• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I would suggest go checking out some videos. It's actually really tightly integrated. People are quick to say "greed" and such, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a way that would work elegantly on handheld or Switch Lite. Even if it were relegated to a right stick, you still need face buttons to jump. It would be a mess. At the very least it wouldn't be anywhere near what kind of dexterity you are expected to work with in the original game.

I'm able to play it on dolphin entirely with an Xbox one controller, and clever mapping of the motion controls.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Probably because of the pointer controls for controlling Yoshi. It's pretty clear that they didn't want to make much effort with this collection, so including Galaxy 2, would've need a lot of rework on the controls for Yoshi.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't shake the feeling that it was supposed to be there, when I see this:

XKRh19L.jpg

It really feels like the game is missing in that fourth column. As if it was there at some point but they removed it and slapped the logo of the compilation instead. That empty column is really jarring.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yoshi can just autolock the nearest/most important target...

How does the game decide what's "most important?" What if the player wanted something else? This would shift the gameplay for a lot of levels and is pretty far removed from the "as you remember" intention of these ports/remasters.

Many

Sep 17, 2018
How does the game decide what's "most important?" What if the player wanted something else? This would shift the gameplay for a lot of levels and is pretty far removed from the "as you remember" intention of these ports/remasters.
The nearest. Mario Galaxy is not a complicated game.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Despite being $60, it's a bare bones, low budget collection. Nintendo didn't want to spend the time/money getting Galaxy 2 running on Switch.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is this "clever mapping of the motion controls"?
^
You're never gonna make using the right analog stick to control an on-screen cursor anywhere near as immediate or functional for a game like Galaxy 2, as IR pointing was.

Hell, I only ever found one PC controller that was even kinda suitable as a wholesale replacement for use with Dolphin (besides, well, mouse & keypad) - that being the Steam controller, with its trackpads working really elegantly for the purpose. Everything else I've tried, including using gyro, has fallen short.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's one game from each gen but it's really because money: they could give it a stand-alone re-release for $40 (my bet's on that), or they could do a Galaxy bundle for $60 since All-Stars will be a limited release. Either way it's shitty.

Nintendo lost the rights to it in 2017.

If only

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

XKRh19L.jpg

It really feels like the game is missing in that fourth column. As if it was there at some point but they removed it and slapped the logo of the compilation instead. That empty column is really jarring.

Same for me. In the video, it lingered on this image for a good few seconds, I thought for sure that last column was going to fill in with Galaxy 2 to surprise you before the end of the trailer.. But nope. That's it I guess.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yup. And not to mention, can you imagine how upset people would be if it inevitably auto-targets something they don't want? I wouldn't blame them.

One look at that video should at least show people that the port is not nearly as straightforward as you think.
Honestly just thinking about the Grandmaster Galaxy Yoshi section with autocontrol would lead to so many ragequits since not only are the targets are really close but you have to do it in the air while dodging Goombas and Bullet Bills

Edit: but now thinking about it how are they going to make the pull stars usable?

Edit 2: wait i now see it since you can't move while in the pull star unlike Yoshi the thing they can do is simply letting you move it with the stick

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The nearest. Mario Galaxy is not a complicated game.

I think the video posted illustrates why this would be a problem; the "closest" thing might be an enemy when you really want to reach the flower. These are actually pretty important fundamentals of game design that can't yet be easily tweaked when you want a port collection that's 1:1.

That's not getting into more complicated segments like Grandmaster Galaxy.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have said this in another thread, and I will say it here again:

Nintendo is not leaving money on the table. All-stars may be limited, but the games will surely hit the eshop soon afterwards, seperately. I wouldn't be surprised if they will announce this and compliment it with the release of Galaxy 2.

Switch seems to become a home for all 3D Mario games now, and I don't expect Nintendo to leave Galaxy 2 in the ditch when they know full well its worth.

They just aren't throwing everything at consumers at once.

So they're holding it back to make an extra buck off of people?

Phantom_Snake

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Montana

XKRh19L.jpg

Didnt notice this before. Does look like something should he there. Perhaps G2 needed more time.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
considering the "format" i'm not the least bit surprised galaxy 2 is excluded

it's my GOAT and i'd pay like $100 standalone for a simple upres but being real it was never going to happen

Oct 25, 2017
Because a ton of people don't care about a $15 vs ~$20 price for each of the four games with higher resolution and portability. Especially for some of the most loved games ever.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
I think the video posted illustrates why this would be a problem; the "closest" thing might be an enemy when you really want to reach the flower. These are actually pretty important fundamentals of game design that can't yet be easily tweaked when you want a port collection that's 1:1.

That's not getting into more complicated segments like Grandmaster Galaxy.
I know making the joy con required would be screwed up for lite users and people who play handheld, but would the joy cons be a good replacement for yoshi pointer controls? It's been awhile since I've played it and never did grandmaster galaxy, but having some sort of auto target or w/e and joy con options be a good middle ground? That way everyone could atleast get through the mandatory yoshi stars with relative easy if they didn't want to use joy cons, and then those who do Grandmaster have the joy cons since its more complicated.

I know it wouldn't be easy, but I'd just love Galaxy 2 on switch along with the others in some form.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Because of Yoshi and/or switch lite. With how much people complained when it was assumed that you were required to use the Joycons to play Galaxy 1 I can't say I blame Nintendo here.

Personally I would prefered they full stop required use of the Joycons for Galaxy 1 and 2 and included 2.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
As far as we know it was never planned to be included. Obviously we aren't privy to internal information. So who knows what discussion & decisions went on. Well probably only know 15-20 years from now when some dev interview reveals it, if ever.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know it was never planned to be included. Obviously we aren't privy to internal information. So who knows what discussion & decisions went on. Well probably only know 15-20 years from now when some dev interview reveals it, if ever.
Yeah Tom Phillips said as much as well.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
They don't trust the Switch's gyro to be as accurate as the Wii pointer and fast pointer controls are needed for the Yoshi sections. Honestly, while it would decrease the challenge, I'd be fine if they just auto targeted with a button press

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Auto-locking was how Yoshi's tongue worked in Sunshine. Needless to say it only worked that way because of how that game was designed, and even then I use the word "worked" generously.

It's kinda fascinating that Galaxy 2 was the game that took a greater advantage of the console's unique controls, despite the game eschewing the novelty of its setting a bit more than the first game did. Usually - especially for a controller as unique as the Wii had - you'd expect a game like that to come out at the beginning of a console's lifetime rather than the end of it.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi still owes back taxes.

In all seriousness probably the Nvidia shield reasoning mentioned earlier, the porting work was already done.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
They don't trust the Switch's gyro to be as accurate as the Wii pointer and fast pointer controls are needed for the Yoshi sections. Honestly, while it would decrease the challenge, I'd be fine if they just auto targeted with a button press
Switch Lite doesn't have gyro controls.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly just thinking about the Grandmaster Galaxy Yoshi section with autocontrol would lead to so many ragequits since you have to time it while dodging Goombas and Bullet Bills

Edit: but now thinking about it how are they going to make the pull stars usable?

Galaxy 2 Special Edition with Wii-themed Joycons and a sensor bar for $99

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
^
You're never gonna make using the right analog stick to control an on-screen cursor anywhere near as immediate or functional for a game like Galaxy 2, as IR pointing was.

Hell, I only ever found one PC controller that was even kinda suitable as a wholesale replacement for use with Dolphin (besides, well, mouse & keypad) - that being the Steam controller, with its trackpads working really elegantly for the purpose. Everything else I've tried, including using gyro, has fallen short.

I've seen people use Left Joycon + mouse as a setup

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they didn't want to put in the effort to adapt the pointer controls. For Galaxy 1 they already had the version they made for the Nvidia shield in China so that may have been easier for them.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of forgot what the addition of Yoshi did with the pointer controls. It would have been almost impossible to emulate with a handheld switch.

I hope this doesn't mean we never see a switch release of skyward sword.