• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why hasn't a 60 FPS upgrade for Bloodborne been released?

• A Remaster is planned

Votes: 445 35.8%
  • It's not technically feasible

Votes: 121 9.7%
  • It's an older game and a patch is not worth the time or resources

Votes: 676 54.4%

• Total voters

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Sony don't care at all. From at least unlocked the framerate of Dark Souls III with PS4 Pro update and now is running with 60fps on PS5. Bloodborne is the only Souls game stuck in 30fps frame-pacing hell for forever.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Would Sony really need FROM to make a 60 FPS patch? Sony owns the game and thus the source code, don't they? I don't think I'd want anyone doing any design work outside of FROM, but I don't necessarily think FROM needs to be involved in a technical patch.
They definetly own the game, but they might not own the engine. Even if they do, they wouldn't understand it, so it would require a Bluepoint like effort to properly figure out the code to make a 60 fps patch. It's not trivial especially if you put a western developer on a Japanese code base lol. So either approach would be pretty costly.

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've said it already on here but I believe they didn't want to 'overshadow' demon's souls release. Think Sony will release the patch over the Xmas period maybe even on Xmas day as a gift to the ps5 users!

I'm half serious!

Oct 25, 2017
One guy untangled all that code on his free time.
If your console bricks due to some rare issue with the one guy's code, he won't give you another console, you modded your system and game, it's your responsibility. Sony doesn't get to get away with it this easily if PS5s start blowing up because of the patch. It's a commercial product, new code means testing. New work means new contract, and money exchanging hands.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
One guy untangled all that code on his free time.

That's not how game development works..lol.

One guy changing some lines of code and getting a possible 60 fps version running does not negate the need for a full QA pass and cert and a whole bunch of other stuff to make sure something didn't go haywire somewhere.

A fan patch having an undiscovered bug that enables 60 fps but possibly nukes your console if you do five different things in a row might be acceptable, but that's not acceptable for a fully developed and released title.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
What I don't get is how they don't patch all the ps plus collection games to take full advantage of the ps5. That should be the whole point of that collection.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
??? Just because it's not developed by a 1st party dev doesn't mean it's not a 1st party product. The games are owned by Sony and thus, they will be owning the source code.

Do you think Nintendo will not have a copy of Smash Bros Ultimate source code?
Sure, but unless you do a full remake it's simply not cost effective to not involve the original developer again. Sony has no documentation on the From engine and a team would have to work themselves into it first, which is expensive. Not to mention companies have all kinds of build tools and pipelines Sony would have to re-create locally first to even create a new build of the game themselves.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
If Sony can patch it themselves, they might be slowly dripping out new updates to keep interest high. Do it for a few games at launch (Days Gone, Sushi, etc.) and release patches every several months for games like TLoU2 or Bloodborne to get people talking about the system again. I mean isn't it even weirder that no Naughty Dog titles have been upgraded to 60 fps?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
PS5 is already selling out. Sony isn't all that interested in going back and updating old games when there's no direct commercial incentive.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
definitely passing the buck onto the remaster. hopefully it's not $70 for just 4k/60, or something of the sort

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't find it to be financially worthwhile.

That's it. That's the reason.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

One guy changing some lines of code and getting a possible 60 fps version running does not negate the need for a full QA pass and cert and a whole bunch of other stuff to make sure something didn't go haywire somewhere.

A fan patch having an undiscovered bug that enables 60 fps but possibly nukes your console if you do five different things in a row might be acceptable, but that's not acceptable for a fully developed and released title.
Yeah and the game was running sub 720p lol. People neglect to talk about that a lot more has to go into it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Simple.

Everyone that's going to buy the game already has. A patch won't make more people buy it so its just throwing money away.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's worth the time/energy/money. Sony would have to either get from software back when their busy working on other projects or get an internal studio to work on an unfamiliar codebase. They could do it, but it would cost a decent amount and by then nothing but good will.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
If your console bricks due to some rare issue with the one guy's code, he won't give you another console, you modded your system and game, it's your responsibility. Sony doesn't get to get away with it this easily if PS5s start blowing up because of the patch. It's a commercial product, new code means testing. New work means new contract, and money exchanging hands.

So? Lance also was willing to do it for free. You think Sony has coders willing to do the same for free in between their other projects? There's no comparison between these situations.

I get that, it would obviously take money to put some employees on the project and then go through the QA process. Bloodborne is my favorite ps4 game so I'm just annoyed that sony doesn't put any resources into fixing the framepacing or boosting the game to 60fps when a bunch of other games from sony/ms have done so. It's a popular game so a ton of people would love for that to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, it would obviously take money to put some employees on the project and then go through the QA process. Bloodborne is my favorite ps4 game so I'm just annoyed that sony doesn't put any resources into fixing the framepacing or boosting the game to 60fps when a bunch of other games from sony/ms have done so. It's a popular game so a ton of people would love for that to happen.
It's my favorite game as well, bought a PS4 for it. I share your pain, I'm just not convinced Sony cares.

At least Demon's Souls getting a remake did give me some hope that they may care a little. Gravity Rush 2 and The Last Guardian will never get anything, though.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
They just released a souls game for the PS5 launch, if Bloodborne is going to get a patch expect it sometime next year.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
the best hope would be an eventual PC port that'd allow the team working on it to do a remaster for PS5 at the same time.
Remastering it just for PS5 ain't worth it for Sony considering you can just play the PS4 version already.
and even a PC port wouldn't guarantee anything considering Horizon Zero Dawn didn't receive anything for PS5 despite the PC version being made beforehand.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Game has been developed using FROM engine, FROM is busy with Bandai Namco's Elden Ring and Sony may consider that making a team learn the engine and improve the game is too much effort for a game that won't really sell more copies.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's probably not worth their while to make one, it's an old game that's not going to make them any more money if they do a patch.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
No money is in it for Sony. It's a $10 game that has peaked in sales and the total number of people who would buy a PS5 for a 60fps patch are probably the same amount posting in this thread.

However, we know they value souls games. The more likely scenario at this point is that they change/improve it in some way that allows it to be completely re marketed and re-sold. I think that is far more likely than a patch.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm​

It helps that a lot of those games were newer/developed by internal studios. Bloodborne unfortunately is a pretty specific case that makes any additional work incredibly expensive.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Lack of interest and Sony being Sony. Let's not forget that Bloodborne didn't even get a Pro patch so at this point I don't think it will happen. It's more likely they will make some sort of remaster in the future and sell it at full price.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The One X of Dark Souls 3 never got a patch either, From moves on quick once they're done with DLC

Oct 25, 2017
Sony can't even get a lot of their own first-party games from the PS2/PS3 era onto the PS5. They just don't care about "old" games.