• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't thought of it, but now that some of you mention it, Yoshi's controls being far from ideal for the Switch Lite makes lot of sense... (without modifying the game more than a simple port)

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Phase 1: Package 3 amazing Mario games into a collection but don't include Galaxy 2.

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: PROFIT!

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yoshi controls would be a mess and that's one of the game's biggest features. Galaxy is going to be a significantly worse experience than it was on the Wii due to the inherent impossibility of making the pointer feel as good as it did with the Wiimote and it had very little necessary content requiring use of the pointer, and what it does have is far less mechanically demanding than what Galaxy 2 has, which starts as early as the game's 2nd level

This is my take as well.

Try to imagine running, jumping, and pointing/using Yoshi's tongue on a touch screen.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
They didn't want to embarrass the other 3D Mario's in the collection with Galaxy 2's greatness

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Not sure what answer you're looking for other than "Nintendo sucks and made a bad decision".

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have said this in another thread, and I will say it here again:

Nintendo is not leaving money on the table. All-stars may be limited, but the games will surely hit the eshop soon afterwards, seperately. I wouldn't be surprised if they will announce this and compliment it with the release of Galaxy 2.

Switch seems to become a home for all 3D Mario games now, and I don't expect Nintendo to leave Galaxy 2 in the ditch when they know full well its worth.

They just aren't throwing everything at consumers at once.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
Because it never existed. I'm sorry, but the truth needed to come out sooner or later. It's been nothing but a figment of your imagination this entire time.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They cant call it 4D All stars.

Money

and also they could use it for another 3D collection that includes Super Mario 64 DS, Super Mario 3D Land and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

strideredge

Oct 25, 2017
For years people told me that 3d land and 3d world were not 3d Mario games for "reasons". Now that galaxy 2 has been removed from this collection it is also not considered a 3d Mario game.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stupid theory.

Yoshi was virtually absent from the presentation...

They're planning a big Yoshi Anniversary soon (SMW anniversary) and Galaxy 2 will be featured in a collection of Yoshi based games as Yoshi features prominently.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
It's the only 3D Mario I never got around to playing and I'm sad it's not included.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
7f5.gif

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland
Yoshi controls would be a mess and that's one of the game's biggest features. Galaxy is going to be a significantly worse experience than it was on the Wii due to the inherent impossibility of making the pointer feel as good as it did with the Wiimote and it had very little necessary content requiring use of the pointer, and what it does have is far less mechanically demanding than what Galaxy 2 has, which starts as early as the game's 2nd level

This is my take as well.

Try to imagine running, jumping, and pointing/using Yoshi's tongue on a touch screen.

So how did this work exactly? It's not the first time I've heard it mentioned as an explanation and it kinda makes Galaxy 2 sound like one of those games that couldn't be brought off the Nintendo system it was released on without significant changes that would alter the game? (Thinking here of something like, say, TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass back on the DS with a number of its puzzles and entire control scheme.)

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
To be fair, for Nintendo to bundle the three games that are there, is a fucking miracle to me. There was probably some internal resistance that argued it would devalue these games below full price and they ended up with that limited time crap as a compromise. Adding another game? Aw hell naw.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
People are overthinking this one.

Much like the 25th Anniversary Wii All-Stars release, this game is meant primarily as a celebration title, rather than an explicitly new and enhanced value proposition for gamers. If you want to play the games in largely their former glory on the Switch, grab this title.

Because of the info glut, we all assume this is Nintendo's tent-pole holiday title, but I don't think that's true. It's much easier to consider the game as a bonus rather than the main course.

As others have said, SMG2 isn't included for mechanical reasons (thanks Yoshi), and 3D World appears to be the high-quality remaster with new content akin to what we expect with titles like WW HD, XBC DE, etc.

Our next-gen 4K remakes of these games are in another castle decade's time. Please understand.

Colargogol

Jan 22, 2020
My guess is that later down the line there is a plan to sell each title individually and digitally (for 20$ or so) and that Galaxy 2 will be sold like that.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So how did this work exactly? It's not the first time I've heard it mentioned as an explanation and it kinda makes Galaxy 2 sound like one of those games that couldn't be brought off the Nintendo system it was released on without significant changes that would alter the game? (Thinking here of something like, say, TLoZ: Phantom Hourglass back on the DS with a number of its puzzles and entire control scheme.)

I would suggest go checking out some videos. It's actually really tightly integrated. People are quick to say "greed" and such, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a way that would work elegantly on handheld or Switch Lite. Even if it were relegated to a right stick, you still need face buttons to jump. It would be a mess. At the very least it wouldn't be anywhere near what kind of dexterity you are expected to work with in the original game.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I would suggest go checking out some videos. It's actually really tightly integrated. People are quick to say "greed" and such, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a way that would work elegantly on handheld or Switch Lite. Even if it were relegated to a right stick, you still need face buttons to jump. It would be a mess. At the very least it wouldn't be anywhere near what kind of dexterity you are expected to work with in the original game.

You would probably just have to have Yoshi's tongue autohit targets, which is too drastic and questionable of a change for what this collection intends to be, a basic "as you remember" release of these games.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Because Nintendo acting like Nintendo. Why include it in this collection when they can sell it at full price 6-12 months from now?

endzville

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 21, 2020
Scotland

Thanks for the timestamp on that. 👍 I wasn't sure where to look, as I obviously haven't played the game, but just seconds in on where you marked the video I see what you and the other person mean. I'm really not sure what could be done about that that wouldn't involve taking control away from the player and making a great deal of the game frustrating. I'm surprised this isn't the reason being touted in this thread and elsewhere now that I get why this was being mentioned so often.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
So many great replies in this thread. It's fun to jest from time to time, video games don't need to be serious business 24/7. Wish we could have more threads like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Because there is no god

It's the best game that Nintendo has ever created and it gets this treatment.

Also it might be because of Yoshi, but they could make it work if they tried.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
With what everyone has said about the controls...I'm actually leaning towards just buying a wii mote and nunchuck and buying it on the Wii U.

It's like the one Mario game I haven't played, so I really want it.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You would probably just have to have Yoshi's tongue autohit targets, which is too drastic and questionable of a change for what this collection intends to be, a basic "as you remember" release of these games.

Yup. And not to mention, can you imagine how upset people would be if it inevitably auto-targets something they don't want? I wouldn't blame them.

One look at that video should at least show people that the port is not nearly as straightforward as you think.