• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
OLedRWy.jpg

Use this thread to ask questions, share impressions, or share/seek tips (including repair).

This controller is a beast, and it's the most flexible controller around. You will likely have to dip your toe into gradually learning the Steam Input's tricks and features even if you only use community configs. The controller is best when it's tweaked around your tastes and comfort, no matter how small the tweak. Only slapping on someone else's shoes will just feel weird and it may put you off.

This controller's touch pads and gyro settings (gyro assist, full gyro, gyro activation on certain conditions, etc.) have a bit of a learning curve, and it's best to stick with training when trying to learn how to use them. For example the only way I play Dragon Age Inquisition is with the left pad for movement. I'm adjusted to it now, but I didn't let myself go back. So I comfortably play with both pads with no need to hold a analog down, just touch. A third person game with platforming is good for learning the right pad, something with things to aim at and collect are good training grounds (my first game was Saints Row 4, it was perfect). What I do for sensitivity is have it so one slow horizontal swipe gets me close to 180, and two gets me close enough to the point I started from.

Steam Controller tip channels:
ExistentialEgg
Red Gaming

Steam Input Thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/steam-input-thread-comfy-couch-would-be-perfect-on-pc.36611/

Steam Controller Crash Course - Tutorial - New User Beginner's Guide (long video, no timestamps. It should give you an idea of solving problems with the flexibility of the controller + Steam Input)

For touch and radial menu icons you are able to include custom icons. Here is a guide on how to do so.

Place to icons.

Last edited:

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
This looks awesome, thanks for making this! I just got mine today, and it's easily one of the strangest controllers I've ever used. At the least, it's given me an appreciation for how newbies feel when they're handed a controller!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Some tips

Start with something you're comfortable with. If you're trying to put the trackpad to use, make sure it's something with good mouse support.

Give it time. There's a ton of new stuff packed into the hardware and software. It'll take time to learn how things work and how to use everything.

Community configs are good, but yours are better. The popular configs are usually old, and might miss on some pretty obvious things. Start with them, but edit them to make them fit your playstyle.

Ask questions. If you're having trouble with something, there's probably a solution out there to help.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a playlist full of short but sweet "Mastering the Steam Controller" videos.

1: Mastering the Steam Controller "What is the Wii Sports of the Steam Controller to help it click with people"
2: First Person Shooters
3: 2D Platformers
4: Atari Vault
5: RetroArch
6: Dolphin
7: PCSX2
8: DQP Teaches Typing
9: Desktop
10: PUBG

A old video, but a good informative watch.

Last edited:

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
So, my Steam controller just arrived. Setup was painless, but ... i really don't get the thing.

I tried firing up Portal 2 - a Valve game - so i expected this to be a FPS shooter that would have the "best" Steam Controller support, right? So i loaded up the pre-made config and ... it sucked?
Sensitivity on the right trackpad (the R-Stick equivalent) was waaaay too low, i had to swipe like 8 times to do a 180. Same for the Gyro aiming.
Now, increasing the Sensitivity for the right trackpad is a huge (or let's say bigger than needed) hassle, as it happens in a separate window, outside of the game.

So i figured i'd try a platformer - I fired up Mark of the Ninja, and i didn't like how that played, either. The Face buttons being at the 'wrong' place is super irritating, the controls are mapped to the shoulder buttons and the paddles, but those aren't shown on screen.

What i really do find impressive is how easy it is to navigate windows with the controller, cursor controls, scrolling, typing - works super nicely, but for anything that has 'proper' controller support, i don't see myself going for this over any of the 3 console controllers.

Please, let me know if i'm doing anything wrong here...
I'll check out those videos posted by Ploid 6.0 in the meantime...

Also, the fact that the right 'stick' is a trackpad really fucks with my brain. Because, even though i play inverted on regular analog sticks, it still feels more natural to swipe down for looking down...

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
User Warned: drive-by trolling
Discontinued failed controller that almost everybody hates is bad? Didn't see that coming.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
So, my Steam controller just arrived. Setup was painless, but ... i really don't get the thing.

I tried firing up Portal 2 - a Valve game - so i expected this to be a FPS shooter that would have the "best" Steam Controller support, right? So i loaded up the pre-made config and ... it sucked?
Sensitivity on the right trackpad (the R-Stick equivalent) was waaaay too low, i had to swipe like 8 times to do a 180. Same for the Gyro aiming.
Now, increasing the Sensitivity for the right trackpad is a huge (or let's say bigger than needed) hassle, as it happens in a separate window, outside of the game.

So i figured i'd try a platformer - I fired up Mark of the Ninja, and i didn't like how that played, either. The Face buttons being at the 'wrong' place is super irritating, the controls are mapped to the shoulder buttons and the paddles, but those aren't shown on screen.

What i really do find impressive is how easy it is to navigate windows with the controller, cursor controls, scrolling, typing - works super nicely, but for anything that has 'proper' controller support, i don't see myself going for this over any of the 3 console controllers.

Please, let me know if i'm doing anything wrong here...
I'll check out those videos posted by Ploid 6.0 in the meantime...

Also, the fact that the right 'stick' is a trackpad really fucks with my brain. Because, even though i play inverted on regular analog sticks, it still feels more natural to swipe down for looking down...
You have to adjust to it the same way you'd have to adjust to using dual analog for the first time. Imagine if games didn't require dual analog to play and you could go back to one analog with lock on targeting like the old days, everyone would just stick to the old way and not really put up with dual analog.

Stick with Portal, try finishing the whole game with only the steam controller. You can go back to your normal way of playing games for any other game but make a goal to finish portal. Wii had Wii Sports, Valve Index have VR only games, but now they have Alyx soon. Dual Analog had Timesplitters 1 and 2, Halo, etc. There was no game specifically made to go with Steam Controller, the nature of the controller is to be able to play so many ways, and to adjust to the player. Sensitivity is too high? Lower it. Jump is on a button that you don't feel comfortable reaching for? Put it on a easily accessible button. You wonder if you can make a whole slide attack action that usually require two buttons into one button press? The answer is yes, but I'm sure you knew that (if you spend a lot of time watching existentialegg and know what a lot of Steam Input features are).

When I got my controller I knew for the best results I had to adjust and get comfortable with at least the touch pad. I played many games with it never stopping. I then wondered if I could do certain things in games that were difficult on normal mouse and keyboard like animation canceling in Blade and Soul. I was still learning the controller in this video. Still wondering if I should just use track pad or straight up gyro to select items in my inventory, or to control the cursor in general.

The main thing is it requires a lot of strap tightening to get things comfortable for you. For each new game, I play it a little with a default template, or one that looks good (not just votes since those are usually way too old and not updated), pause and shift buttons around, do my routine of getting mouse look sensitivity right for me (slow swipe left to right, adjusting sensitivity until I can do 180 in one swipe, and 360 or close enough in two), and other things. I usually play until I need a button or ability that isn't mapped and find a good spot for it, action layers, activators, and action sets provide all the space I'd need, even for a mmorpg with a ton of buttons.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this pop up on the Steam Controller reddit and thought some would benefit from reading it here too if they are considering making use of gyro aim, because with Steam Input the Steam Controller, DS4, and Switch controller all PC games can use gyro.

On my old Steam Controller I couldn't depend on gyro because it drifted a lot unless I get it to stop after a calibration, but I'd have to calibrate it too often and even after doing it it wouldn't fix it for sure. The new controller seem to drift slower so maybe it's something going on with my PC but it's an workable amount.

After reading the below I gave always on gyro a shot, with touch pad to recenter myself or to do sweeping quick turns, and it's amazing how easy it is to track thing in the heat of battle. In Warframe, in air bullet gliding tracking things that that I zoom right by with gyro as if I've been doing this all my life. It's very natural feeling. Though I have been practicing gyro aiming/cursor pointing since I had the first controller, just not as the main source of aiming.

"How to Use (And Think About) Gyro Aiming -- From the Perspective of Someone with 1000+ Hours Gyro Experience with Splatoon 1&2 and the Steam Controller Alone.
Seeing how this sub finds himself in a weird position of rebirth/renaissance mixed with the atmosphere of a mourning community at a funeral, let me provide you my perspective on Gyro Aiming, the most enticing, amazing and misunderstood feature on any controller, but especially in the 'unguided' environment of the Steam Controller Customisation UI.​
I've been a fan and proponent of gyro aiming ever since I aimed better in Killzone: Mercenary multiplayer -- a shooter on the Vita -- than in any PS4 CoD. And ever since Nintendo adopted Gyro Aiming as a main tool, most prominently in Splatoon, I can't play without it unless it's with a mouse.​
Splatoon is not a game marketed towards hardcore gamers and grizzled FPS veterans. It works both as a 'gateway drug' to shooter games and as a place where people can compete in the ranked modes. It uses gyro aiming as a default control method, so even Nintendo believes in the ease of access of that control method.​
It is great, any you can be great at it in no time. As long as you realise one key thing:​
Do not think of the gyro as a mouse replacement, nor as a tool to fine tune your aim with the touchpad, but that the touchpad and gyro do two completely different tasks: touchpad is there for quick turns, the gyro for tracking, flicking and 'aiming' in general. If you use a low mouse sens you should know what I mean, since your arm movement is there for the large macro-turns whereas the wrist is where most of your actual target acquisition is accomplished. On a mouse, that all happens with the same input device (the mouse), whereas with the SC you want to dedicate each input to each type of movement. In other words, your trackpad 'becomes' the arm and the gyro the wrist.​
This 'division of labour' makes it work so well, but is also the biggest hurdle to overcome when getting used to it, since you now need two input methods to achieve what you intuitively do in one motion with a mouse. Splatoon works the same way, which is why it disabled the Y-Axis on the stick completely when you use motion aiming: You're only supposed to turn on the X-Axis with that thing, not aim with it. I do the same thing on the SC, as there's a slider called Friction Vertical Scale that makes it so that any kind of faster movement on the touchpad will lower or disable any Y-Axis input while still allowing movement on the Y-Axis to happen for menus or if you need to recenter the crosshair.​
If anyone is curious about my Steam Controller setup for most games, here is my recipe:​
Put yourself at any point in-game and configure a touchpad sensitivity that allows you to quickly and consistently turn 180°. Then, pick any two objects in the game world and position yourself in such a way that they are more or less exactly on the edges of your screen/FoV, and configure your gyro sens in such a way that you can comfortably and consistently move between those two objects quickly. Now, you should have a good sens for any movement within about 45-50° in either direction from the middle of the screen with the gyro that you can aim at with comfortable wrist movement, which is where most of the action will take place. Anything within 5-25° outside that FoV can be hit by more pronounced wrist movement (even bigger movement than that is possible in the worst case, of course) and anything beyond that with the trackpad.​
The rest is all about getting comfortable with combining both forms of aim."​

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Having the controller for a few days now, this thing is buttery smooth and a joy to use. Playing Destiny 2 and Slime Rancher with it currently.

It's the sort of innovation that I imagine would have stuck if Nintendo had been the one behind it, truthfully. It's a shame more people don't own these.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
At least Nintendo fans got Epic Games to allow their controller to use gyro. The PS4 version of Fortnite probably probably doesn't have gyro support I bet. They also got gyro aiming in Warframe on the Switch version. Nintendo fans don't play around.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Having the controller for a few days now, this thing is buttery smooth and a joy to use. Playing Destiny 2 and Slime Rancher with it currently.

It's the sort of innovation that I imagine would have stuck if Nintendo had been the one behind it, truthfully. It's a shame more people don't own these.

At least Nintendo has gyro and people seem to love that. Valve didn't push it that hard when the controller was available, but people on PC seem to love it too.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the best way to use this thing on a non steam game? I am trying to use it with the uplay version of assassins creed: odyssey. I can get it to work, but the standard configuration it takes sucks ass for that game. And I can't just go look for a better configuration from the community like i did for hitman 2 since it is not a steam game. Is there a way to still browse the community configurations for non-steam versions of games?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

It's a bug with Portal 2. Valve knows and is going to fix it soon. For now, you have to increase the sensitivity in the config.

So what is the best way to use this thing on a non steam game? I am trying to use it with the uplay version of assassins creed: odyssey. I can get it to work, but the standard configuration it takes sucks ass for that game. And I can't just go look for a better configuration from the community like i did for hitman 2 since it is not a steam game. Is there a way to still browse the community configurations for non-steam versions of games?

If you name it correctly, you should get configs from people who also bought the Uplay version. If you want configs from people who picked it up on Steam, you have to rename the shortcut to the AppID (the string of numbers from the Store URL).

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bug with Portal 2. Valve knows and is going to fix it soon. For now, you have to increase the sensitivity in the config.

If you name it correctly, you should get configs from people who also bought the Uplay version. If you want configs from people who picked it up on Steam, you have to rename the shortcut to the AppID (the string of numbers from the Store URL).

Ok, so i would assume people on steam would have the most/best configs, but that would mean i would have to have a random ass looking number in my steam list then?

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What I do is name the game the way it is on Steam. For Witcher 3, linking it to steam with no change calls it "witcher3", to get the community settings change it to "The Witcher 3" and you see everyone's configs. Appid is just another way, maybe it's a way to get even more configs if a game's name is changed from a update or something I guess.

I also keep a link to the controller configs folder and move them around. Steam\userdata\78102902\241100\remote\controller_config

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Idk why this controller works better for me on Linux than on Windows... well, sort of. I'm using the same configuration for HL2 on both OS's (the top community config) and for some reason the trackpad feels better on Linux, however, I cannot see the mouse cursor on any of the main menus.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
A success story, what this user learned was using community profiles was a detriment for them since they had to learn how to use the controller while learning the complex configs as well. So if you're having a time trying to get the hang of the controller while using community configs, maybe try what worked here.

"It finally clicked!!

So I've had a steam controller for around 3-4 months and tried multiple times to get used to it but just never could get comfortable with it and would always go back to m/kb.​
It turns out that using community profiles was messing me up, not only was I learning the ropes of a game but also constantly having to learn what that profile was doing and what button did what, let's not even go into how complicated it can be to figure out somebody else's action sets/layers.​
So I sat down and made a profile of my own for Star Wars The Old Republic (a completely m/kb only game) and I'm in love with the controller. I have full control over my quickbar, radial menus are amazing especially with customisable icons for each action and action layers are so powerful. Toggling the right touchpad to between camera control and cursor control is so smooth.​
Playing SWTOR on my 55" OLED with surround sound while chilling on the sofa is an experience I can't even really explain! Its much more comfortable then being sat at my desk for hours on end.​
ExistentialEgg and his videos really helped but my advice to anybody is to make your own profile rather than using a premade one and you will see just how powerful this controller is, take your time configuring it and tweaking it as you play."​
--------------------------------​
--------------------​

Last edited:

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Yes it's good to look at other people's ideas but everyone should start at a baseline that's easy enough to start playing and then keep thinking of different bindings while you play that could make the game easier and more comfortable to play. Then make changes on the fly as you go.
That's how I got hooked and I've thought of game control schemes in a much more detailed and understanding way ever since.