• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So, ghost fiction, let me get this straight, some person was once killed in a very unjust and/or cruel manner and has become vengeful ghost. They will then haunt the location of their death and brutally murder people completely unrelated to those who wronged them, their only transgression being "trespass" in most cases (or maybe fucking in the presence of the ghost). So why don't the victims become angry ghosts of their own? Getting killed by some raging ghost seems like some pretty solid grounds for becoming an angry ghost yourself!

So why is there not a single piece of fiction where a vengeful ghost's killing spree ends in GHOST FIGHTS?

Where are my GHOST FIGHTS, horror movies? No I don't mean two pre-existing murderghosts so no Sadako vs Himiko or whatever the fuck. I want one where a ghost victim rises to have a GHOST FIGHT.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've found my shonen manga idea

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_meqacqPqjY1ruc4cuo1_500.gif

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
This is part of the reason I hate Ju-on and The Grudge movies. Like, the evil spirits come off so petty and just assholes in general after the first film(s).

Sarah Michelle Gellar should have came back and hunted that b**** and her son down and settled it, Ghost cage match.

Chromax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, my ghost self would be pretty pissed at that ghost. Like dude...wtf

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
How would a ghost scare another ghost? Ghosts want to cause terror and suffering. What would even happen if they fight each other, could they die again?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Occasionally in later films you'll see a victim from a previous film be incorporated into the haunt, but they usually don't have free will and are under the sway of the main ghost.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I think it be something like, they would locked in an eternal struggle with each other until they get bored and form a tech start up. The Haunting Grounds App, reviews for best spots to haunt.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The only explanation is that the newb ghosts are weaker than the ones who killed them and just get owned again.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Frighteners played with this a little, with Micheal J Fox's character "dying" briefly to fight off the bad guys that he couldn't handle on a physical realm.

At least, something like that, it's been 20 years

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
The Frighteners played with this a little, with Micheal J Fox's character "dying" briefly to fight off the bad guys that he couldn't handle on a physical realm.

At least, something like that, it's been 20 years

I love this movie. Wouldn't mind a reboot-ish remake helmed by a good director — Wright, Peele, possibly written/directed by Waller-Bridge, etc...

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what the Ghost lore is, as opposed to vampires who have more clear rules, but maybe ghost are like wine? They just don't have enough power to manifest themselves unless they angrily wait for years.

Another take is how Patrick Swayze in Ghost (1990) could not move objects or basically interact with anything until Vincent Schiavelli (who was dead for years) taught him how to use his "ghost powers".

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Ghosts can't see or interact with other ghosts that are created at a different time than them. Something to do planes of existence and tethers.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is part of the reason I hate Ju-on and The Grudge movies. Like, the evil spirits come off so petty and just assholes in general after the first film(s).

Sarah Michelle Gellar should have came back and hunted that b**** and her son down and settled it, Ghost cage match.
That's something I've noticed a lot in Japanese horror stories and stuff.
Generally in western/American horror stories/movies there's:
1. Usually a reason someone is being haunted or attacked. Maybe they broke a seal, maybe we're shitty to the ghost, maybe X
2. Usually a way to not get fucked by the ghost. A "logical" way of getting out safe. A ritual, asking for forgiveness, answering the correct things

but Japanese horror is like:
-There's this ghost
-he's a fucking dick
-he'll randomly appear to you for no reason at all
-he'll ask you something but no matter what you reply you're fucked
-there are no "innocent bystander" it's a fuckery free for all
-moral of the story is if you encounter a ghost you're fucked

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Story idea:
Classic setup wherein a family inherits some old spooky estate and decide to spend the weekend there, shockingly its haunted.
Thing is its been haunted for so long that its accumulated many ghosts, some typically mean-spirited (pun absolutely intended) and others more benevolent.
What follows is 2 days of the benevolent ghost doing their best to protect the hapless family from the dickhead ghosts while also keeping the family from discovering about them all.

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
Grove Markus, in Vampire D: Bloodlust temporarily "dies" in order to manifest as a holy ghost capable of vaporizing demons. Similar idea.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
American Horror Story?
Yeah, this is basically the roughest summation of 2 and a half seasons of American Horror Story.
But it's a Ryan Murphy show, so the "fights" are mostly people being catty and manipulative to each other, not so much a throw down like the OP may be picturing.
I think he means something closer to Sadako vs Kayako or Freddy vs Jason, but an in-universe spat rather than crossover horseshit.

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I Guess it'll be something like ghosts can't do shit to other ghosts.

Or that the new ghost is still weaker than the killer ghost to scare them

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I guess most normal ghost just want to move on to after life.
I mean are most vicious ghosts sooner or later will get got? They always lose.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
The vengeful ghost figure is characterized by the unjust ending of a life and the subsequent return and (un)deadening of that life. A ghost victim attacking their ghost killer would be (un)death against (un)death, which doesn't sit well when it's supposed to be (un)death against life. That's why the victims either stay dead or become instruments for the main ghost to use.

There's been times where ghost victims have intervened in the ghost's revenge, basically being poltergeists who throw stuff around or turn the lights off and prompt characters into getting their asses going. There's also been times when they've acted as flashbulb moments, giving the main character the insight to vanquish the ghost.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
If you become a ghost, you're stuck there as a ghost until the mystical medium comes along to help you pass over or go to the light, duh.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Because of the ghost union. Seniority decides who stays and who goes. If a ghost has move experience and years than you do.... they keep the house.

Last edited:

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
They don't fight exactly but that's kind of the twist In the first American horror story.

Edited as I missed the earlier answer.

Last edited:

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
the real question is why don't we ever see ghost sex? 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't freddy krueger dead? He and Jason fought I think. And Jason is dead too right.

I bet candyman could beat both of them in a fight. Especially with ghost bees.

Because of the ghost union. Seniority decides who stays and who goes. If a goes has move experience and years than you do.... they keep the house.

Wait so are the strongest ghosts like early cavemen ghosts? Or do we go back further along the evolutionary line? Single celled organism ghosts.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty sure there's an Adventure Time episode where Jake tries to do that against a Ghost Fly.

Nov 8, 2017
Super glad that nobody in any world war had unfinished business or was killed in an unjust way. Otherwise some parts of europe would be fucking overrun by an army of the dead 100x bigger than the one from LOTR.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Whose to say that they don't? Maybe that's why hauntings are so rare. The Ghost Police come hunt you down.

Ghost Police: Even in Death, you still gotta deal with them. (TM)

Bleach beat you to it
But are the Shinigami in Bleach really ghosts? That's technically the plot, but functionally....they're totally not.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of ghost stories avoid this by saying the ghost's sanity or memories aren't fully intact after death, so they only have a vague idea of where to direct their malice.