• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, if you live in the MCU, especially if you live in MCU NYC, when something happens across the globe you're probably just thinking "well at least it didn't happen here this time". Insane shit happens all the time, and a big frozen rock thing in the ocean that doesnt move or change probably isn't on the forefront of peoples' minds, especially compared to the giant octopus that floated through NYC, the Statue of Liberty collapsing, and the sky rewinding 2000 years.
Sure but that's NYC, we just had a TV series where two of the six episodes took place in Pakistan which 100% would have been affected by the emergence, and would have been a perfect opportunity for any kind of references to it.

I also think people really overstate the "giant floating octopus" in the grand scheme of things, it keeps getting brought up in comparrison to the Celestial but that fight took place over like three city blocks, Strange and Wong handled it on their own, and it was over in like 5 minutes. Unless people were in that immediate vicinity they would have never known it happened VS the tallest object on the planet suddenly rising from the sea, creating unknown destruction across multiple continents, and remaining there indefinitely.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
What about how a major plot point of FFH revolved around an extremely significant character death from a movie which had come out 2 months prior?

You'll notice that they released a different trailer (complete with spoiler warning!) after Endgame. Also, I said unrelated movies; Infinity War and Endgame both involved Spider-Man.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
The movie isn't even a year old yet lol y'all sound silly.
…Yes… and there have been seven MCU entries in that time. How is that an argument? They don't write these movies and shows in a void, they knew how Eternals would end when writing everything that came after it.

The entire point of the MCU is an interconnected world where the events of one movie has effects on others. It's fair to say it's weird that a year and seven entries later the literally planet-breaking aftermath of Eternals haven't been mentioned anywhere else even in passing. Ms Marvel took place in a country that would have been directly affected by the Celestial birth and a perfect opportunity to mention it.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Eternals for the first time last week. It was only the second MCU movie I didn't see in theaters (Thor 2 was the first). It was much better than I expected, it really was fairly different from the other MCU movies which gave it some extra points in my eyes. At the end though, after seeing the shot of the celestial from orbit, my very first thought was "I'm shocked that nobody mentioned this in any of the other MCU stuff." That being said, I didn't feel we have had a project that SHOULD have referenced it. I like that we have some slow burn stuff in the MCU

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Because the Eternals released like, just a bit over half a year ago and Marvel movies generally don't spoil the end of other movies so soon after they released? The MCU isn't a living breathing universe of its own, it's just a series of stories that are sometimes interconnected. And as much as people talk about how interconnected the MCU is, they've been actually very good about not just throwing rando references to other movies/events in unless it actually matters to the story.

I guarantee that the Celestial will matter again at some point. Shit, Marvel dedicated a significant portion of Endgame to making Thor 2 relevant.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
You'll notice that they released a different trailer (complete with spoiler warning!) after Endgame. Also, I said unrelated movies; Infinity War and Endgame both involved Spider-Man.
Having it be in a trailer, warning or not, is even *more* spoil-y; that's more media surface area regardless. As for interconnected, these are all still marvel products; they all still take place in the same universe and for the most part the same planet. I can't think of a more impactful global event outside of the Avengers movies than "planet grows a mass 5 times the size of Everest". Marvel most certainly does not care about spoiling their old movies.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Eternals and had the same thoughts. I understand the move didn't do the best, but I mean...

Metal Gear?!

Banned
Jun 26, 2020
People in the MCU at this point:
FYj_KD9XoAAU9B5
There's also this:
v5reoc8ixub81.png

I'd freak the fuck out if I saw that.
qJX4gsp.png

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Having it be in a trailer, warning or not, is even *more* spoil-y; that's more media surface area regardless. As for interconnected, these are all still marvel products; they all still take place in the same universe and for the most part the same planet. I can't think of a more impactful global event outside of the Avengers movies than "planet grows a mass 5 times the size of Everest". Marvel most certainly does not care about spoiling their old movies.

The character in question was also a major player in the first Spider-Man MCU film. It would've been laughable to try making a sequel to Homecoming without mentioning that Peter's idol and mentor died to save the whole universe and Peter was present for that and at his funeral.

On the other hand, Strange was in NMH but little of what happened in that film actually affected him all that much. Heck, he probably doesn't even remember most of it in the first place. And Marvel doesn't seem to have made it super-clear whether Thor and MoM actually take place after Eternals or not.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
True, what happened Eternals wasn't part of the plot in L&T, but Turning Red isn't the latest in a long line of a cinematic universe. The MCU has, at least up until Far From Home, acknowledged some of the crazy stuff that's happened before. They spoiled the audiences.

I'm sure it'll come up in one of their long list of projects in the next 24 months.
Turning Red is not part of the 9/11 Trauma Cinematic Universe.

Previous MCU films have set a precedent that there is continuity between them and events in one have ramifications in others.

Yes this is true, but not usually from movie to movie.

My real point is that people don't talk about events all the time. Even in the Netflix series is the events of Avengers was only mentioned like twice and that was in context of the greater ramifications of super people running around.

My point:

I don't know to me it just seems like people wanting these things to be referenced in every single movie is the same energy as the whole "Where's Poochy" thing.

Mention the thing that happened in the last movie/TV show so I know the movie I watched was in the MCU.

As a comic fan, I love crossovers and continuity. But I recognize it does not always need to be mentioned.

It's a shared universe but not everyone is going to refer to something that happen even days ago, let alone months or years ago.