beaches.

plastic-pollution-greenpeace-680wide.jpg

x-2.jpg

***WARNING: Graphic Content & Inappropiate/ Strong Language!***

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
inb4 "but what about the disabled I am very woke"
You know there can be exceptions and/or they can have their own straw if need be.
Fuck straws.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the extent of this thread? Just a couple of pictures and no linked sources?

C'mon OP. This issue is important, give your own thread the respect it deserves.

Oct 25, 2017
Up in Vancouver there's paper straws everywhere and nobody gives a fuck that they're paper
just use em if you gotta. fuck you if you cry bout it

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My nearest cafe just debuted some pretty solid paper straws. Much better than the paper straws I first encountered. For iced teas I eventually need to get away from even those straws, since it's still burning carbon to produce them.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Our cutlery drawer has a spot for stainless steel, silicone, and reusable plastic straws.

Paper straws are a fucking atrocity.

Having said that I think there are also a ton of issues with waste management and single use containers that are far more important than straws. Straws just became the easiest to point fingers at.

I mean, let's say you order a take out meal. You get a drink in a coated paper cup, with a plastic lid, and a plastic straw. Your food is in a single-use plastic container (that maybe you could wash and reuse, but most people are just putting it in the garbage), with single use plastic utensils, and depending on the restaurant it'll come in either a paper or a plastic bag. Somehow the straw seems like the least of the worries there.

Last edited:

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I've been to one place that used paper straws, and it was totally fine. I didn't notice any difference.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paper straws are pretty cool, imo.

People who need plastic deserve to have that option, but most people don't need straws or can do just fine with paper ones.

GK86

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you hate paper straws, then buy a metal one. They even sell them with their own little bag you can take around with you.

Deleted member 17810

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 29, 2017
From the exact same article that you are quoting OP....like the next paragraph.

Eight million tons of plastic flow into the ocean every year, and straws comprise just 0.025 percent of that.
Source

Are straws bad? Absolutely. But it does seem like a strangely tiny piece of the problem to latch on to.

Nobody gave a shit until that turtle video and most people probably still only care because of that turtle video.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like to cut my straw use but sometimes when I get a drink in a can or something it's just not clean enough to put it on my mouth

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Totally ok with paper straws.

For anyone who's disabled, have a small backup supply of plastic on hand. The short term goals shouldn't be all-or-nothing

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just hate accidently biting into certain kinds of paper straws they leave a weird sensation on my teeth.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I understand the need to stop using plastic straws, but the vast majority of paper straws are just a half-assed cost-cutting measure disguised as environmentalism.

Plenty of plastic straws alternatives that aren't paper. And personable/reusable straws just aren't practical, especially since half the population doesn't even carry a bag that would fit one of those giant reusable straws.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Disney World now. I hate them, they make my drinks taste weird. They get soggy and feel terrible in my mouth.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Source

Are straws bad? Absolutely. But it does seem like a strangely tiny piece of the problem to latch on to.

Nobody gave a shit until that turtle video and most people probably still only care because of that turtle video.
People don't care about anything until they are emotionally invested. It's a flaw of humanity, not a flaw of the problem.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind them at all. They get soggy after a bit but by then you've almost finished your drink, so whats the big deal?

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Single use plastics such as straws need to be outlawed worldwide. Anyone still partaking in their use, with the widespread knowledge we have of their destructive impact on the environment, needs to stop and reevaluate themselves. Stop killing the planet.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Plastic straws are bad and I'm glad we're moving towards alternatives but when it comes to sea life it's plastic netting that is so much more dangerous and more prevalent. I always worry about movements like this because we all know those people who do one thing like put cans in recycling bins and tell themselves they're doing their part.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Source

We can say that plastic is bad and must go til we are blue in the face, but realize this that paper is worse for the environment than plastic. Overall plastic is extremely light, thin(bags), and easy to make. Paper and other non plastic products are much heavier, which eat up a lot more fuel, are thicker(bags), which take up more space and thus more fuel. An paper and non plastic products take longer to make and typically have a much larger environmental footprint.

I understand the need to reduce plastic usage, but no one is going to pay higher prices to do so. Everyone bitches about the slave labor and in-humanitarian conditions our clothing manufacturers use to make cheap clothing but not many are paying the much higher prices for properly paid and worked clothing.

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with paper If my iced drink comes with a second one to switch with half way through before it starts falling apart.

I'm 100% a solution to rid of plastics if people are not recycling them.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Honestly, as middling as some of the present paper straw types are, it's more important that single-use plastics are abolished than we be comfortable with the type of disposable straw we use. It's hard to feel sympathetic to able-bodied folks complaining about alternative straws.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Let's get one thing straight. Paper straws suck to use, and there's never going to be a day where I carry around a straw everywhere I go.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've made multiple threads where all you do is post a video. Maybe dont call other users out on how they make threads

Your point being what? OP wants people to use paper straws and quotes an unlinked source for statistics. I'm simply asking OP to add more details to the thread.

Who cares what I post? It's not relevant to this thread. OP adding additional information IS relevant.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm fine with paper If my iced drink comes with a second one to switch with half way through before it starts falling apart.

I'm 100% a solution to rid of plastics if people are not recycling them.
That's still wasteful, do you not remember the three Rs of Recycling? Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Reduce your waste by Reusing a cup and reusable straw. Recycling is the last option.