• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your expected use case of the PS5 disc drive

• High = Disc drive will be in full use

Votes: 1,233 40.9%
  • Medium = Disc drive will be in good use

Votes: 823 27.3%
  • Low = Disc drive will be in seldom use

Votes: 433 14.3%
  • Super low = I am not sure I even need the disc version of the PS5

Votes: 529 17.5%

• Total voters

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's probably going to get used less and less as time goes on as on my PS4 I've started buying more digitally.

In the UK it's usually still cheaper to buy physical games compared to digital, I've started buying PSN wallet credit from places like CDkeys and ShopTo which is cheaper and closes the gap on physical prices but there will still be some games I buy physical due to price difference.

It's also nice to have the option to buy used games and the 4K BluRay player is a nice bonus too.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly when I bought the Collector's Edition of Ghost of Tsushima and put in the disc I was wondering when the last time was I put in an actual disc into my PS4. I honestly can't remember - AC Odyssey I guess?

So yeah, minimal use, if any.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Low. More than likely only PS4 games I have on disc and UHD/blu-rays.

Not being locked out of any possible physical deals that are too good to pass up doesn't hurt either.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll buy one for similar reasons OP listed. I have a few PS4 games on disc that I haven't even played or will want to play on PS5.
And although the majority of my gaming purchases are digital there are sometimes great deals for disc based games, especially short after launch, long before a given game goes on sale digitally. So I won't use it often but I will definitely use it.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'd say medium. I'll most likely buy every single PS5 game on digital, but I have tons of Blu-Rays and physical PS4 games, so I'll make use of it.

B1ggRandall

Oct 27, 2017
98% of my games are digital! But I still wanna have that option to pick up a cheap PS5 game later! I might buy disc!

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Once I eventually get one, quite often. Digital Vs physical media pricing in the UK is still ridiculously disproportionate to the point where I'm hesitant to buy anything digitally unless they are on sale, not to mention all the physical PS4 games/Blu-Rays I have.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Full use. Physical games is still a big thing in my region. Also, I have some PS4 disks that I might want to play on PS5 thru backward compability.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Super low, to see if its still working. I don't even know if my Pro disk drive is working or not.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
If I decide to buy console since both companies has failed in persuading me to do so, a digital it is. I just think it's more convenient to buy games digital. The only concern I have is if I would want to sell the games, but man it's so nice having games not taking up space in my apartment. I'm right now looking at my boxes packed with xbox/ps2/ps3/gamecube and x360 games and there is no way I ever going back to owning physical copies.

But in the end it's about the price, if the price difference between a digital and non-digital edition ain't that big, I'd might reconsider my decision.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I have put myself for low, I have a few PS4 games on disc which I'm not converting into digital. I'm also leaning on getting the disc version because where I am some disc games are considerably cheaper on Amazon few months after release that the PSN store so having that option is worth it alone.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
Heeey! Genetrik! Komm ins Shock2-Forum, da war letzte Woche großes Revival! :D

@Topic: Disc version because 98% of my games are and will be still on disc. The hoarder in me demands it!

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I own somewhere around 250 PS4 games. Physically. I avoid buying games digitally unless they never get a physical release. So uh... probably a ton of use.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
For games? Almost zero time. For movies? Much more time. Sony's blu-ray playback has always been top notch and I expect this to be no different.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Most of my games will be bought digitally but I still have a sizeable physical ps4 collection. I also want to watch UHD blurays. Usually when I get gifts they are physical discs as well.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I can remove my UHD player from its spot.

That and I'll buy physical when it's available. So I'd say at least medium...

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Low, but I need to have a disc drive just in case. I'm not getting fooled by Sony's attempt to trick me into buying a "cheaper" console...

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Super low.

I am 80% leaning towards the all digital version. I still have BD discs in my storage with plastic wrapping around it and I bought these two years ago.

If anything the all digital PS5 version looks a lot better as well.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
It'll get used every time I buy a major game I guess,I'm not really planning on going digital yet.....I also have many PS4 games on disc.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Physical games are better for backloggery. Its so fun to collect. I buy more than i can play.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I would only consider it so that I could watch a movie/show on disc if that ever is a thing I want to do.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Probably most unless there's a shift this gen. I'm not a fan of the way Sony handles the digital library and region locks stores to an account, also their digital pricing is awful in the UK. I'd be surprised if the above changed but I sure hope it does, as I'm pretty much all digital on Switch and Xbox at this point yet all physical on PS.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I would use it as a UHD Blu-ray, BD and sure DVD player in addition to my PS4 and PS5 BDs.

95% of my PS4 games are all digital, but I would still like the option to use discs.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Like you said OP, "just to keep my options open". Every time I consider realistically what I want and need out of this console, a disc drive isn't really on the list. But the moment I imagine NOT having one, I start to get anxious. Hahahaha

Like, "What if I want to watch (the ONE ultra HD blu-ray I own) Blade Runner 2049?
What if I want to play, um, Farpoint (the ONE physical VR game I own but never touch), the only reason I own this stupid PS Aim gun?? What if I want to......... reactivate my GameFly subscription??? And physically rent a game I'm not particularly psyched for and probably won't have the time to play??? WHAT IF????"

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using the drive less and less with the PS4 and mostly waiting for sales on PSN before buying digital but I like to have options!

Vervain

Oct 27, 2017
Might just be a thing here in Australia, but physical games are almost always 30+% off at launch compared to their digital versions.

When your choice is spending ~$70 or $100, the physical copy is going to win out nearly every time (for me anyway).

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Probably as much as I use my PS4: rarely, and only for first-party games. My PlayStation will be for single-player exclusives. I tend not to replay SP games, so I generally get them on disc. Once completed, I either send them to one of my longtime Xbox buddies or, occasionally, I will sell them on eBay.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly? I'm only getting the disc version So I can play my imported SRW games and hopefully any future SRW games. So probably will use it once or twice every couple of years.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
Full use, baby. While I like the convenience of playing the game instantly without putting in the disc, I like collecting aspect more than that.

FootieGamer

Nov 3, 2017
All the time. Physical games are cheaper on launch than on the PS store, in the UK at least. Until this changes I will predominantly buy discs.

Bazz Bazz

Feb 5, 2020
All my favourite games are in disc with steelbook at home.
Hope to keep the same habit for the next gen.

This is why I'm frustrated by digital only.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I don't want to limit my options, so whether I use the disc drive often or not is irrelevant. I doubt I'll be going full digital any time soon, so I'm getting the thick PS5.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Digital prices in Japan are still way to ridiculous and I prefer to buy games physical with the slightly discounted MSRP (still more than $60~ that most regions are used to paying) so I will be going with the disc version for sure.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can usually get physical games for £10-£20 cheaper for day 1 purchases so physical is always how I get new releases.

Only time I go digital is if its digital only or its a game I have held off on getting and it's on sale at a great price.

Also plan to use it for 4K Blu Rays since I have 4 I have bought recently in anticipation.