• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
When Iron Man went back to 1970, why didn't Tony Stark warned Howard(his dad) about his assassination?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure one of their main aims was not to change the things that happened. Just grab the stones. Why not just ask this in the main thread?

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
It wouldn't change anything in his own timeline. Would create an alternate timeline where he survives, sure, but maybe Tony understood that it wouldn't be of any weight to him personally and that it could potentially lead to worse events in this new timeline.

Nov 8, 2017
The film doesn't really make clear what's "ok" to change, what isn't, and whether things are alternate universes, or whether they are the same. Like the ancient one makes it sound like they're dooming an alternate timeline to nonexistence if they don't return the time stones, but when Cap takes the slow boat home at the end he does reemerge in the future where he was sent from so it wasn't an alternate universe at all in that case, even though he did change make alterations to the timeline by living out his retirement there.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I thought the idea was to not mess up and create alternate time lines, they where just borrowing the stones then cap had to put them back.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The film doesn't really make clear what's "ok" to change, what isn't, and whether things are alternate universes, or whether they are the same. Like the ancient one makes it sound like they're dooming an alternate timeline to nonexistence if they don't return the time stones, but when Cap takes the slow boat home at the end he does reemerge in the future where he was sent from so it wasn't an alternate universe at all in that case, even though he did change make alterations to the timeline by living out his retirement there.

I think it was unclear whether he actually made any alterations to the timeline - I got the impression he tried to live his life in anonymity, and afaik there's nothing that directly contradicts that happening.

That said, I'm also not a hardcore MCU lore nerd, so I could easily have missed something.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You fundamentally misunderstood the film. Cap lived for 80 years in an alternative universe and did not pop back into MCU until the lake scene.

MCU is a causal universe. Kind of like DBZ universe. Hulk says so.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I think it was unclear whether he actually made any alterations to the timeline - I got the impression he tried to live his life in anonymity, and afaik there's nothing that directly contradicts that happening.

That said, I'm also not a hardcore MCU lore nerd, so I could easily have missed something.
Resetting the stones prevents timeline splits from happening, so OG Cap gets to stay in the prime timeline without having to return.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resetting the stones prevents timeline splits from happening, so OG Cap gets to stay in the prime timeline without having to return.
Sorcerer supreme has a whole speech about how what you just said is wrong. Returning the stoned prevents the universe from devolving into disorder, not from splitting.

Nov 8, 2017
Or, that is what always happened in this timeline.

You can't have a stable time loop and parallel universe time travel at the same time, at least not coherently. If the act of time travel deploys you to a parallel universe, and Cap wasn't "yanked back" like everyone else in the movie was, then he's still in an alternate universe. It's inconsistent.

You fundamentally misunderstood the film. Cap lived for 80 years in an alternative universe and did not pop back into MCU until the lake scene.

MCU is a causal universe. Kind of like DBZ universe. Hulk says so.

If he popped back in the universe, he would have arrived at the quantum tunnel. Because that's how it works, unless they made an exception for this one scene and nothing else and it was never explained on screen as such.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Resetting the stones only prevents the timeline where it was removed for a short time to head towards doom. There was nothing said about timesplits only happening if you remove a stone.
My understanding is that Bruce showed that returning the stone prevented the split from occuring at all.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stark wasn't going to do anything to jeopardize the birth of his daughter.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
My understanding is that Bruce showed that returning the stone prevented the split from occuring at all.
Timeline is split without the stone leaving already. Loki escaped. A second Cap was in NY. Events have been altered. There's a timeline where Thanos isn't there anymore because he went to the main one and died, you don't need to remove a stone to make a timesplit.

Timetravel in this movie (what I think is the best explanation currently):
4L6tN5u.png

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That shouldn't be possible though since he created a new timeline when he jumped back.
It's still his future. That's the whole point. You cannot jump into your own past but jumping into your future is fine. Cap went back to an alternate 1940 where he lived a whole life and then he jumped back to his 2024 5 seconds in the future, thereby maintaining causality.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's still his future. That's the whole point. You cannot jump into your own past but jumping into your future is fine. Cap went back to an alternate 1940 where he lived a whole life and then he jumped back to his 2024 5 seconds in the future, thereby maintaining causality.
...that's exactly my point.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he can return to the prime MCU universe because hulk opened the gate.
Yes I know. I don't know why you're replying to me with this.

I think that no matter what, alternate timelines exist by the end of the movie. Thanos leaving his time, Loki escaping... I wonder if any of that will be addressed in the future, or just let go. We'll see.
Well yeah. Your post was making it sound like old Cap was in a casual loop in the main timeline.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

It doesn't prevent the split, only limits the unpredictable consequences of having a stone removed.

For example the timeline where Loki escaped with the Tesseract is probably forever altered, as well as the timeline where Thanos followed the avengers into the prime timeline and then was killed.

The Thor 2 timeline probably plays out basically the same as the prime timeline.

OP
OP
Slipknot666

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
But Caps when to the past and stayed there and popped back in the endgame present, that changed the present isn't it? Old caps didn't exist before in that timeline

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
When Iron Man went back to 1970, why didn't Tony Stark warned Howard(his dad) about his assassination?
He can't change his past. He would just create an alternative timeline with unpredictable consequences.

But Caps when to the past and stayed there and popped back in the endgame present, that changed the present isn't it? Old caps didn't exist before in that timeline
We don't know that, do we?

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

You can change the present and future with time travel. Hell you can change the present and future without time travel. Everything you do changes the present and future.

But you can't change the past of your own timeline, even with time travel.

Ribs

Dec 10, 2017
You can't have a stable time loop and parallel universe time travel at the same time, at least not coherently. If the act of time travel deploys you to a parallel universe, and Cap wasn't "yanked back" like everyone else in the movie was, then he's still in an alternate universe. It's inconsistent.

If he popped back in the universe, he would have arrived at the quantum tunnel. Because that's how it works, unless they made an exception for this one scene and nothing else and it was never explained on screen as such.

It is possible that what we saw was the parallel universe with Cap waiting all those years. The original universe he never comes back, period.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The way I understood it, Cap jumps back and lives a second life with Peggy while his previous self is frozen, thawed, goes through all the events of the movies, defeats Thanos, and finally jumps back

Hence a loop, but it requires him to not interfere with his original self, as it's ongoing.

In other words there has been an aging Steve Rodgers with Peggy all this time

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what they did. Russos wanted Cap to be sitting by the lake so they changed the rules. It's messy.

Nov 13, 2017
It doesn't prevent the split, only limits the unpredictable consequences of having a stone removed.

For example the timeline where Loki escaped with the Tesseract is probably forever altered, as well as the timeline where Thanos followed the avengers into the prime timeline and then was killed.

The Thor 2 timeline probably plays out basically the same as the prime timeline.

How do they turn the stones back to their previous shape though.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
The way I understood it, Cap jumps back and lives a second life with Peggy while his previous self is frozen, thawed, goes through all the events of the movies, defeats Thanos, and finally jumps back

Hence a loop, but it requires him to not interfere with his original self, as it's ongoing.

This is how I saw it too, and this works if resetting the stones prevents timeline splits.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

No, that's in another universe/reality. In the Avengers timeline Peggy married someone else.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Tony: "I'm your son from the future! Be careful on such-and-such date! A super soldier frozen during World War II and presumed dead will assassinate you and mom! I have to go, now! A giant purple alien put some colored gems in a big golden glove and snapped half of the universe's living beings out of existence. We're going back to undo it! Remember that date!"

Howard: "OH, OKAY, I'LL BE SURE TO DO THAT, CRAZY PERSON."

Status
Not open for further replies.