• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This may be naive of me, but it's just something I wonder. Media Create releases detailed Japanese sales data publicly every week for software and hardware, meanwhile NPD holds all the figures tight to their chest, basically releases very little if anything. At best we get "hints" of how well hardware is doing. So how come? I'm sure Media Create manages to make money with their analytics business despite providing these numbers to the public.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I would also love to know the answer to this question. It's always been so strange to me that both MC and Famitsu can release weekly numbers of actual units sold for hardware and software, and for NPD we get monthly rankings three or four weeks after the month ends and no actual units sold.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Competition? Famitsu and Dengeki release (parts of) their numbers publicly too, so even while MC is considered to be more reliable, they might feel forced to also give a more extensive look into their numbers free of charge to stay competetive.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
To add, gaming seems to be one of the very few pop culture industries that don't release numbers in the US. You can access Nielsen ratings, box office grosses, Soundscan and Billboard, as well as book sales quite easily.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's always struck me as strange how secretive the gaming industry is with this stuff. Every other industry is very open about sales figures, and even production costs in the case of movies.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
They used to, but IIRC Sony strong-armed the NPD out of doing it.

NPD doesn't have much clout, and they're not going to waste it campaigning for public disclosure of numbers.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
NPD is a joke. They have no competition so they realized years ago they were giving away info for free and anyone who leaked data would be sued. It's complete bullshit.

Doesn't matter though. As market keeps trending to digital their real numbers will become less and less accurate and will be hoarded internally among digital store front players. Market will turn similar to streaming platforms where no one has any clue what the hell is going on and who is succeeding.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Less publisher and partner would be on board if they would expose all the numbers to the public like that.

Like Sony early last Gen with the PS3 or MS this Gen when they stopped providing shipment numbers. Same for publishers and software bombas ....

It's much difficult to spin your own narrative when all the data is out there for the public to compare and doublecheck. We used to clown a bunch of Sony/MS/Nintendo PR in the past...guess why it doesnt happen anymore ?

Publisher don't want to get exposed - in comparison with movies were we get budget information and how much a film made... SE won't tell us what something like FF XV cost them in total and you know why.

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
There's a tangled web of corporate trust, federal laws protecting investors, and plain not enough true data with digital sales.

Basically even if they did it wouldnt be a true number these days because of the vastness of the digital market, which could affect investors, which could hurt relations with the publishers/platform holders.

Oct 25, 2017
Sales data is stuff you don't want to give to competitors, fundamentally, not to mention it's easier to spin your results with Bezos numbers rather than actual numbers. I think the fundamental difference is as stated NPD doesn't have any real competition.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Less publisher and partner would be on board if they would expose all the numbers to the public like that.

Like Sony early last Gen with the PS3 or MS this Gen when they stopped providing shipment numbers. Same for publishers and software bombas ....

It's much difficult to spin your own narrative when all the data is out there for the public to compare and doublecheck. We used to clown a bunch of Sony/MS/Nintendo PR in the past...guess why it doesnt happen anymore ?

Publisher don't want to get exposed - in comparison with movies were we get budget information and how much a film made... SE won't tell us what something like FF XV cost them in total and you know why.

Sony did release early last gen shipment data. It was after Vita bombing (so sometime 2012) that they started to combine PSP and Vita and PS3 and PS2 for the while.Then after PS4 launch they completely stopped sharing late Vita and PS3 shipments and only have showed PS4 shipments.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, you always had to give money to NPD for the numbers. Its just that numbers were always leaked on GAF and there was a certain point where a lawsuit was threatened, I believe. For a while there was officially released top 10 unit numbers from NPD to GAF but that ended as well. And of course NPD combines multi platforms into their numbers. It's all a shit show. Wish there was a competitor.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't these reports also cost a couple grand too?

So basically if you're a consumer, video game sales don't exist in America. It's best to just hope for companies to report their own game sales at the end of a fiscal year.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the points in this thread against releasing numbers are stupid considering we get numbers despite those reasons for Box Office, Bill Board, TV, and most other major entertainment industries.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's always the gaming industry with all the secrecy. Just look at Box Office, TV, music and even books.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Because revenue matters more than units? It does not make sense to make a ranking based on units when games selling 100k copies at $10 would be higher than and other games that only made 50k at $60...

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Because revenue matters more than units? It does not make sense to make a ranking based on units when games selling 100k copies at $10 would be higher than and other games that only made 50k at $60...
Sure but they don't give revenue figures? Only rankings based off revenue.

This isn't an NPD only thing though, GfK/Chart-Track doesn't give out figures either. Or maybe more accurately the Japanese market is unique, likely owing to the publishing based origins of it's trackers plus the fact there's actual competition between them.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Because NPD sells those numbers and make money off of them. They're not going to release them for free and those who leaked them got in trouble.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Didn't they also make a deal with multiple publishers to include digital, but one of the terms was that they wouldn't release exact numbers anymore?

That's not the sole reason, of course.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, you always had to give money to NPD for the numbers. Its just that numbers were always leaked on GAF and there was a certain point where a lawsuit was threatened, I believe. For a while there was officially released top 10 unit numbers from NPD to GAF but that ended as well. And of course NPD combines multi platforms into their numbers. It's all a shit show. Wish there was a competitor.

Amazing how all of this is incorrect.

The reports back in the day had full volumes for hw and sw because the data agreements with publishers and retailers allowed them. Those agreements no longer allow these things.

There are plenty of competitors that publish a lot of stuff. Difference is NPD tracks actual point of sale data, while others publish based on survey and extrapolation.

Because what we track is data from publishers and retailers, we must have agreements in place in order to utilize that data. If publishers and retailers do not wish that data to be public, well it is their data.

Other regions or territories may have different views on this issue.

If it were up to me, more data would be made available. But it's not, so it isn't.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's always the gaming industry with all the secrecy. Just look at Box Office, TV, music and even books.

It's funny. Gaming fans are obsessed with the numbers and the industry doesn't release them, whereas most other entertainment industries do release the numbers and by and large the communities are much less bothered.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017

The reports back in the day had full volumes for hw and sw because the data agreements with publishers and retailers allowed them. Those agreements no longer allow these things.

There are plenty of competitors that publish a lot of stuff. Difference is NPD tracks actual point of sale data, while others publish based on survey and extrapolation.

Because what we track is data from publishers and retailers, we must have agreements in place in order to utilize that data. If publishers and retailers do not wish that data to be public, well it is their data.

If it were up to me, more data would be made available. But it's not, so it isn't.

Well, there it is.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Thanks for clarifying Mat and dispelling misinformation.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I looked back at the original thread on GAF about the changes with NPD, and you're right. I had most of it wrong, this was from 2007, but the NPD did have an agreement with GAF to release certain numbers and then went back on it. Which is a shame.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh, we're you around back then? His post is not incorrect. for a time NPD was specifically catering requests to GAF because the sales threads were getting so many hits and quite a few leaks.
https://www./threads/the-future-of-npd-info-on-neogaf-update.132850/

As the PS3 started to slow in NA and the Vita tanking Sony started leading the charge on very purposeful misleading or vague PR statements. Other companies followed suit. That's also when NPD went into hard lock down and for a time stopped releasing any revenue or unit numbers publically (not a single title) and there was hard core pressure to clamp down on any leaks. Thankfully that buttsonatrain guy or whatever from GAF started hard leaking tons of stuff every month but he too after a while was completely cut off.

NPD sucks and has been a leader of cutting off transparency across an industry for their own personal financial gain (they absolutely could push back on publishers or be strategic in negotiations and what they offer). No other entertainment form has this level of bullshit and all other major regions have more visibility into tracking despite being less prominent from a business standpoint. For decades the film, music, and TV industries have been sentenced to death due to public viewership and sales data. Why Shouldn't the video game industry be held to the same fire?

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I looked back at the original thread on GAF about the changes with NPD, and you're right. I had most of it wrong, this was from 2007, but the NPD did have an agreement with GAF to release certain numbers and then went back on it. Which is a shame.

It was a shame. We do give what we can to Zhuge every month for the thread, and I'm here (although this type of outreach is nowhere in my JD) so those of us on the games business actually do care about this stuff.

It's done because of PR isn't it?

Because not releasing detailed data points is more effective for PR than having business news publications, cable news and websites slapping the logo everywhere while using NPD data to highlight the biggest trends???

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. Gaming fans are obsessed with the numbers and the industry doesn't release them, whereas most other entertainment industries do release the numbers and by and large the communities are much less bothered.

That's totally not true. Have you seen the music industry and certain fan groups? People are obsessed with those numbers.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
there's one thing I am curious about

back in the day, NPD sent a cease and desist to GAF, right? and today, if someone would not leak but straight-up provide numbers without any sort of secrecy in this forum, NPD would take measures so my question is:

Why does NPD care about it? I mean, shouldn't the affected 3rd parties (Sony, MS, EA, etc) send those C&D to those info providers and not NPD itself?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Because not releasing detailed data points is more effective for PR than having business news publications, cable news and websites slapping the logo everywhere while using NPD data to highlight the biggest trends???

Its more like, releasing hard numbers on games that tanked would be "bad" PR. So it would be in that publishers best interest that you didn't publish that data.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its more like, releasing hard numbers on games that tanked would be "bad" PR. So it would be in that publishers best interest that you didn't publish that data.

Ah. You're talking about publisher or retailer PR. Gotcha.

Yeah, can't speak to the motivations of others. Would be great PR for us to have more info out there (which is why so much was released back in the day).

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate the answer, thank you.