• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Myriad reasons:

- Anakin was like his brother and earlier in the film had literally saved his life

- Killing a helpless foe is antithetical to the code of the Jedi

- There was no reason to suspect Anakin was going to survive. He was literally burning up.

The bigger inconsistency is why Obi Wan was able to hold his own against Anakin when the film had clearly established that Anakin was the most powerful Jedi in existence.

He was able to kill Dooku with relative ease - something even Yoda couldn't manage. The only other person who might have given him a decent challenge was Windu, who effectively beat Palpatine.

My assumption is that Anakin was weakened by his turn to the dark side. Otherwise, he should have made mincemeat of Obi Wan long before the high ground moment.
Obi-Wan isn't supposed to be a chump either. He's a master of Form III which is defense oriented. I had also imagined the two had sparred a lot against each other in training so the pair were pretty familiar with each other's style.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
according to star wars Lore, anakin was already dead at that point because he was darth vader

so obi-wan should have finished the job

Oct 27, 2017
And I repeat the Jedi aren't light speed. Those energy barriers were instaneous and even if he was fast enough it's like saying you should run through a busy motorway even if you technically could would you?

He didn't need to be light-speed. He made it to the last energy barrier before being trapped, so doing a super-run at 3x his usual speed or whatever would have got him through to help out Qui-Gon. You're either misremembering or too stubborn to admit you're wrong on this. The super-run was a dumb idea that IIRC was never used again and should not have been in there at all. Especially when it breaks the logic later in the same movie.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Era users in this thread acting like they would ever have what it takes to mercilessly finish off their surrogate son/brother.

I mean, no, but I think if I got to the point where I'm ok with dismemberment of 3 limbs and leaving the guy to burn in lava, it's hard to imagine getting to that point but not having it in myself to finish the job and make what should be an inevitable result (death very soon) as quick as possible

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I don't know, he looked pretty much like he was left for dead anyways. I dont know if in Star Wars its common for people who are chopped up and severely burned to recover with cyber enhancements.

Who cares at this point with how the overwhelming majority of Star Wars films have terrible writing and are ridiculous

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Because he had the high ground, and you don't just give that up! He even watched Anakin burn up and decided the high ground was too important to give up.

Really though, I think chopping him and watching him burn up was enough emotional trauma for one day.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
He loved the guy so he wasn't going to murder him. The whole scene was self defense by Obi Wan.

But leaving a dismembered person to die in a lava field, while he pleads for mercy IS pretty darn close to murder... probably closer to murder than killing him to put him out of his misery.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell lmao.

......Obi-wan had literally gone to the planet to kill Anakin to personal kill Anakin in the first place. He wasn't defending himself. He even ignited his lightsaber first. Just because Obi-wan uses an inherently defensive and counter based fighting style doesn't mean he wasn't full on trying to kill Anakin the entire time.
1. As other people already pointed out, he was sent there by Yoda and Obi explicitly said back then that he won't be able to do it.
2. I wasn't talking about lightsaber form shit that's never relevant in the movies, I was talking about the emotional strain of fighting someone in a duel to the death versus the emotional strain of finishing off a broken husk of a man who you considered your brother literally hours earlier. It's one thing to say you're going to kill someone, but another thing entirely to actually do it.

I'm not going to deny that the prequels are mostly badly written and there's a lot of stupid shit in them, but Obi-Wan not killing off an already dying Anakin (who, as was established and outright said just before Obi-Wan left, Kenobi loved like a brother) like you would a wounded, trapped animal is not bad writing, it's a human being acting like a human being.
During the fight, every time Obi-Wan tries to talk to Anakin it's because he doesn't want to kill him and is making sure, over and over again, that there is no other way, clinging to every last bit of hope that maybe there is a scenario in which this doesn't have to end with him killing Anakin. The meme 'high ground' line is Obi Wan's last attempt to do everything in his power to not be forced to kill Anakin.
After Anakin is disabled, Obi-Wan is visibly emotionally broken and basically crying. You don't exactly make calculated, rational decisions in such a state.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The old Star Wars Behind the Magic CD-ROM from 1998 reckoned that they had the fight over a volcano and Anakin fell in. Amazing that Lucas already had the perfect, ambiguous demise for Anakin already laid out and then still managed to screw it up when putting it to film.

Nov 17, 2017
It doesn't need to be explained by the movie imo. You can see it in Ewan McGregor's acting that he just doesn't have it in him to kill his friend. It overwhelms him to see his friend like that so he leaves.

Uhh he 100% left him to die in agony. I would NEVER leave a friend like that. Ever.
I think you'd find it a lot harder to pull the trigger on a friend who was dying in real life. It's easy to say you would put them out of their misery when typing it in a computer on a forum about a fantasy story but in real life, that's a HUGE emotional hurdle. It's not like Obi-Wan was like "Lol fuck you Anakin, enjoy your burns!" He was pained to even see his friend like that and left because he couldn't bare to look anymore let alone murder him. Maybe from a purely pragmatic perspective Obi-Wan fucked up but it was a human reaction imo.

Plus you have to consider in this hypothetical situation if your friend had just pledged their loyalty to a facist dictator and murdered children and he was just trying to murder you before. It's not like a leaving a good friend hanging kind of situation.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Obi-Wan isn't supposed to be a chump either. He's a master of Form III which is defense oriented. I had also imagined the two had sparred a lot against each other in training so the pair were pretty familiar with each other's style.

You are absolutely correct that he's no lightweight. The thing I predicate my analysis on however is that not even Yoda could finish off Dooku in AotC and Anakin defeated him with relative ease (after Obi got knocked out of commission no less) at the start of Sith.

But there is the argument to be made that Anakin's embracement of the darkside weakened him. It's the same reason Kylo - who was wounded but still should have made short work of two amateurs - was basically halved by the act of killing his father. The dark side is weaker, thus it nullifies what was once much more powerful and effective.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i always interpreted that scene like this:
It was very likely he would die by the burning, and since anakin was like a adopted son to him, he couldnt give the kill hit, and it didnt seem necessary.
I think thats quite natural to be honest

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
The old Star Wars Behind the Magic CD-ROM from 1998 reckoned that they had the fight over a volcano and Anakin fell in. Amazing that Lucas already had the perfect, ambiguous demise for Anakin already laid out and then still managed to screw it up when putting it to film.

Actually, there's an even older allusion to this fight in the novelization for Return of the Jedi.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Jedis kill people all the time (I realize they tried to get around that with droids being the main antagonists, but c'mon) but I guess as long as you're not angry about it it's ok?

The dumber thing is why did he beat Anakin then just give up and live as a hermit watching over Luke (who he gave no guidance to)? Same for Yoda. Well, we gave it our best college try, time to let the universe suffer as I grow old. Sooo many ways to have written a bridge to the OT but no, we got this.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
A Darth Vader figurine I had as a kid, that was released before the prequels came out, explained on the packaging that he was deformed after he lost a duel with Obi-wan and was badly burned. When the movie was released I was surprised that they followed that explanation exactly.

So in other words the outcome of their duel was predetermined before the prequels even began production. It was believable to me anyway, it makes sense that Obi-wan couldn't finish the job and kill someone he loved. I mean, hell, he even spent the rest of his life looking after his son. He clearly cared a great deal about Anakin.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Because had to stay consistent with the rest of the movies, even if it looked hamfisted.

At the end of that movie, all the key characters left to go to their starting points in the original trilogy as if they had appointments to make. There was no good reason for Yoda to just leave and abandon the entire world the way he did, and there was no reason for Obi-wan to just leave his friend maimed and burning to death without at least dragging him out of the fire or something. They had to go to their places in the original trilogy, and George Lucas did a very poor job of coming up with something that would make them make those moves believably.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Surprised nobody has mentioned yet that Anakin was originally supposed to beg Obi-Wan to help him. You can see his mouth moving in the scene, but the sound is muted. Also, Anakin's eyes were to change after Obi-Wan refused. I would post a source, but I the only one I found is from a channel that I don't think is allowed here.

Obi-Wan at this point believes he is beyond redemption, as noted with his use of past-tense. As others have pointed out, killing him at this point wouldn't be the Jedi way.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
My interpretation is when they mean most powerful they mean with the force, not lightsaber wise.

Obi Wan is like the best defensively trained jedi.

This is a fair point when you also consider that Anakin is arguably diminished in power by his pivot to the dark side. If the dark side is weaker and Anakin is largely hobbled by his anger (mingled with pre-existing arrogance) I think that makes sense.

Obi Wan is certainly no joke and in terms of power rankings he would seem to hover comfortably in the Top Five.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
He had chopped off three limbs and let him burn next to a lava field. You can even see Anakin mouth "help me master" before the I hate you.

I think that was actually Hayden's dialogue in that scene which was removed afterwards but you can still see it.

Surprised nobody has mentioned yet that Anakin was originally supposed to beg Obi-Wan to help him. You can see his mouth moving in the scene, but the sound is muted. Also, Anakin's eyes were to change after Obi-Wan refused. I would post a source, but I the only one I found is from a channel that I don't think is allowed here

Which is consistent with Obi-wan in the OT, who still believed Vader to be irredeemable evil and Anakin was dead.

Luke is the one who believed he could be saved and he was right.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Surprised nobody has mentioned yet that Anakin was originally supposed to beg Obi-Wan to help him. You can see his mouth moving in the scene, but the sound is muted. Also, Anakin's eyes were to change after Obi-Wan refused. I would post a source, but I the only one I found is from a channel that I don't think is allowed here.

Obi-Wan at this point believes he is beyond redemption, as noted with his use of past-tense. As others have pointed out, killing him at this point wouldn't be the Jedi way.
Lucas did the right thing removing that line. It would have made Obi-Wan look vastly worse than he already did in the scene.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bigger inconsistency is why Obi Wan was able to hold his own against Anakin when the film had clearly established that Anakin was the most powerful Jedi in existence.

Obi-Wan is a highly defensive fighter, possibly the best the Jedi Order had, and he had literally taught Anakin everything he knew. While it's true Anakin had mastered abilities beyond Obi-Wan's level, in the end, it was Obi-Wan that knew Anakin best and was the most capable of holding his own in a duel.

What helped Obi-Wan turn that into a win was simply that Anakin had been through a lot and was both unstable and couldn't think straight. Using the Force requires intense focus, but Anakin couldn't focus at all. He was being distracted by the dark side, by his own doubts and of course his delusions.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Obi-Wan is a highly defensive fighter, possibly the best the Jedi Order had, and he had literally taught Anakin everything he knew. While it's true Anakin had mastered abilities beyond Obi-Wan's level, in the end, it was Obi-Wan that knew Anakin best and was the most capable of holding his own in a duel.

What helped Obi-Wan turn that into a win was simply that Anakin had been through a lot and was both unstable and couldn't think straight. Using the Force requires intense focus, but Anakin couldn't focus at all. He was being distracted by the dark side, by his own doubts and of course his delusions.

I think this is a fair analysis of the situation.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I've always interpreted it as leaving Anakin to his fate. This is a foggy quote from memory but, "Don't do it homeboy! This jump is stupid! It's a bad look for you homie!!" And Anakin stuck his chest out and had to hold that L. Now he's got no legs. Yet he's still talking trash. Still mad. Ok...stay there, then. The last thing Obi Wan is going to do is pick up Anakin on his back and carry him like Luke did Yoda on Deggobah, just so he can keep talking reckless in his ears like that.

On top of that, he already laid hands on Padme. This fool was Wildin' Out! Nah, son. With Padme still caught up with emotions and carrying your kids, we can't have Anakin coming back carrying all that generational hate. Just let him stay there in that hot lava to think about it in the end. Told that fool not to jump.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
*Obi-Wan picks up the lightsaber and stares at his limbless brother he just cut up*
Anakin: You're so full of shit. You're such an ass...hoooole!
Obi-Wan: Well perhaps you're right. I don't know. I mean, I never wanted to hurt any-
*sees Anakin catch on fire*
Obi-Wan: OH SNAP!
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Cause the Jedi are total fuck ups. Obi-Wan was a total dim wit during the clone wars. He gets made a fool in like every episode.

Like why didn't George McClellan pursue the confederate army and finish them off? He Kenobi'd the Civil War.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It was written fine, his whole speech there is about how Anakin was his brother. He's not going to finish off the dude. He simply turns his back on him as he can't bare to watch him die. Y'all are too ruthless if you want him to personally cut off Anakin's head.

Yeah, he saw he'd probably die and so he turned his back. He didn't want to watch his closest friend and practical sibling die.
Yeah it's not badly written at all.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Because we already had a timeline after that was made before this film, and we knew they were in the same universe, so meh.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Would have been totally awesome if at the end Obi-Wan did kill Anakin and it's turned twist revealed that Vader was someone else and was only pretending to be Luke's father in an attempt to turn him to the dark side.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Everything is not bad writing good lord lol. Obi-wan said he couldn't kill Anakin, it's literally that simple. Before he even went to Mustafar he had already decided that regardless of what happens he wasn't going to kill him. He's not going to suddenly change his mind because he sees him on fire? lmao.
If someone I loved was dying in agony, I'd absolutely finish them off as a mercy. It'd also become clear at that point that the only way to stop Anakin was to kill him. As he walked away, surely he thought he'd succeeded? As he watched him burn, did he think he'd live? If so, why piss off such a powerful enemy and just let him go? If not, why not guarantee it for the safety of the galaxy?
I consider it bad writing because it made the character of Obi Wan either really stupid, or really heartless, and could've been avoided by not having the scene play out as it did. He can make up his mind before getting there all he wants but the second he found out his "brother" had gone postal and sliced up all the kids, and choked Padme half to death, that really should've given him some pause to reconsider that position. It rings false to say "he couldn't do it" after the 20 minute knock-down drag out they had across lava fields, swinging for each other's heads.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Watch the damn movie...
He didn't kill him because you don't simply kill your friend.

*ding ding ding ding*

I mean it's in the movie...

tumblr_inline_p95fwpIcEX1sqy18z_540.gif

tumblr_inline_p2mglkmGTN1u1xg5o_500.gifv

Edit:

Their fight in ANH is all the more profound when you consider that even after seeing what Anakin had become, Obi-Wan still couldn't kill his friend.

Goddman it, George Lucas is a genius.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Jedi aren't even like Super heroes they have no problem dropping fools if the situation called for it and then don't feel guilty about it because hey what to do

I feel like mercy killing should be fine lol it's not like Dooku where he was no threat and you could just arrest him

I will say one of the things that is refreshing about the Jedi is that they will smoke someone with zero hesitation if they feel it's necessary. They're so morally up their own ass that it occludes their humanity, so being a dispassionate killer tracts with that disposition.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I will say one of the things that is refreshing about the Jedi is that they will smoke someone with zero hesitation if they feel it's necessary. They're so morally up their own ass that it occludes their humanity, so being a dispassionate killer tracts with that disposition.
Mace Windu was ready to kill the chancellor zero hesitation

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
He could have potentially mercy killed him when he saw how he was suffering on that lava rock. However he just could not bring himself to do it because he had too much brotherly love for him. The movies were bad at showing it, but at least the expanded universe stuff like Clone Wars etc. showed how much they had been through together. After all they had been through most people would have a tough time killing a fellow friend/brother.

Oct 25, 2017
*ding ding ding ding*

I mean it's in the movie...

tumblr_inline_p95fwpIcEX1sqy18z_540.gif

tumblr_inline_p2mglkmGTN1u1xg5o_500.gifv

Edit:

Their fight in ANH is all the more profound when you consider that even after seeing what Anakin had become, still couldn't kill his friend.

Goddman it, George Lucas is a genius.

same energy as when batman said "i wont kill you but i dont have to save you" despite being directly responsible for taking out the rail
or when batman refused to kill that one thief so he blew up the entire building including that same thief

i will not kill my friend anakin i will simply cut off all his limbs and watch as his useless body rolls down to a lava lake and burns to death

look guys nobodies judging, it was self defense, ra's and anakin both had to go and left you little choice, but let's be honest about what happened here
you did what must be done

obi totally assumed anakin would be dead
whoopsies

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obi wan didn't know he'd survive plain and simple

If he got like some force vision and like saw everything he probably would have turned right around and executed him.

And some off yall is soft as hell, Anakin at this point has already killed kids. Friend or no, once that line was crossed you got to go.