• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

catdafelix

Oct 28, 2017
As KeRaSH mentioned. If somebody purchases after midnight their local time zone. Does the store list have a separate SKU than what we have seen. If you did purchase after midnight can you download the PS5 digital version proper? I should have waited until after midnight local to purchase.

I've been following twitter with RGGStudio, SEGA and AskPlayStation through out the night. It's after 7:00pm in Tokyo and Europe is in the AM. I'm not sure if PlayStation keeps a skeleton crew on twitter all night and I figure they are based in the EST time zone. I'm also wondering if this is a PlayStation store issue or if Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio or Sega needs to change something. If it's Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, it's late in Japan right now.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I bought digital last year, have the PS4 & PS5 version listed. If I download it, it seems to be downloading to my PS4 extended storage so I'm assuming this is the PS4 version and PS5 isn't triggering?

(Otherwise, I don't really get why I couldn't move my save game from PS4 to PS5 as it would be the same version.)

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that standard practice? Every cross-gen title I've seen has this name, or at least internally.
I feel like this naming is totally typical. I see it on most games that have a PS5 version when I need to download them.

I'm just going by the App and if I compare it to the Control Ultimate Edition it does not say "PS4 & PS5" while Yakuza definitely does so it doesn't seem consistent across all games.

/edit: Same thing on the web store.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
They cant do it because of PSVR. PSVR only Work on PS5 with PS4 Versions of Games. With "Smart Delivery" yup cant choose what Version you use on a XSX.
They can definately do it, and have the game only use the VR assets. If you had PS5 and a game that uses VR, smart delivery would download your specific console resources as well as the VR resources, which it has detected that you have authorised in the settings or something. If you dont have VR installed it wouldnt download that. Thats about how it could work.

Its basically like how Apple phones download the right version of your game or app from the App Store depending on what phone you have. You dont have to specify thats its a 7, 8, or 12. But they dont have a name for it, or marketing term, but something they just had to work out when looking at all of the devices that they had out there. Also from a customer point of view, it would pay off to try and make the process as smooth as possible.

In this case the playstation store would have detected your console and downloaded the correct version of Yakuza 7 without you having to choose from any SKU.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
As KeRaSH mentioned. If somebody purchases after midnight their local time zone. Does the store list have a separate SKU than what we have seen. If you did purchase after midnight can you download the PS5 digital version proper? I should have waited until after midnight local to purchase.

I've been following twitter with RGGStudio, SEGA and AskPlayStation through out the night. It's after 7:00pm in Tokyo and Europe is in the AM. I'm not sure if PlayStation keeps a skeleton crew on twitter all night and I figure they are based in the EST time zone. I'm also wondering if this is a PlayStation store issue or if Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio or Sega needs to change something. If it's Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio, it's late in Japan right now.

I've contacted PS support locally too. Hopefully we can get a resolution soon as I have been looking forward to playing this game since its initial release last year. Fuckery that could have been avoided dampens that considerably.

OP
OP
MGPanda

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I'm just going by the App and if I compare it to the Control Ultimate Edition it does not say "PS4 & PS5" while Yakuza definitely does so it doesn't seem consistent across all games.

/edit: Same thing on the web store.
It's most likely an internal thing then. If you check PSPrices, most cross-gen titles and DLC have that naming convention, or something similar. It's either that or a regional thing.
clEGxh5.png

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's most likely an internal thing then. If you check PSPrices, most cross-gen titles and DLC have that naming convention, or something similar. It's either that or a regional thing.
clEGxh5.png
Ha, so the only crossgen game that I own and actually checked (Control) is the only outlier.
Yeah, the other games say the same thing on my end as well.
I apologize Sega, Sony was the culprit again...

Mrfb17

Senior Designer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, United Kingdom
So do we have actual steps yet to get the PS5 version or not?
I'm just getting the standard Ps4 + Ps5 version (Which I assume is cross gen)

Edit -Disc users insert disc then on the right there is an image that says 'Free Upgrade' that then allows the download

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Should I just buy the disc version from amazon? It arrives tomorrow and is cheaper. Hmm.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
They cant do it because of PSVR. PSVR only Work on PS5 with PS4 Versions of Games. With "Smart Delivery" yup cant choose what Version you use on a XSX.

That's a good point, one I always forget about.

Plus having the option is nicer than having no option.I just wish there was a way to clean it up and present it better, and also iron out the weird issues. Some uniformity in the way crossplatform games are shown in the store and the way they are downloaded would be nice too.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sigh great. Have to wait months for it to show on PS5 and then when it finally does they can't even get the upgrade set up on time (for digital owners it seems anyway).
Not that it seems I'm gonna get too far into it as I've been wanting to finish 3-6 before it.

Oct 25, 2017
Woke up this morning HYPED to finally get that sweet PS5 upgrade for my PS4 digital copy, and... oof.

Has this happened with other PS4 - > PS5 upgrades? I wonder how long we'll be waiting.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
Woke up this morning HYPED to finally get that sweet PS5 upgrade for my PS4 digital copy, and... oof.

Has this happened with other PS4 - > PS5 upgrades? I wonder how long we'll be waiting.

This is what is particularly irritating. Like yep we know the Sony fucked up the cross-buy thing and made it confusing overall, but other games like Control etc didn't have this problem. The biggest issue with every other game is basically just clicking the three dots and choosing PS5.

The radio silence is also not helping.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
So how do physical PS4 games that upgrade to PS5 SKU's work then?

Once you insert the PS4 disc and install the PS5 version (I know that you need to keep the disc inserted to play the PS5 version) does the OS try to auto install the PS4 version everytime you re-insert the disc? I know that was a bug but not sure if it was fixed
Any word on how it compares to the Series X version?
Identical

1440p/60 or 4k/30
Same load times

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
This is what is particularly irritating. Like yep we know the Sony fucked up the cross-buy thing and made it confusing overall, but other games like Control etc didn't have this problem. The biggest issue with every other game is basically just clicking the three dots and choosing PS5.

The radio silence is also not helping.

yeah, the radio silence from RGG Studio is baffling. Like say something already! About to request a refund.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The physical/disc version upgrade works fine. Wonder why the digital version is screwed up.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's definitely on Sega. Sony didn't force them to name their editions " ... PS4 & PS5".

Not sure if that's standard but I've seen some other cross gen games do the same thing.

It's bad because the "-PS4" seems to be automatically put on the PS4 version of a cross gen while PS5 is just the title.

I'll be happy when this cross gen period ends.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Total conjecture on my part: Sega releasing the upgrade in Japan with a small fee (totally normal) had applied the same process worldwide, except in the rest of the world there is no fee required, so they opted out that part of the process. Breaking the upgrade.

Control had something similar going on in Germany, where there was also an age restriction fee missing. It took a few days to rectify.

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
So just to be clear, this appears to happen, specifically, to people who either preordered or bought the PS4 version close to release. It seems like after a while, SEGA removed that version from the PS Store and added a "Yakuza: Like a Dragon PS4 & PS5" SKU, and that one actually does grant you the free PS5 upgrade, while the old one is stuck with just the PS4 version.
I'm not sure this is the issue. I bought the game yesterday at about 5pm US Central Time. At the time it was called

Yakuza: Like a Dragon Hero Edition PS4 & PS5 (Game) $69.99

And I'm not able to upgrade to the PS5.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons I waited for the PS5 physical was to hopefully avoid some of this bullshit.

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons I waited for the PS5 physical was to hopefully avoid some of this bullshit.
Where I think we all went wrong was buying the game prior to today. On US PSN, the game now shows icons for PS4 and PS5. I'm guessing if you bought the game digitally today, there would be no issue.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I think the western branch is publishing the game over here, at least an official "we're looking into it" would be nice.

Totally. This is what I mean. I don't mind waiting for them to troubleshoot. I work in product development so I understand these things happen, but a simple "we're aware of it and looking into it" goes a LONG way in cases like this.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think the western branch is publishing the game over here, at least an official "we're looking into it" would be nice.
Totally. This is what I mean. I don't mind waiting for them to troubleshoot. I work in product development so I understand these things happen, but a simple "we're aware of it and looking into it" goes a LONG way in cases like this.
it totally would- I agree! I just don't thing RGG Studio has a western branch. Give 'em a day at least, I think.

ITBEATS

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I'm all for not getting worked up over inconsequential things (especially with the current state of thew world) but no correspondence is kind of bullshit. Some acknowledgement at all even as a holding tactic is just... basic consumer PR.

The first thing the SEGA guy downthread did was get defensive and imply there was no issue, which also isn't a good look.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the physical version on PS5 and it started downloading a 43GB file and it says can't install after it got to 23GB. What is it downloading if I already have the physical disc and why can't it finish?

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
I got the physical edition and it installed fine, didn't download and install anything other than a small patch.

I also had no problems with the dlc I purchased other than the pachinko dlc which I had to download manually from the store rather than from manage game menu.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
So the ingame dlc like the legend pack that came with the ichi edition. I redeemed it on the ps app. does it not work on ps5?

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
So how do physical PS4 games that upgrade to PS5 SKU's work then?

Once you insert the PS4 disc and install the PS5 version (I know that you need to keep the disc inserted to play the PS5 version) does the OS try to auto install the PS4 version everytime you re-insert the disc? I know that was a bug but not sure if it was fixed

Identical

1440p/60 or 4k/30
Same load times
Thanks a lot.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I just put my PS4 disc in, immediately a PS5 version available announcement popped up, which brought me to the store, where the PS5 game was free to download.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
We literally had ToraShiro, SEGA's Yakuza brand manager in the west drop by the thread when it was all starting, lmao. They clearly are aware of the situation by this point.
Please forgive me for not reading the whole thread before writing a post. I agree with what they're asking for- I was just replying to a post that specifically asked for a response from RGG Studio (who are almost certainly all literally asleep at this moment).

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So the PS5 version still isn't downloading?

I'm one of the people that bought the "PS4 & PS5" version yesterday, but it was still only downloading the PS4 version then. Is that still the case right now?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I bought the digital PS4 version in December for my digital only PS5 and waited to play until today because of no cross-save. I would definitely appreciate transparency around when this will be fixed.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe they still haven't solved this. It's working for the disc version, so it shouldn't takes days to fix the digital one. Not a single word from Sony, Sega or RGG either.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing by the looks of it I'm not the only one having problems with this.

I hope a fix is made soon.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I just played it last year can't believe they delayed this for no reason then fucked up the release