• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Both had mediocre first entries into the big boys' league, but Ready at Dawn's next entry Lone Echo stands at 89% on Metacritic. So, perhaps Bend also gets it right next time?

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Scores in the 70s being called bad is the exact reason why publishers breath down developers necks so much.

70 ISN'T BAD, LIKE 60 ISN'T

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I suppose I compare it to the other
PlayStation AAA exclusives, I might have set a higher standard because of that.

Maybe also people say average and others say bad
Then you need to get your expectations in check. Bend is a small studio and Days Gone is their first attempt at an AAA game. Given what they've done with the game is pretty damn impressive. As long as it sells well, I think they have a pretty good shot at being another heavy hitting Sony studio.

Also, in what world is a 7/10 bad?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Haha Yea, no.i don't agree .ur entitled to ur opinion though.

It was a joke at mocking the modern review scale.

As I see it:
6/10= bad
7/10= mediocre (Days Gone)
8/10= good
9/10= great
10/10= excellent (the BotWs, God of Wars and RDR2s)

Honestly I still don't like that. Since it leaves out a lot of nuance. And if every that is 6 and below is bad than what's even the point of the full 10 scale if half is irrelevant.

SlimeKnight

Jan 2, 2018
"Bad" seems harsh but mediocre and bland is probably correct. If you want to see a truly bad recent game, it would be something like Agony.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bend Studio and Ready at Dawn were both small devs that mainly worked on Playstation Portable games, but Sony pumped a lot of money into them and now they had an opportunity to jump into AAA games on the PS4. Both went for something impressive but highlighted the Orders textures or Bends enemy hordes but that was mainly tech demo stuff and forgot the other parts of what makes a good game.

Both came out and were not great as they received negative reviews and yet were hyped by PlayStation as they invested a lot into the hopes of these studios on delivering the next great PlayStation franchise.

So as we can see it's not easy moving up to huge Blockbuster games, I actually enjoyed the Order and I felt that game had a lot of potential that was never reached. :(

It isn't bad. It has an average score of 7/10. People seriously need to stop with this nonsense.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I still don't like that. Since it leaves out a lot of nuance. And if every that is 6 and below is bad than what's even the point of the full 10 scale if half is irrelevant.

Well, the nuance is in the review itself. Most reviewers do explain their final rating in a sufficiently detailed text or video.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame, because The Order was going for more Gears style gameplay without the proper level design. They really should have gone in the direction of RE4 and RE2R. I believe a sequel will be vastly improved in gameplay, like going from Chains of Olympus to Ghost to Sparta.

Oct 27, 2017
Since RDR2 i've been looking at reviews differently. RDR2 had so good scores and i honestly didnt enjoy it at all. The game was very well made but for me lacked fun that i search in videogames. I think reviewers are reviewing performance and story above all else.
Its like 'fun' isnt much of a factor... i know fun is impossible to measure though..

After Red Dead 2 has a 97% on Metacritic... you'd think people would realize this
This

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Wow, didn't take long.

This needs some more context honestly. These developers were given chances and budgets, not everything comes out amazing during these transitions. Look at Cambridge studio.

They transitioned well to making a AA style VR game and got shutdown.

I think they will get another shot, and think RAD should have too.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'd say Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty 'bad' 71 MC score.

Context matters, this game was marketed very heavily and Sony first party has largely killed it this generation. Even if OP should have known what would happen if he titled his thread this way, I don't think the point should be completely lost.
What exactly is the 'point' and why is it thread worthy? Two developers who worked on the PSP having games that aren't critical darlings is indicative of...?

The title is getting the attention because its just about the only thing that can be discussed meaningfully.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
While there's potential discussion to be had about developers of handheld games transitioning to consoles, you just had to open up a can of worms with saying the game is bad. A game with an average score that's not even out yet.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty 'bad' 71 MC score.

Context matters, this game was marketed very heavily and Sony first party has largely killed it this generation. Even if OP should have known what would happen if he titled his thread this way, I don't think the point should be completely lost.
The game is average akin to Andromeda.

The hype wasn't there as much as their other titles. Many here were skeptical.

Also Sony is known for its exclusives much like Nintendo so you are going to see a few average and sometimes bad games sprinkled in their lineup. The law of averages plays a role too.

I wonder how many ppl deriding this game would likely enjoy it.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Hoe about play the game for yourself before you declare it is bad.
People claim that reviewers are not influenced by the internet narrative of a game but this thread is a good example of how narrative influence works and is a real thing.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But isn't it super close to the 60's ?

If this is your reasoning behind the thread title of "Days Gone is a bad game" then your reasoning is flawed.

Read the reviews, realise why the game is scoring in the 70s. Most of the reviews aren't saying Days Gone is a "bad" game.

You're focusing too much on a number.

Status
Not open for further replies.