• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it?

• Yes

Votes: 203 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 419 67.4%

• Total voters

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've wondered if this port will come up this year or next... (WW HD and TP HD both launched 10 years after their original release, but that was probably a coincidence)

I'm curious to how it would work since the game is so intoned with motion controls which would make it playing it in handheld mode...very awkward... (I've heard it may not be playable in that mode)

How can it be done? Should it be done?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't see it happening with that game's reliance on motion controls. They'd have to completely redesign huge parts of the game to work on a traditional controller.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A hypothetical Skyward Sword HD on Switch would be fully playable with two joycons without concessions because it doesn't use the pointer but I assume they wouldn't want to limit its potential audience again. People have figured out ways to make it work on Dolphin with the 360 controller to a fairly satisfying degree and I can see Nintendo doing the same if they are willing to put in the work.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, out of all the older Zeldas in the Q for a remaster, this should be at the very back.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retool and balance the experience and adjust complaints that were levied at it, like they did with TP and WW.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Itd be a huge undertaking on Nintendos part to revamp every facet of combat and the major puzzles but frankly I'd be there day 1 because I love story heavy classic zelda and the motion controls ruined SS for me.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty disappointing that BOTW is the only 3D Zelda game playable on the Switch. I would have thought that WWHD and TPHD would have been re-released on the switch by now.

I hope we get SSHD as the game was absolutely charming and fantastic.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why the controls would be an issue, can't they be replicated with the Joycons?

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope not. There are far better games deserving of a HD remaster from Nintendo over Skyward Sword. Plus Twilight Princess HD wasn't even that good of a remaster.

I doubt it will happen thanks to the reliance on motion controls.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty disappointing that BOTW is the only 3D Zelda game playable on the Switch. I would have thought that WWHD and TPHD would have been re-released on the switch by now.

I hope we get SSHD as the game was absolutely charming and fantastic.

Those are the 2 games I really want and I'm surprised they haven't said anything about remaking them. I really hope going forward that the Switch has some sort of backward compatibility because having to buy a completely dead system(s) to play old Zelda games just sucks.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
With a wiimote including sensor (or some candles), a dream and a decent computer sadly.

edit: and a copy of the game

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A port, no. A complete remake where they overhaul huge portions of the world design would be neat though.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't happen you can make it happen yourself on Dolphin if you have the PC for it.

Game looks stunning in 4K btw!

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not. I reckon it's too dependant on the motion controls. I think the necessary work to completely redesign the game to work without it would be too much work.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword is a great game and the Joycon should work just fine for it. It only needs some QoL tweaks like the resetting item descriptions and Fi being annoying.

The motion controls are fine and it still has my favorite sword combat in a Zelda game so those don't need changing at all.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to play SS with non-crappy controls, it is doable but it'll require a lot of work which for Nintendo may not be worth the effort (For them).

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread acting like the switch controller can't function as a motion controller...

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
They'd have to dump all the tutorial messages for me to replay it. "Hey, did you know you can automatically jump?!" Um... yeah, I just did that. "REMEMBER, YOU CAN PRESS 2 FOR MORE HELP!"
"Don't you want more help?!! Please press 2!"

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather them to port OoT/MM, I'd love to play those in a big HD screen.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Skyward sword gets so much hate but it has some of the best dungeons in the franchise. The controls are dreadful but I feel with more precise control with the switch joycons it would be much better received.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword was Nintendo at its worst with boring tutorials and excessive hand holding.

Also the hell with Zelda, wheres my Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 remasters?

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. For some reason playing Ring Fit (specifically the world map music?) really makes me want to play it again...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Eh i guess but Skyward Sword really didn't sell that well and the idea that many would go out and buy extra Joycons just to play it seems like a bit of a stretch.
When Nintendo first released the game, they forced users to upgrade their wiimotes or get a motion + accessory (unless they already bought wii sports resort beforehand). Totally within their character to make a sub-set of their users to purchase something else.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When Nintendo first released the game, they forced users to upgrade their wiimotes or get a motion + accessory (unless they already bought wii sports resort beforehand). Totally within their character to make a sub-set of their users to purchase something else.

Extra pairs of joycons cost way more than the Wii Motion plus did. Having to buy the motion plus was one of the reasons Skyward Sword sold poorly in the first place. I don't think Nintendo wants to repeat the same mistake again. Anyway if a Skyward Sword remaster happens i doubt it will be for the Switch.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Extra pairs of joycons cost way more than the Wii Motion plus did. Having to buy the motion plus was one of the reasons Skyward Sword sold poorly in the first place. I don't think Nintendo wants to repeat the same mistake again. Anyway if a Skyward Sword remaster happens i doubt it will be for the Switch.
Again, it'd only be a subset of users this would even effect (opposite of Wii where most people had to buy it) and Nintendo has already shown they are willing to require it for other games. If Nintendo remasters SS for Switch, you can be guaranteed it'll use joycons versus entirely redesigning the game to be motion control-less. (I'm in the camp doubting they'll bother fwiw)

People in this thread acting like everyone wants to use motion controls in 2020....

See how that works?

Then those people should say "I'd only want it if they removed the motion controls" versus "they won't redesign the game to remove them, so they won't port/remaster it". Those are two very different sentiments.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
I don't see Nintendo doing a port or remaster without needing to remove motion controls from the game. Because this game was so heavily designed around motion controls, it's either a task no one has wanted to own at Nintendo or Nintendo just hasn't seen as worth it.

orrr they are already working in it but it is just taking a long time with a small team to do all the things needed to get the game in a state that is playable on lite and fixes some big critiques about the game.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, it'd only be a subset of users this would even effect (opposite of Wii where most people had to buy it) and Nintendo has already shown they are willing to require it for other games. If Nintendo remasters SS for Switch, you can be guaranteed it'll use joycons versus entirely redesigning the game to be motion control-less.

Then those people should say "I'd only want it if they removed the motion controls" versus "they won't redesign the game to remove them, so they won't port/remaster it". Those are two very different sentiments.

Well yeah of course if it happens for the Switch it will use the joycons instead of redesigning the whole game to work around a standard controller, but i just don't see this happening. Far more likely that they just port Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD at this point but even that seems to be getting less and less likely.

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people claim it wouldn't be possible on traditional controls. This is coming from someone who loved the controls in SS: It is perfectly doable on controller. I've mapped them fairly well to a playstation controller in dolphin and it works fine. Obviously it would need to be tweaked slightly for better playability, but it's a pretty good proof of concept for me.

That being said, I honestly don't think it's worth porting. For all the things I like about the game there are at least three other aspects I dislike.

The main draw was the interesting combat mechanics, and everything else kinda fel flat. So for me, I'd rather they just spend their efforts making combat even more interesting in BotW2 and beyond.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too keen personally.

I'd rather they do a simple port of Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time 3DS. Those games look fantastic running at 1080p on 3DS emulators. Touch up the textures if needs be.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I feel like going from something that is increasingly regarded as game of the generation and decade to something that is generally derided would be quite a misstep for the 3D entries in the series.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'd rather have the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess Wii U remasters ported over, but I wouldn't be opposed to a Skyward Sword remaster.

Dec 20, 2017
I've heard terrible things about Skyward Sword, but my curiosity would get the best of me and I'd pay the full $60.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
It's not old enough to be remade any time soon, and it's not loved enough (internally or externally) to get a remake and have it really be worth making. I'd expect console releases of the 3DS games before SS gets returned to; Nintendo even still goes back to TP when making promo art, even though SS designs were great.