• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well?

• Malenia, blade of Miquella

Votes: 582 39.9%
  • Isshin The Sword Saint

Votes: 513 35.2%
  • Kos, Orphan of Kos

Votes: 215 14.7%
  • Artorias of the Abyss

Votes: 13 0.9%
  • Manus

Votes: 30 2.1%
  • Demon of Hatred

Votes: 81 5.6%
  • Slave Knight Gael

Votes: 25 1.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Issin took my TWO nights of battling that freak. I think it was like 6 hours at it before I pulled the win.

Malenia took me two tries. It's a gigantic stark contrast to what Sekiro asks of the player. In Elden Ring you can power up like crazy and beat anything handily.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
This is how I feel when I see people complaining about Margit and Godrick. Midir took me DAYS. Co-op, no co-op. I think I wasted at least 30 embers on him lmao. Radahn and Guardian Ape are the only ones who got close to reaching that same frustration.
Yeah don't get me wrong, difficulty is subjective after all

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
It's not Malenia. Or any bosses from Elden Ring.

I'd go with Orphan or maybe Midir.
Reading Orphan comments is weird to me, im not anyting special at souls but i beat that at 10 or 15 tries i think, meanwhile other bosses that are considerd easy i got stuck on for hours.

Sekiro bosses are the hardest for me though, i managed or completed the rest but with Sekiro i just had to drop it.. Maybe some day

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Surprised at all the people saying Isshin can't be cheesed. There are definitely quite a few cheese strats for him ranging from spamming certain prosthetics to just baiting a particular move that is easily punishable to chip him down.

I think if you go straight melee Malenia is probably harder than Isshin for the mix of lifesteal, rot, flurry, clones, but tbh it's probably a coin toss. The games are so different it's kinda hard to compare.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
People trying to say "Isshin isn't hard the game gives you all the tools you need" live in an entirely different reality that normal people. That's such an asanine comment that completely ignores that it isn't just a "rhythm game" of hitting beats at a consistent tempo, it is reactionary reflexes.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't see From balancing anything until the DLC

Dark Souls 1 was functionally totally redesigned well before its DLC came out. They take drastic action where it is needed.

www.youtube.com

How I Got Through Dark Souls

IRON FLESH. Nothing better than a metal zombie (UPDATE: this was before it was nerfed).Support the channel here: https://www.patreon.com/terminalmontageThe a...

They also did things like reduced the soul gain from enemies by 90%

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Dark Souls 1 was functionally totally redesigned well before its DLC came out. They take drastic action where it is needed.

www.youtube.com

How I Got Through Dark Souls

IRON FLESH. Nothing better than a metal zombie (UPDATE: this was before it was nerfed).Support the channel here: https://www.patreon.com/terminalmontageThe a...
Oh, didn't know

Hopefully they nerf some of the bosses slightly and not only the abilities

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
this poll is missing The Nameless King, son of Gwyn from Dark Souls 3

that fight was a ****

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Can't wait to get to Malenia. The game's hyping it the fuck up.

For me it'll be hard to beat Ludwig. It's the only boss to take me multiple days.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Malenia is the hardest if you arent counting ashes. If you are counting those, then Demon of Hatred followed by Sword Saint.

I don't understand the "tools the game gives you" argument. Summoning is a tool and it's never been considered when ranking souls boss difficulty. The assumption is that you're fighting it yourself. And the only difference between summons and ashes is that ashes are better.

edit: As a disclaimer this isn't meant as a slight against anyone who uses ashes, I use them too when I've been stuck for a while. Just in the context of a "hardest bosses ever" thread I don't think it makes sense to include their usage.

They were standardized as basic tools to use for the first time. It feels like a different category at this point, especially with the summons here having an entire upgrade material path as well just like weapons. The game wants these to be upgraded and used, which at that point means sunmonless runs in this are not using basic tools within your inventory, whereas before it wasn't the same and had a downside to do. Ashes ARE just better than summons, but that's just the game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
None of the above.

Maybe the second Owl fight or Sister Friede. Or Defiled Chalice Amygdala.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Isshin is hard if you try him legit. I tried for like 2 days could never get the pattern.

Eventually looked up some cheese with the fire shield and beat him that way.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Malenia is kick in the teeth difficult even with Mimic Tear/bleed builds so I'd put her well above the likes of Orphan. There are normal enemies in Elden Ring's optional endgame areas that are harder than OOK lol.

Isshin is still the champ though IMO.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so Radahn is considered easy enough that he doesn't even get included in this list? Goddamn now I'm scared lol
I suppose it's cause with others you are overleveled relative to the rest of the game when you encounter the boss andnthy are hard.

With Radahn you are going to be underleveled health wise unless you really farmed. What makes him easieris that he has a cheese strategy and if you have a lot of health you can sort of tank him. But most players won't have that so he becomes annoyingly hard but entirely due to the gimmick bevause you have to travel so far and spend so much time summoning so as to get his aggro away.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Genichiro kicked my ass for a considerably longer time than Isshin, but I think that's because he was a "gateway" boss; after that, none of them gave me too much trouble once I learned how to deal with them. I though Isshin was hard, for sure, but he didn't seem altogether insurmountable. Orphan of Kos took me several hours and is probably the longest time I've spent dealing with any single Souls boss, but Artorias was close, and I definitely spent a couple nights bashing my head in trying to beat him. Demon of Hatred and Manus were comparatively (the operative word here) easy; Nameless King gave me more trouble than either, easily.

Malenia is... a weird one. I went in with Mimic Tear +10 and Sword of Night and Flame +10 and still had a decent bit of trouble with her until I respec'd to give myself 45 Vigor (health matters a LOT in Elden Ring). I didn't spend more than a few hours on her or anything but considering how thoroughly I demolished almost every other boss in the game, it's pretty insane that she was that hard. I can't imagine how tough it would be with other builds, especially defensive/shield focused characters.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
People trying to say "Isshin isn't hard the game gives you all the tools you need" live in an entirely different reality that normal people. That's such an asanine comment that completely ignores that it isn't just a "rhythm game" of hitting beats at a consistent tempo, it is reactionary reflexes.
Isshin doesn't do anything different to Genichiro really.
If you managed to beat one I don't see why the other should give much trouble.

Like I'm genuinely puzzled by people finding Isshin to be some insurmountable wall.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Malenia but because of that literal one attack.

I tried to help so many people beat her and the host always dies to the exact same attack every single time.

That attack relies both on too much perfection and luck to survive or building your character in a very specific way to counter it (which even then lol cause of the health regen)

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Isshin doesn't do anything different to Genichiro really.
If you managed to beat one I don't see why the other should give much trouble.

Like I'm genuinely puzzled by people finding Isshin to be some insurmountable wall.
Genichiro didn't have 4 phases. Besides which I'm not even sure why you would say that, aside from a couple of moves they don't have the same moveset.

And it's not like Genichiro was easy either, so a harder version of a boss with more phases, who does more damage and has more health of a boss that is already considered very difficult, is not "easy."

I mean it's a joke. If you're saying Isshin is "easy" then your opinion is literally worthless in this discussion because you have no frame of reference for what difficulty is. "You have all the tools" in every game you play.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Malenia but because of that literal one attack.

I tried to help so many people beat her and the host always dies to the exact same attack every single time.

That attack relies both on too much perfection and luck to survive or building your character in a very specific way to counter it (which even then lol cause of the health regen)
I can dodge that attack everyone mentions perfectly but I still die in the second phase because she heals more than I deal

Oct 25, 2017
for me, it has to be NG+ Ludwig from the Bloodborne DLC. I know there are technically harder fights, but its the one I got stuck on for the longest. I really like the fight though, and it was such a moment when I finally overcame the second phase.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bruh, seeing top choice in poll fucking scares me considering my top tier list (and also top 'get gud' bosses) personally are (from least to most git gud) Maria -> Orphan - > Isshin

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
It's still Father Gascoigne for me. You can cheese the blood starved beast, but Father really tests you. I think that's still the From boss I've died to the most.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Played every game except Bloodborne and haven't gotten to Melenia yet

That said my pick is Radahn. Because I felt like I was losing not just because I wasn't good enough but because the summons are on a rigged lotto system on whether they die instantly or actually put in work. To be fair I did face him underleveled, I went to Caelid right after Limgrave.

Neki

Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've read in elden ring thread regarding bosses so far

Use moonveil it's cheese
Use bleed it's cheese
Use sword of ice and night it's cheese
Use magic it's cheese
Use bloody slash it's cheese
Use hoarfrost axe it's cheese
Use spirit ashes it's cheese
Use respeccing it's cheese

Am I missing any other cheese in elden ring people use to beat bosses?

I've only played Elden Ring so I can only say Malenia for me.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Genichiro didn't have 4 phases. Besides which I'm not even sure why you would say that, aside from a couple of moves they don't have the same moveset.

And it's not like Genichiro was easy either, so a harder version of a boss with more phases, who does more damage and has more health of a boss that is already considered very difficult, is not "easy."

I mean it's a joke. If you're saying Isshin is "easy" then your opinion is literally worthless in this discussion because you have no frame of reference for what difficulty is. "You have all the tools" in every game you play.
The actual animations are different but it's still just parry, jump, lightning reversal. There's no unique mechanics to the fight or anything.
And yeah he has four phases but if you are actually playing the game properly and being aggressive, parrying etc then it's still not a long drawn out fight. His stagger gauge empties really quickly.

I personally would just consider a multitude of bosses from DS3 and Bloodborne to be harder than him. And probably even some other bosses from Sekiro itself.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I'm looking forward to Malenia as 40 hours into Elden Ring, the bosses have been really disappointing tbh.

And since I haven't got to her yet, I would say Isshin easily because it is very tough but also just so much fun to really get into that fight too.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Surprised at all the people saying Isshin can't be cheesed. There are definitely quite a few cheese strats for him ranging from spamming certain prosthetics to just baiting a particular move that is easily punishable to chip him down.

I think if you go straight melee Malenia is probably harder than Isshin for the mix of lifesteal, rot, flurry, clones, but tbh it's probably a coin toss. The games are so different it's kinda hard to compare.

This might sound bizarre, but I don't WANT to cheese Isshin. I know that I could just run around and punish any openings, but that doesn't feel right to me.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so Radahn is considered easy enough that he doesn't even get included in this list? Goddamn now I'm scared lol
He's annoying as fuck and took me more attempts than most other bosses in the game but I still don't think of him as hard, if that makes sense.

They were standardized as basic tools to use for the first time. It feels like a different category at this point, especially with the summons here having an entire upgrade material path as well just like weapons. The game wants these to be upgraded and used, which at that point means sunmonless runs in this are not using basic tools within your inventory, whereas before it wasn't the same and had a downside to do. Ashes ARE just better than summons, but that's just the game.
Yeah that's 100% fair. Unfortunately I just don't think the bosses play very well with ash summons. BUT I also used mimic so... I should probably just play an NG round with different ashes.

Use moonveil it's cheese
Use bleed it's cheese
Use magic it's cheese

You raise a good point, there's no single difficulty.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The actual animations are different but it's still just parry, jump, lightning reversal. There's no unique mechanics to the fight or anything.
And yeah he has four phases but if you are actually playing the game properly and being aggressive, parrying etc then it's still not a long drawn out fight. His stagger gauge empties really quickly.

I personally would just consider a multitude of bosses from DS3 and Bloodborne to be harder than him. And probably even some other bosses from Sekiro itself.
I'm not saying he has to be crowned the most difficult boss (there's plenty of other souls bosses I haven't beaten too, mostly because I rarely play the dlc, but also manual+ancient dragon are two more I can think of, or Demon of Hatred without the cheese method), I'm saying anyone who thinks Isshin isn't hard are wilding.

Then people have to clarify it with weird statements about how it's easy like a rhythm game, or easy once you learn the mechanics (which is hilarious because everyone seems to nod and agree when you fight Genichiro you can't win until you "learn the game," but apparently a lot of us forgot the game between him and Isshin). Apparently I wasn't playing it "properly" when I beat Genichiro, or the Guardian Apes. It's "easy" if you just know how to parry, dodge, and attack. Guess what? So is literally every game ever made. The hardest optional content in Kingdom Hearts, DMC, Souls, Elden Ring? It's easy. It's literally just button inputs. I can't believe anyone has voted for any option in this poll, the games give you the tools to beat all those bosses.

When people make comments like this it's totally out of touch with the experiences of players. I'm proud of how good I did in that game. I learned its systems, I was exhilarated by my victories. When other people diminish my experience by saying anyone who failed to beat the final boss didn't learn how to play the game, they're completely out of touch and just showing off the classic "git gud" mentality that makes certain souls players such a joke. The fight is challenging and anyone who disputes it apparently can't recognize that its intention is to be monumentally challenging it's apparently completely oblivious to game design. Because there's a 0% chance Miyazaki made that fight and earnestly told himself, "Yeah, that's pretty easy." No, his ethos is literally to challenge people into overcoming incredible odds, not have a subset of his fanbase mock others for going through his designed experiences.

And it's obviously not just in discussion around Isshin this is an issue. I just think the most unfriendly thing in souls games isn't its brutal difficulty, it's good players that diminish others accomplishments. Like I've seen a lot of people express these sentiments:

Use moonveil it's cheese
Use bleed it's cheese
Use magic it's cheese

and it sucks for the players that are USING the tools they're given and getting through tough situations, and instead of being celebrated they're derided for their methods. Or told it isn't difficult to begin with. It's absolutely meant to be difficult to begin with, and Miyazaki is absolutely aware of the tools the player has to their disposal, including for things like "pulling" enemies. I pulled both Tree Sentinels and had a blast, but I'm still proud of anyone that took one then the other lol.

Apr 24, 2018
I came up just short of getting to Sword Saint Isshin, but did get my ass handed to me horrendously by Demon of Hatred. Noped out of that fight after just a couple of tries, which is extremely rare for me, and never looked back. I barely did any damage to his first health bar/orb AND HE HAD THREE!

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
No bullshit broken weapons, spells and abilities in a straight 1v1 melee fight, it's easily Malenia.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Isshin is the by far the hardest if you play without using the L1 and R1 buttons (default control mapping, anything else is cheating)

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Use moonveil it's cheese
Use bleed it's cheese
Use magic it's cheese

That's like 8 out of hundreds of abilities/spirits/weapons/spells. There's always going to be broken things with how much variety the game has. The thing is there's lots of decent things out there but the top 10 are so so good and abusing them is too good to pass up.

Unless From soft just wants the majority to keep using these things because they have a higher completion ratio they're going to have to do a balance patch

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Demon of Hatred
Had a harder time with him than I did Isshin who went down in two tries

Fuck this boss lol. Took me 3 days but I think only like 3 hours. People talking about spending 6 hours or something on a boss is nuts to me. If you can't win after a few hours (!), you might be under leveled / under prepared...

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Nameless King should replace Artorias, he's not difficult at all in comparison to the rest of these (that I've seen)

Nameless King is bullshit annoying.