• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I subscribe to the idea that the work belongs to the fans as much as it does the creator. So, really, all those fan artists with Harry Potter. Just stick with them. They're no less valid than J.K. Rowling's own interpretation now.

KuroNeeko

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
My opinion is that a lot of people who have read her work feel betrayed. When Harry Potter was still a work-in-progess, it captured the hearts of its fans through the sheer power of premise: Magic is real.

In Harry Potter's world, everyone had the chance to be a wizard, and it was enticing to think that just below our own mundane world, something more fantastic dwelled--one that offered amazing surprises and terrifying power.

But most of all, Harry gave us a chance to grow up in that world. To show that the strongest magic is not found in a wand or a spellbook, but in your heart. The magic of courage, loyalty, and friendship. It's a classic coming-of-age tale that gave us, for a time anyway, a shared look into another world.

Unfortunately, the author has lost sight of what made that world special. She also has shown some very questionable beliefs, ones that would fit right in at Slytherin, and it's just disappointing.

I say that as a huge, huge fan of the first seven books / movies. Nothing since then has really managed to capture that spark again.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I got kind of fed up after she decided that I was gay.

tumblr_pm9bwwyfXe1t0af57_1280.jpg

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I subscribe to the idea that the work belongs to the fans as much as it does the creator. So, really, all those fan artists with Harry Potter. Just stick with them. They're no less valid than J.K. Rowling's own interpretation now.
This isn't really the case, however just because someone owns the work doesn't mean people can't criticisize it. "She can do what she wants, she owns the series" is the dumbest deflection ever even when it was used for Lucas.

Even ignoring the storyline stuff, she's still a transphobic piece of shit.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
User banned (5 days): Inflammatory and dismissive drive-by posting.
I don't think the fandom really cares. It's the same "some people" that Trump talks about all the time who are "angry", and they're mostly just people jealous of her success. Probably misogynists as well.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Her updates are silly at best but mostly just queer baiting, she's a TERF, the cursed child is horrendous and the first fantastic beasts movie is forgettable and the second is just bad.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the fandom really cares. It's the same "some people" that Trump talks about all the time who are "angry", and they're mostly just people jealous of her success. Probably misogynists as well.
Its always weird to me that Trump's supporters look at him telling all of Europe, Mexico and Canada to go fuck themselves as an example of what a great diplomat he is, and also shaking hands and saying nice things about/to dictators as an example of what a great diplomat he is.
I'm not sure if I'm supposed to scoff at the things Trump talks about or if they're actually valid.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Lucas always struck me as a pretty nice guy. (Could be wrong of course.)

Rowling just seems awful.

Remember, Terfs have no friends.
To be fair to George, he wasn't a big fan of Republicans.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nute_Gunray/Legends
Nute Gunray's name had two sources from real life: The first was the Republican congressman Newt Gingrich, and the second was former president Ronald Reagan. The former source was because he primarily wrote the Trade Federation members in terms of motives and characterizations in response to the 1994 Republican Revolution (which occurred eight days into Lucas's draft-writing the film), specifically then-Speaker of the House Gingrich's Contract with America,[32]

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Nobody respects a writer who cant let the series go and move on.

If you wanna tell more stories in the potter universe sure go for it but constantly adding bits of weird shit nah.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody respects a writer who cant let the series go and move on.

If you wanna tell more stories in the potter universe sure go for it but constantly adding bits of weird shit nah.

I'm no Potter fan but the bit about the wizards shitting on the floor like animals is probably the greatest piece of stupid trivia for a major franchise I've ever seen.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
OP, imagine if JRR Tolkein was alive and said "btw, Gandalf is gay and always has been". There's no reason to state that other than making shit up to fetch controversy and be a fake ass individual.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
the problem is that there's nothing in the books that even hints towards Dumbledore being gay, it's something that may as well have been made up afterwards so rowling can seem progressive

This isn't really true. As much as I'm no longer a fan of Rowling, and wish she had made Dumbledore and Grindelwald's relationship emphatic — then in the novels, or now in the Fantastic Beasts movies — the subtext of their relationship came through loud and clear to LGBT readers.

That said, she doesn't get points for it, because it was left as subtext in-series, and because there was all of fuck all inclusion elsewhere, because ultimately she didn't value it enough to rock any boats. Entire boarding school of kids, and none of them are LGBT? Yeah, okay.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, imagine if JRR Tolkein was alive and said "btw, Gandalf is gay and always has been". There's no reason to state that other than making shit up to fetch controversy and be a fake ass individual.

I remember that George Takei was actually against Sulu being made gay in the reboot, too. It doesn't feel right to change a character just so it ticks a box, y'know? Dumbledore being gay is fine if it's actually meaningful and not just because Rowling was called out for not including LBGT characters.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
She keeps tucking with what she already creates and what people loved.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how people didn't pick up on the Dumbledore / Grindelwald relationship in the Deathly Hallows. I was a dumb straight kid in the deep south and picked up on it. In hindsight she definitely should have made it more explicit, but I don't think it was retconned opportunism.

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
It's not just the retcons, it's that the past few HP related things have been badly written. Something like The Crimes Of Grindelwald almost feels like a different writer.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm no Potter fan but the bit about the wizards shitting on the floor like animals is probably the greatest piece of stupid trivia for a major franchise I've ever seen.

For real... they are wizards why not transport the shit away before it comes out? They weave a spell around their asshole and bam never a problem.

Who is sitting around and is like "you know what the fans need to hear? Floooooor shittin magic!!!! It's like a rick and morty joke"

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
she had her 5min of fame, being the most paid author in history and after the series ended (both books and movies), she just can't get enough of the limelight.

Why do you think Fantastic Beast happened. She had more money than most authors ever lived already so the need to create a new series of books movies based on the wizarding world is clearly not motivated by MORE money but rather more fame...or least to be still in the limelight and conversation. And the problem is that it's just too apparent, what with her constant nonsensical tweets.

At least that's my conjecture.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because she's trying to appear "supportive" in the most safe and insincere way by just blurting out tidbits of meaningless "lore" on Twitter masking the fact she doesn't/can't write any LGBTQ character despite the sizable fandom of that audience to begin with.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
she's trying to appear "supportive" in the most safe and insincere way by just blurting out tidbits of meaningless "lore" on Twitter masking the fact she doesn't/can't write any LGBTQ character despite the sizable fandom of that audience to begin with.
Not just that, but she literally had an opportunity with the second Fantastic Beasts film and literally created a contrived plot point to not have Dumbledore interact with his former lover.