• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see absolutely no reason as to why GTAO would hold back a Switch port. The damn thing has 8 times the RAM of an Xbox 360 (PS3 has even less), which should account for any DLC. The Wi-Fi is also better than a 360's or PS3's. Just pare back the visuals to 360 settings and maybe bump up the res to 900p. And that's just if you want it quick and dirty.

It's not on the system for other reasons, but a Houser/T2 feud with Nintendo makes no sense at all.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I see absolutely no reason as to why GTAO would hold back a Switch port. The damn thing has 8 times the RAM of an Xbox 360 (PS3 has even less), which should account for any DLC. The Wi-Fi is also better than a 360's or PS3's. Just pare back the visuals to 360 settings and maybe bump up the res to 900p. And that's just if you want it quick and dirty.
Not that is cant run, it's that Nintendo online is shit

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Matchmaking is server side though. I don't buy this excuse.
File size, along with the fact that they're planning continued support and content updates until GTAVI releases. Which means the size will only increase.

We know a port was in the works at one point. They wouldn't have stopped working on it unless they had a reason to. Something to do with GTA:O is the safest bet.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy that either. Fortnite and Warframe, Doom doesn't have multi-player on the cart either.
The game is over 100gb on pc, and they're still updating and supporting it.

I doubt R* would release the game with GTA:O as an optional download.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
The game is over 100gb on pc, and they're still updating and supporting it.

I doubt R* would release the game with GTA:O as an optional download.
It's less than 80gb on PS4, and it would probably be cut down even more with smaller assets.

Point is, they could do it without any significant roadblocks. If they don't do it because they don't want it as an optional download, then that's as arbitrary as anything else.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
It's less than 80gb on PS4, and it would probably be cut down even more with smaller assets.

Point is, they could do it without any significant roadblocks. If they don't do it because they don't want it as an optional download, then that's as arbitrary as anything else.
If they could cut the file size down that much, they probably wouldn't have stopped updating the 360/PS3 versions.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Because they will start with GTA 1 for $20, then 2, 3 , Vice City and San Andreas then release a physical version for $60 and finallY, GTA IV

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
If they could cut the file size down that much, they probably wouldn't have stopped updating the 360/PS3 versions.
I don't think filesize was why they stopped.

"As we mentioned previously, we always knew there might be a point where we would reach the technical capacity of what the older generation of consoles can handle as each downloadable update requires additional memory both for assets and for additional scripting. We have continued to optimize the entire game over time in order to squeeze as much memory as we possibly could out of the last-generation hardware and at some point, continuing to add content for those systems could cause the risk of instability to the game overall."

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Then why did they? There's certainly plenty of people still playing the game on those systems.
Memory. See my edited post above. 360 was compromised 512mb and PS3 was compromised 256mb RAM and 256mb VRAM. And like I said, the Switch has eight times those.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Memory. See my edited post above.
I mean, do you have any proof of this? Or are you just speculating?

The only info we have to go off of is from Matt who said that a port was being worked on at some point. He also said that people were probably right guessing that GTA:O is the reason for the absence.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, do you have any proof of this? Or are you just speculating?

The only info we have to go off of is from Matt who said that a port was being worked on at some point. He also said that people were probably right guessing that GTA:O is the reason for the absence.
I just gave you a hyperlinked Forbes article and the quote is from Rockstar themselves, taken from the article.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I just gave you a hyperlinked Forbes article and the quote is from Rockstar themselves, taken from the article.
Oh, you updated your post with a link. Either way, I think it's pretty safe to say that some issue that arose because of GTA:O is what stopped the port.

Thinking it wasn't ported because of some "grudge" or whatever is clearly stupid, and we know resources were spent working on a port already. They clearly a roadblock.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, you updated your post with a link. Either way, I think it's pretty safe to say that some issue that arose because of GTA:O is what stopped the port.

Thinking it wasn't ported because of some "grudge" or whatever is clearly stupid, and we know resources were spent working on a port already. They clearly a roadblock.
I think whatever the roadblock is, GTAO - while more likely than a fanfiction feud - is still unlikely. They could do it if they wanted to.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
What sort of production issues would be so serious that they'd stop working on a port alltogether?
Doesn't need to be serious at all - just inconvenient enough. It could be as simple as a rhetorically outsourced port not up to standards or the project ultimately deemed not worth the cost of production - usually this happens when the project gets in the way of other development or manufacturing pipelines. It could even be licensing issues. It could even be done and they're just sitting on the code.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Antagonizing Other Users; Prior Infractions for Similar Behavior
Because nobody is gonna buy Madden on the switch those are Xbox players. Battlefield isn't gonna sell at all lol, nor will call of duty as the player base is just not gonna buy it.
2 donkeys
And this is why there are rules against portbegging. But since this is Portbegging: The Thread I guess it's ok.

Oh look a 3rd Donkey.
I mean, he's not wrong.
A being of the light.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I still think it's mostly lack of interest on R*/T2's part. They won't even port the pre-HD games.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Who REALLY wants GTA V on the switch but was never interested to play it or the series when it came out?
I really hope people dont ONLY have a Switch

There are people that have only Switch, but there also people that have multiply platforms but they want full handheld GTA V.

Witcher runs at 720 docked and 540 in handheld mode. Doom even less. GTA V is over 70GBs currently, i will never understand the obsession with wanting everything on the switch.

Users of every platforms wants more games for platform they own (common sense), but what is different with Switch is that offers full handheld mode that other console platforms dont offer.

The same reason why they didnt update GTA V for XBOX ONE X or PS4 Pro. Because it cost too much money vs what they would earn

Apples to oranges, Pro and X are still same PS4 and XB1 platforms and game is already available for those platforms, game is not available at all for Switch platform.
GTA V would easily sell at least few millions on Switch at full price point, it would be easy profit.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
We here had infos from very trusted source that GTA V was in development for Switch at end of 2017.
only 2 reasons that have sense come to my mind why they paused/cancelled project:

-32GB carts were very expansive at that time (now that problem is fixed, we have Witcher 3 on 32GB cart)
-online capability problems because GTA V has very complex online mode

Talking about online, even if they released game without online on Switch, it would easily sell at least 2-3m at full price point ($60), I mean full handheld GTA V would be huge even without online.

Also, I cant belive that some people think that Switch couldnt handle PS3/360 game when last month one of biggest current gen games is released on Switch,
or that one of reasons is because Nintendo thinks is "too mature" for Switch while tottaly ignoring fact that even Wii had very mature games not to mention Switch (Mortal Kombat 11, Dark Souls, Doom, Wolfenstein, Resident Evil..).