• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
As a kid, I honestly hated Nickelback just because of how overplayed they were on the radio. It also doesn't help that the tone and melodies of the songs themselves were oftentimes as bland as bland could get and elicited no emotion at all. I'll forever associate those songs with the frequent hot summer car rides to football practice. I'm pretty sure those conditioned me to feel queasy whenever I hear the singer's gravely-ass voice.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine Dragons are currently going through a similar treatment.

By no means a bad band, but overplayed and it's cool to "meme" them by saying they are terrible.

I was fine with Imagine Dragons until Thunder. That song is a crime against humanity, and far worse than anything Nickelback has ever done.

Outside of that, they are fine, though.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They're nothing special and much of it sounds the same although I enjoyed a bunch of songs.

People Just like to jump on bandwagons and dump in things for no reason.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
It's cheesy rock music

I don't hate it

I just avoid it

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is funny how Hero sounds exactly like most of Nickelback songs yet I still like it a lot

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I really don't know. They're so inoffensively generic with some catchy songs, I think it's just a meme to loathe them at this point.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
I dont mind them at all. Dont love thete music but some of their songs I do enjoy. Amazing because I used to troll people and currently do in online games by saying nickelback is the best heavy metal band of all time and man do people get mad

Oct 27, 2017
I dont mind them at all. Dont love thete music but some of their songs I do enjoy. Amazing because I used to troll people and currently do in online games by saying nickelback is the best heavy metal band of all time and man do people get mad

No wonder they got mad when you mislabeled them like that. Everyone knows Nickelback is technical math metal.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
They're one of the most popular and successful bands of that era, and like virtually every other pop band...they homogenized their sound to ensure maximum profits.

Now that we've settled that can we talk about the bangers on Creed's My Own Prison? Or should I start a new thread?

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
It's just bland music and Kroeger is a bit of a dick. And then the memes. I guess it covers most of it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
someone did a mashup of their songs all sounding the same years ago and that was that.

I have always had an irrational hatred for that video. It takes How You Remind Me and Someday and smashes them together. Whoever made it changed the key and tempo of Someday, and even then they really don't mesh together at all. The idea is sound, but the execution was really poor.

I mean, if you allow tempo and key changes, you could do that with 95% of music, as all you are pointing out is that they go verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus. Like just about all pop music.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the main beef with nickleback is that while they are a band with *some* talent they were also pushed way above their pay grade due to the marketing machine around them. So I think a lot of people clown on them because they think that they don't deserve most of the accolades they've got since their success was very manufactured.
It's this. I might not hate them as much as I do if they weren't crammed down our throats so much, especially in that first year. But it turned me away from radio rock and toward other music so for that I will be forever grateful to them.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
Bought Silverside Up when I was a teen, and that album spoke to my angsty ass on sooooo many levels.

I like them!

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
I did a complete 180 on many songs or bands that were successful in my teenage to mid twenty years. I liked nickelback back then but it slowly turned around. On the other hand I hated Backstreet Boys, but now I think some of their songs were pretty good as far as mainstream popsongs go.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
I do think their song "figured you out" is one of the worst songs of all time. Meme or not they are not a good band in my book.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I think it was mostly overexposure. You couldn't escape hearing their songs on TV, radio, movies, everywhere non-stop.

This Batman Begins commercial is what made me hate them:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I dislike them about as much as any other American pop rock band from that era. I just think they're super generic, and I really don't like their lyrics.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I used to listen to them, but just can't any more. The music sounds boring and uninspired to me now.

I read or heard that Chad Kroeger and maybe the band in general tried to make the music sound perfect(?). Which if true makes sense, because their songs all kind of sound the same to me.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't hate them specifically, but I dislike that style of music. That late 90s/early 00s post-grunge rock sound. It's not my style and if I would've heard it on the radio back then, I would've switched the station.

Imagine Dragons are currently going through a similar treatment.

By no means a bad band, but overplayed and it's cool to "meme" them by saying they are terrible.
I just don't like their songs and they are overplayed. When you hear a song you like overplayed, you start to grow sour to it, but if you hear a song you don't like overplayed, you start to HATE IT even more. I can say the same for Adele's "Hello", which I kinda liked, but was overplayed to hell and back to the point I can't hear that song anymore. I'm just over it. It's like the saying, "Hell is repetition."

Oct 26, 2017
I listened to Nickelback a *lot* when I was growing up. They're not the worst band I've ever heard. I'd like to say that I'm indifferent to them, but I just find them to be painfully generic.

This fella tried to get to the bottom of the Nickelback hate:

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Never hated them. I enjoyed their music initially during middle school & high school but damn they were played so much that I just grew tired I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
They're boring, massively overplayed generic "rock" that somehow survived the early 2000s glut of boring, massively overplayed generic "rock" despite not evolving as musicians.

The hate is overblown though as everyone wasting their time hating Nickelback should be aiming their ire at our collective true enemy: fucking Kid Rock.