• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Crystal Dynamics' Avengers a next-gen title?

• Yes

Votes: 129 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • It'll be cross-gen

Votes: 192 50.9%

• Total voters

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that this deal was done in January 2017 means there's no way this is coming out next year.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that this deal was done in January 2017 means there's no way this is coming out next year.

Supposedly, Crystal Dynamics started working on this game in 2016. That said, it probably still isn't coming out next year. That's why I wondered if this was going to be a next-gen game. A launch window game of this caliber would be a major system seller.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
MGU started with Spider-Man
MGU is gonna be really weird when made by completely different game studios and disparate art teams.

Honestly, here's my hypothesis: Square Enix had the deal but internal showcases of prototypes did not please Marvel at all and the deal was cut, and that's why they suddenly threw out IO Interactive and desperately greenlit the Quiet Man and held the smallest conference ever at E3 and FF guy leaves cuz they're all "shit shit shit, this we were riding on this deal, we're fucked!"

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
MGU is gonna be really weird when made by completely different game studios and disparate art teams.

Honestly, here's my hypothesis: Square Enix had the deal but internal showcases of prototypes did not please Marvel at all and the deal was cut, and that's why they suddenly threw out IO Interactive and desperately greenlit the Quiet Man and held the smallest conference ever at E3 and FF guy leaves cuz they're all "shit shit shit, this we were riding on this deal, we're fucked!"

This is...quite the take lmao. Though that doesn't explain why they only showed like...a teaser of Babylon's Fall or nothing from Final Fantasy 7.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's just the standard Square Enix procedure: announce games when they barely started doing them.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's a pretty ridiculous hypothesis. Simple answer is that making a long-tail service game off an established IP in between system Generations is difficult

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Sounds more like this is a massive game with a 3 to 5 year development cycle and they probably don't want to show more until they're ready. Odds are they waaaaay jumped the gun on this one with the teaser. If the game was just full on cancelled we would've heard something.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Honestly, here's my hypothesis: Square Enix had the deal but internal showcases of prototypes did not please Marvel at all and the deal was cut, and that's why they suddenly threw out IO Interactive and desperately greenlit the Quiet Man and held the smallest conference ever at E3.

I don't think there is any real plan to create a coherent 'MGU' as of now. Marvel may well be happy simply with publishing great games, and so would a lot of gamers.

As to Avengers, they merely said they'd share more information during 2018. For all we know, they could do it before the end of the year, or more likely in the first months of 2019. It hasn't really disappeared from the face of the Earth, though of course, the anticipation for it is huge.

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
Square's Avengers game not showing up at The Game Awards was honestly a sign (to me) that development may be rocky.

This teaser was almost two whole years ago, and it came with the explicit statement that we'd hear more about the game in 2018 (which already felt like a long time to be waiting). 2018 has instead come and gone without so much as a press release. Games have gone longer than that between first announcement and first actual details, but it's pretty rare. And what makes it more concerning is that their statement of getting more information in 2018 was a pretty low bar and they still managed to stumble over it. Total radio silence. I'd be very interested to find out what's going on behind the scenes at Crystal Dynamics.

I don't know that this is necessarily some massive, dramatic story. It's possible that development simply hadn't even started when the first teaser hit, and it took longer than expected to nail down details on what the game would actually be and start production. It's possible that the initial concept of the game ran into some roadblocks and it's going through some reworking. These things can be overcome in time. But I do think that this is a sign that the project has not been on a smooth development track so far, and it may be a while longer before anything comes of this.

EDIT: Or, hell, there's the simple answer that they decided to move it to next-gen and nobody wants to really talk about PS5 titles before the machine is announced next year.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I think most of these big games we either have seen or that don't have release dates/windows announced will be cross gen games.

At least the huget budge ones as they want to reach the largest possible audience.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I foresee this releasing at the same time as rocksteady's potential justice league game.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Probably troubled development. Like, how do you make an Avengers superhero game a la Batman Arkham or Spider-Man?

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it will release cross-gen. Jason Schreier has contributed to the speculation that it's a GaaS Destiny-like title, so it's problem a huge project that's still taking shape in development.

I wonder if there could also be a Marvel mandate on whether 'Avengers' branded projects can be in the spotlight in the run up to Avengers Endgame's release. It seems unlikely though.

I never saw that thread. Yeah, they clearly missed some dates here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
It's Square Enix, y'all should know what time it is LMAO
I got tricked too :(
But this game is cross-gen, if not next-gen at this point (which is fine with me, since this game should be absolutely godly on next-gen hardware)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised Marvel aren't putting on more pressure. The Avengers brand is the biggest it's ever been, and Spider-Man just sold like crack. They need to strike whilst the irons hot.

Striking while the iron's hot is the exact mindset that's lead to hundreds of bad licensed games, where developers have tried to align the release of the game, with the movie franchise.

If they make a great game, it will stand on its own.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Don't get why y'all think development is rocky or something. Game of incredibly large scale take lots of time to make. News at 11.

I mean, RDR2 was in development for 8 years guys. And I doubt Anthem only started development in 2016 or something

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get why y'all think development is rocky or something. Game of incredibly large scale take lots of time to make. News at 11.

I mean, RDR2 was in development for 8 years guys. And I doubt Anthem only started development in 2016 or something

Your definition of rocky likely doesn't match up with mine. RDR2 was delayed twice.

Cool, take your time. I appreciate him at least saying something, the silence since the teaser has been a bit weird. I'm almost positive this is next gen.

Crystal Dynamics should've said something tbh.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it's way too early and the 2018 promise was always rocky to begin with. You'll get your game eventually.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
lol imagine it taking so long the OG Avengers are out of date and Marvels closed the book on them and has already started the new avengers / xmen thing. Marvel gives them a tasteful exit and Square walks in like "HEEEEY DID I MISS THE PARTY"

I've never understood why devs sometimes announce games so early? When the games are actualy shown you have already forgotten that they were announced years ago, at least that's how it is for me.
Probably to attract investors or something?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Striking while the iron's hot is the exact mindset that's lead to hundreds of bad licensed games, where developers have tried to align the release of the game, with the movie franchise.

If they make a great game, it will stand on its own.
I mean in terms of promotional material, but you're absolutely right. Spider-Man was the best licensed title in a long time because it wasn't tied to a movie.