• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, would the flag change or not necessarily?
1920px-US_flag_51_stars.svg.png

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Remind me again how many times PR has voted on statehood and why none of those times have counted, apparently?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I don't believe this will happen. It is a process that takes many years and has many stumbling blocks... I mean I guess the time is as good as any in the sense that maybe Biden will have 8 years to get it done?
It's been ~70 years but provided you have a simple majority and the area wants it and is prepared, historically it takes 6 months and that was in the preinternet era for the remote territories of Hawaii and Alaska. Wouldn't take DC long at all

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, thanks! I often heard bigots arguing against Puerto Rico becoming a State due to the flag looking weird. I always thought it was a poor racist excuse, good to confirm that was the case.
It's extra pointless because the US has changed the flag multiple times

lH3KzV2.gif

If anything, the US should add 4 more states so that we can return to the nice clean look of 1912-1959.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt PR have a right wing person in charge? Im all for statehood but if yall want it to happen just for elections sake you might not like the end result

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Doesnt PR have a right wing person in charge? Im all for statehood but if yall want it to happen just for elections sake you might not like the end result

Anyone who is purely interested in how it would impact elections can fuck. right. off. That being said, the Democratic party would have every chance to do what it takes to win over the votes of the people of PR. It's just a matter of putting in the effort. It's not like PR is staunchly Republican or anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
What was the turnout in the PR vote? I really think they have some internal issues to work out first. DC has a decent shot, though. And I do think this event shows how badly DC needs it.

what issues do they need to work out? My understanding is there is a crap ton of corruption there and they basically want the US to get in there and clean some of it up. Also being a state brings a lot more $$$.

if the people of PR want in, that is the only consideration.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Someone replied it is not necessary.
Pretty sure they were joking, but anyway for every state admitted to the Union one star is added to the flag: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2014-title4/html/USCODE-2014-title4-chap1-sec2.htm
4 U.S.C. - §2. Same; additional stars
On the admission of a new State into the Union one star shall be added to the union of the flag; and such addition shall take effect on the fourth day of July then next succeeding such admission.
(July 30, 1947, ch. 389, 61 Stat. 642.)
So yes, if one state is admitted there would be a 51st star added to the flag, if both are admitted there would also be a 52nd star.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointing to see a couple people try to point out Puerto Rico not necessarily being solid blue as meaningful to whether they deserve representation or not. Even those of you trying to be sly about it. Representation is what matters.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who is purely interested in how it would impact elections can fuck. right. off. That being said, the Democratic party would have every chance to do what it takes to win over the votes of the people of PR. It's just a matter of putting in the effort. It's not like PR is staunchly Republican or anything.

The mjority of the island is firmly catholic. The youth and young professionals have left the island in droves over the past 10 years leading to their population drop and an older skewing voters. PR being dem leaning is absolutely not a given and something either party will not risk anytime soon.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they were joking, but anyway for every state admitted to the Union one star is added to the flag: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2014-title4/html/USCODE-2014-title4-chap1-sec2.htm

So yes, if one state is admitted there would be a 51st star added to the flag, if both are admitted there would also be a 52nd star.
One thing I wonder is if both D.C. is admitted and then several months later after a forced referendum PR is admitted, will we get a limited edition 51 star flag?

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Make DC happen. PR is not gonna favor dems or their goals.

That's an unfair way to look at it. Those people deserve representation and want it.

It would likely be a toss-up state or Lean-D anyway.

I don't think PR wants to become a state so no

They do, they just voted for this in 2020 election. Majority of people support it.

Puerto Rico Statehood Referendum (2020)

Ballotpedia: The Encyclopedia of American Politics

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I hope all of you are advocating for PR because you legitimately believe they deserve that representation and not because you think they'll be a blue state to help in Congress. Cause you'll be taking a big gamble with that.

PR being a gamble is gonna be a reason neither side of the isle will REALLY wanna go through with it.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
The mjority of the island is firmly catholic. The youth and young professionals have left the island in droves over the past 10 years leading to their population drop and an older skewing voters. PR being dem leaning is absolutely not a given and something either party will not risk anytime soon.

Yeah fam, I didn't say they were absolutely democratic leaning. I said Democrats can work to get it done. But sure, let's keep disenfranchising them because they might vote how we don't like :)

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Make DC happen. PR is not gonna favor dems or their goals.
Doesn't matter, any US territory where the majority of people vote in favor of statehood should be able to gain it. If not, they should be allowed to declare independence if they desire to do so. Blocking a territory from becoming a state just because it might favor the GOP would make the people blocking it no better than the Republicans who are obviously against DC statehood because it would be an overwhelmingly blue state.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
i think he'd be against statehood for DC and PR because then he'd lose the power he holds now. Perhaps if we can gain some seats in 2022, then we can say fuck off Manchin. I do think its long overdue, though.

Statehood wouldn't be an overnight thing. By the time we actually had Senators from DC and/or PR the odds are he wouldn't be in the position of power that he's in now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah fam, I didn't say they were absolutely democratic leaning. I said Democrats can work to get it done. But sure, let's keep disenfranchising them because they might vote how we don't like :)

Bruh. I grew up in PR. My father worked for Rossello senior. I grew up staunchly prostatehood and know every argument. I am allowed to be completely disillusioned with the situation there and our prospects of this happening any time soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
True but that was a non binding referendum with no indication of what changes will need to be made to PR like much heavier taxation to an already very low income populous.

I don't think the US needs a binding referendum. Congress can act on it now.

and people can't use the excuse of boycotting due to how the question was asked, this time was a simple yes/no.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

my understanding is that they (young people) can still
Vote in those elections?

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I hope all of you are advocating for PR because you legitimately believe they deserve that representation and not because you think they'll be a blue state to help in Congress. Cause you'll be taking a big gamble with that.

PR being a gamble is gonna be a reason neither side of the isle will REALLY wanna go through with it.

democrats In congress and some republicans want it to happen. Including Joe Biden.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
DC could maybe happen. I don't think people here care enough about PR or the other US territories for those to become states.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Bruh. I grew up in PR. My father worked for Rossello senior. I grew up staunchly prostatehood and know every argument. I am allowed to be completely disillusioned with the situation there and our prospects of this happening any time soon.

That's fine for you to be disillusioned. But I have a lot of family who live in PR to this day, and it's a deeply important issue to them and to me. You're not the only person this is important to.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I just PR to decide their own fate.

I think being a colony is simply no longer tenable. they need to be a full fledged state, or independent. For their own good, i'd prefer Statehood because we (America) OWE them a lot. But we owe a lot of other minorities sooo... basically whatever they wish.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
doesn't congress have to vote on it?
Yes and you're right filibuster would apply. However they could amend the filibuster with a simple majority, and they don't even have to do a drastic change they could amend it to just not include statehood votes. I'd imagine they'd change the structure be less dangerous in general tho.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Remind me again how many times PR has voted on statehood and why none of those times have counted, apparently?
All of them have been non-binding, even the most recent one (2020).

Frankly, all the territories (Guam, Virgin Isles, American Samoa, and so on) should be eligible for statehood and therefore representation in the Senate and House, not just P.R., should they choose to vote for statehood (as opposed to independence or remaining as is, among other options for each determining their own direction) in a binding referendum.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Apparently PR only needs a simple majority. You don't even need Manchin at that point. Both Florida senators support statehood.

and With McConnell no longer in the way. PR actually has a better chance than DC.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yes and you're right filibuster would apply. However they could amend the filibuster with a simple majority, and they don't even have to do a drastic change they could amend it to just not include statehood votes. I'd imagine they'd change the structure be less dangerous in general tho.

everytjkng I'm reading says it only needs a simple
Majority.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If all DC needs is 50 votes in favor, what's stopping it from being brought up for vote, like, three weeks from now? Does anyone have the preparations being worked on already?

(PR seems more complicated, as do the other colonies (and Native American reservations though not necessarily in the same way) so while something definitely needs to change there it seems harder to deal with).

One thing I wonder is if both D.C. is admitted and then several months later after a forced referendum PR is admitted, will we get a limited edition 51 star flag?

Someone else posted that the star gets added on the following July 4th, so if DC was added in March and PR in August then there'd be a year of 51 star flags.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
everytjkng I'm reading says it only needs a simple
Majority.
I meant DC. But yeah it's not clear, it's never actually made the senate floor, Obama's trifecta didn't try and the house didn't support it in the 90's. Guess we'll see what happens in a month. Because they'll try to bring it up quick while the fire is hot

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Apparently PR only needs a simple majority. You don't even need Manchin at that point. Both Florida senators support statehood.

and With McConnell no longer in the way. PR actually has a better chance than DC.
It will always be a political game, I don't think Democrats would agree to PR statehood until DC gets it since DC would be overwhelmingly blue
If all DC needs is 50 votes in favor, what's stopping it from being brought up for vote, like, three weeks from now? Does anyone have the preparations being worked on already?
A bill was already submitted in the House. It already passed the House back in June but since it's a new Congress it has to be passed again, which would be a formality https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/51/actions And I guess since we're getting Majority Leader Schumer soon it should also be able to clear the Senate quite quickly.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It will always be a political game, I don't think Democrats would agree to PR statehood until DC gets it since DC would be overwhelmingly blue

A bill was already submitted in the House. It already passed the House back in June but since it's a new Congress it has to be passed again, which would be a formality https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/51/actions And I guess since we're getting Majority Leader Schumer soon it should also be able to clear the Senate quite quickly.
Totally getting bumped to the top of the list outside of economic aid

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It needs to happen in DC if nothing else for their own National Guard (for the surrounding city around the hill). PR should get it if they want it as well.

These people should be represented.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Oh so... it's basically a forgone conclusion unless one of the Dems don't want it?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna leave what AOC said about P.R. here:
Despite five plebiscites, "statehood" has never received an unequivocal mandate from Puerto Rican voters. The two most recent referenda were marred by voting irregularities and dismal participation. In fact, the U.S. Department of Justice refused to validate the results of the 2017 referendum. While yet another nonbinding status vote is scheduled for November, the recent primary fiasco in Puerto Rico does not inspire much confidence that the outcome will be any more reflective of popular opinion than previous votes. ... For true, legitimate change, Puerto Rico's status must be resolved from the ground up. Plans for altering the Island's relationship with the U.S. should not just garner the consent of the Puerto Rican people; they should originate with them. In fact, many in Puerto Rico would view Congress pushing statehood not as an end to colonization, but the culmination of it.

The dismal participation is what concerns me. P.R. needs a better way to gauge their vote. That needs to be fixed first.

D.C. should be a slam dunk. I hope to see it happen soon.